Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #034

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shiftry View Post
    Its late and I'm sleepy but I'd just like to post my two cents here:

Mega Pinsir is off the top if my head the only viable user of the Move Feint. That's right, that really low base powered +2 priority move that can hit through protect attacks.

and the reason why? Because of Aerilate and STAB actually makes it decently powered and also because priority is everything this generation. And nothing is more satisfying that breaking through an opponent's protect or outspeeding their priority with your even high priority attack. Unless someone can bring up some calc's that quick attack nets certain key KOs, Feint should always be considered and slashed with quick attack in the set list.
    That's a good point there, and could actually make Mega Pinsir somewhat viable in Doubles as it allows the next pokemon to wreck them through Protect. Plus, outspeeds Talonflame, guaranteed.

ooo I love Pinsir, he is one of my favorite gen 1 Pokes
    Here's what I was thinking

Other Options

Feint Attack: Pretty much Pinsir's only way to deal with Ghost types, especially Aegislash who resists Pinsir's Bug type attacks and Mega Pinsir's Flying type attacks
    Feint: Though unconventional, Feint is a surprising choice over Quick Attack, it is less powerful but after Mega Evolving, it will receive STAB and it makes opponents who use Protect and Detect quiver in fear
    Giga Impact: also an odd choice but let's face it, Mega Pinsir is kinda frail, one Stone Edge and it's out BUT, as a final last effort, a STAB Aerilate base 150 Giga Impact from a Pinsir with a possible Moxie boost will be a strong farewell present
    Return: Similar to Giga Impact but less risky and less powerful, but after a Sword's Dance, it can do some serious damage
    3DS Friend code
    1246 8777 2044

Feraligator is comin for you

Self appointed CEO of MDK Power Pokémon Inc.

Black FC: 3783 0862 9940

By the way I really like seeing your creativity, if you let me see your unique and creative PR video I will give you a Nice! and a random O-power

So no one thinks Pinsir is viable without its Mega Evolution?

Pinsir @ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Adamant or Jolly
    Max HP & Attack/Max Attack and Speed
    Ability: They're all pretty darn good, I'll get to it.
    -Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor
    -Close Combat/Earthquake
    -Quick Attack

This set is pretty standard, Boosting move, STAB, coverage, priority, Pinsir has the moveset but lacks the speed.

Abilities: Hyper Cutter: Prevents Intimidate, Memento, etc. from ruining your sweep.

Mold Breaker: Do you really hate Rotom that much?

Moxie: The best in my opinion, becomes scary as Pinsir gets more and more attack boosts.

Or:

Pinsir @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant or Jolly
    Max Attack and Speed
    Moxie
    -X-Scissor
    -Earthquake
    -Close Combat
    Stone Edge/Quick Attack

Beat up a weaker target and start sweeping, great for late game.

Alright, time to release the MEGASUS!

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
    Jolly
    Max Speed and Attack
    Any ability is fine*
    -Swords Dance
    -Return/Facade/Thrash
    -Earthquake/Close Combat/Storm Throw
    -ExtremeSpeed Quick Attack

This thing is crazy. It's awesomeness makes up for its typing. Hey, so you're weak to Rock, lemme give you another type thats weak to rock. Hey, so you resist ground and fighting? Lemme give you a type thats immune and resistant to ground and fighting respectively. So you're weak to fire? Lemme give you a type thats weak to more elements. What was gamefreak thinking? Anyways, Swords Dance boosts attack, Bulk Up isn't there because you lack recovery and become unable to abuse the defense, especially when you start at 85 speed. Return is popular, Facade allows you to set up on Sableye and destroy things. Thrash because some people are crazy. Close Combat is for Rocks and Steels, Storm Throw for Baton Pass teams. You're a noob for using Earthquake. Quick Attack is there because yes. There's no reason to not use it.

Other options include Frustration for Imposter Ditto, moves like Superpower or Brick Break, stuff like rock slide, Feint because it gets more priority, and that's pretty much it.
    (brb breeding a pinsir w feint)

*any ability is fine. Hyper Cutter stops intimidate, and can be used to play mind games by switching into a Pokemon with 1 hp. Send in Pinsir and use Swords Dance on the switch.

Mold Breaker because Rotom. And Rotom Wash. And Rotom Heat. And sure, Rotom Frost.

Moxie is a one time ability, but can help start sweeps really good.
    Last edited by xDIRCIOx; 16th June 2014 at 10:48 AM.

Credit: Skarm (Resurgence Userbar) & Astral Shadow (TL Userbar and these)

^yeah, regular Pinsir is pretty bad. You can't use it in lower tiers because its mega evolution puts it in OU, where its relatively low stats and poor defensive typing make it easy prey for most Pokemon in the tier.

