Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Ashes Rise

Default From Ashes Rise

“Timeo ego honorare diligant nomen mors”

“I love the name of honor more than I fear death” –Julius Caesar

It’s been five years. It’s been five years since civilization, life as we knew it, came to an abrupt end. The artifacts just appeared one day. It was in early fall, the chill just beginning to seep into the air. It was then that freak electrical storms raged all across the globe. There was no rain and hardly any thunder, just lightning strike after lightning strike. The storm changed everything. Planes and other aircraft can no longer fly in the upper air, still charged with electricity even years after the fact. The Internet has gone down as well, for reasons no one is able to figure out. Televisions and radios can still broadcast, and phone calls still connect, though with a lot of static and interference, but the Internet is gone, seemingly for good. The server banks all over the world have gone inert, the age of instant global communication all but ended in a flash of light. But that was not even the most bizarre occurrence. In the aftermath of the storm, strange objects appeared to certain people.

There was no rhyme or reason to who got them. It appeared to be a completely random selection, though plenty of people tried to ascribe some higher purpose to it. Some thought it meant they were destined to be kings and conquerors, others saw it as a test of their resolve. Still more thought it a way to change the world for the better. Some people thought God had sent these artifacts down. Others thought it was aliens, or time travelers. Ultimately, who did it is irrelevant. What matters is what happened. You see, to those who were granted them, these strange artifacts granted great power. Once more and more people began to “come out” with their powers, the existing world governments fought hard to stop them and exterminate them. Some of the bearers relented, submitted themselves to government control or execution. Plenty of others hid, while more fought back.

Governments fell. What use were bullets against people who could level cities in a matter of hours, or hurl tanks with their bare hands? All across the world, leaders died and the power structures so long held up collapsed. In the wake of this, warlords and would-be kings staked out their claims and built up their armies. There have been fights, of course. There have been floods, famines, earthquakes and fires. Those who aren’t bearers have died by the millions. In just five years, the world population has dropped from just over seven billion to just below three billion. Warlords gathered up guns, artillery, bombs, anything a militia could use to rise up and challenge their new gods on earth. They repurposed some, keeping it under close guard. Most of it was destroyed. Guns become largely obsolete when a king can call down a deluge of flame to smite his foes.

Large swathes of land are empty and vacant now, those who once lived there driven away by starvation, plague or disaster. People have tried to pick up the pieces as best they could, and in some kingdoms even begun to prosper. Things are different now, but at least after five years this new way is becoming the norm. It’s a new world. It’s time to make something out of it. The continent once known as North America has devolved into many tiny nation-states and kingdoms, all ruled over by a powerful bearer. Whether they style themselves as kings, queens, warlords or sages, the fact remains that in this new world, the right of rule rests solely in those with power. Border skirmishes have been common these past few years, but as alliances and rivalries solidify, the threat of an all-out war looms.
    So, five years later, this is where we stand…

RPG Details:

You will take on the role of a bearer, someone who holds an artifact of incredible power. What power you hold is largely up to you, though I as the GM will hold final arbitration over said powers, in the interest of keeping any players from becoming too overpowered. These powers can be anything from elemental manipulation, augmented strength or other physical attribute, illusionary powers, etc. However, keep in mind that each artifact grants only one power (with possible minor secondary powers to facilitate use, see an example in Cole’s powers below), and a person can only hold one artifact. What this means is, even if you kill or incapacitate another bearer and take their artifact, it’s just an inert object.

The artifacts must all be some form of implement, tool or accessory that humanity would have had in the Iron Age. Sorry folks, but no steam powered devices, electronic things or even flintlock pistols. You’ve got a lot of leeway here regardless, so I don’t see this being an issue.

Basically, you can take on the role of being a bearer however you want. Become a warlord if you so choose, or be a wandering soldier of fortune. Perhaps you serve a king as their general or advisor, or you are living out your days in a farming hamlet, helping civilians eke out a life in this new, hostile world. The choice is yours. But remember, if you want to be a warlord, you’ll need the power to back up that position. Likewise, if you want to be a wanderer, remember that the world is a dangerous place now, and you’ll need the power to protect yourself.

You can start anywhere you so choose, provided it is somewhere in continental North America. There are artifact users all over the world, but we’re just going to focus on North America for now. You can come from other places, but at the start of the RPG you must be on the continent.

Eventually this RPG will have PvP elements, however that will not come into play for at least a little while, and I’m still trying to figure out the best way to handle it. I’m thinking dice rolls or an RNG along with health status markers (healthy, slightly injured, injured, critically injured, etc.) to ensure objectivity, though I am open to other suggestions.

Approved/Pending Players:
    (No limit to spaces currently)
    -Firebrand: Lexa and Cole Kendrick (Kingdom of Oberon), the Arbiter
    -Schade: Alec Schade (Wanderer)
    -GingerDixie: Nukka Fowler (Kingdom of Nunavut)
    -King Infernape: Kitt (Kingdom of Geordia)
    -Crash&Charm: Crash and Charm Lightning-Foot (Wanderer)
    -cmats4020 (Reserve)
    -RealMrGame10: Allison Oswald (Rosethron Empire)
    -Creepychu: Heather Reid (MRPA), Charles Ashton (Mojave Commonwealth)
    -

(You can play up to two characters if you so choose)

Name:
    Age and Gender:
    Faction: (Which warlord, kingdom, nation, etc. you serve, lead or belong to. Feel free to choose one of the established ones or come up with your own. If you're a wanderer or unemployed soldier of fortune, say so here) EDIT: At the moment I'm not accepting any more wanderer sign ups, at least until we get a few more players in warlord/kingdom/etc. factions
    Appearance: (a good paragraph at least, but you don’t have to go into exhaustive detail)
    Personality: (once again, I expect at least a good paragraph here, and well-rounded characters. Try and create a character with strengths as well as flaws. If I see something verging on Mary Sue territory, or a character with no real discernable flaw, I’m going to call you on it.)
    History: (the basis of a well-rounded character. Remember to include details on their life before they became a bearer and the time they spent in the five interim years. By now, they will have mastered, or at least become quite proficient, in the use of their powers, so one could also include their arc for learning how to control that here)
    Artifact and Power:

Mine:
    (spoilered for length, though I'd encourage you to take a look at least at the artifact and power sections to see what kinds of things to put there)
        Spoiler:
    Last edited by Firebrand; 2nd July 2014 at 11:54 PM.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

NPCs

In this RPG, there will be several NPCs. As we will likely be starting quite far from each other, these characters will give us a chance to interact with someone or have a foil. Many of these NPCs are warlords or powerful bearers of some kind. Your character could be a bearer in the service of one of these other forces, or could view them as a rival. I also leave the option for players to come to me with ideas for other NPCs, so if you don’t see anything you like here you could propose another warlord somewhere else and I’ll add them to the list. I don’t really have any warlords on the West Coast or even really the south, so feel free to propose some there if you don’t want your character to rule. However, I don’t want a ton of these NPCs around, so if it starts to become ridiculous, I’ll put a moratorium on it.

I have spoiler'd them because of length and all that. I'd ask you please at least glance through these before making an SU, just to see if any of these factions catches your eye. Also, it'll give you a good idea of the kinds of roles bearers take on in this new world.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Firebrand; 23rd June 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Not entirely sure about the detailes just yet, but cut me a reserve, would 'ya?¨

I have a few questions though: Would a telepathic link With Our artifact be allowed? I'm concidering a sword With some sort of magical qualities.
    Last edited by Schade; 16th June 2014 at 8:08 PM.

Sure thing, RESERVED.

And as to the sword thing, well, I'd like to see how it plays out and how you'd describe it in your sign up. There is something of a precedent for it with Dorian in the NPC log, so I guess so.

My WIP

Name: Alec Schade
    Faction: Wanderer, Unaligned
    Artifact and Power: The Red Sun: The red sun is a gemstone Alec wears around his neck. The gemstone grants him the ability to turn a wast variety of things into lethal weapons by engulfing them in a red energy similar to the gemstone itself. He utilize this with a pair of wooden katanas he carry around. Seemingly harmless at first, the katanas can cut through almost anything with little effort under the influence of the red sun.
    A downside to his powers are that they drain his energy in the long run. The bigger the construct, the more energy he spend.

Appearance: Alec is a seemingly slender young man, a little above average height. Despite his slender figure, he's quite well built due to his training, and have an overall muscular physique. His skin is pretty pale, and brings out the color of his natural red hair. His hair is at medium length and is normally messy, due to the fact that he's almost always wearing a hood. His eyes are hazel in color, and reveal little emotions, normally being strict and serious. He also have light freckles on his cheeks. His face is overall symmetrical, and others would think of him as pretty attractive. He doesn't have any facial hair (besides his eyebrows), and can often come across as younger than he really is.

For clothing, Alec prefer dressing practically. He usually wear a sleeveless black robe, reaching down to his knees. Under it, he keeps hints of the former modern world byw earing a pair of dark blue jeans. He wear a pair of snickers matching the robe, and a belt which his twin Katanas are fastened to. The trademark of his outfit is the peculiar hood he usually wears, as he feels it is necessary to cover his identity in order to differ between a life of fighting and a life of relaxing. The hood covers his entire head, with a zipperline to uncover his eyes and bangs. Over the zipperline are two marks resembeling eyes, giving the hood the look of a face. The hood also have two pointy "ears".

Personality: Not really an outgoing character, Alec prefers being alone, and doesn't talk much when he's around others. He's a Survivor, and always puts himself in front of everyone else when judging a situation. He have no trouble With killing or hurting others if they are in his way. Despite this, he value the human life, and often feel slight guilt afterwards, depending on the situation. As he rarely concider other People when making decissions, he's very selfish when it all comes Down to it. Despite this, he'd never intentionally put a friend in harms way, and though there're only a few of them, Alec value his friends almost as much as he value himself. He's loyal to his friends, and would risk his life to protect them if necessary.

After everything went to sh*t, Alec quickly realized that in order to survive, he had to adapt to the New harsh way of life. He rarely stay at one Place for a long period of time, and countless fights after he obtained his artifact have made him slightly paranoid. always on the alert, he tries his best to adapt, though he is struggeling to find a purpose in this life

History: Alec's life started out pretty normal. He lived With his parents in a Suburban street outside of New York. Being an energic child, his parents signed Alec up for martial arts traniing in order to channel some of his energy. since he was a single child, attention from his parents were never an issue. Though his father worked a lot, he always found time for his son, and the same With his mother. Alec's plans in life were pretty simple; He wanted to follow his dads steps as a big lawyer. For this though, he'd have to get good grades, something he had to work a lot With. He did, however, manage to get pretty stable grades as he finished higg School.

In contrast With his energic nature, Alec didn't get along well With other People. His parents often noticed that he just liked staying at home, training or simply be alone. They tried many times to talk to him about it, but they never got anywhere With it. He simply liked his own Company. Since his parents feared that he would grow lonely, they sent him away to a summercamp in order to try and get him to bond With People.

At summercamp though, Things got complicated when weird thunderstorms occoured. One morning, also, Alec awoke to fidn himself With a red gemstone on his night stand. Not really knowing wheer it came from, he decided to bring it along, as he appriciated its beauty. Things didn't really get any better when People started to panic. Alec didn't really know what to do With himself, as the camp supervisors and at least half of the teens in it had gone missing or fled the area. He decided that he would stay at the camp for it all to end. But it never did.

He also learned that the red Gem granted him some weird Power. The Power to energize anything of his wish to turn it into a weapon. At first, he was frightened, but he managed to utilize the Power in combination With his skills at martial arts. He ended up spending days, weeks and months back at the camp, training and honing his skills, Learning about his ability and to hide from People seeking to loot the Place. Only once did he have an unfortunate encounter With a gang of thugs, wanting to cause Mayhem, claiming to be "the New world order". Alec managed to fight them off, but he took a life in the process. That was the first time Alec killed someone. All this time, Alec wanted to get home, but he doubted that his parents were still around. Once he left the camp after about 2 years, he saw for the first time how messed up everything was. Not only were modern clothing obviously not modern anymore, but People seemed to have gone back to primal Anarchy, or dictatorships or whatnot. It was difficult to settle in, so Alec decided he'd spend the remaining of his days searching for his parents.

Other:
    - He's an expert combatant when it comes to close combat due to his speed and fighting style
    Last edited by Schade; 16th June 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Holy wow does this look like something. Put me down for a reserve, por favor.
    I have claimed Nuzleaf

Current Chapter Progress: Chapter IV, 10% complete
    Second Place: Best Pokemon-Centric, 2013 Fanfiction Awards
    Credit goes to Brutaka for the banner

Sure thing, RESERVED

Reserve please, under the name Kitt Ingram. I plan for him to be a master strategist to some nation.

You got it, RESERVED

Putting this here as a WIP.

Name: Nukka Fowler
    Age and Gender: 24, Female
    Faction: Kingdom of Nunavut

Appearance: Despite the many rumors started by those who fear her power, Nukka is not as intimidating in person as the stories about her claim. Standing at 5 feet, 2 inches in height, with olive skin and straight black hair, this ethnically Inuit former college student could have blended easily into any big-city college campus before the Fall occured. She has no real outstanding features, being rather pudgy and plain in appearance, though what makes her stand out from the rest of her people is her pure white fur parka, an article of clothing that she made herself to match the artifact bestowed upon her, which has in turn become a special symbol of her status as the queen of Nunavut: a territory that currently extends from what was previously Fairbanks, Alaska, and then down along the Pacific coast to northern British Columbia, Canada.

Personality: While Nukka may not be much to look at physically, she is definitely a commanding person in terms of personality. This diminutive Alaska native has a large ego packed inside her small frame, a personal trait of hers that has won her many debate team championships and has caused her to excel in her former major of political science. While many others may shy away from being put on the spot, Nukka has always relished in it, and when the Fall occured, she used her intelligence and prowess to build her queendom from the ashes of those around her, building what she calls a "perfect monarchy" from the rubble of the United States and Canada...and then using her power to actively expand the Kingdom of Nunavut to the entire North American continent.

However, while her personality has allowed her to emerge from relative obscurity and her Artifact has helped her secure her place as a powerful ruler, there are still many others whom she has made enemies with. As an absolute ruler, those used to living under democratic rule automatically disagree with her, and her un-filtered, no-nonsense attitude certainly doesn't help her matters when convincing others to come to her side, good arguments or not. Due to this, Nukka has developed multiple trust issues and has a circle of undyingly-loyal, ice-controlling Bearers that act as her secret police, whether it be for "keeping her citizens in line" or for investigating rival kingdoms in preparation for alliance or takeover...she makes no moves and trusts no representatives of the other side until she has gotten reliable reports from them alone.

History: Born in Fairbanks, Alaska, to an assimilated Inuit family, Nukka's life before the fall was relatively ordinary. She was an only child, though due to the fact that her parents bred Alaskan Malamutes for sled racing on the side, she always tells those who ask that the dogs her parents owned replaced actual siblings well enough so that she didn't really mind the occassional loneliness. Her parents were well known in the Fairbanks community: her father was a bush pilot for those who wished to travel to some of Alaska's more remote places, and her mother was a history professor at UAF. Granted, Nukka grew up surrounded by both the natural beauty of Alaska and the rich history the state had to offer, and in time came to appreciate them both fully as she grew older.

Academically, Nukka had always been a smart kid. Her proficiency in a number of subjects (unsurprisingly, one of those strong subjects was history) earned her places in each of her school's gifted and honors programs, while her talkative nature had garnered her many friends and a wide social circle. Her likeability was the key point in forming many of the bonds that her parents said were destined to last a life time, and gained her many prestigious titles in her high school senior yearbook. She was especially well known for her political discussions; as a member of the debate team Nukka was notorious for keeping up-to-date on the proceeding of American politics, and often had lively discussions with other students over topics relating to American legislature, and even going so far as to compary democracy with monarchies and dictatorships over the years. When asked, her friends would always say that Nukka's presence always filled the room, and when she began to have intelligent conversation with someone, one couldn't help but wonder if her age matched her, as she was believed to be far wiser than any teenager in her class. Eventually, she graduated with honors from Lathrop High School and was immediately accepted into UAF as a political science major.

However, around the start of her freshman year of college, everything took a turn for the worse.

To start, her father started off the summer by crashing his plane into the Chena River, drowning himself in a desperate attempt to escape the flooding cockpit. The police were called to investigate the accident, but no clear conclusion as to how and why the accident occured was ever proposed, and Mr. Fowler's grieving wife and daughter were left hanging on assumptions. Her father's sudden death had a marked impact on his college-bound daughter, whose personality began to grow more and more bitter as she began to lose trust in the fumbling law system of the city. She suddenly closed off from all but her closest friends and began perusing law and history books, finding faults in the justice system at every turn as she believed them to be

Then, after spending only a few months at UAF, the events of the Fall occured, easily killing off what was left of the people she had yet to find a reason to distrust, and she was left alone in the smoking heap of the city she grew up in, with her shrinking circle of friends gone and left with nothing other than a pair of seemingly useless bearskin gauntlets (that she had obtained at some point, she wasn't sure when), which she wore around her neck for the longest time before she discovered their power.

To be honest, the first time she transformed was an accident. It had been a cold morning in the Fairbanks ruins, and assuming her gauntlets were nothing more than a random piece of clothing that she hadn't remembered acquiring, she placed them over her hands in an attempt to keep them warm in the frigid, windy conditions.

Artifact and Power: Nukka's artifact is a pair of white fur gauntlets, which cover her hands like mittens and extend up to her elbows when worn. When activated, his artifact allows Nukka to transform into a truly monstrous polar bear, standing at nearly 11 feet in height and possessing strength that far surpasses the norm for the species. When in this form, Nukka's mind is focused only on annihalation of her enemies, and she flies into a predatory frenzy of destruction that no bullet short of 50-caliber and no blade wound short of beheading can stop. She can take on massive amounts of damage before even slowing down, and by the time one would get their hands on a weapon powerful enough to stop her completely, their chances of survival are already fairly low.

However, Nukka can only remain in this form for short periods of time (usually only a maximum of 2-4 hours) and is severely weakened and vulnerable upon shifting back to her normal form, usually requiring a recharge period that can take days to complete (the number of hours she spends as a polar bear = the number of days it takes to recharge from it).
    Last edited by GingerDixie; 9th July 2014 at 6:19 AM.
    I have claimed Nuzleaf

Current Chapter Progress: Chapter IV, 10% complete
    Second Place: Best Pokemon-Centric, 2013 Fanfiction Awards
    Credit goes to Brutaka for the banner

Name: Charm lightning~foot
    Age and Gender: 16 Female
    Faction: Wanderer (helps people out but does not get involved with major things.)

Appearance:
    She has shoulder length black hair, Small piercing green eyes, and a thin white scar running across her left cheek. She is short and thin, seeming to weight about as much as the air around her. She tends to stay away from makeup because it "detracts from my appearance." But occasionally she may add something to make an impression. Her wardrobe changes but has a common theme. Black and green. Her skirt is always black but her top changes from a dark green t-shirt, to a Blue long-sleeved shirt with green lighting bolts running thought it. She has a favorite pair of brown leather boots that she wears almost all the time. She only takes them off when she is sleeping or has to change her socks. She also wears a heavy metal gauntlet type thing with all sorts of knobs and dials. The arm she wears this on changes almost at random with out her having to do anything its almost as if Shifts around of its own volition.

Personality:
    She is of the religion of herself. She believes that her morals are the highest form of honor and dislikes anyone that does not keep to similar standards. Although she is often forced to break the code she never likes it when it happens. Her standards are to
    1) help other as much as possible
    2) live life to the fullest
    3) Don't kill (others or yourself)
    4) and never take advantage of someone in a lower station or standing as you.
    She travels around helping people in need of help. She can sometimes get involved in things much large however. When this happens to her she will often run or hide. Even if doing so could hurt or harm others she still will leave because she does not want to be owned again. She is terribly pessimistic and because of that she has a low opinion of herself. She also likes chocolate and almonds (but not together) and will never refuse hospitality from people. If others around her are feeling down or sad she is quick to offer comfort to them even thought she thinks so little of herself. She can be rude to people she dislikes and can't hide her emotions very well. If she were to chose a way to die she would die protecting someone from harm, although in reality, she could never really bring herself to do something like that. When people see her with Crash they often times think about how they are complete opposites. Most of the time if someone tells her todo something she will often do the complete opposite.

She is often described as rash and spontaneous. She will trust someone at a moments notice after just meeting them. Or she can go the opposite way and completely despise them. She is very susceptible to betrayal because she can trust people too easily. She is also bad at taking a leadership position. She makes poor decisions at times an more often then not this leads her and her group into trouble. She takes the blame for things on herself almost always. This often puts her into the position of leader. She also has mannaged to convince herself that she is a great leader when in reality she isn't.

History:
    She used to be a slave to a holder. She was enslaved because she offered herself in exchange for he brother. The holder tricked her however and brought her into bondage. This event is what brought on the fear of getting involved with large things although, she admits the two are not completely related either. She received her weapon but did not reveal it to her master until 3 years later. She killed her master and set off in serch of a brighter future. No longer would she be serving drinks or emptying chamber pots.

She spent the last two years getting mugged by bandits, helping people, and trying to find a way to stop the curse. Althought she does not like to get into things larger than herself she has been searching for a way to return the Artifacts power back to the heavens. She took a huge step forward when she discovered a mountain where they used to be infertile land. She climbed the mountain and on top was a cabin. Inside there was a library like room. Were she along with Crash found some records written in a foreign Tongue. They took the contents of the library (a couple of scrolls and a map). And headed to find someone to help them interpret them. As they walked away form the mountain it faded away as if it was never there.

Artifact and Power:
    Six rings one on each hand. The rings give he the power to push and pull on metal objects at a distance. She could pull a weapon out of someones hand or knock someone back via there metal pins in there shirt. The powers are directly connected to a persons weight however. So if she tries to push a metal against something heavier than herself then she will be shot in the opposite direction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Name: Crash (Has many names because he was often used and given a Nickname and/or renamed)
    Age and Gender: 17 Male
    Faction: Wanderer (helps people out but does not get involved with major things.)

Appearance:
    Tall but not overly tall Crash has seemingly weak mussels. They are much stronger than they appear how ever. He can run far and fast without tiring himself. He has light skin and short black hair. His wardrobe consists of track pants and T-shirts. Thought occasionally he dons a monocle, top hat, cane, and suit. Some how that costume makes him look much older than he really is. He wears a comically large sword around his back.

Personality:
    Tends not to talk very much. He is very stable and can get people out of jams pretty easily. He follows orders and has been taught from a young age 'It's not your job to think'. This encouraged him to do the exact opposite however. When he does talk whatever he says has been well thought out and deeply contemplated. His actions are similar. He does not take initiative unless he is certain what he is doing is better good and right. If he has been ordered to 'complete the task however you feel necessary." He will do it silently and effectively. Most take him t be kindof slow and a little stupid but in reality he is very smart he just choses not to show it.

Most people regard him as a tool or a weapon. He lives to serve they tend to say but, they are wrong. He lives to seek revenge. He wants to kill as many Un-worthy bearers as he can so that he can avvenge his father. He can lie convincingly and has no moral limits as to what means are to be used . He has managed to lie and cheat his way from kingdom to kingdom dethroning corrupt rules and setting up new leaders. His revenge has taken control of him. Now it is his identity and he wonders what will become of him once he has achieved it.

History:
    He was raised to be a solider in a home were the mother was gone and the father was a verteran from an old war long ago. His father died during one of the tribe wars. He spent a while in his home after his father died deciding what to do. When a blinding flash of light came and an artifact appeared on the front doorstep. Stunned he grabed the sword which seemed to have no weight. and he left to discover what was out in the world. To avenge the deaths of his father.

Eventually after being employed as an assassin in one of many different tribes and kingdoms. He met Charm. He took to the girl and decided to travel with her to help her in whatever way he could. Secretly although he would never tell anyone this he had a crush on her. He traveled with Charm because the last thing he wanted to happen to her was an untimely death.

Artifact and Power: He has sword dubbed "Comically large sword" (sometime you just need to be blunt with people). The sword weighs about as much as a short sword even for its large size. The blade is a dull grey and reflects light better then you would think. The sword grants the user inherent skill in combat. So Crash could pick up a knife and be able to use it as if he has been training with it their entire life. The same with any other weapon or tool. It also gives him extra speed, dexterity, and an amazing sense of balance. It also boosts his strength and endurance to a bit more than should be possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

THE PET

Name: Eris
    Species: Cat

Details:
    She travels with Crash and Charm loving them and stuff. They founder her in the wreckage of a building and decided to let her come with them. She enjoys spending time with them and loves to curl up next to people and enjoy there company. She also glows slightly when either of her masters are using there powers.

Description:
    She is jet black and is very small even thought she is full grown.

Spoiler:- I made a pet sign up:
    Last edited by Crash & Charm; 20th June 2014 at 6:56 PM. Reason: STUFFF lots and lots of stuff

@GingerDixie: So far so good. The only thing I'd like you to make sure you add is where Nunavut is relative to the present-day understanding of geography. If you already planned on that, fantastic. If not, well, I'm saying so here.

@Crash & Charm: You've got some issues. I'll just... run through them.
    -First off, the age. Keep in mind that this is set five years after a cataclysmic event that threw society into chaos. Odds are, a nine year old would not survive. I'd recommend aging her (and the guy) up at least two or three years
    -I hope she has some leeway in that moral code of hers because all four of those things are the things you have to do to survive in a crapsack world like the one this is set in
    -Also, on the topic of the personality section, Charm is veering awfully close to a Mary Sue. The whole "people always tend to like her thing" is a big flashing warning sign for that, as is the overbearing sense of altruism. There's also a pretty big inherent contradiction in that she is always bright and positive while being incredibly pessimistic. Granted, there's such a thing as putting on a brave face but if you're an uber pessimist you're not going to bother appearing happy go lucky and even if you do, the facade is generally pretty easy to see through. And ultimately, I can't really see any genuine flaws in her character outside of "Oh, I have a tragic backstory" syndrome. I guess what I'm saying is the personality section needs an overhaul to make her less of a stereotypically Mary Sue character
    -The history is just... too short. Try to get it to be about two paragraphs, each 4-5 sentences in length, minimum. This will help to serve as a template for your character when the game starts and give you something to hold on to. If you're stuck on what to write, think of it as two different arcs. Use the first paragraph to talk about her life before the Fall (and again, this is why aging her up would be a good thing) and then the second to talk about how she has spent the past five years.
    -The artifact and power seem a little too convoluted for these purposes. I'm not sure how I feel about time travel in this, even non-interference time travel, because it can lead to way too much navel-gazing and won't really contribute anything to gameplay. I think in the interest of the RPG, I'm going to ask you to come up with another power. Remember, simplicity is best. Look over the NPC powers or the other SUs if you're at a loss. They all have very simple descriptions of what they do, but that allows for a lot of creativity when the actual storytelling starts as your characters learn new and inventive ways to use their powers.
    -Also, on the subject of the artifact, you'll have to change how she got it. I thought I made it clear when I said " if you kill or incapacitate another bearer and take their artifact, it’s just an inert object" but I guess not so I'll reiterate. A person can't just pick up an artifact and use it, nor can they kill a bearer and take theirs. The artifacts are kind of like the wands in Harry Potter, you don't choose them, they choose you. Even if she did kill her master and take his artifact, it wouldn't work for her.

On Crash:
    -Once again, Crash just seems like a really flat character. I'm going to ask you to really flesh him out a bit more, give him some depth and some flaws. As he's written now, he just seems like a sock puppet. It's one thing to have a stoic character who is obedient to a fault, it's quite another to just have another piece in play to move around.
    -Also, as far as appearance goes, unless his artifact grants him superhuman physiology, a person with no or weak muscles can't really do the things you describe him doing. Realism is a good thing. Describing it as lean muscle would be fine, but as it stands...
    -Artifact-wise, the secondary power of his sword doesn't make sense. Also, a large sword would make wielding a second weapon difficult, as he would need two hands to be able to use the blade he's got.

Anyway I edited my post and just wanted you to take a look at it. Charms artifacts original power was supposed to help he figure out how to fix the Crap sack world they are living in. Time travel to learn what happened in the pat would have been useful in finding out what exactly is going on. Is it ok that I had them find the mountain with the old scrolls. It kind of give the two a purpose for the story I think but I might be off center a bit. I also thought that part in the op about not being able to take a bearers weapon was only applicable if you already owned one but it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by Crash & Charm; 20th June 2014 at 3:22 AM.

@Crash & Charm: Getting there. Powers are much better than before, and history as it stands could work. You can make your characters' goal to be figuring out things about the artifacts, but the plot isn't going to give you anything in that direction. Not sure how I feel about the whole scrolls being related to the artifacts because the point is they're supposed to be some kind of eldrich alien power that no one understands, something that just appeared one day so there wouldn't be anything about them except for things written after the Fall. There's no real way to send the artifacts "back", but if you want to have that be their goal, go for. Just know that they won't ever really be able to accomplish anything towards it. Were you to come close to derailing something or made too many jumps to conclusions, I'd have to send in the Arbiter to put an end to things. Still, motives are good, just be aware that eventually the goals are going to have to change or evolve.

And you haven't done anything to change the personalities, these are still pretty bland Sue-ish characters.

ok got it I will take a re-evauation on the personality's
    but I will get to it tomorrow because its getting late and I need to sleep.

Alright I got home and finished taking my math regents. i'm ready to start fixing.
    Last edited by Crash & Charm; 20th June 2014 at 5:27 PM.

@Crash&Charm: All right, a marked improvement over the original. ACCEPTED

All right, Treeconator, you're down for a RESERVE

Also, I think I'm going to put a hold on any more wanderer SUs. While this is primarily an RPG where we can fight with superpowers and so on, it's also going to be an intrigue RPG and it's hard to do that when a bunch of the players aren't beholden to any real political agenda. So until we get some more sign ups in warlord/kingdom/etc. factions, no more wanderers and scavengers. First post is updated to account for this.

Can I reserve a spot?

Quote Originally Posted by cmats4020 View Post
    Can I reserve a spot?
    Sure thing.

I think when we get the current reserved SUs in, and then maybe two or three more people showing interest, we'll get started.

We have a discussion thread!

To any and all outstanding reserves/WIPs, please try to get those in by the end of the week. If all goes well, I'd like to get this started over the weekend, okay? Also, there's still room for anyone who wants to sign up!

It ended up being longer than i expected, but i hope that's all right.
    Name: Allison Oswald

Age and Gender: 27 year old female

Faction: The Rosethorn Empire

Appearance: A regal figure, Allison stands at an impressive 6'5" with an average broadness in her shoulders for a female and long, somewhat muscular legs. Her arms are average length and decently muscular, and her hands are delicate on the outside. On the palms, however, her hands are rough and calloused in addition to her sharp fingernails. Allison is a blonde, with her hair is parted down the middle, coming down to her shoulders. Her hair is cut jaggedly on the sides, and she also wears her hair in bangs and small spikes on the top. Her figure is not quite hourglass, with her breasts being of average size, and her hips having some fat. Allison's face is an oval shape, except for her somewhat sharp chin. Her cheeks are also slightly plump, but this only affects her profile and not the shape of her face. She has pale skin with blemishes frequently occurring around her chest and a scar behind her left ear. Her eyes are a dull brown, and her nose is sharp.

Allison wears a black and red military officer's jacket, buttoned up all the way on the top, but unbuttoned at the bottom to expose a bit of her well-toned abdomen. It also makes her look slimmer than she is due to the broad shoulders and tight hourglass effect of the jacket. The jacket has a blood-red symbol on her right chest of a thorn in the shape of a "T" with only the left part of its head. This is the symbol of the Rosethorn Empire. Underneath the jacket, Allison has a white blouse. She also wears long, black pants with a white belt and thin with a long, upside-down golden triangle as the buckle. She keeps her clothes tidy and with the utmost care. Her socks are white and sporty, and she wears blood-red thick-heeled sneakers.

Personality: Allison is a bit shy and fragile on the inside, not dealing well with insults regarding her looks, weight, or lack of femininity, and is easily embarrased. However, she is strong-willed and not easily deterred from a task that she must complete. On the outside, she is proud, noble, and (almost insultingly) arrogant. Turning her nose on the folly of society and those that she seems weaker than her, she does not deal with strangers well. Allison generally does not associate herself with others very often and will not usually make friends in the traditional sense of the word. If she respects someone, however, she will make it abundantly clear that she thinks so and be willing to associate with them. However, the road to her trusting and respecting someone takes a lot. Allison is, by nature, frank and painfully honest. She is completely loyal to the empire that she serves and acts as the Queen of. Despite loving her subjects immensely, she hates their overprotective nature, as she is enthralled with the heat of the battle. Allison is quite aware that her place is not in politics, but in the head of the charge. She despises talk of the time before the artifacts, and seems particularly eager to forget it.

History: Allison grew up in Florida, but went to college at MIT. Having an early growth spurt, Allison was always taller and larger than her classmates. She was bulkier and more athletically inclined as well. Because of this, Allison was frequently bullied and ostracized. She never quite fit in. She ended up becoming reclusive and introverted, not really wanting to talk to anyone. However, this all changed in high school when she met a boy named Julian Castro. Being in a similarly lonely position, the two bonded. However, when Allison looked at him, he seemed so content. When she asked why this was, Julian responded that the thoughts of others didn't matter if he didn't respect them. When she discounted this as stupid or of broken logic, he reasoned that the thoughts of those who didn't matter to him shouldn't matter at all. She continued to deny this, but throughout the year, he continued defending his case. Finally, Allison conceded. It turned out that during this process, they had fallen in love. Throughout the rest of high school, they became romantically involved, and became the "odd" couple. However, with Julian's help, Allison stopped caring. Together, they dreamed of the future and how they would shape the world into something that they could respect. When it came time for college, they continued to keep in touch although they were separated. And then Allison discovered the necklace. In the year of her college graduation, she woke up with her artifact, a stone necklace on her.

At first, Allison wasn't sure what the necklace did. However, she had angered many people during her run at college with her lazy habits, so when she graduated at the top of her class the day after, people were not very happy. As soon as she exited the campus to go live with Julian, who was making moves in the political world at the time (he had already made powerful friends and was set to enter the federal legislature as soon as he turned 30), she was attacked by two agitated people. Trying desperately to defend herself, she punched one of her assailants. The necklace seemed to extract some energy from her, and her punch launched the assailant into the wall. The assailant's companion took out a knife, but her body seemed to move on its own. Swiftly disarming the armed man, the necklace took more energy out of her. Allison continued to defend herself until the victims needed to be hospitalized and she passed out from the energy consumption. However, due to the chaos at the time, they weren't able to get medical attention, and Allison wasn't questioned. Julian eventually discovered what was going on, and came over to figure it out himself. After she came to and explained what had happened, he asked her to figure out what exactly she could do. When he saw the extent of her abilities, he revealed that he had been planning a sort of uprising since the day that it all went to hell. Julian had seen the news on TV. He knew that the United States Government would not last much longer. With help from his friends, he said, he might be able to establish his own empire, even. All he would need to assert his authority would be a strong queen to his weakness as a king, such as chess. Allison believed him to be right, and agreed to help him. After about a year, they recruited a large amount of people in Western America (Nothern California, Oregon, Southern Washington, a bit of Idaho). It blossomed into the Rosethorn Empire, and Allison became the Warrior Queen, with Julian being the Genius Emperor.

Artifact and Power: Allison's stone necklace amplifies her strength greatly and increases her reflexes, combat instinct, skin's durability, and speed. She is also unable to feel tiredness while the powers of the necklace are in effect. She will keep on fighting until she stops of her own volition or passes out of exhaustion. This is due to the fact that every use of the amplified abilities costs her great energy, despite not being able to feel it. Her stamina can only allow her to use this ability in full-on hand-to-hand combat for about 10 minutes before she faints. The necklace cannot be removed by any external force, and the ability will only be in effect when there is skin contact. Allison can easily take it off herself, but only if she intentionally does. The energy consumed can be regained to full extent if she rests just before passing out for about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by RealMrGame10; 28th June 2014 at 7:17 PM.

^Sworn Metalhead made that and is pretty cool^
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug
    Giovanni x Mudkip = new OTP
    I CLAIM BIDOOF! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    I've also claimed the Scion of Legend, Owain! JUSTICE!

@RealMrGame: Looks good, ACCEPTED. All I'd ask is you give a little more specificity as to where the empire is, "western America" is a little broad. If you can, just mention the states that used to occupy the same general area.

Thanks, I did the thing

^Sworn Metalhead made that and is pretty cool^
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug
    Giovanni x Mudkip = new OTP
    I CLAIM BIDOOF! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    I've also claimed the Scion of Legend, Owain! JUSTICE!

Alright, going to give this a stab. It's been a while since I've roleplayed, so my apologies if my rustiness shows. Also, I'm trying to be a bit vague with regards to what factions did what below to avoid conflict with any other histories in play. I will provide more detail if necessary but I think it's gotten kinda long as is.

Name: Heather Reid

Age and Gender: 29, Female

Faction: Mississippi River Protectorate Association

Appearance: Standing at a mere 5 feet and 2 inches with a lean, athletic build, Heather does not exactly strike the most imposing figure. At first glance, she seems to care rather little for her appearance, preferring old, well broken-in clothing (chiefly army surplus) and eschewing all accessorizing aside from her artifact, which she wears around her right wrist. Looking closer, however, one will quickly find that her clothing is actually remarkably clean and well cared for, her clothes cleanly and skillfully patched and her boots often freshly polished. This meticulous attention to detail also carries to her personal hygiene, as she maintains a strict regimen of showers and bathing. Her short, chestnut-colored hair appears to be a particular point of pride, always carefully combed to look just a little bit disheveled but never too much, and she has been caught more than once absent-mindedly playing with it when she thinks no-one is looking.

Heather still appears rather youthful for her age, especially compared to her peers, though mostly because she makes a point of carrying herself with an almost exaggerated appearance of energy and purpose wherever she goes. When sufficiently annoyed or tired, it's not hard to notice the trace of lines on her face where the skin draws just a bit too close to the bone or the slightly jagged gait brought on by her right knee, stiffened by the strain of her lifestyle and an old injury that never healed just right.

Personality: Fitful and moody, Heather could charitably be described as eccentric and uncharitably be described as crazy. She can be playful and mischievous one minute, cheerfully cracking jokes and nudging the people around her to lighten up, then suddenly fall into a sullen silence when a single remark she meant in seriousness is taken lightly, refusing all apologies or attempts to placate her only to later snap out of it on her own and resume the conversation as if the argument never took place at all, all with the same, unbridled passion and enthusiasm. Trivial anecdotes, strange questions, questionable moral advice and morbid, off-color jokes are her bread and butter, all delivered with an air of confidence that brooks no argument or correction. She jokes, debates, chats, argues, flirts and enters prolonged and vicious fights, whichever mood strikes her, and appears equally pleased with herself no matter which one of the above she just walked out of.

As much as her behavior seems strange and unpredictable, however, Heather is actually a remarkably reliable person to those who are accustomed to her eccentricities. She maintains a strong code of personal honor towards her work (only bent on occasion and within the limits of reason, which she will firmly argue is 'really as good as you can expect from anyone') and is fiercely loyal and protective towards people she considers friends, even if her temperamental behavior makes it hard for the people within that rather exclusive club to know who they are. Despite her apparently carefree manner, she is also an extremely solid operative in the field, handling any mission she takes on with remarkable care and tenacity.

The precise reasons for Heather's paradoxical behavior remain largely unknown as even broaching the topic with her is likely to illicit another period of particularly offended silence. Several people have speculated that not even Heather herself may know for sure, pointing out that questions she doesn't have a snappy answer to are usually the only thing that get her to shut up that easily, but she has yet to dignify such slander with comment. By her own telling, Heather is simply doing her best to live life to the fullest, but something, be it an edge of uncertainty to her voice or a strange look in the corner of her eye, always seems to find its way in to make this explanation sound unconvincing.

History: A self-described 'mili brat' born to two US army officers, Heather spent more of her formative years at various military bases across North America than she ever did on a playground. As her family was frequently redeployed, many of her early childhood friendships were formed and lost within the same year, her education similarly bouncing from school to school. Where many children would have suffered, however, Heather instead seemed to thrive. Outgoing and highly curious, she turned out to have a knack for assuming leadership within whatever group of children she found herself in, effortlessly making new friends and bitter rivals wherever she went. Bored of sitting around, she also took up mimicking the manners and habits of the military personnel on base, much to the delight of her parents, who were already seeing an officer's career in her future.

Unfortunately, while she had a way with people, Heather also quickly proved to have an uncanny knack for causing trouble. Whether it was at the principal's office after punching a would-be bully at school or at the top of a particularly tempting tree, building, or other convenient piece of scenery, Heather always seemed to find herself where she shouldn't have been. While most of her escapades ended in little more than scrapes, bruises and uncomfortable phone calls, however, one particular escapade ended far more seriously than most.

It wasn't her fault. Not really. Anyone would have looked at that tree and seen themselves at the top, especially when they decided to up the ante by threatening to chop it down. She didn't do a bad job climbing it either, not until she got a fair way up towards the top, felt the ominous shift as the all too thin trunk slowly gave way, heard the ominous creak, the snap of the branch she was going to use to backtrace her path crumbling down beneath her. The wind picked up, the tree creaked, and the world flipped.

They found her about twenty minutes later, leg wedged beneath the snapped off trunk, trying her hardest not to cry. After all, she was nine and a half and far too old for that.

To the astonishment and relief of her doctors and parents alike, Heather had survived her ordeal with remarkably little damage, the impact of her fall apparently cushioned by the undergrowth she had crashed into. The doctor called her blessed and gave her a cast and a pair of crutches, which brought her much prestige among her peers, much to her parents' chagrin. The injury healed over time, but not quite right. Whether it was an oversight of the doctors or a result of her own restlessness, the bone regrew slightly skewed, leaving her knee noticeably rigid, if still usable.

The injury later saw Heather disqualified from military service, leaving her future in a rather ambivalent position. Her parents had hoped that the injury would at least help rein in Heather's reckless behavior a little bit, and for a while it seemed to do just that, but as she grew into high school and later college, it wasn't long before some of Heather's older friends introduced her to the wonders of student life, many of which did not necessitate much in the way of climbing or running ability. She continued studying diligently throughout her freshman and sophomore years, latching onto whatever subjects or courses caught her fancy, but the further she progressed, the more clear it became to her that she had no idea where she was going. The senior studies began to drag, the partying intensified, the student debt mounted, the parents began making ultimatums...

Then, apocalypse happened.

In all honesty, it took Heather a while to notice. Embarrassingly long, really. Then again, it wasn't until she finished her business in front of the bathroom mirror that she found the presence of mind to even question where the bead necklace had shown up from. By the time her hangover had been suitably curbed, the rioters in her area had already shifted the conflict further down town, leaving a dazed Heather to piece together what had passed.

Fortunately, Heather's ability to adapt did not fail her. Before long, a friend of a friend thought to call her up, inviting her to join them in their own bid for domain in the chaos. Always one to try anything once and lacking any better solutions, Heather joined in, soon finding that - indiscriminate violence aside - the post-apocalypse wasn't quite as bad as she had first thought. Her friends' faction had the superior numbers in the area, possessing several bearers besides herself, and the training from her dashed military career was highly appreciated, soon earning her a place as a squad commander. Together, they forced their would-be rivals out one after the other, carving out their own territory, from Dubuque in the east to Des Moines in the west, and for that brief, glorious period, they were in charge. The leaders, meaning mostly the squad leaders, got together and drafted a very formal-sounding declaration of independence for the state of Iowa and read it out in solemn, reverential tones to all those assembled. Then, they celebrated. Liquor stores were raided, supermarket goods confiscated, windows broken, fights initiated, sexual morals compromised. Anything and everything you could think of to do when you knew the world around you was screwed forever and you really didn't have the first idea of what you could do about it. A sense of excitement and desperation permeated the proceedings of the week-long rampage and they threw themselves into it with all their might, trying to push aside the horrid burden of responsibility looming over them for just one more day.

Then, they came. It wasn't clear who came exactly, whether they were even allies or just two predators pouncing on the same prey, but the sum and substance of it was that the free state of Iowa was caught with its pants down. The raiders were quick and ruthless, sacking city after city as the disorganized remains of the free state's defense rallied to Cedar Rapids to make their stand.

What exactly happened at Cedar Rapids remains unclear to this day. When a squad from the MRPA was hired to run recon on the area, they found nothing but fire and devastation, the entire city reduced to ash and rubble from which a single young woman emerged clutching a pistol in one hand and fervently clinging to a black bead necklace in the other.

While the exact nature of Heather's power was unclear at first, Julius Roy Hill was no fool and immediately saw the potential value of someone capable of walking out of such complete devastation virtually unscathed. Once she had settled suitably to be interacted with and for the gun to be pried out of her hands, Heather was presented with a most generous employment proposition.

Four years later, it was clear that what had been viewed as a major gamble on Hill's part at the time had paid off well. While her fitful and difficult disposition was a continuous headache for her superiors, Heather has proven herself a very efficient mercenary, the unique edge provided by her artifact giving her a particularly lucrative niche in dealing with troublesome bearers which was brought to bear more than once during the course of the fall wars. While she has fit in surprisingly well with her fellow mercenaries, however, she maintains a cordial distance to Julius himself, all too aware of just how quickly a devalued asset can be replaced in the MRPA.

Artifact and Power: A simple silver necklace adorned with black beads made of an unknown substance which seems to take no grime, tarnish or discoloration. While touching the skin of its owner, this artifact completely negates all supernatural powers attempting to directly affect her or any object in direct contact with her. Psychic probing receives no response, mystical energy dissipates harmlessly, and unnaturally produced force fails to affect. What's more, the substance itself is an exceptionally potent toxin against other bearers if powdered and introduced into their bloodstream, causing severe internal damage to its victim each time they attempt to harness the power of their artifact, crippling and eventually killing them if they persist. Though the strength of reaction varies from bearer to bearer, experimentation so far has shown that the amount of powder produced by grinding up a whole bead will always result in a fatal dosage.

While she is more than happy to promote the ominous nickname, Heather has grown well aware that her 'godkiller' is not quite as all-powerful as the fearful rumors surrounding it make it out to be. While it will certainly deflect a blast of mystical energy or neutralize telekinetic force attempting to crush her, it does very little to stop the completely natural impact of a bullet between the eyes or even a good swing from a solid piece of wood, placing her in the peculiar position of holding a terrifying advantage against other bearers but absolutely none against mere normals.

Finally, and most pressingly, the past five years have shown Heather that her final trump card is a very limited resource. Originally plentiful, the necklace has been reduced to a mere nine beads, the tenth ground up inside an unused round of ammunition. Concerned that spending the last bead might turn the artifact itself inert, she has grown increasingly hesitant about using her signature poison, saving it for an absolute last resort.
    Last edited by Creepychu; 30th June 2014 at 2:27 AM.

@Creepychu, looks good, ACCEPTED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast