Thread: Community POTW #037

Default Community POTW #037

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and this week is the first in our annual 3 week celebration of the release of the movie

It's Absol, the Disaster Pokémon. As standard, Absol is capable of quite a lot, and can hit hard and fast

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/359.shtml

In addition to this, and the reason it was selected, we have its brand new Mega Evolution to cover!

Go nuts

Stats
    On the plus, there's 130 base Attack. That's good by anyone's standards. However, 75 speed and a defensive spread of 65/60/60 is subpar bordering on awful. 75 SpAtk isn't too great either...

Movepool
    Physically, Night Slash Play Rough, Megahorn, X-Scissor, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge, Psycho Cut, Sucker Punch, Foul Play, Zen Headbutt, Knock Off and Assurance are the choices. Nice variety. Setup-wise, there's SD, Me First, Snatch, BPass, Perish Song and Taunt. Fairly good. Specially, there's Blizzard/Ice Beam, Future Sight, Thunder/Bolt, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Snarl, Flamethrower/Fire Blast and Hex are choices. Not good for Absol, but the Mega can use a Special set.

Abilities
    Pressure: Good in some situations, especially as some of the better moves out there have low PP.
    Super Luck: Good for critmax sets, especially with Night Slash.
    Justified: Meh. Good on a switchin, but I doubt it's going to tank too many hits anyway...

Set
    Nightstalker
    Absol@Scope Lens
    Super Luck
    252 Atk, 252 HP/Spd, 4Spd/HP
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Snatch
    -Stone Edge

Critspam set, just because normal Absol's not really capable of much else. Snatch is to steal any of their setups, if predicted.

Counters
    Hit it. It's not that bulky, and it's probably not going to outspeed you.

Pros/Cons
    +Attack stat is godly.
    +Varied movepool.
    -Every other stat is poor/awful.

Mega Absol
    Stats
    Wow. 150 Atk is the selling point here, although 115 SpAtk and Spd aren't to be underestimated. The defensive spread... Is unchanged. Really?
    Ability
    Magic Bounce is a useful ability, especially as it allows MegAbsol to act as an antilead. Reflecting SR back at them, and them hitting hard... Yeah. It also stops Taunting, allowing it to setup, and and reflects status moves like Toxic. The pokemon that throw them out, generally tend not to like taking one to the face...

Sets
    Lightning Strikes Twice.
    Absol@Absolite
    Modest
    252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    -Dark Pulse
    -Ice Beam
    -Fire Blast
    -Thunderbolt

MegAbsol can pull a special set, with that SpAtk, however rare it is. Simple set, 2 coverage plus STAB, and Snarl for anti-Special damage.

Absolitely Brilliant!
    Absol@Absolite
    Adamant
    252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
    -Night Slash
    -Sucker Punch
    -Stone Edge/Play Rough
    -Psycho Cut/SD
    Simple, physical set. STAB and coverage, with Psycho Cut to hurt the Fighting switchin. SD can set up to cause even more damage, but the defenses aren't up to taking hits.

Counters
    Anything with Mach Punch can check MegAbsol. Those low defenses and low HP will be its bane. Also, Scrafty can take most everything it can throw, and OHKO with HJK.

Pros/Cons
    +Fast
    +Good Spatk
    +God-killing Atk
    +Useful Ability.
    -Awful defenses.
    Last edited by Ironthunder1604; 9th July 2014 at 1:40 PM.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

Ah Absol, one of my favorite Hoenn Pokemon. Capable of hitting hard but it just can't keep up with faster threats, especially with crappy defenses. As is, this is the set I use

Jolly/Adamant
    Ability: Super Luck
    Life Orb/Choice Scarf (If Jolly, I use Life Orb, if Adamant, I use Choice Scarf)
    EVS: Max out attack and speed, put the rest into hp
    Moves: Night Slash/Sucker Punch, Megahorn, Play Rough, Rock Slide/other moves to fit your needs

With a Choice scarf, Absol can manage to outspeed some of the Pokemon who could give it problems, with Life Orb, it gives it an added punch to its already good attack. Night Slash is stab, but you can use Sucker Punch as well if you don't want to worry about being outrun, Megahorn deals with psychics, Play Rough is for other Darks and fighting types, and Rock Slide is for other coverage. There are other moves you can use in the stead of Rock Slide, but its what I use.

One big problem it has is that it doesn't get a move that is a surefire counter to the new Fairies, so that is something it has to maneuver around very carefully.

Now, I use the same set above for Mega Absol, but I've seen others use it differently. Since I don't know those specific sets, I'll leave it up to the people who do xD

Pokegym Credit: Azulart (gym badge),FairyWitch (Userbar)
    Trinity Credit: AstralShadow (personal banner and trade shop button) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & Sworn Metalhead (symbol)

Absol. I like this one. Not a lot, but I like it. Has a very nostalgic feel from Gen III for me. Not impressive then, but got a lot better when the Physical/Special split was implemented.

Stats:
    -HP - Slightly-Below Average - Base 65 is a rough start for Absol. Then again, it's not designed to be a tank.
    -Attack - Incredible - Base 130 Attack is impressive since only regular Tyranitar, Mega-Tyranitar, and Mega-Gyarados are the only Dark Types with higher Attack. With Mega-Absol's 150, that drops regular Tyranitar from that incredibly short list.
    -Defense - Mediocre - Base 60 isn't helping take hits. Then again, Absol never really could.
    -Sp.Atk - Slightly-Below Average/Great - Absol has good Special options, but only Base 75 to back it up. Mega-Absol redeems itself with a respectable Base 115.
    -Sp.Def - Mediocre - Base 60 isn't helping take hits. Then again, Absol never really...whoa, deja vu...
    -Speed - Dead Zone-bordering-Good (non-Trick Room)/Great (non-Trick Room) - Absol's main weakpoint aside from survivability is being able to get a hit in with Base 75 Speed. Mega-Absol rectifies this with Base 115 Speed.

Abilities:
    -Pressure - A good Ability, but not so much on something that isn't tank-y.
    -Super Luck - Slash, Night Slash, and Psycho Cut spam, ahoy! Not reliable, but better than nothing.
    -Justified (Hidden, Available [Friend Safari or Poké Transfer]) - Not reliable since you have to survive a hit from a Dark-Type Move (made somewhat easier from Dark Type's resistance to itself), but, again, better than nothing.
    -Magic Bounce - Mega-Absol gets an interesting Ability, but anything that's trying to take down Absol/Mega-Absol with Support and Status Moves instead of directly attacking it is doing it wrong...

Overall, Absol is a monster if you can get a hit off. If. Absol is frail, but most glass cannons are. Mega-Absol's Speed helps get past regular Absol's biggest drawback. Definitely bring support in the form of Baton Passed Speed Buffs.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Pros:
    -Absol can strike pretty well with moves like Slash and Psycho Cut.
    -A decent amount of speed, usually likely to attack first.
    -Super Luck ability can help Absol with its Atk. Stats and also it can help to take down some "tank" Pokemon.

Cons:
    -Low Def. and Sp. Def, since the fact that most Fighting Type and Bug Type moves are Physical attacks, and Fairy Type moves are Special attacks.

SHINIES

DRAGON EGGS

Click on the Egg/Dragon to help me grow them!
    You can make your own at www.dragcave.net!

Unlike last week, I have good memories of Absol; it hits hard and is quite viable under the right circumstances.

Absol lives up to its moniker both positively and negatively. On the positive side, Absol’s presence means that if it can get a hit off, it will wreak disaster on the opposing team. On the negative side, Absol’s defenses are a disaster. Absol is a glass cannon, but it can do its job. Plus it looks like a boss.

Only a mind reader can save you from this disaster
    Absol (Pressure/Super Luck)
    Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    -Sucker Punch
    -Swords Dance
    -Play Rough/Night Slash/Quick Attack
    -Stone Edge/Night Slash/Thunder Wave/Taunt
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK)
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP

This set relies a lot on prediction. If you think your opponent is going to attack: Sucker Punch. If you think they are going to switch or not attack, use Swords Dance to up the ante. The following moves are up to personal preference. Night Slash is a more reliable STAB move, Play Rough offers beautiful coverage, hitting troublesome Fighting and Dark types that resist your STAB. Quick Attack is reliable priority and after Swords Dance hurts a lot. Stone Edge is extra coverage, Thunder Wave is a band-aid for your speed, and Taunt is to force a switch or a Sucker Punch.

P.S. Absol possesses the strongest Sucker Punches in the game, and it works beautifully with Absol as it is a slow glass cannon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mega Absol, is beauty incarnate. Take a badass pokemon, make it more badass, fix its problems, slap on an amazing ability and give it good reason to use the other half of its movepool. The only difficulty is to find the moment to Mega Evolve.

God of Wrath
    Absol (Pressure/Magic Bounce)
    Item: Absolite
    -Dark Pulse
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Flamethrower/Sucker Punch
    Nature: Modest (+SATK, -ATK) or Timid (+SPD, -ATK)
    EVs: 252 SATK/252 SPD/4 HP

While I admit that this wastes Absol’s world crushing attack, it has a nasty element of surprise. Physical walls that Mega Absol has trouble with crumple under its special attacks:

252 Atk Jolly Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 93-111 (22.1 - 26.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
    VS.
    252 SpA Timid Mega Absol Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 238-280 (56.6 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Jolly Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 94-112 (26.5 - 31.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Poison Heal
    VS.
    252 SpA Timid Mega Absol Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 456-540 (128.8 - 152.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Additionally, Absol’s special movepool has a wider super effective coverage than its physical movepool, in part thanks to the Bolt-Beam combo. Dark Pulse is for STAB and Flamethrower for extra super effective coverage. Sucker Punch is again powerful priority and can bluff a physical set.

Other Options

-Me First
    Interesting for Mega Absol, who has the speed to use it.

-Perish Song
    Guaranteed phazing or KO

-Calm Mind/Charge Beam
    The only ways that Mega Absol can boost its special attack, but lacks the speed and wow of Swords Dance

-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    Absol has a plethora of status moves, but is generally too frail take advantage of it

-Substitute
    Makes misprediction less painful

-Knock Off
    Better than Night Slash, but requires transfer.

-Bounce
    Combines Play Rough and Thunderwave in utility, but is more unreliable than both of them. Transfer only.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 6th July 2014 at 5:23 PM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Absol is one of the sweetest looking Pokemon ever created. Unfortunately, its performance did not match the appearance.
    Until X and Y came out.
    Absol has gained a huge number of buffs in the generation shift. One was Steel's lost resistance to Ghost and Dark attacks, making Absol more capable of unleashing powerful STAB moves. This leads to buff number two: New STAB options. While it doesn't hit as hard as Sucker Punch or Night Slash, Knock Off is one of Absol's greatest weapons to use. Buff number three is a new tool for coverage: Play Rough. Before, Fighting types could shrug off the wimpy little Psycho Cut. Now, Play Rough hits much harder. The biggest buff is quite obvious: Mega Evolution. Mega Absol has enhanced offensive potential, which includes a base 115 speed stat, fixing Absol's main problem from the past. The Magic Guard ability reflects Thunder Waves and Will-o-Wisps and other nasty stuff back. If you don't Mega Evolve Absol, you are not using Absol correctly. Plain and simple.
    I claim Buizel.

Ooh, Absol. Used it a couple of times, to great effect.

#1: Legend Killer
    Adamant, 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Super Luck, Focus Sash.
    Swords Dance
    Sucker Punch
    Night Slash
    Psycho Cut

Use Swords Dance, survive a hit with Focus Sash, kill with Sucker Punch. Works surprisingly well when facing a team of Legendary Pokemon, as quite a lot of powerhouses don't have high enough Def to survive. Kyogre, for example. Wrong tier, perhaps, but who cares. Something in the lower tier can crush those in higher.

#2: Fancy Blade
    Jolly, 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Super Luck (Magic Bounce), Absolite.
    Knock Off
    Psycho Cut
    Stone Edge
    Superpower

Requires BW2. But pretty straight forward. Go Mega. Kill. And switch out frequently for a potential for some insane Magic Bounce micro, which works well with Superpower's stat lowering effect.
    Tired of seeing all-shiny teams on Wifi Random Matchup?
    Tired of hearing your friends brag about their shinies?
    Tired of hatching thousands of eggs to just get Hidden Power right?
    Visit my shop and turn the tables! PT's Perfect Shiny Shop. The simple solution.

