Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #032

Default Community POTW #032

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and this week we get another fantastic one

Granbull was previously a rather mediocre Normal-type Pokémon that was seldom used. However, with the X & Y shift, it became a pure Fairy-type which changes it completely.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/210.shtml

Go nuts

Granbull was just a weaker Ursaring… The changes offered to it in Gen VI have made it a far more interesting pokemon.

Granbull is meant to be a physical sweeper: one look at its ATK stat will tell you that. That combined with the movepool of a normal type (which Granbull previously was), and Granbull is sure to have the right move for the right pokemon. The problem is whether or not Granbull lives long enough to use it. While its HP is above average; both of its defenses are below average to poor, and it is outrun by most of the game.

Old Dog, New Trick Room
    Granbull (Intimidate)
    Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
    -Play Rough
    -Earthquake
    -Wild Charge/Rock Slide/Thunder Fang/Ice Fang
    - Close Combat/Crunch
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) or Brave (+ATK, -SPD)
    Evs: 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SDEF

While Granbull cannot setup Trick Room itself, it certainly flourishes in such an environment. Play Rough is your bread and butter physical STAB. Earthquake synergizes well with Play Rough, hitting Poison, Steel and Fire types that resist Fairy moves. Wild Charge and the fangs are for Flying opponents that would otherwise ignore Earthquake (preference on whether or not you like recoil). Rock Slide also synergizes well with Earthquake. Last move is down to what you want to cover. Close Combat gives you fantastic offensive coverage, at the price of nerfing your already poor defenses. Crunch is not as detrimental, but its coverage isn’t as impressive.

Other Options

-Fire Fang/Elemental Punches
    Fire Fang does give Granbull additional coverage, while the Elemental Punches are a clear superior option to the fangs if you can transfer a Granbull.

-Outrage
    Powerful neutral coverage, but you come setup bait for opposing Fairy and Steel types.

-Thunderwave
    Bring opponents down to Granbull’s speed in a non-trick room environment

-Heal Bell
    While Granbull is generally too frail to be on support, Heal Bell is still a very powerful option for the team
    Last edited by Mestorn; 3rd June 2014 at 1:50 PM. Reason: Pika250 mentions that bugs don't resist fairy :P
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Just want to point out that at this point, Close Combat is illegal with the Elemental punches :/

Granbull is hideously slow, and Defenses are mediocre.
    It has decent HP, I guess, and high attack. I feel it only serves as a bulky hard hitter.

Has 3 cool abilities, but 2 of them are wasted since it's speed is so horrible...
    Intimidate: Always a great ability on any Pokemon. Lowers their attack on a switch-in? It always works.
    Quick Feet: Speed increased by 50% (+1 equivalent) if hit with a status. His speed is only 207 at max, giving him just over 310 speed with the ability activated, barely able to outspeed most other Pokemon.
    Rattled (HA): Speed increased by 50% (+1 equivalent) if hit by a Bug, Ghost, or Dark move. Granbull now resists Dark and Bug, but then again it's speed is so low that it's barely noticeable.

Granbull
    - Play Rough
    - Earthquake
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch / Ice Fang / Thunder Fang / Fire Fang
    Item: Choice Band / Leftovers / Life Orb
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)

Play Rough is it's most reliable STAB move. Earthquake hits Poison, Steel, and Fire types that resist Play Rough. Close Combat also hits Steels as well, since most Steels have some kind of interesting second typing or some stuff. Last move is mainly just for coverage. Choice Band hits hard with base 120 attack. Leftovers is decent simply because it's so slow and frail that any type of survivability could work. Life Orb is for the extra power. Intimidate is really it's only viable ability option, but no worries, it's a good ability at least.
    Last edited by Pokeman Man; 1st June 2014 at 11:55 PM.
    In-game name: Carl
    Friend Code: 3325-3523-8312
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Pancham / Mienfoo / Riolu

How am I supposed to expect the unexpected if expecting the unexpected turns the unexpected into the expected?

Since I am back to school, I have little to no time to visit the forums during the weekdays, but the weekends I am almost always available. I still accept breeding requests, but don't expect me to finish them quickly.

11/16/14 - I accidentally release my hatched Shiny Riolu because I was busy watching anime.

Stats
    Granbull, eh? This guy is unusual. on the plus side, 120 Atk and 90 HP are definite selling points, but 75/60 defenses and 45 spd really let it down. SpAtk isn't too good either, at 60, but no-one cares about that one anyway.

Abilities
    It has Intimidate, Quick Feet and Rattled. Intimidate really is its best one, although Rattled can be used to bolster the speed to usable levels, as it resists two of the types that activate it. Quick Feet shouldn't be used. If it gets statused, the speed won't help. You're screwed anyway.

Movepool
    Physically, Play Rough is a must, vicious STAB with the added bonus of potentially lowering their Atk. Otherwise, EQ, Stone Edge, Outrage, Iron Tail, the elemental punches and fangs, Crunch, Close Combat, Payback, Superpower, Feint Attack, Wild Charge and Brick Break. Massive coverage selection, but limited by the speed. Specially, Shadow Ball, Hyper Voice, Dazzling Gleam, Thunderbolt, Solarbeam, Flamethrower/Fire Blast and Focus Blast are choices here, although they shouldn't be used. It's like a physical Alakazam set, possible, but not plausible. For status moves, it gets Roar and Metronome as it's main plausible threats, although Roar is more niche, and Metronome is hazardous at best, with the Splash chance.

Set
    Ain't nothing but a hound dog
    Granbull@AV
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spd
    Adamant
    -Play Rough
    -EQ
    -Close Combat
    -Wild Charge

Simple set. The only setup Granbull can get is from BP, or Trick Room, as it's too frail to set up alone. Hit as hard as you can with the time you've got. EQ covers the weaknesses, Wild Charge hits Skarm heavily, CC just hurts anything it isn't resisted by.

Doubles/Triples
    Fairly useful in a TR team, but EQ weakness isn't great. That and you speed tie with Golem...

Pros/Cons
    +New typing, makes it usable
    +Hits hard
    +Massive physical movepool
    -Speed tie with Golem, the epitome of slowness.
    -Fragile
    Last edited by Ironthunder1604; 1st June 2014 at 5:18 PM.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...

Granbull favors physical opponents that shiver from its ability to intimidate. Nuff said... but its perks are worth looking over anyway.

Item: Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant or Brave
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 HP or 252 SDef/4 Def
    Play Rough
    Close Combat
    Payback/Crunch/Wild Charge
    Earthquake

This set might be the primary and best solution for a Granbull in singles. Granbulls want their opponents to make the first move due to their lack of speed, but that does not mean they want to go down instantly. If banded, this set is meant to take down the pokemon in a single blow. With intimidate, it has the bulk to survive major physical attacks like Return and Earthquake. This means that under the right conditions, threats like Garchomp and Mega Kangaskhan are KOed instantly before they get another turn to fight back. Dragons in general can't stand him. In fact if Granbull switches in while they're paralyzed, its an even more sure fire win. And due to its new Fairy typing (odd as it may seem to many people, but I still find it interesting) moves like Superpower and Suckerpunch Barely phaze it.
    This has to be the best improvement Granbull got since ever.

But while Granbull's power is immense, its speed does still leave it open to other counters. Specs powered pokemon are brutal to even the most specially defensive Granbulls. Assault Vest can fix that for maybe a turn, but that means slicing away a chunk of Granbull's destructive power which hurts its useability somewhat unless its fighting against a dragon like Hydreigon or Scarf-chomp. Also, watch out for Scizors and Mega Mawiles. Your best bet with them is to Quake them as they are switching in. Will o' Wisp burns away all of Granbull's hopes and dreams, unless it has Quick Feet to deliver a lucky double attack (surprises still make for good strategies at times). But I would still suggest a safeguard or misty terrain be up for this opportunity to work longer. Finally, Mega Gengar just pummels it. Only fight that pokemon with Crunch and either during a trick room or when it is paralyzed, because there is little else Granbull can do to a sludge bombing ghost that entraps it.

As far as partner pokemon go, Consider rock or electric pokemon if Granbull is without Wild Charge for Talonflame, Gyarados and other Flying pokemon. Fire pokemon cover its steel weaknesses, and it doesn't hurt to have a steel or poison pokemon of your own to hide behind Granbull's typing weaknesses. And also prepare a special sweeper to switch in with so that Will O' Wisp doesn't hurt Granbull's physical movesets.

And although Granbull is great, I have a bigger heart for Snubbull (At least some of us can see its adorable appeal, right?). I especially like using Snubbull as well in these circumstances, but mostly in doubles or triples, and while equipping an eviolite. Even when its Snubbull, dragons gulp their saliva in fear of its determination and droopily angry demeanor.
    Last edited by Rokonpower; 1st June 2014 at 3:38 PM.

Ubers are strong, but do you really need six?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeman Man View Post
    Just want to point out that at this point, Close Combat is illegal with the Elemental punches :/
    How exactly? It's only illegal on Kalos born variants. Close Combat has been an egg move for it since gen 4.
    Last edited by Specialbeamcanon; 1st June 2014 at 3:38 PM.

Granbull is one of the few pokemon that can learn Heall bell by its own without the help of Move tutors in BW2.

Granbull is a funky pokemon because well its a weird pokemon.. I mean it looks like vicious doge
    but wears the title of a fairy. Anyway, I dont recommand using Granbull in OU, I tried but it never really works out
    not to mention that his other physical fairy partners Azumarill and Mawile outclasses it in general, therefore he gets a nice place in the lower tiers.

Granbull can take 2 jobs, offensive and cleric.

[ViciousDog]
    Granbull @ SitrusBerry / Leftovers
    Abillity: Intimidate
    Nature: Adamant
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spd
    -Play Rough
    -Earthqauke
    -Power-up-punch
    -Thunder Wave

Granbull's use of T-wave is rather a blessng for it's somehow poor speed stat. With this set it can hit hard while being annoying aswell.
    What makes Granbull strong though and unique as an Physical fairy user is option to learn him Earthqauke. With earthquake it can take out it's weaknesses pretty well.
    Granbull is also a nice answer to fighting types, he can come in one the switch, intimidate them and T-wave it if they switch or stay in. Play rough is the stab of choice and Power-up-punch is there if you feel lucky on a paralyze. I prefer Sitrus berry over Leftovers because the sitrus berry can save him from an 2HitKo move and will restore quite some Hp due its good HP stat.

Fairy Doge.
    Granbull @ Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.def
    -Play Rough
    -Roar/Earthquake
    -Heal bell
    -Thunder Wave

With intimidate and fully investment in defence he becomes a very nice answer for a team that is weak to Fighting types and in general quite an solid wall with his nice Hp stat.
    This set takes more the roll of an Cleric, if you have pokemons in your team with rest or are easily crippeld with burns than give Cleric Granbull an consideration.
    What makes this set very unique is that his play Rough still hits hard while being able to support his teamates. The set speaks for itself but there is an option to remove Roar for Earthquake
    to still be able to down the poison and steel type but Roar works in general better if you have Spikes or Stealth rocks on the opposing field, this also stops Set-uppers aswell.

Granbull's sky-high Attack stat and great offensive movepool may seem enticing, but remember that pure Fairy is a great defensive typing and Intimidate allows Granbull to check and counter some of the premier physical threats in NU.

Granbull @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Earthquake
    - Thunder Wave
    - Heal Bell

On balanced or semi-stall NU teams this generation, Granbull excels as a hard counter to beasts like Virizion, Primeape, and Sawk. Even without investment, Granbull has quite high Attack, and will be able to easily tank their -1 hits and retaliate with an OHKO in the form of Play Rough. With Earthquake, it can hit the myriad of Fire types in the tier on the predicted switch, and do some serious damage to them if not KO weakened ones. Thunder Wave is really good to slow down offensive teams, as Sticky Web offense is a really good playstyle right now and having the ability to negate the Speed drops is amazing. Finally, Heal Bell allows Granbull to support its own team by ridding every Pokemon of status, enabling stallers to continue stalling and sweepers to have a second chance at sweeping.

Focus on how Granbull will perform in NU, because that's where it's tiered and where it will likely stay.
    Last edited by The Imposter; 1st June 2014 at 4:18 PM. Reason: wow azulart so ninja

Granbull was versatile on Move Types when it was a Normal Type. Now it has a niche few Fairy Types can fill on coverage.

Stats:
    -HP - Good - Granbull had decent HP for a Normal Type and Base 90 has the means to make Fairy less fragile as a Type.
    -Attack - Godly - Base 120.
    -Defense - Below Average - Base 75 is kind of a letdown now that Granbull is weak to Poison and Steel instead of Fighting - two Types chock-full of Physical Moves. Fortunately, Intimidate helps.
    -Sp.Atk - Mediocre - Base 60? How 'bout "no" on that, m'kay?
    -Sp.Def - Mediocre - Base 60 isn't as bad as it could be, but Poison is full of Special Moves, too.
    -Speed - Good (Trick Room) - Base 45 is just below the Base 50 threshold I use for Trick Room usability.

Abilities:
    -Intimidate - A yummy Ability for a Fairy. Far better in Doubles/Triples.
    -Quick Feet - A "meh" Ability for something that slow. Can be useful with Façade, I guess...
    -Rattled (Hidden, Available [Poké Transfer or Friend Safari]) - Another "meh" Ability because of Speed (again), but better than it was when Granbull was a Normal Type (now it resists Bug and Dark instead of being immune to Ghost).

Overall, Granbull brought its Normal-Type versatility to the Fairy-Type table and has a bite-hold on the Physical Fairy niche that is only surpassed by Mega-Mawile and Xerneas. Play Rough plays well with that Attack and many other Physical options make Granbull a brute. The only major downfall is how fragile and slow Granbull is; versatility means little without the means to survive.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Becoming a Fairy-type is awesome, but is not enough for Granbull.
    STAB Play Rough with coverage from Earthquake and Wild Charge hits practically everything. Granbull is very versatile, with moves like Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, and Roar to provide support.
    Problem is, Granbull has horrible stats outside of attack. There is no dodging that fact. If you really want to use a physical Fairy-type, you're better off with Azumarill or Mega-Mawile.
    That being said, Granbull makes a great Baton Pass recipient. Play Rough and Earthquake has fantastic type coverage that is blocked by Charizard (not Mega X), Moltres, Skarmory, Gengar (sort of), Crobat, Weezing, Ho-oh (don't worry about this one), Levitate Bronzong, and Talonflame. The ones that are underlined are very uncommon.
    I claim Buizel.

I'm surprised no one posted a set with quick feet as of yet.

Granbull @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Quick Feet
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    - Protect

To make up for its lack of speed, Quick Feet along with Speed investments and Jolly nature could potentially allow Granbull to outspeed some slower mons not using Choice Scarf such as Tyranitar or an Excadrill without Sand Rush bonus. Protect ensures Toxic Orb kicks in for the Quick Feet. Play Rough is for the STAB, while Earthquake covers all resistances to the Fairy Type attacks. Fire Fang handles what Earthquake does not do well against such as Skarmory or Scizor.
    My current (Would-be) Team

Yup, pretty borderline.

Just wanted to point this out, but bug doesn't resist fairy...
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

Quote Originally Posted by pika250 View Post
    Just wanted to point this out, but bug doesn't resist fairy...
    Fairy resists bug. Who said anything about bug resisting fairy?

Type: Fairy

Only in Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzan View Post
    I'm surprised no one posted a set with quick feet as of yet.

Granbull @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Quick Feet
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    - Protect

To make up for its lack of speed, Quick Feet along with Speed investments and Jolly nature could potentially allow Granbull to outspeed some slower mons not using Choice Scarf such as Tyranitar or an Excadrill without Sand Rush bonus. Protect ensures Toxic Orb kicks in for the Quick Feet. Play Rough is for the STAB, while Earthquake covers all resistances to the Fairy Type attacks. Fire Fang handles what Earthquake does not do well against such as Skarmory or Scizor.
    The reason no-one's suggested a Quick Feet set is because it isn't the best set going. Granbull's easy enough to KO as it is, without residual from poison/burn.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...

Ha, this was actually a Pokemon I was hoping to get in my HG Nuzlocke challenge... anyway.

Bully
    Granbull (Ability: Intimidate -- Nature: Jolly)
    Shell Bell
    Movesets
    Earthquake
    Bulk Up
    Play Rough
    Payback
    EVs
    HP 44 / Attack 212 / Def 132 / Sp. Def 122 (Edited These Azulart. xD)

Granbull's movesets makes Granbull himself stay longer in the battle, and keep fighting the opponent until it is KO'd. Granbull's attacks are all Physical, as Earthquake takes down Poison and Steel, which are effective to Fairy-types, Play Rough increases the Sp. Def of Granbull, and Payback works very efficiently because of Granbull's Attack EVs. Bulk Up supports Payback, Granbull's fairly low defense, which helps with Steel-types. It also helps its HP, which comes along the Shell Bell. The item works perfectly with Granbull, as its high attack can have Granbull restore some good amount of HP. Sp. Def comes in handy, since most of Poison-type moves are Special.

Positives:
    High Attack EVs.
    Can learn 15/18 types of moves.

Negatives:
    Low Speed EVs.

Feel free to let down below what you think--I don't do this frequently, so there may be some mistakes.
    Last edited by Snivy18; 1st June 2014 at 11:40 PM.

SHINIES

DRAGON EGGS

Click on the Egg/Dragon to help me grow them!
    You can make your own at www.dragcave.net!

Snivy, I think you went a little overboard with the given EV's. 510 is the max amount, yours has like 600+

Quote Originally Posted by Specialbeamcanon View Post
    How exactly? It's only illegal on Kalos born variants. Close Combat has been an egg move for it since gen 4.
    Ah, didn't know about that. I don't follow this Pokemon :/
    I guess if you want Close Combat and Elemental Punches, it has to be transferred.
    In-game name: Carl
    Friend Code: 3325-3523-8312
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Pancham / Mienfoo / Riolu

How am I supposed to expect the unexpected if expecting the unexpected turns the unexpected into the expected?

Since I am back to school, I have little to no time to visit the forums during the weekdays, but the weekends I am almost always available. I still accept breeding requests, but don't expect me to finish them quickly.

11/16/14 - I accidentally release my hatched Shiny Riolu because I was busy watching anime.

I personally just run this granbull in vgc cause it gets nice coverage

Granbull
    Brave
    Intimidate
    240 HP, 252 Atk, 16 Sp.atk
    Choice Band
    Play Rough
    Close Combat / Earthquake
    Crunch
    Fire Blast

Fire blast hits things like skarmory for decent damage which it otherwise would just wall it to hell and the surprise factor since you almost never would use its sp.atk stat at all since its just mediocre, play rough is stab, close combat hits chansey, blissey, lucario, Ferrothorn etc.... Earthquake is mainly for Charizard x, crunch hits gengar (if it can survive a sludge bomb)

And also a correction to everyone, the max evs for any pokemon in x and y is only 508 now and not 510

Granbull can be a good pokemon like Meowmeow said, and snivy why do you think play rough gives granbull more sp.def? Its only effect is the chance to lower the targets attack stat

If anyone knows better spreads to make granbull last longer in battles ev wise, let me know, I've only used the 252, 252, 4 spread so far and have yet to test any others

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Azulart View Post
    Snivy, I think you went a little overboard with the given EV's. 510 is the max amount, yours has like 600+
    1st calculate the numbers, before you make a false statment. the sum is 510 and not over 600

He edited Extrem, please read his post better. It clearly says he edited it.

Frankly the best set Granbull has going for it is as a Physical Tank/Supporter. Sure he's got attack. But he's faaaaar too slow to abuse it. Play on his Strengths: Good defensive typing. Buffered Defense thanks to Intimidate , good HP stat and passable defense (turns into base ~120 Def on the switch in off the top of my head thanks to lowering of defense on opponent pokemon). Passible support movepool consisting of thunder wave, reflect, roar and most importantly, the semi rare heal bell. So yeah, like this:

Granbull @ Leftovers
    252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spdef/Atk
    -Heal bell
    -Play Rough
    -Earthquake
    -Thunder Wave/Roar/Reflect

Heal Bell is the defining move of the set. 252 HP and Defense, intimidate and leftovers to maximize tanking potential. Play Rough for STAB. Earthquake is a great move to pair with Play rough, only walled by flying/levitating fire, steel and poison types. And then select the other supportive move of choice. Thunder wave can slow down opponents to aid a team mate to sweep, roar to phaze to prevent set-ups and potentially rack up hazard damage, and finally reflect to boost the defense of team mates if you need it.
    Beautifly are my Bishie!
    hands off or my Beautifly's shall take you away and have their way with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shiftry View Post
    Frankly the best set Granbull has going for it is as a Physical Tank/Supporter. Sure he's got attack. But he's faaaaar too slow to abuse it. Play on his Strengths: Good defensive typing. Buffered Defense thanks to Intimidate , good HP stat and passable defense (turns into base ~120 Def on the switch in off the top of my head thanks to lowering of defense on opponent pokemon). Passible support movepool consisting of thunder wave, reflect, roar and most importantly, the semi rare heal bell. So yeah, like this:

Granbull @ Leftovers
    252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spdef/Atk
    -Heal bell
    -Play Rough
    -Earthquake
    -Thunder Wave/Roar/Reflect

Heal Bell is the defining move of the set. 252 HP and Defense, intimidate and leftovers to maximize tanking potential. Play Rough for STAB. Earthquake is a great move to pair with Play rough, only walled by flying/levitating fire, steel and poison types. And then select the other supportive move of choice. Thunder wave can slow down opponents to aid a team mate to sweep, roar to phaze to prevent set-ups and potentially rack up hazard damage, and finally reflect to boost the defense of team mates if you need it.
    This is a well done one. I think in this kind of Granbull, it can be more of a 'Supportive' rather than an 'Offensive' Pokemon. These stats and movesets are all well done.

SHINIES

DRAGON EGGS

Click on the Egg/Dragon to help me grow them!
    You can make your own at www.dragcave.net!

Granbull's key Weakness comes from its Gen VI Type-change and lack of Speed. Many Poison and Steel Types outrun it with their Base Speed alone or have the Defense to tank Granbull's brute force Attack (or worse, both). Like Whimsicott, Fairy Type is not a generous change to Granbull. It loses Fighting-Type Weakness and changes immunities from Ghost to Dragon, but doubling Weaknesses like that is a major setback, especially due to the adaptation of Movesets to handle the new Type. I shudder to think of what happened to Clefable now...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Like Whimsicott, Fairy Type is not a generous change to Granbull. It loses Fighting-Type Weakness and changes immunities from Ghost to Dragon, but doubling Weaknesses like that is a major setback, especially due to the adaptation of Movesets to handle the new Type. I shudder to think of what happened to Clefable now...
    As was pointed out to you in the case of Whimsicott, Fairy typing is in fact a boon to pretty much every Pokemon who received it. It gets a far better STAB, extra resistances, and two less common weaknesses. Steel type attacks are not all that common in NU, with only Klinklang, Steelix, and Probopass seeing any kind of usage, and you don't see many steel type attacks on non-steel type Pokemon. Poison is equally uncommon, as almost no Pokemon that aren't poison types carry poison type moves. Fairy type is wildly better than normal by virtue of its resistances; resistances to Bug, Fighting, and Dark, and an immunity to Dragon, lets it check some very common physical attackers, especially with its access to Intimidate.

Clefable is sitting comfortably in OU, btw, a success that can be attributed at least in part to its new typing. Fairy type is actually good defensive typing, with only two weaknesses which can be easily worked around.

Fairy typing was a VERY generous change. Although in the case of Granbull, how it resembles a fairy is beyond me...
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast