Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #034

Quote Originally Posted by Ironthunder1604 View Post
    One tried setting up on my Clefable. Mistake. Fire punch ended it in one hit while it SDed.
    Clefable Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 70-84 (25.8 - 30.9%)

What.

Although, Smack Down actually hurts more, due to it removing the Flying type, and therefore the STAB on most of its decent moves.
    I'm almost certain that's not how Smack Down works. It doesn't remove flying typing, it just removes any immunity to ground type attacks.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

I've seen Mega Pinsir in action, it rarely gets your mentioned sweeps. Either it gets oneshotted, or it gets torn apart during the setup. Both when I use it, and when I fight it. Simple. Also, the number of quick attack spamming Mega Pinsirs... It's predictable.
    Those people are using it wrong. Honestly, as soon as Pinsir gets a Swords Dance, it's pretty much gg. Unless a physical wall is present. One of the things that people don't have in mind is that Pinsir has 5 teammates. Seriously. If people started using teammates wisely (ie wallbreakers, spinners, clerics) Pinsir will sweep. Yes, Pinsir performs well on its own, but having synergy in your team involving Pinsir will allow it to wreak havoc. It's not just, "send it in, megaevolve, swords dance, sweep". It's much more complicated.

Also, mega-evolving Pinsir first turn is a big no no most of the time.

Credit: Skarm (Resurgence Userbar) & Astral Shadow (TL Userbar and these)

Much of what I wanted to say has already been said, so I'm throwing this out there:

Feint is good on M-Pinsir
    Fury Attack makes for good wallbreaking
    Quick attack is pointless when you have Feint
    If flail gets stab bonuses (I don't think it does), then your opponent isn't surviving that.
    Meet Tropius, the once good Grass type nerfed in X & Y

Quote Originally Posted by sonnytapman View Post
    Feint is good on M-Pinsir
    It's decent. Unless the opponent is Talonflame, Dragonite, or something using Protect, Quick Attack accomplishes the same end result but with more power.

Fury Attack makes for good wallbreaking
    Not really, no. Fury Attack is outdamaged by Return even at max power. I think you mean Fury Attack would be useful for breaking substitutes/sturdy/focus sash, but the low damage and unreliability makes it gimmicky.

Quick attack is pointless when you have Feint
    Quick Attack has more power, and the only time Feint's better priority is significant is vs. Talonflame, maybe Thundurus (although using Feint on Thundurus is pointless), Dragonite's Extreme Speed, and something using Protect. Every other noteworthy priority user tends to be slower than Mega Pinsir. Protect isn't common enough in singles to warrant feint, and Talonflame will still give Mega Pinsir problems. Feint can be an option but it's not outright better than Quick Attack.

If flail gets stab bonuses (I don't think it does), then your opponent isn't surviving that.
    You need less than 10% HP for Flail to outdamage Return. More often than not, Return is better than it.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Does Feint work against King's Shield?

Quote Originally Posted by xDIRCIOx View Post
    Does Feint work against King's Shield?
    I think so, but it's not like a 39 BP Flying move is going to do anything against a 60/150 Steel type. Fein'ts main use is outspeeding Talonflame's Brave Bird and other fast priority; the breaking through Protect is a minor point in Singles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    I think so, but it's not like a 39 BP Flying move is going to do anything against a 60/150 Steel type. Fein'ts main use is outspeeding Talonflame's Brave Bird and other fast priority; the breaking through Protect is a minor point in Singles.
    I kno know, just worth mentioning it ignores the King's Shield drop

To be honest, I'd still rather just spam Earthquake against Aegislash rather than try to hit it with Feint as it uses King's Shield. Worst case scenario, you just don't do any damage for a turn, and at least you don't run the risk of mispredicting the King's Shield and giving your opponent a free turn to slam you with Shadow Ball or something as you hit them for pitiful damage.

Pinsir is just about the purest form of a Generation I pokemon you could ever come across. In it's normal form it's a very strong pure bug type with an awesome albeit sort of predictable move-pool (Earthquake, Stone Edge, Sword Dance and X-Scissor) with nasty attack power and decent speed to back it. Unfortunately for me looking at it's Mega Form actually for me at least makes it harder to use because there are so many better options out there with much much stronger and wider movepools but it has an amazing attack stat which no-one's walking away from without a scratch but it's speed is sort of on the borderline of viable and not viable.

It's 4 abilities though are all pretty awesome starting with Hyper Cutter which prevents intimidate users which wouldn't be a problem except most of them like Salamance, Gyarados and Arcanine all have a type advantage over it.

Mold Breaker is probably going to be the preferred choice as it makes most of the Pokemon resistant to Pinsir's attacks and effects (especially levitate users) vulnerable to what is a very powerful movepool.

Moxie for me seems to be a choice of either that or sword dance if your going for a sweeper strategy though personally I'd pick this because I would want to hit hard without leaving Pinsir around for an attack it likely won't survive.

Aerialate for me is a weird one as I've not actually seen it in action but it just seems like a wasted ability on Pinsir who's typing seems to match it but movepool doesn't.

I'd pick the normal over the mega 9/10 times when using Pinsir.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_legend View Post
    Aerialate for me is a weird one as I've not actually seen it in action but it just seems like a wasted ability on Pinsir who's typing seems to match it but movepool doesn't.

I'd pick the normal over the mega 9/10 times when using Pinsir.
    ...Uh...

Mega Pinsir is one of the better Mega Evoluions out there, and the only reason Pinsir is even remotely viable in OU right now is because of its Mega Evolution. If you're using it in OU and you're not using its Mega Evolution, you're wasting a team slot. It's as simple as that. Aerilate is a huge reason for Mega Pinsir's success, since it turns normal type moves, which it has a lot of (Return and Quick Attack being the most noteworthy), into high-powered STAB moves. Return becomes a base 132 power move with perfect accuracy and no downsides. Quick Attack turns into a base 52 power priority move, just a little shy of Scizor's Bullet Punch. In addition to higher attack, Mega Pinsir gets added bulk, and a much better speed tier which lets it outspeed the myriad of base 100's in the tier.

If you're picking the normal form over the Mega Evolution, you're probably better off using another Pokemon altogether.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Yeah, regular Pinsir is horrible, lol. Even if you did wanted to use it for whatever reason, literally the only thing it can do that Heracross can't is use Stealth Rock. Any offensive sets you might want to try are far outclassed by Heracross with its stronger Bug STAB, secondary Fighting STAB, better typing both offensively and defensively, lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, and more rounded bulk (and regular Heracross isn't even that good outside of UU). Like KillerDraco said, Mega Pinsir is literally the only reason anyone gives Pinsir a serious thought these days. I don't understand how you can call regular Pinsir's base 85 Spe "decent" and then say that Mega Pinsir's base 105 Spe is borderline unviable when it's actually quite good. You outrun the vast majority of the unboosted metagame, including top threats like Garchomp and the Mega Charizards. Even if the opponent is faster, +2 Quick Attack is enough to OHKO many faster Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Keldeo, Greninja, and Gengar, and even some such as Terrakion can be KOed after some prior damage. Mega Pinsir is one of the most dangerous sweepers outside of Ubers. Regular Pinsir is garbage. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Yeah, regular Pinsir is horrible, lol. Even if you did wanted to use it for whatever reason, literally the only thing it can do that Heracross can't is use Stealth Rock. Any offensive sets you might want to try are far outclassed by Heracross with its stronger Bug STAB, secondary Fighting STAB, better typing both offensively and defensively, lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, and more rounded bulk (and regular Heracross isn't even that good outside of UU). Like KillerDraco said, Mega Pinsir is literally the only reason anyone gives Pinsir a serious thought these days. I don't understand how you can call regular Pinsir's base 85 Spe "decent" and then say that Mega Pinsir's base 105 Spe is borderline unviable when it's actually quite good. You outrun the vast majority of the unboosted metagame, including top threats like Garchomp and the Mega Charizards. Even if the opponent is faster, +2 Quick Attack is enough to OHKO many faster Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Keldeo, Greninja, and Gengar, and even some such as Terrakion can be KOed after some prior damage. Mega Pinsir is one of the most dangerous sweepers outside of Ubers. Regular Pinsir is garbage. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's true.
    Quick Attack is +1
    Feint is +2
    Just saying

I was talking about the +2 Atk boost after Swords Dance, not Quick Attack's priority, which is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Okay, sorry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123