Absol.. well the only reason he is UU is his mega evolution except the element of surprise there is little to no reason to not use it's mega unless you are in some format which separates megas from none megas. for a side note to all people posting normal absol sets scuker punch is a must in most sets since he is kinda slow and it might save you a lot.

Only justified might help him as a standard ability as knock off is a really common move nowadays with good prediction you might get a +1 attack for little to no damage(knock off isn't good against megas AND absol resists dark so it will have a base 37 damage from probably a tank without attack inversment) it's other 2 abilities don't help mega absol.

Magic bounce on a sucker punch user.. wow.. that's amazing on paper on practice you need to predict a lot.

Angelic Destruction
    @absolite
    Ability:justified/Magic bounce
    EVs: 252 attack/252 speed/4 HP
    Nature:Adamant/Jolly(adamant is better since you have sucker punch but if speed is desirable take jolly as you have no way of boosting it)
    -Sucker Punch
    -Night Slash
    -Play Rough
    -Swords Dance/Pursuit

dark/fairy coverage is only resisted by 2 pokemons klefki whichand mawhile which are both banned from UU.
    Sucker Punch is a must since the turn you mega evolve you are kinda slow(that's the reason you don't need protect) and it's your strongest STAB move.
    Night Slash is your most reliable source of damage being a STAB that doesn't need prediction it's weaker than sucker punch but have a 12.5 crit chance.
    Play Rough gives excellent coverage and is a strong and fairly reliable (90 accuracy is good) physical attack.
    Swords Dance is your boosting move with magic bounce you can totally block walls with little offense (like no Gyro Ball Forretress for example) or things you can make switch out it's risky to boost with being such a frail pokemon.Or Pursuit can help you get rid of things you make switch out I put it instead of swords dance cause it's viable but the other moves are too important.

Protect is an option but a good player should be able to predict and not to rely on a move which makes you predictable yourself.

Impending Doom
    @absolite
    Ability:Justified/Magic Bounce
    Nature: Rash/Naive/ or Modest/TImid if not running a physical move
    EVs: 252 sp.attack/252 speed/4 attack
    -Dark Pulse/Sucker Punch
    -Ice Beam/Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt/Flamethrower
    -Pursuit/Sucker Punch/Knock Off/Protect/Calm Mind/Flamethrower

You can't deny Absol got a good special movepool he got all the moves a special attacker needs he can go mixed ot can go all out special attacker 115 sp.attack and the obvious physical set might set you a surprising kill almost every game (at least it should).
    Dark Pulse is a STAB dark move, strongest special move absol learns with 120 BP. Sucker Punch isn't as strong with this set up but you can use it against fast opponents the turn you mega evolve.
    The next 2 slots are saved for coverage.
    Ice Beam deals mostly with Donphan,Flygon,Hydreigon,Nidoking and Hippowdown besides being a good coverage move.
    Thunderbolt deals with bulky water types which otherwise wall you.
    Flamethrower beats those random steel types which you never know when you will meet one (but those aren't top in the UU usage)
    The last slot is more situational you can go mixed so you have a good move to be a wall breaker,pick Calm Mind(your only special attack boosting move). Protect like before can be used though not recomended, or you can run 4 special attacks set for best coverage.
    Flamethrower can be replaced with Fire Blast if desired Absol needs to deal the most damage he cans cause if it doesn't 2HKO he dies for sure.

Other Options (overall)
    Knock Off is your strongest dark STAB against none mega pokemons but it isn't compatible with Play Rough which makes it inferior to Night Slash.
    Superpower- Dark/fighting coverage isn't as it's used to be it's walled by the most used UU pokemon= florges you can use it but I don't see how to fit it into the physical set.
    Psycho Cut-offers no additional coverage over Play Rough don't use it (yeah even if it crits..criting isn't somethinmg you need to rely on specially on something as frail and slow as absol(talking about normal absol)
    Stone Edge-critting sets are unrealiable better get Life Orb or absolite it doesn't offer better coverage than fairy/dark Night slash.
    Rock Slide- You can use the flinch chance on mega absole but you don't really ned the coverage it brings.
    Substitute- ease prediction but it's a terrible move on megas since they don't have access to leftovers so you can only make 1 sub if you are lucky and maximum of 4 subs overall, you are immune to status with Magic Bounce anyway so it's kinda useless.
    Last edited by Ilan; 9th July 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by dragontamer44722 View Post
    One big problem it has is that it doesn't get a move that is a surefire counter to the new Fairies, so that is something it has to maneuver around very carefully.
    B2W2 gives it Iron Tail as a tutor. It won't get past the 2 Huge Power fairies though....

An Absol that isn't holding the Absolite is hard to come across. It's completely UU in the main game and battle competitions, since Hoenn it has only been used by Sidney and Grimsley of the Elite 4 which is pretty shocking considering it has base 130 attack. That considered it's defences and speed are pretty dismal. Base 60 Defence and Sp. Defence means that a Aura Sphere, Moonblast or X-Scissor is going to take Absol out for the count. Only trainers who are very brave will try and use this one. Absol is primarily an attacking Pokémon but it can learn Perish Song, Me First, Snatch and Taunt.

Positives:

130 base attack will will leave more than a scratch on any opponent.
    Its movepool is vast with moves including: Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Perish Song, Me First, Sucker Punch, Megahorn and Play Rough
    Its ability 'Super Luck' can be combined with four moves with a high critical hit ratio including Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Stone Edge and Shadow Claw

Negatives:

Being a Dark type it's S.T.A.B. attacks are super effective on Psychic and Ghost, two types which are not common.
    Its defensive stats are 65/60/60.
    Its speed is an ok 75 but many Pokémon including Garchomp, Mewtwo and Infernape outspeed it and with it's defensive stats it will just be knocked out before it cannot make a move.
    Dark is weak to three types including the common Fighting and Fairy types.

Abilities

Pressure - Increases the PP usage of the opponent, Absol won't be in battle long enough to benefit from this ability.

Super Luck - Increases the critical hit ratio of attacks - Absol can make this work especially as it can learn Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Stone Edge and Shadow Claw. If Absol has this ability and holds the Scope Lens or the Razor Claw a critical hit is almost guaranteed.

Justified - Raises attack when hit by a Dark types attack, Absol resists Dark attacks but in a double battle this could work with a Weavile using Beat Up to raise Absol's Attack stat by 6 levels - this is pretty devastating.

Stats

HP - 65, not much to see here but it is more than Ageislash.
    Attack - 130, Absol's pride and joy, Absol is a physical attacker primarily.
    Defence - 60, A Play Rough from Mega Mawile is putting Absol to sleep.
    Sp. Attack - 75, This stat is pretty decent but there's no point running Absol with special attacks considering its Attack stat.
    Sp. Defence - 60, This is poor, a strong neutral attack could OHKO Absol.
    Speed - 75, This stat lets Absol down. It hits hard but not fast.

Absolute Power

-Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Stone Edge
    -Shadow Claw / Play Rough / Megahorn
    Item Attached: Scope Lens / Assault Vest
    Ability: Super Luck
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)

The purpose of this combination is to make the probability of critical hit as high as possible. Shadow Claw has the high critical hit ratio but it is super effective on the same things that Night Slash is so you could choose either Megahorn or Play Rough because they are strong moves. When distributing EVs I invested as much as possible into Absol's speed to try and put it to par with Mew / Celebii / Jirichi so Absol can actually make a move before fainting.

Sigh... Mega Absol is rarely used correctly it seems. It's Magic Bounce ability makes it capable of easy Sucker Punch spamming and it patches up the speed issue it has the turn it mega evolves and if the opponent doesn't attack it, Magic Bounce prevents the status move from working unless it's a buff move like Swords Dance. Mega Absol is best as a mixed attacker since it's walled too easily on either side and it NEEDS to one shot everything or it dies from it's frailty.

Positives:
    + Wide move pool makes prediction tough
    + 115 Base speed with 150/115 offenses is awesome-sauce
    + Magic Bounce eases Sucker Punch predictions a bit, and makes for a decent switch in on a predicted Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Thunder Wave etc.
    + One of the most badass looking mega evolutions
    + Benefits from Steel nerf with its great Dark STAB options

Negatives:
    - 75 Base speed pre-mega means that you must have some way to stick around the turn you mega evolve, meaning you must have either Protect, or Sucker Punch.
    - The defenses are awful, 65/60/60 is paper thin making it difficult to mega evolve. It also means that every attack counts, since it just might be M-Absol's last.
    - Bad or mostly useless pre-mega abilities. Absol could have gotten Intimidate, or something better than any of its three abilities, but alas, it should stick with Justified since with it, you could get an attack boost at the very least on a predicted Dark move.
    - Despite the Steel nerf, Dark doesn't hit much on its own and M-Absol would have really benefitted from a type addition for more STAB (I really wanted it to become Dark/Fairy) options.
    - M-Absol has 4 Move Slot Syndome bad.
    - Lacks item due to being forced to hold Absolite.

Berlin Wall Breaker
    Absol@Absolite
    Justified (it's the only ability that can help pre mega since you will never keep it regular for more than one turn) ---> Magic Bounce
    Naive
    252 Speed/ 252 Atk/ 4 Sp.Atk
    Sucker Punch
    Play Rough
    Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
    Ice Beam

Sucker Punch because you absolutely NEED priority for at least the turn you mega evolve and can let you score a KO on Pokemon who think they can outspeed and KO you only to get punished by a STAB 80 BP move coming from M- Absol's ridiculous 150 base Attack stat. Play Rough covers Fighting, Dragon and other Dark types really nicely and you can't go wrong with base 90 power. Fire Blast/ Flamethrower helps get rid of the bulky steels like Ferrothorn and Skarmory and helps ease prediction against Aegislash. Ice Beam destroys bulky ground types like Hippowdon, Gliscor and Landorous and lets you easily take down Garchomp without needlessly taking Rough Skin damage. EVs maximise Speed, but you could split between offenses to reach certain KOs more easily. I didn't do research behind the EVs, but you could tweak them to achieve certain OHKOs against stuff like Togekiss or Garchomp more easily, but max speed is a must.

Other Options:
    Night Slash- It's a little on the weak side and packs no priority, but has higher PP and requires less prediction.
    Protect- Keeps you safe the turn you mega-evolve, but useless past that.
    Substitute- It's easy to set up if you can predict right, but it doesn't help too much.
    Superpower- Is outclassed by all of Absol's other options hitting only two more types than what is covered by Fairy/Fire which are Normal and Rock. The only thing of note you hit are Chansey and Blissey, and the Attack and Defense drop are bad. I don't recommend Superpower.
    Psycho Cut - Weak. Don't use. Play Rough is leagues better. The only relevant thing it hits is M-Venusaur.
    Stone Edge - Inaccurate, but fine on an all physical set... Maybe... Probably not... Hits Flying types? (Which Ice Beam already covers anyway...)
    Rock Slide - Less powerful, more accurate, flinch chance. See above.
    Baton Pass - Actually not too bad with Magic Bounce, Swords Dance, Calm Mind, Substitute, Hone Claws, and Agility all in its move pool. Good for a more supportive set and needs little offensive investment with its 150/115 base offenses.
    Will-O-Wisp - Can be useful to help soften blows against certain things, but Absol's pitiful 65/60/60 defenses means that it really should be attacking more and crippling less and Absol already has 4 move slot syndrome bad.
    Me First - Is actually an option due to Absol's high speed and great mixed offenses, but is unreliable and you could end up using Sacred Sword on Aegislash while hoping for the Shadow Sneak (lol).
    Megahorn/X-Scissor - Offers you redundant coverage.
    Quick Attack - Absol's only other priority, but it's weak, and hits nothing super effectively.
    Zen Headbutt - See Psycho Cut.
    Thunderbolt/Thunder - Not bad, but it doesn't cover to much more its other moves don't already, but it does hit water types decently, namely Azumarill.
    Pursuit - Nice, but doesn't have the slot for it since it NEEDS its coverage moves.
    Knock Off - Better than Night Slash, so if you really don't want Sucker Punch for some reason, use this.
    Iron Tail - It hits Fairies, but its accuracy is really shaky and it really won't do that much to Azumarill, Klefki, or M-Mawile and past Fairy, the coverage is negligible.

Moves you shouldn't use that are probably going to be suggested anyway and you should feel bad if you actually use them
    Shadow Ball - Same coverage as Dark, only with no STAB.
    Shadow Claw - See Shadow Ball.
    Razor Wind - Razor Wind... Lol.
    Future Sight - Cause M-Absol will totes live the turns required to pull it off.
    Giga Impact/Hyper Beam - Lol. No.
    If you like this, see this and much more at...

http://superartninja.deviantart.com/# - Deviant Art Profile

Azumarill and Mawhile are at OU and besides you are not looking to beat them and klefki is BL.

Just realized absol LEARNS KNOCK OFF! so any night slash should be replaced with Knock off since it does more damage to anything bar megas and have utility .
    The most common fairy in UU:
    +2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 328-387 (91.1 - 107.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (it's a 2HKO without a boost)

so you need only a layer of SR to kill it nothing too serious to replace swords dance with a bad move like iron tail for suppously fairy types..

BTW neutral speed nature mega absol outspeeds base 100 speed pokemons by 1 point since UU is so mostly slow you won't be outspeeding much with jolly so adamant is a better nature for him.
    only real things you lose to are Inferanape and Galvantula which have a SE move on you so you shouldn't stay on them and if you are to outspeed them:
    252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 145-171 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Galvantula: 178-211 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(galvantla's are leads) KO with SR if they don't lead with galvantula.
    If you don't 0HKO against them so if they lead with them you are screwed with adamant you have a 12.5% chance to 0HKO a galvantula with sucker punch so only a bit of previous damage is required.

so if outspeeding those 2 doesn't matter to you then don't run Jolly.on the top 50 of UU you only outpeed those 2 and raikou with jolly>adamant and you speed tie with azelef but azelef can't touch you thx to magic bounce + sucker punch.
    Last edited by Ilan; 7th July 2014 at 9:33 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    BTW neutral speed nature mega absol outspeeds base 100 speed pokemons by 1 point since UU is so mostly slow you won't be outspeeding much with jolly so adamant is a better nature for him.
    Though it means Infernape and Mienshao will be able to check Mega Absol much more easily, given they would outspeed and 1HKO, and neither is 1HKO'd by a +2 Sucker Punch (although it can come semi-close on Mienshao, so a little prior damage can push it over the edge). Adamant works better for the bulk of Pokemon in UU, but Jolly does have niche merits as well, given both Infernape and Mienshao are relatively common in UU (#4 and #16 in overall usage, and #8 and #15 at the 1760 level). And of course, this is assuming they're unscarfed, since Scarf Infernape and Mienshao are pretty common, with 1/4 - 1/3 of all Infernape using it, and 30-60% of all Mienshao using it (with the fluctuations depending on what part of the ladder you're looking at vs. overall) and Scarfed fighting types would outspeed regardless of Jolly nature. So Jolly's niche is relatively small.

That said, you've got 5 other teammates, and if you can make sure the fast fighting types are accounted for, Adamant's extra power in UU will serve you well, especially since all of the other Pokemon in UU faster than Adamant Mega Absol (Aerodactyl, Alakazam, Azelf, Crobat, Galvantula, Raikou, Starmie, Tornadus-T) are cleanly 1HKO'd by +2 Sucker Punch.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 7th July 2014 at 9:57 PM.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Azumarill and Mawhile are at OU and besides you are not looking to beat them and klefki is BL.

Just realized absol LEARNS KNOCK OFF! so any night slash should be replaced with Knock off since it does more damage to anything bar megas and have utility .
    The most common fairy in UU:
    +2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 328-387 (91.1 - 107.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (it's a 2HKO without a boost)

so you need only a layer of SR to kill it nothing too serious to replace swords dance with a bad move like iron tail for suppously fairy types..

only real things you lose to are Inferanape and Galvantula which have a SE move on you so you shouldn't stay on them and if you are to outspeed them:
    252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 145-171 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Galvantula: 178-211 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(galvantla's are leads) KO with SR if they don't lead with galvantula.
    If you don't 0HKO against them so if they lead with them you are screwed with adamant you have a 12.5% chance to 0HKO a galvantula with sucker punch so only a bit of previous damage is required.

so if outspeeding those 2 doesn't matter to you then don't run Jolly.on the top 50 of UU you only outpeed those 2 and raikou with jolly>adamant and you speed tie with azelef but azelef can't touch you thx to magic bounce + sucker punch.
    I don't see why one can't play up with Mega Absol at all, so I was taking those Pokemon into account. Also, Knock Off and Play Rough are illegal since Knock Off is a BW2 tutor move... Knock Off is nice, but Play Rough is worth more since you have Sucker Punch. I was looking at M-Absol in OU, not UU, and I only mentioned those Fairies under Iron Tail, which, you shouldn't run simply because you miss Play Rough if you run Iron Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperArtNinja View Post
    I don't see why one can't play up with Mega Absol at all, so I was taking those Pokemon into account. Also, Knock Off and Play Rough are illegal since Knock Off is a BW2 tutor move... Knock Off is nice, but Play Rough is worth more since you have Sucker Punch. I was looking at M-Absol in OU, not UU, and I only mentioned those Fairies under Iron Tail, which, you shouldn't run simply because you miss Play Rough if you run Iron Tail.

Ate you sure they are illegal togheter? Maybe you can breed both with the new breedingmechanics since I checked now and smogon states them togheter

Ate you sure they are illegal togheter? Maybe you can breed both with the new breedingmechanics since I checked now and smogon states them togheter
    Knock Off is only available as a move tutor move, and Play Rough is an egg move. There is no current breeding mechanic that would allow you to breed both onto an Absol. Also, where has Smogon said that the two can be used together? Absol's UU analysis specific states that Knock Off cannot be used alongside Play Rough. While its OU analysis doesn't explicitly say the same thing, it still lists Night Slash and Play Rough as secondary slashes on the Swords Dance set primarily for the reason that you have to use Night Slash over Knock Off if you want to use a more reliable Dark-type STAB alongside Play Rough.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Knock Off is only available as a move tutor move, and Play Rough is an egg move. There is no current breeding mechanic that would allow you to breed both onto an Absol. Also, where has Smogon said that the two can be used together? Absol's UU analysis specific states that Knock Off cannot be used alongside Play Rough. While its OU analysis doesn't explicitly say the same thing, it still lists Night Slash and Play Rough as secondary slashes on the Swords Dance set primarily for the reason that you have to use Night Slash over Knock Off if you want to use a more reliable Dark-type STAB alongside Play Rough.
    When you go to showdown damage calculator and press on "usage" option both moves are put togheter..

Well play rough gives too much coverage to give on it on a full physical set :/.

Really? Because when I select the "usage" set for Mega Absol, it comes up Sucker Punch / (No Move) / Knock Off / Superpower. Regardless, it's not a legal combination, and Pokemon Showdown! will tell you this if you try to start an OU battle with a Knock Off + Play Rough Absol. If ORAS gives us a Knock Off tutor, then Play Rough + Knock Off will probably become the new standard since Play Rough is just such a good coverage move, but for the time being you'll have to settle for Superpower or use Night Slash + Play Rough.

Sadly, they are in fact illegal since Knock Off isn't an egg move. Besides, I think Sucker Punch is more needed since Absol is so vulnerable the turn it Mega Evolves, so it serves as a deterrent to either attacking or statusing it (due to Magic Bounce).

That's what makes M-Absol dangerous. If you predict wrongly, it could either hit you hard, set up, or you status yourself thinking it will switch. The Absol player on the other hand, can go for the Sucker Punch and if it fails, you still have a Mega Absol, if it hits, you just really damaged whatever it was (Although if you don't KO, you might be out one Mega Absol, but you shouldn't bring it in to Mega Evolve on something it can't at least 2HKO anyway), especially if you brought it in on a dark type move and activate Justified.

The only good thing about mega absol is it's ability.....I've used M-absol against darkrais in free battles, and it's really the only time I've seen or used it effectively. Every other time I've faced it or used it it just died really fast so if you want to block dark voids I guess.....but do u really want to use ur mega on absol?
    12/18/14 the day mega rayquaza was defeated by my shuckle spamming knockoff after being neutered with power split.
    Shuckle. So underrated, very evil and loves to cripple everything you have