Thread: Community POTW #033

Default Community POTW #033

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and once again we have got a great choice of Pokémon

It's Floatzel, the fast Water-type Pokémon from Sinnoh. This Pokémon is capable of a great deal and can hold its own in battle

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/419.shtml

Go nuts

Attackzel
    Floatzel@Life Orb
    Jolly nature
    Water Veil
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Waterfall/Aqua Tail
    ~Ice Fang/Ice Punch
    ~Crunch
    ~Brick Break/Low Kick

Floatzel is, IMO, pretty underrated. Good Attack, great Speed, workable movepool... Anyway, Waterfall is for STAB, though if you're cool with trading a little accuracy for a little extra power, Aqua Tail is a perfectly viable option. Ice Fang should ONLY be considered if you're breeding for a Kalos-born Floatzel, and ONLY because Kalos-born Floatzel cannot legally have Ice Punch. Yet. I'd bet my stockpile of Master Balls OR/AS will fix this. Anyway, there's Crunch, and then there's Brick Break (with the added option of Low Kick if you don't give a Raticate's *** about whether it's Kalos-born or not) for additional coverage.

Item is for boosting Floatzel's already nice Attack. Ability is for preventing burns.

Other options:
    *Floatzel can use Power-Up Punch to set up, but it doesn't exactly have the defenses for setting up, y'know? I think it's better suited for outright attacking.
    *Aqua Jet (and Quick Attack to a lesser extent) isn't a bad idea, in case you don't want to fall prey to priority moves completely.
    *Its Special Attack doesn't totally suck, so you could potentially scrape together a set with stuff like Scald, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, and Hidden Power Ghost. Still, though, I'd stick to physical moves.

Abilities:
    *Swift Swim: Floatzel's Speed is doubled in the rain. While moar Speed is usually a pretty good option to be carrying, Floatzel's already quite fast, so this reeks of overkill.
    *Water Veil: Floatzel's Hidden Ability. Floatzel cannot be burned. Given how badly burns cripple physical attackers like Floatzel, this is a pretty damn useful Ability for it.

Partners:
    A Speed Boost Scolipede with Swords Dance and Baton Pass. Pass a Swords Dance and maybe a Speed Boost or two to it, and... can you say "unstoppable killing machine"? Also doable with the Baton Passing Bug-type Scolipede dethroned as Speed Boost passing king, Ninjask. But Scolipede is the cooler option.

Counters:
    Priority moves are something you want to watch out for. Floatzel's defenses are kinda sucky. Mercifully it's not actually weak to any of the priority moves, but yeah, you still want to watch out for them.

Opinion:
    Underrated, awesome, I wish Ash's Buizel would've evolved.

Prediction for next week:
    Dedenne.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Floatzel @ Choice Band
    Jolly
    Water Veil
    252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    -Switcheroo
    -Waterfall / Aqua Tail
    -Ice Punch / Ice Fang
    -Low Kick / Brick Break

Hits hard and fast, has the ability to cripple support pokes by giving them a Choice Band. WaterFall is obvious STAB, Aqua Tail is stronger but misses when you need it most. Ice and Fighting for coverage, moves depend on the ability to transfer the moves.
    The Netherlands:
    ORAS Demo available at:
    - Nintendo Autumn Tour. Dates and locations found >here<
    - Using Nintendo Zone in a Game Mania store
    - Send me a VM, I have 1 extra code.

Shiny Gengar:
    - Autumn Tour, see above.

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Stats
    Wow, this is a blast from the past. 105 Atk and 115 Spd is perfect sweeping numbers, and 85 SpAtk is usable. Not awesome, but usable. However, a defensive spread of 85/55/50 is less than stellar, meaning if it doesn't kill, it's dead.

Movepool
    Physically, Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Aqua Tail, Ice Fang, Iron Tail, Ice Punch, Crunch and Brick Break are its' main choices. Not spectacular, with only five types. Specially, it packs Razor Wind, Hydro Pump/Surf, Blizzard/Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Brine and possibly Icy Wind. Also, not spectacular. Status-wise, the choices are Soak, Switcheroo, BPass, Aqua Ring, Agility, Growl and Water Sport. Some notable items here, with Switcherooing of choice, then Agility+BPass to a slow attacker.

Abilities
    Swift Swim or Water Veil are the choices here. SS in rain is OP as hell, but Water Veil stops the attack drop by burn. SS is probably better though.

Set
    Miles ahead of the pack (Sonic the hedgehog reference)
    Floatzel@Choice Scarf
    SS
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Adamant
    -Aqua Jet
    -Iron Tail
    -Crunch
    -Brick Break/Ice Punch
    Sweep the set. No setup, it's too fragile. If it can get something BPed to it, great. If not, just roll with what you've got.

Doubles/triples
    OK, but not great. Resists most wide-hitting moves, but the low defenses kinda screws that over. Still does the same job though, and can hit hard against most STAB EQ/Rock Slide users.

Counters
    A paralyzed Floatzel is a dead Floatzel. Simple as. So is a burned Floatzel, unless it has Water Veil. Also, if it is outsped, it's gone. Simple as. Anything who can outspeed it or status it is useful.

Pros/Cons
    +Great Atk and Spd
    -Poor movepool
    -Epitome of a glass cannon.
    Last edited by Ironthunder1604; 8th June 2014 at 2:11 PM.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    RIP Crusade's Order
    May the memories of it last many times longer than the guild.
        Spoiler:- VO stuff:

Floatzel, I always wanted to like this thing, but it always seemed held back in previous generations. Lets see if that has changed.

Floatzel is a physically oriented water type and certainly the fastest one this side of Arceus. Unfortunately it suffers from the speed is everything archetype, where a pokemon’s sole good stat is its speed. Its base attack is usable, don’t get me wrong, but non Intimidate Granbull is looking at the water weasel’s defenses and maniacally laughing. And the move pool is that of a generic water type… Floatzel has problems and the generation shift didn’t solve them.

You’re off the edge of the map
    Floatzel (Water Veil)
    Item: Choice Band
    -Waterfall/Aqua Tail
    -Pursuit/Crunch
    -Ice Fang/Ice Punch
    -Low Kick/Brick Break/Aqua Jet
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK)
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP

Premise is simple; outspeed and smash stuff with the appropriate move. Heck, due to Floatzel’s speed it can viably operate as a revenge killer even with a Choice Band (barring Scarfs, anything that boosts its speed and anything faster than Floatzel). Waterfall and Aqua Tail are for STAB, Pursuit on the off chance you scare something and Crunch for reliability, Ice Fang/Punch for Ice coverage, and you’re fighting move of choice or Aqua Jet for priority.

Other Options
    -Rock Tomb
    For extra coverage, but weak.

-Bulk Up
    Cures 2 problems Floatzel has… provided it can live long enough to use it.

-Soak
    Can cause interesting shenanigans, sadly no Grass or Electric moves to speak of.

I would include Focus Punch and Giga Impact, but seriously, you are seeing the extent of Floatzel’s physical movepool (which is still more varied then its special movepool).
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

I hate Floatzel. This thing is hideous. It is ugly beyond all reason. Why did the cutest creature of all time have to evolve into one of the ugliest creatures of all time? Ugh.
    Anyhow, Floatzel is a very one-dimensional Pokemon. However, it doesn't have many options to do that one job with.
    For STAB, Floatzel has Waterfall, Aqua Tail, and priority in Aqua Jet. For coverage, Floatzel can use, Ice Punch, Low Kick, Iron Tail, Return, Crunch, and Pursuit, which is not very good when you consider the fact that Iron Tail and Low Kick are options.
    Floatzel is a sub-par Pokemon that thrives in low tier combat as a high speed physical attacker that is the evolved form of Buizel, the cutest Pokemon ever.
    I claim Buizel.

Floatzel is one of my Favorite Pokémon for high-Speed teams. Fragile, yes, but hits like a hammer.

Stats:
    -HP - Good - Base 85 isn't bad, but it is made worse by those awful defenses.
    -Attack - Great - Base 105 Attack + good Physical Movepool = Awesome.
    -Defense - Mediocre-bordering-Bad - Base 55 is like a watered-down marinara: Weak Sauce.
    -Sp.Atk - Above Average - Base 85 isn't too bad, but pales to that Attack.
    -Sp.Def - Bad - Base 50 + Swift Swim Ability = Look at me! I'm a huge Thunder target!
    -Speed - Great-bordering-Godly (Non-Trick Room) - Base 115 is a huge asset to something with a high Attack or Sp.Atk stat.

Abilities:
    Swift Swim - Abusive with Rain Support, but you're so weak to Thunder, it may not be the best option.
    Water Veil (Hidden, Available [Poké Transfer or Friend Safari]) - A really good Ability to guard your Attack. On par with Swift Swim in usefulness, but useless against teams without the capacity to inflict Burns.

Overall, Floatzel is like a pane of glass: Solid, fragile, and deadly if it hits something just right. Floatzel is nothing to scoff at, but neither is it a long-term threat. If you can tank Floatzel, it's going down quickly.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Your Water is on Fire.
    Water Veil
    Jolly@FlameOrb
    -Switcheroo
    -Soak
    -Aqua Jet/Waterfall/Below Attacks
    -Low Kick/Ice Punch/Some Other Coverage Attack
    Lure in a wall, and give them a treat x3... Soak is for laughing off type-based pokes, like bulky steels.

Disclaimer
    Like all my sets, just for the trolls.
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

I love Floatzel, but it really needs improving on!

Ability: Swift Swim - so long as you have something else to set up Rain Dance! - Floatzel's defences are bad, so it's best that it takes out its opponent before they can take it out. It's other ability, Water Veil, prevents burns. As Floatzel is a physical attacker, this is good, but it's usually fire or ghost pokemon who carry Will-O-Wisp, and Floatzel should have Waterfall and Crunch to deal with them.

Item: Choice Band works very well with a Swift Swim set. As I said, Floatzel needs to take its opponents down before they can take it down, and doubling its speed and giving its attack stat a 50% boost is a must!

Attacks: As everyone else has said, Waterfall or Aqua Tail are the two possible STAB moves - which one you use depends on preference: a weaker, yet guaranteed blow, or a more powerful move that may miss. I'd go with Waterfall, because with its defences, Floatzel really can't afford to miss too much.

Then is the mandatory Ice Fang or Ice Punch. Obviously the punch is preferrable as it hits harder, but it isn't currently available for Kalos-native Floatzel.

Crunch and Brick Break are the best options for the last two slots. Crunch hits psychics and ghosts while Brick Break hits dark, steel and normal, as well as destorying screens.

Power-Up Punch is worth a mention, but it's not the best option. At best you could use it to land a finishing blow on something that's already taken serious damage (like something that survived with Sturdy) and therefore giving Floatzel a nice little attack boost for whatever's sent in next.

Double or Triple battle options: Don't use it. It may resist Surf and Blizzard, and it may not be weak to Rock Slide and Earthquake, but against multiple opponents, Floatzel will not last long.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

Floatzel, ahh. One of my most favorite Water-Type Pokemon.

Positives:
    Good Attack and Speed Base Stats.

Negatives:
    Bad Sp. Def stats, especially since most Grass and Electric-Type moves are Special Attacks.

Floatsies
    Floatzel w/ Scope Lens
    Swift Swim Ability, Gentle Nature
    Rain Dance
    Aqua Jet
    Slash
    Surf, Waterfall
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 3 Sp. Atk, 3 Sp. Def.

Having Floatzel with Swift Swim can seriously help Floatzel with its Water-Type moves and high Attack stat. The fact that its Speed and Attack is higher than Floatzel's other stats, it can possibly deal damage to Floatzel's opponent to near the red stage of HP, or even just KO it at a similar level. Floatzel seems more like it just wants to attack, other than trying to weaken the Pokemon and its stats.

SHINIES

DRAGON EGGS

Click on the Egg/Dragon to help me grow them!
    You can make your own at www.dragcave.net!

Yay, one of my ferrets is up!

Overview
    I really like Floatzel. Unfortunately, GameFreak wasn't quite as kind to it when they made it. Don't get me wrong: Floatzel has some key positives. Base 105 Attack and Base 115 Speed are really good, as they allow Floatzel to hit hard and fast. Base 85 HP and Sp. Attack aren't too bad, and the Sp. Attack allows for a bit of mixed sweeping potential. Sadly, the two big things that hinder Floatzel from being a top-tier threat (where I would like it to be) are its pitiful defenses (Base 55 and 50 suck) and a slightly less-than-stellar movepool, especially if you are restricted to Kalos-native Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, Floatzel is a great Pokemon and I love it a lot. Unfortunately, it has some issues that really keep it in check. Don't be afraid to try him, though!

Abilities:
    Swift Swim: Under "Rain" weather, Floatzel's Speed is doubled. This ability is not quite as useful now due to Drizzle's nerf (not that Swift Swim + Drizzle was legal in OU down last gen...), plus, as someone else pointed out, it makes you a target for Thunder because of its perfect accuracy in said weather. Still, it really ensures that Floatzel will move first almost all the time.

Water Veil: Floatzel cannot be affected by the "Burned" status condition. I'm a bit partial to this one, myself, just because it is not weather dependent. Still, it is also situational, but at least Floatzel won't have to worry about the Attack drop from Burn.

Sets:
    I'll start with something a little different.
    Why is that weasel carrying a baton?
    -Bulk Up/Agility
    -Waterfall
    -Substitute/Aqua Ring/Return
    -Baton Pass
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Water Veil/Swift Swim
    Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp. Attack)/Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
    EVs: 252 HP, 4 Sp. Defense, 252 Speed -or- 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Defense, 252 Speed

Let me first say that this set isn't likely to sweep on its own. I would love to see a variation that does, though (or make one myself, ha ha). But since Floatzel can use Baton Pass and is fast, it is likely to be able to get a boost or two before passing a boost to an ally. Bulk Up boost Attack and Defense, Agility boosts Speed. Waterfall is solid damage that gets same-type-attack-bonus (STAB) and has a nifty flinch chance that works well with Floatzel's high Speed. Substitute and Aqua Ring give a more defensive flavor to what Floatzel can give, and Baton Pass is obvious. Return is listed if you'd like Floatzel to be more of a sweeper after receiving several boosts instead of providing them for the team.

The item, ability, nature, and EVs are dependent on whether or not Floatzel is intended to support or sweep. Support Floatzel should run Leftovers for HP recovery, Water Veil to prevent wear down of Burn, a Jolly nature to ensure high speed, and the max HP and Speed to ensure Floatzel can pass on boosts. A sweeper should have the others listed to max out damage potential, and Return should definitely be run in such a case.

Weasel Beatdown
    -Waterfall/Aqua Tail
    -Ice Punch/Ice Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Aqua Jet/Rain Dance
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim/Water Veil
    Nature: Naughty (+Attack, -Sp. Defense)
    EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Sp. Attack

I'm also going to disclaim here that this set accounts for being in the rain, which is why no Speed EVs are run. Anyways, this set attempts to, with the proper support, break stuff up nice. Waterfall versus Aqua Tail comes down to reliability and a flinch chance versus more power and slightly less accuracy. Ice Punch is great, but if non Kalos-native Pokemon are banned, Ice Beam is your only choice. Focus Miss is great coverage and power when it hits. Aqua Jet is to prevent other priority users (minus the rare Extremespeed) from getting the jump on Floatzel. Rain Dance helps keep rain up if Floatzel doesn't need to have priority, but it has no bulk to stomach a hit, so Aqua Jet is generally preferred.

Like I said, the EVs are assuming you have rain support, since Floatzel has 532 Speed in the rain without any investment and is likely to move first. Outside of that, though, the EVs should be adjusted. The nature allows Floatzel to go mixed, and the Life Orb boosts Floatzel's power.

And just to appease me a bit...something less creative.
    A Weasel with a Headband
    -Waterfall/Aqua Tail
    -Return
    -Ice Punch/Ice Fang
    -Aqua Jet
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Swift Swim/Water Veil
    Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
    EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Defense, 252 Speed

This set just aims to sweep without setting up and then switch out as necessary. Waterfall and Aqua Tail are the STABs again, choosing between reliability and power. Return is great coverage, which Ice Punch (Ice Fang if Kalos-native are only allowed) provides more coverage. Aqua Jet turns Floatzel into a priority revenge killer.

The Adamant nature and EVs maximize Attack and Speed, and a Jolly nature can be used if you don't have rain support and really need to outspeed more things. Beware that Floatzel will not hit as hard, though.

Other Options:
    -Crunch provides coverage, but is generally not necessary.
    -Brick Break is a physical Fighting-type move, but its base power is low, thus making it rather unappealing.
    -Power-Up Punch (does damage and boosts the user's Attack by one stage) would be interesting on a set built around it, but I'm guessing that would be difficult to pull off.

Checks and Counters:
    If it hits before Floatzel (somehow...), Floatzel is likely to fall. If it can stomach a hit and hit hard back, Floatzel is likely to fall. Sadly, Floatzel's main issue is that is is so frail, a glass cannon as some have called it. Paralysis and Sticky Web really kill Floatzel, as it can no longer hit before being hit outside of Aqua Jet. For the Baton Pass and Choice Band sets, entry hazards damage Floatzel every time it switches in, which is what those sets do.

Overall, Floatzel is still a great Pokemon that I love. It can really be beneficial to a team, although it requires some support to keep it from turning into a frail, dead-weight Pokemon.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

Why use this thing over Kabutops? Kabutops is superior in every way possible. Sure you may argue "BUT IT HAS MIXED ATTACKING STATS" but kabutops hits so much harder they arent even relevant. Make this a joke POTW and make it a POTW for kabutops. It has no non-gimmick set that isnt outclassed by Kabutops.

Quote Originally Posted by PootisPancake View Post
    Why use this thing over Kabutops? Kabutops is superior in every way possible. Sure you may argue "BUT IT HAS MIXED ATTACKING STATS" but kabutops hits so much harder they arent even relevant. Make this a joke POTW and make it a POTW for kabutops. It has no non-gimmick set that isnt outclassed by Kabutops.
    Because Kabutops is RU and Floatzel is NU. It's just like was the case with Granbull last week; people need to remember that tiers exist, and in a tier where Kabutops can't be used, Floatzel has a chance to shine.

...Of course, I use the term "chance to shine" very loosely, given Floatzel still has a huge amount of competition as far as physical water types in NU. Barbarcle, Carracosta, and Huntail are all significantly more bulky, and have access to the amazing Shell Smash. Feraligatr has more bulk and access to Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and Basculin has access to Adaptability for a much stronger STAB. There's many more water types with more utility too, such as Seismitoad, Qwilfish, Lanturn, etc. There are many more that I didn't mention as well; NU is VERY saturated with water types (pun not intended), and many of them bring more to the table than Floatzel. While it may be the fastest water type in NU, it's also the frailest.

Floatzel's niche in NU is its speed, and access to Switcheroo can differentiate its Choice Sets from Basculin. However, its inability to take a hit leaves it as more of a niche Pokemon even in NU, as it is 2HKO'ed by pretty much everything in the tier.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by PootisPancake View Post
    THats not the spirt of things here

Anyway Floatzel
    Incredibly fast
    awesome attack
    I LOVE THIS THING
    although It won't take very many hits sadly.

Spezel
    Floatzel @ damp rock / Power herb
    Swift swim(if rain dance) / Water veil(If razor wind)

Rain dance / Razor wind
    Scald
    Ice beam
    Rain dance

I ran this thing specially a while ago just to trip people up. Usually I would try not to use this thing on a switch in. And most of the time Swift swim is a little redundant. So you can just use razor wind instead. But most of the time you shouldn't run this thing specially. It works until it gets hit by a super effective and/or STAB move.
    Last edited by Crash & Charm; 8th June 2014 at 11:25 PM.

For me, floatzel can be a pretty nifty baton passer this generation.

Floatzel @ Life Orb (Water veil)
    Jolly, 252Atk/252Speed/4Hp
    -Baton Pass
    -Agility/Substitute
    -Power-up Punch
    -Waterfall

With power up punch and agility, floatzel can act as a pseudo-ninjask passing both attack and speed boosts to a teammate. Substitute can also be passed, albeit with a base 85HP stat they'll be easily breakable. Waterfall offers a STAB option which can hit surprisingly hard at +1/+2.
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Because Kabutops is RU and Floatzel is NU. It's just like was the case with Granbull last week; people need to remember that tiers exist, and in a tier where Kabutops can't be used, Floatzel has a chance to shine.

...Of course, I use the term "chance to shine" very loosely, given Floatzel still has a huge amount of competition as far as physical water types in NU. Barbarcle, Carracosta, and Huntail are all significantly more bulky, and have access to the amazing Shell Smash. Feraligatr has more bulk and access to Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, and Basculin has access to Adaptability for a much stronger STAB. There's many more water types with more utility too, such as Seismitoad, Qwilfish, Lanturn, etc. There are many more that I didn't mention as well; NU is VERY saturated with water types (pun not intended), and many of them bring more to the table than Floatzel. While it may be the fastest water type in NU, it's also the frailest.

Floatzel's niche in NU is its speed, and access to Switcheroo can differentiate its Choice Sets from Basculin. However, its inability to take a hit leaves it as more of a niche Pokemon even in NU, as it is 2HKO'ed by pretty much everything in the tier.
    Sadly even in NU Floatzel is unimpressive. It is a decent Bulk Upper due to its immunity to burns and ability to quickly Baton Pass out of a counter. After a Bulk Up it's about as tanky as a Keldeo, which is pretty solid. It also gets switcheroo with passable attack, immunity to burns and good speed so it could run Choice Band.

Floatzel can even use its immunity to burn to utilize Flame Orb + Switcheroo to completely cripple a counter like Granbull or Avalugg.

It can also run a Swift Swim set but it isn't really anything special. So frail and it doesn't even hit very hard compared to other swift swimmers.
    Last edited by What does the Dephox say?; 9th June 2014 at 4:11 PM.

One thing I liked about Floatzel in BW NU was how fast it was. There were only four Pokemon that could outspeed it (Zebstrika, Electrode, Swellow, and Ninjask), and none of them were super common (none of them hit 5% usage in the later months of BW). It was a pretty cool sweeper and revenge killer since it could outspeed things like Tauros and Charizard and do solid damage overall with its decent mixed offensive stats. Even then, though, it was just decent. Mixed sets had a lot of competition from Samurott, who had more bulk and much better SpA. You also had to consider Simipour, who had significantly more SpA, a better special movepool, and a cool boosting move in Nasty Plot. Choice Band sets were cool because of Switcheroo, but even then they had solid competition from Basculin and its powerful Adaptability-boosted Waterfall and Aqua Jet. It's not that Floatzel was outclassed (base 115 Spe is awesome), but it didn't stand out enough to make you think, "I've gotta get me a Floatzel!" Bulk Up + Baton Pass + Taunt was a pretty cool set, though, and Floatzel was the only one that could pull it off.

Nowadays, I have to agree with BH that Floatzel is really blah. Besides the competition it had last generation, there are new offensive Water types that it has to compete with now. Feraligatr might not have the same mixed offenses that Floatzel does, but it does have far more bulk and a great pair of boosting moves in Swords Dance and Dragon Dance. It also gets scary amounts of power when Torrent activates. Barbaracle completely dominates Floatzel in both power and speed after a Shell Smash. There's also Omastar, who is also very powerful after a Shell Smash and can outspeed pretty much the entire unboosted metagame at +2 even with a Modest nature (although you do need Timid to beat Accelgor). I suppose offensive Floatzel is still usable since base 115 Spe is base 115 Spe, but there's just so much competition from other offensive Water types that its speed is the only thing really setting it apart.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 9th June 2014 at 7:51 PM.

Priority Seating
    Ability: Water Veil / Swift Swim
    Item: Choice Band / Life Orb
    Aqua Jet
    Power-Up Punch / Ice Fang / Brick Break
    Waterfall
    Crunch / Ice Fang / Brick Break
    Nature: Adamant / Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Overview: Standard attacking EVs...Um...Adamant is the norm for priority users, but you can do Jolly for the other 3 moves. Um..I suggest Adamant if you do Choice Band. Standard Choice/Life Orb stuff.... Power-Up Punch because Floatzel can't learn Swords Dance. Waterfall and Crunch for strong coverage. You can do Ice Fang or Brick Break...or even Dig I guess for Choice instead of P-Up Punch. If you want those coverage, then I guess you can try it instead of Crunch, but you'll probably want to do a P-Up Punch first...as they can be weak. The ability won't help you much, either way.

Weight-Lifter
    Item: Life Orb / Leftovers / Assault Vest
    Bulk Up
    Waterfall
    Baton Pass
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Overview: This is a Bulk Up set...and baton passing is a cool bonus. Um...same strong moves. Again, beware of the weak Ice Fang and Brick Break. Life Orb is if you want this to be a defensive sweeper. Leftovers if you want a slightly better wall. Assault Vest helps with the specially defensive side after raising defense. Jolly can help with the baton passing, but that is like a last resort.

Let's Run a Marathon!
    Item: Leftovers / Assault Vest / Focus Sash
    Baton Pass
    Bulk Up / Power-Up Punch
    Agility / Substitute / Taunt / Waterfall
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Overview: Let's Pass the Baton with each other!! The Leftovers can help with substitute, but the assault vest can help with the defenses, especially if you have Bulk Up. Focus Sash is always useful for these things. Power-Up Punch can be used if you want damage. You may want to put 252 Atk or....4 Atk or whatever. Bulk Up raises your defense though....Taunt is to keep you from like... stopping cold. Agility for speed. Substitute for a better switch in. Waterfall is from being taunt bait.
    Superelectivire for the win!
    Favorite PKMN - Electivire
    Best Battler - Cloyster
    Have a couple shinies possibly for trade: Charizard, Azumarill.
    5 IV, EV trained, Impish Nature, Hidden Ability, Pokerus, Earthquake, Toxic, Protect, U-turn, Gligar
    -HP/Atk/Def/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Mega Launcher, Sassy Nature, Clawitzer
    -HP/Def/Sp.Atk/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Mega Launcher, Modest Nature, Clauncher
    -HP/Def/Sp.Atk/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Bashful Nature, Hidden Ability, Shroomish
    -HP/Atk/Def/SDef/Spd
    Trading 4 IV, Timid Nature, Own Tempo, Smeargle
    -HP/Def/SDef/Spd
    5 IV, Adamant, Honedge
    -Offering many different 5 IV Honedges
    Trading 3-4 IVs of various Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by superelectivire View Post
    Priority Seating
    Item: Choice Band / Life Orb
    Aqua Jet
    Power-Up Punch / Ice Fang / Brick Break
    Waterfall
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Overview: Standard attacking EVs...Um...Adamant is the norm for priority users, but you can do Jolly for the other 3 moves. Um..I suggest Adamant if you do Choice Band. Standard Choice/Life Orb stuff.... Power-Up Punch because Floatzel can't learn Swords Dance. Waterfall and Crunch for strong coverage. You can do Ice Fang or Brick Break...or even Dig I guess for Choice instead of P-Up Punch. If you want those coverage, then I guess you can try it instead of Crunch, but you'll probably want to do a P-Up Punch first...as they can be weak. The ability won't help you much, either way.

Weight-Lifter
    Item: Life Orb / Leftovers / Assault Vest
    Bulk Up
    Waterfall
    Baton Pass
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Overview: This is a Bulk Up set...and baton passing is a cool bonus. Um...same strong moves. Again, beware of the weak Ice Fang and Brick Break. Life Orb is if you want this to be a defensive sweeper. Leftovers if you want a slightly better wall. Assault Vest helps with the specially defensive side after raising defense. Jolly can help with the baton passing, but that is like a last resort.

Let's Run a Marathon!
    Item: Leftovers / Assault Vest / Focus Sash
    Baton Pass
    Bulk Up / Power-Up Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Overview: Let's Pass the Baton with each other!! The Leftovers can help with substitute, but the assault vest can help with the defenses, especially if you have Bulk Up. Focus Sash is always useful for these things. Power-Up Punch can be used if you want damage. You may want to put 252 Atk or....4 Atk or whatever. Bulk Up raises your defense though....Taunt is to keep you from like... stopping cold. Agility for speed. Substitute for a better switch in. Waterfall is from being taunt bait.
    Yeah, assault vest on any of those sets is a horrible idea as floatzel has two easily exploitable weaknesses (grass and electric), roughly the same defensive presence as liepard, and won't be able to use status moves thanks to the item.
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.