I run this set personally and it has worked so far

Watch me beetle your behind

Moveset:
    Swords Dance/Bulk Up
    Double-Edge/Return
    Close Combat/Brick Break
    Quick Attack / Earthquake / Stone Edge/X-Scissor
    Ability: Moxie
    Item: Pinsirite
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    3DS Friend code
    1246 8777 2044

Feraligator is comin for you

Self appointed CEO of MDK Power Pokémon Inc.

Black FC: 3783 0862 9940

By the way I really like seeing your creativity, if you let me see your unique and creative PR video I will give you a Nice! and a random O-power

Quote Originally Posted by MarcDKramer View Post
    Giga Impact: also an odd choice but let's face it, Mega Pinsir is kinda frail, one Stone Edge and it's out BUT, as a final last effort, a STAB Aerilate base 150 Giga Impact from a Pinsir with a possible Moxie boost will be a strong farewell present
    NO. Giga Impact may be a near guaranteed KO affair, it is too risky. Less than perfect accuracy, and if you connect, you give your opponent a free turn to set up regardless of whether you KO'd your target. Secondly, 2 uses of Aerialate Return will always outdamage 1 Aerialate Giga Impact in the same amount of time. Thirdly, you cannot get a moxie boost off of an Aerialate Giga Impact. I get you are saying to use Giga Impact akin to Explosion, but a Mega slot is far too valuable to utilize to boom. In 19/20 cases it is better to switch than to Giga Impact.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post

I would point out that Mega Pinsir is still pretty useless against Skarmory, even with Close Combat.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 86-102 (25.7 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
    +2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 171-202 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Meanwhile, the defense drop from Close Combat turns this...

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 186-218 (68.6 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

...into this:

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 276-326 (101.8 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You're better off not trying to take on Skarmory with Mega Pinsir. Skarmory is a reliable counter against Mega Pinsir, so it really doesn't have any potential to end well. Plus, Aegislash has pretty consistently been sitting at the number 1 usage slot in the ladder; being able to deal with it, which Mega Pinsir can actually potentially beat, is more significant than any attempt to beat Skarmory that more often than not won't end well.

That's true, Pinsir can't deal with Skarmory. But Close Combat gives you at least a little chance to fight back if you absolutely need to. If you have, let's say, X-Scissor, you're completly helpless. While Pinsir will never be capable of taking a Skarmory on its own, at least you can deal with a Skarmory with 20% HP on the switch in. But I don't think I have to say that Close Combat is not there only to have a little hope against Skarmory, but is a great move overall. Anyway, thanks for posting the calcs there.

For counters, I'm pretty sure air balloon aegislash deserves special mention as it is immune to earthquake/CC, takes little damage from x-scissor and aerialate return, and can either lower its attack with king's shield or tear it to shreds with shadow ball.
    ~Currently own all gen 6 games (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen UU record: 55W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, non-OU tier supporter, speed-breeder, and steam enthusiast.
        Spoiler:- Current Gen 6 shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    For counters, I'm pretty sure air balloon aegislash deserves special mention as it is immune to earthquake/CC, takes little damage from x-scissor and aerialate return, and can either lower its attack with king's shield or tear it to shreds with shadow ball.
    Or Pinsir can actually set up all over it, predicting the King's Shield, and do considerable damage with Return. I once OHKO'd a Aegislash with Return. You should also consider another Pokemon to deal with Skarmory. Close Combat is good, it allows you to get a Moxie boost on Tyranitar.

Quote Originally Posted by xDIRCIOx View Post
    Or Pinsir can actually set up all over it, predicting the King's Shield, and do considerable damage with Return. I once OHKO'd a Aegislash with Return.
    You need to be at +4 to 1HKO Shield Form Aegislash with Return if it has minimum HP EVs. If it has 252 HP EVs, you have to be at +6 to 1HKO it. Or if you mean Blade Form, nobody really cares since it dies to a gentle breeze.

+4 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 260-306 (99.6 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+4 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 260-306 (80.2 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Though it's moot point, since Aegislash, even with an Air Balloon, is an unreliable check, and definitely not a counter. If it switches into Return, Quick Attack, or X-Scissor, the Balloon pops, leaving it open to Earthquakes. Not only that, but Shadow Ball needs Stealth Rock to be able to 1HKO, and the combination of Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak is not enough to 1HKO without prior damage, so it's a risky check as well.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    You need to be at +4 to 1HKO Shield Form Aegislash with Return if it has minimum HP EVs. If it has 252 HP EVs, you have to be at +6 to 1HKO it. Or if you mean Blade Form, nobody really cares since it dies to a gentle breeze.

+4 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 260-306 (99.6 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+4 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 260-306 (80.2 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Though it's moot point, since Aegislash, even with an Air Balloon, is an unreliable check, and definitely not a counter. If it switches into Return, Quick Attack, or X-Scissor, the Balloon pops, leaving it open to Earthquakes. Not only that, but Shadow Ball needs Stealth Rock to be able to 1HKO, and the combination of Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak is not enough to 1HKO without prior damage, so it's a risky check as well.
    That must've been the case, then, I'm not sure it was a +4 or +6, but basically, being one of the most overused Pokemon, you can easily predict those King's Shields and set up a sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidaken View Post
    Why the published POTWs don't post the base stats of the Pokémon I'll never understand. Maybe this can be a first?
    I actually like that idea. Good plan!

Well, the main picture of the Pokemon at the top of the page links to its Pokedex page, which lists everything from base stats to movepool. It'd be a little more convenient to add them to the actual article, but you're always a single click away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Well, the main picture of the Pokemon at the top of the page links to its Pokedex page, which lists everything from base stats to movepool. It'd be a little more convenient to add them to the actual article, but you're always a single click away anyway.
    I've been writing the POTW on and off for about two years now and I never knew that.

Sky-High Stag Beetle
    Pinsir@Pinsirite
    Jolly nature
    Hyper Cutter/Mold Breaker/Moxie
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Thrash
    ~Quick Attack
    ~Earthquake
    ~Swords Dance

The only Pinsir set you will ever need. Mega Pinsir outclasses its non-Mega-Evolved counterpart by a long shot! Thrash is, well... you know how hard STAB Outrage hits coming from a strong Dragon-type? Well, like that, only stronger (234 base power, factoring in Aerilate and STAB), and nothing's immune to it. Which, might I add, is coming off of base 155 Attack. Yeah. Quick Attack is pretty strong STAB, Earthquake is for coverage, and Swords Dance is for additional boosting if you can find an opening.

Item should be pretty damn obvious. Ability is kinda irrelevant since you want to Mega Evolve ASAP.

Other options:
    *X-Scissor works with Pinsir's other STAB, if you can find the space for it. Which you probably can't, tbh.
    *A Choice Scarf set to take advantage of Mold Breaker or Moxie could work, but Mega Pinsir is just better.

Abilities:
    *Hyper Cutter: Pinsir's Attack can't be lowered. Does not block self-inflicted Attack drops. I suppose it could be useful to stop Intimidate before Mega Evolving.
    *Mold Breaker: Pinsir's attacks aren't hindered or blocked by an opponent's Ability. This means Earthquake isn't blocked by Levitate, Shell Armor doesn't prevent critical hits, Fur Coat doesn't reduce physical damage, and so forth. A useful Ability overall, but Pinsir rarely stays Mega Evolved long enough to take advantage of it.
    *Moxie: Pinsir's Hidden Ability. When Pinsir knocks out another Pokémon, its Attack stat goes up. This one could see some use if you send Pinsir out against something with a sliver of health left and you opt for Quick Attack before Mega Evolving.
    *Aerilate: Mega Pinsir's Ability. Mega Pinsir's Normal moves become Flying moves and gain a 30% boost, as well as gain STAB from Mega Pinsir's Flying type. I don't think I need to say just how extremely useful this is.

Partners:
    The beauty of Mega Pinsir is that it doesn't actually need the right teammates- you bring it in, you Mega Evolve, MAYBE set up a Swords Dance if you can, there's not much the opponent can do to it. That said, a means of dealing with Stealth Rock could go a long way, just in case you gotta switch out. And if overkill is your game, you can also pass a few Speed Boosts and a Swords Dance to it from Scolipede or Ninjask.

Counters:
    Aerodactyl is kind of a big one, Mega or otherwise. Resists Aerilate'd moves, immune to Earthquake, gets STAB on Rock moves... In theory, Archeops would work, too, except its poor defenses and Defeatist are points against it. Still, even with Defeatist, I can't see Mega Pinsir holding up that well against its Stone Edge...

Opinion:
    A really cool Pokémon, Mega or otherwise. Always preferred it over Heracross, myself.

Prediction for next week:
    Cryogonal.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by What does the Dephox say? View Post
    I've been writing the POTW on and off for about two years now and I never knew that.
    Wait, so YOU'RE the one who didn't mention that Infiltrator Topsy-Turvy on Malamar could DESTROY Baton Pass teams? Lol

Also, don't mention Feint next Sunday, let's keep it a secret...

Quote Originally Posted by xDIRCIOx View Post
    Wait, so YOU'RE the one who didn't mention that Infiltrator Topsy-Turvy on Malamar could DESTROY Baton Pass teams? Lol
    Well yeah because that set is terrible. I would use Mightyena long before I used Infiltrator Topsy-Turvy Malamar.

Also, don't mention Feint next Sunday, let's keep it a secret...
    Literally the only thing it would hit is Talonflame, and it needs Stealth Rocks and a Swords Dance to actually take it out. Unless you're talking about Doubles / Triples. Regardless I'm not writing it this week. That's up to Jesusfreak. Up to him if he wants to put it in.

Lol, allright!

Moxie Mightyena for Ubers?

Okay, so I'm kind of at a loss for set names. Anyone else have some good ideas for puns, references, stuff like that?

Also yeah, I'm putting Feint in, but probably just Other Options since it's only really useful for beating Talonflame's Brave Bird and Dragonite's Extremespeed.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 19th June 2014 at 6:18 PM.

I nicknamed my Pinsir "Megasus" because of this song:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BfBmUEJuccA
    (get lyrics lol)

RELEASE THE MEGASUS!

I don't think Mega Pinsir's that viable. 4x weak to SR hurts it massively, especially as it's so widespread these days... Plus, it isn't massively quick iirc, so it's often outsped. Plus, the guy's hard countered by an old trick of Stone Edge or Rock Slide. Although, Smack Down actually hurts more, due to it removing the Flying type, and therefore the STAB on most of its decent moves.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironthunder1604 View Post
    I don't think Mega Pinsir's that viable. 4x weak to SR hurts it massively, especially as it's so widespread these days... Plus, it isn't massively quick iirc, so it's often outsped. Plus, the guy's hard countered by an old trick of Stone Edge or Rock Slide. Although, Smack Down actually hurts more, due to it removing the Flying type, and therefore the STAB on most of its decent moves.
    Have you ever used it before? Mega Pinsir is one of the most dangerous offensive Pokemon in OU, lol. Stealth Rock weakness isn't that much of a problem when you really only need to come in once or twice before you're ready to sweep most of the time, and it's not that hard to remove Stealth Rock for those couple of switch-ins. Excadrill is a fantastic spinner as it is, and there are quite a few viable Defoggers you can use to ensure that Stealth Rock is off the field. Chances are that you'll be able to fit at least one of those onto your team. It's also not that slow. Base 105 Spe beats the vast majority of the unboosted metagame, and Quick Attack handles a lot of faster Pokemon. Stone Edge and other Rock moves don't "hard counter" Mega Pinsir because moves can't switch in and take hits, lol. It's a lot harder to actually hit Mega Pinsir with something like Stone Edge because it's so unbelievably powerful after a Swords Dance boost that you'll probably die to a +2 Return or Earthquake before you get the chance. Even if you're faster, Quick Attack still does a lot to pretty much any offensive Pokemon that doesn't resist it, so there's a good chance that it'll sweep right past your revenge killer late-game if it has been weakened a little.

I've seen Mega Pinsir in action, it rarely gets your mentioned sweeps. Either it gets oneshotted, or it gets torn apart during the setup. Both when I use it, and when I fight it. Simple. Also, the number of quick attack spamming Mega Pinsirs... It's predictable.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

I've seen Mega Pinsir in action, it rarely gets your mentioned sweeps. Either it gets oneshotted, or it gets torn apart during the setup. Both when I use it, and when I fight it. Simple. Also, the number of quick attack spamming Mega Pinsirs... It's predictable.
    Predictablity isn't always bad, especially in the case of such a powerful Pokemon as Mega Pinsir. Most offensive teams crumble to Mega Pinsir when Thundurus or Talonflame goes down, and stall teams are pretty much wrecked.

Mega Pinsir's best brought in on something that it forces out (which tbh is about half the metagame) because pretty much nothing can switch into a Return or Earthquake from it. Once the opposing team's one, maybe two reliable Mega Pinsir counters are crippled, Pinsir pretty much rampages through the opponent's team.

Mega Pinsir is fairly dependent on team matchup, I will concede that, but once you can bring it in safely it's a menace that should not be underestimated.

If it gets torn apart during setup then it means the player tried bringing it in on something it can't set up against, which is their fault and not Pinsir's. And again, it's easy to sit here and talk about it getting "oneshotted," but it's a lot harder in practice when it outruns and KOs most of the metagame at +2 and smashes so many faster things with Quick Attack so that you never get a chance to attack in the first place. I honestly don't know how you've rarely ever seen this thing sweep. I've have swept with it and been swept by it plenty of times, and I'm not even that active anymore. Also, who cares if Quick Attack is predictable? If the only faster Pokemon you have left at the end of the game are Gengar and Keldeo and the rest are KOed by a +2 Return or Earthquake (not really that hard to do), no amount of "prediction" is going to save you from a Pinsir sweep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast