Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #031

Just curious, has anyone ever thought of pairing up this Donkey Kong rip off with a Kecleon in doubles? Kecleon does get Skill Swap as an Egg Move, and while he has a base 40 Speed, he does get Protean as a hidden ability...

Slaking- King Kong
    - Ability: Truant
    - Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb
    - Nature: Jolly (+ Spd, - Sp. Atk)
    - EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd, 4 HP
    Moves:
    - Giga Impact/Return
    - Earthquake/Rock Slide
    - Shadow Claw
    - Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Brick Break/Slack Off

With any Protean Pokemon in general, you can basically do whatever you want. This set works similar to every Greninja set out there: switch in and destroy with unlimited STABs. Getting off a Skill Swap with Kecleon is the difficult part, but if you can manage to find a way to do it without it dying first, Slaking will gain the ability to hit stuff... hard.

Return is a heavy hitting move, no matter how you look at it. It will get STAB without Protean. Giga Impact is an option just in case of not getting Protean quick enough. Earthquake is your most powerful move. It will hit anything and everything that isn't flying. Rock Slide is also another option, depending on what you want for your team. Shadow Claw takes care of ghosts. The last slot is whatever else fits. Fire and Thunder Punch both take care of Skarmory and Ferrothorn, a couple of things that can survive an Earthquake with ease. Brick break is for any other Steels or Normals that feel like opposing you. Slack off heals damage from Life Orb and any other damage Slaking takes. The only reason Hammer Arm isn't on here is that is comes with a speed drop, which a sweeper does not like.

I've only taken a quick look at King's moves. I haven't really dove into specific movesets. However, whichever moves you choose, a Protean Slaking is something to be feared.

Another plus: you can use Kecleon to give Protean to other Pokemon, if it survives.

3DS Friend Code: 3110-3953-0871
    IGN: Ashley

Spoiler:- Pokegyms Badges:

Quote Originally Posted by What does the Dephox say? View Post
    If you are using Slaking for any reason you are probably using it for fun, but not seriously. There are a ton of other, better hard hitting Pokemon even in NU.
    Meh, Slaking wasn't a terrible Scarfer in BW NU. I actually ran it on an offensive team as a Scarf user, and it did pretty well. It was often hit-and-run anyway due to the nature of Choice items, so Truant wasn't that much of an hindrance. It hit really, really hard for a Scarf Pokemon; for instance, its Return was hitting with about 94% as much power as Sheer Force Tauros's Life Orb-boosted Rock Climb, and its Earthquake was about 7% stronger. I also loved how bulky it was. It had about 5.4% more physical bulk than Intimidate Tauros did, while also having way more special bulk (~91% as much as Jirachi). It speed tier was also pretty good for a Scarf user since it could outspeed things like Scarf Jynx and Scarf Primeape. I eventually ended up switching to Scarf Tauros anyway just because I missed the ability to hit switch-ins twice for the 2HKO and to sweep late-game when Normal resists were removed, but Slaking still did okay.

As far as Giga Impact goes, I guess it's fine if you want to run it as a secondary STAB or something, provided that you have something more reliable to fall back on. Slaking can do some work with a Choice set, but the last thing you need to do is lock yourself in and potentially give the opponent two free turns to work with (one free turn while you switch out is bad enough). Besides, you probably get enough coverage between Return + Earthquake + Night Slash that the last moveslot is more of a luxury anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Meh, Slaking wasn't a terrible Scarfer in BW NU. I actually ran it on an offensive team as a Scarf user, and it did pretty well. It was often hit-and-run anyway due to the nature of Choice items, so Truant wasn't that much of an hindrance. It hit really, really hard for a Scarf Pokemon; for instance, its Return was hitting with about 94% as much power as Sheer Force Tauros's Life Orb-boosted Rock Climb, and its Earthquake was about 7% stronger. I also loved how bulky it was. It had about 5.4% more physical bulk than Intimidate Tauros did, while also having way more special bulk (~91% as much as Jirachi). It speed tier was also pretty good for a Scarf user since it could outspeed things like Scarf Jynx and Scarf Primeape. I eventually ended up switching to Scarf Tauros anyway just because I missed the ability to hit switch-ins twice for the 2HKO and to sweep late-game when Normal resists were removed, but Slaking still did okay.

As far as Giga Impact goes, I guess it's fine if you want to run it as a secondary STAB or something, provided that you have something more reliable to fall back on. Slaking can do some work with a Choice set, but the last thing you need to do is lock yourself in and potentially give the opponent two free turns to work with (one free turn while you switch out is bad enough). Besides, you probably get enough coverage between Return + Earthquake + Night Slash that the last moveslot is more of a luxury anyway.
    I used it as a Scarfer before and you're right, it's really solid. I agree Tauros is better though because you can run Adamant and still outrun Scarfed base Jolly 95s although the damage output is significantly less (though more over two turns as you said). Despite being bulkier than Tauros I liked intimidate because it could screw over a lot of things even if it was low on health.

As for Giga Impact yeah it pretty much gets all its coverage with three moves. But has anyone ever considered Double Edge? It has 17.64% more power than Return and the recoil isn't that much on something with 150 base HP.

I wouldn't say it's special attack is completely wasted. Base 95 is decent, and with a decent special move pool it can be put to good use. A personal set I run without bank:

Hit-and-run-king
    - Ability: Truant
    - Item: Choice band
    - Nature: Naughty (+ Atk, - Sp. Def)
    - EVs: 252 Hp/252 Atk, 4 Sp. Atk
    Moves:
    - Retaliate/Return
    - Earthquake/Hammer arm
    - Night slash
    - Fire blast
    Fire blast easily OHKO's Scizor and Ferrothorn, catching the opponent off guard.
    IGN: Reavis FC: 1005-9620-0912 (Y/OR) Friend Safari: (Grass): Pansage, Swadloon, Gogoat
        Spoiler:- Credits:

It's good old Slaking again !

Slaking is actually very good in doubles when you put him next to Cofagrigus.
    Now with Assault vest being availlable for him, Slaking becomes an very Hard hitting tank pokemon in general.

The unexpected Tank in doubles.

Slaking @ Assault Vest
    Abillity: Truant
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 124 HP , 156 ATK, 4 defence, 116 Sp.def, 108 Speed.

- Body slam
    - Pursuit
    - Power-up-punch
    - Earthquake / Bulldoze / Rock slide

EV Guide:
    One would wonder why not to put 252 Spd ev's into Slaking so he can outspeed alot with his 100 base speed.
    But this set is so designed that he can take several hits from both angles (Sp.attack and Attack)
    the 104 speed is to make sure it will outrun an Jolly Breloom that tries to spore it, that means that with the giving EV spread it can outrun every fully invested 70 base speed mon.
    156 EV's in attack reaches an Break point in stats and will become 220 on lvl 50, thats powerfull enough to create holes in your opposing team, and there is always Power-up-punch that can get you stronger anyway. The rest of the EV's are put into Bulk mostly in special because you do want to get some special hits in Doubles with all the CharY's going around.

Use Guide.

Your partner is Cofagrigus, hit your partner with Pursuit (Dont worry it doesnt Scratch's Cofag at all) and lose that Truant abillity for the Mummy.
    Now your free to go and wreck havoc on the field. Body slam is your main STab of choice, and its Para chance can defenalty come in handing since you are not fully invested in speed.
    Power-up-punch is there if you want some extra power boost for the upcoming Body slam and its Fighting move so It can still do quite some damage with his massive attack stat
    when its Super effective. The last option is rather an preference of yours.. If you team struggles against Char Y and Talfonflame you should go for Rock slide.
    If your team is in general in lack of speed Bulldoze is a nice option that Slaking itself can benefit from aswell due its not fully invested speed. But if your good with those 2 options
    and you have a team member that is Immune to ground, than Earthquake is the best choice for most power and Wide range move.

There is one thing that ruins Slaking, and that is Will-o-wisp.
    Another good partner for him would be Aromatisse or Florges which can either use Healer or Aromatherapy
    plus they can bring fear on the field for opposing Fighting types that threathen Slaking.
    His best partner after Cofagrigus would be Heall Bell Togetic/Togekiss with Follow me so she can take incoming Will o's and fighting moves with ease
    and give Slaking the oppertunity to do some Power-up-punches.

In general with this set, it can also function quite well as an counter towards Trick room teams, being not totally reliable on his speed stat
    but rather sitting in the Mid line of Slow and Quick.

Hope you guys like it, and give him a try in Doubles !
    Last edited by Azulart; 27th May 2014 at 10:32 PM.

In Doubles and Triple Battles, it is possible to change Slaking's ability, I think.
    Couldn't you just bring like an Aromatisse, a Reuniclus, or a Sylveon, a Carbink...or whatever gets Skill Swap?
    Also, Simple Beam can be used with Audino, Beheeyem, or...Genesect if you really want to waste a move.
    Role Play can be used by Greninja or Delphox. Imagine Slaking with Protean. o.o
    Gastro Acid can be used by various Grass and Poison types.
    I hope they actually do work in Doubles and Triples!
    Superelectivire for the win!
    Favorite PKMN - Electivire
    Best Battler - Cloyster
    Have a couple shinies possibly for trade: Charizard, Azumarill.
    5 IV, EV trained, Impish Nature, Hidden Ability, Pokerus, Earthquake, Toxic, Protect, U-turn, Gligar
    -HP/Atk/Def/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Mega Launcher, Sassy Nature, Clawitzer
    -HP/Def/Sp.Atk/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Mega Launcher, Modest Nature, Clauncher
    -HP/Def/Sp.Atk/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Bashful Nature, Hidden Ability, Shroomish
    -HP/Atk/Def/SDef/Spd
    Trading 4 IV, Timid Nature, Own Tempo, Smeargle
    -HP/Def/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Adamant, Honedge
    -Offering many different 5 IV Honedges
    Trading 3-4 IVs of various Pokemon

Changing Slaking's ability in doubles / triples is fairly pointless. What do you really get? Slaking is strong but not really that powerful. For example anything with 129 or higher base attack and a 120 base power STAB move will hit harder than Slaking's Return. Keldeo Hydro Pump, Heatran Fire Blast, Terrakion Close Combat, Latias Draco Meteor... Slaking's Return is only about 13% stronger than Azumarill's Play Rough.

Is it worth it to dedicate an entire Pokemon, moveslot, and turn to giving Slaking a less useless ability? Why not just use Mega Kangaskhan who has the same speed, better Attack, better movepool, and an ability that basically destroys everything in the game. Or if you're playing singles in a format where mega Kangaskhan is banned why not just use one of the legions of Pokemon that hit around as hard as Slaking but with better typing / movepool / ability?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12