Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #040

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    It's because people just generally prefer no skill over requiring a lot of it. If you could run your entire life off of pressing just two buttons over say having to lift 30Lbs of weight for 6 hours a day, you'd always choose that option. It's the same thing with pokemon, as wins (no matter how easy, unearned, and devoid of skill they are to get) are still wins.
    I agree but there is no fun in those wins. I don't battle to win, I battle to have fun.

Anyways...we should get back on topic before mods get here

FC: 2294-4517-3671 (IGN: Alen)
    STOP BY MY SUPER-SECRET BASE FOR A DRINK OR TWO
    Psychic friend safari:

Pokegym League gym badges earned:
    Astral-Shadow and The-Under for the frontier userbar
    and Turpoo for the battle reef userbar
    and Azulart for the gym badges

Quagsire
    Rocky Helmet
    Unaware
    Bold
    252HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.D
    -Infestation
    -Toxic
    -Recover
    -Encore

This set is so much better than it looks, I can attest to that. It has the answer to so many popular strategies. The EVs make you as reasonably bulky as Quag can expect to be, especially with Recover. The reasoning here is that hitting Quag physically is always going to be a losing battle - max physical bulk investment + Rocky Helmet. So, naturally, your opponent is going to want to switch. Thanks to Infestation, they can't. You can then Toxic or Encore them. You do not need me to explain just how effective this can be. You can trap on expected switches, Encore as they set up expecting you to switch out, or just force your opponent to switch out repeatedly with Toxic and Encore, no Infestation attached. You can hinder Sweepers, break walls(Encore to stop recovery moves on their part) and just give yourself a few free turns to put the kettle on and relax or something. You can force the battle to go your way, if you play cleverly.

There is a variant of this set that uses Yawn over Toxic. I use this variant to stop Sweepers dead. Yawn works so well with Infestation. If you Yawn and then use Infestation, you've got a pin on a potential switch-in - or you've trapped the sleepyhead. If you use Infestation and then Yawn, you can force your opponent to panic or completely revamp their game plan as they realise that they are on borrowed time. Don't forget Encore to force constant Dragon Dances or the like, and Recover remains pretty self-explanatory. While my opponent is in either a Yawn or Encore trap, unable to switch, I like to take the opportunity to start Dragon Dancing with Mega Charizard X myself... and the rest, as they say, is history.
    I can understand it if you are dubious, and there is no denying that this set is quite against the norm, but trust me, it works a treat. I may be new to this particular forum, but not to Pokemon and Smogon. Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer whenever I can(which won't be tomorrow, sorry about that).

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    It's because people just generally prefer no skill over requiring a lot of it. If you could run your entire life off of pressing just two buttons over say having to lift 30Lbs of weight for 6 hours a day, you'd always choose that option. It's the same thing with pokemon, as wins (no matter how easy, unearned, and devoid of skill they are to get) are still wins.
    Just because stall effortlessly beats you does not mean it doesn't require skill. At higher level play stall requires as much if not more forward thinking than all the other playstyles. You need to plan ahead and conserve your Pokemon's HP with extreme care, as even a few % HP worth of damage is enough to let a sweeper steamroll you. Stall has the advantage of wrecking newer players and teams with limited wall breaking ability so it is a common misconception that stall is mindless when in reality it is only mindless against bad players.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
    Ability: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Scald
    - Earthquake
    - Recover
    - Toxic / Ice Beam / Haze

This is pretty much the only set Quagsire ever runs and for good reason. It hard counters the vast majority of setup sweepers. In theory Charizard X can 2HKO it with Outrage but in practice most of them just run Dragon Claw. Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados and Excadrill also beats it but otherwise Quagsire just doesn't care about most setup. Scald is the primary move and dicks over pretty much everything 30% of the time. Earthquake is a decent STAB move that breaks down Charizard. Recover keeps you alive. Toxic beats things you can't easily KO like bulky WoW Charizard X and Gyarados. Ice Beam slams Garchomp and Haze is good against Baton Pass, and helps with PP stalling certain sub sweepers that Quagsire can't actually KO (like Sub Gyarados).

You can also run like, a Curse set with Curse / Recover / Earthquake / Ice Punch which can pretty easily sweep once all the opposing Special Attackers (and anything with Toxic) is dead but it isn't as reliable.

Ok, so, after looking at all the different sets everyone is using, I've noticed a lack of Trick Room sets, so that's what I'm going to do. Anyway, here we go:

Quagsire (Trick Room team)
    Ability: Unaware
    Nature: Brave (+ attack, - speed) Also, IV's in speed should be 0
    Moves:
    Waterfall
    Earthquake
    Curse
    Amnesia
    EV's: 252 attack, 252 hp, 4 special defense
    Item: Leftovers
    Ok, this is a sample Trick Room Quagsire. Brave nature to boost attack, which it needs, while lowering speed, which, on a Trick Room team, makes it effective. Unaware is the ability since it ignores opponents speed lowering, making sure Quagsire moves first. For moves, Waterfall and Earthquake for stab, Curse to boost attack and defense while lowering speed, making it even more bulky, and more effective in the Trick Room, and Amnesia to boost it's special defense high enough to tank an Energy Ball, though 3 would be required to tank a Solar Beam, I believe. For EV spread, max attack and hp to give it the bulk it needs to survive without the Trick Room and to set up. The last 4 EV's go to special defense since Grass type attacks are mostly special based. Leftovers are the item so that it can recover from setting up. Anyway, hope you all enjoyed this little set!

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Now, can we please stop arguing about Smogon tiers and whether or not we should use them? It's ultimately pointless and only serves to encourage the divide between Smogon and Serebii as if there's actually any real competition between the sites.
    I agree with all my hearth.I just said that we should mention the existance of swagger clause in a certain competitive circle nothing more. I play by smogon but i dont force it on people at wifi battles, i just choose to not play with them anymore no arguments needed.

Back to quaggy we really need to mention that despite unaware some CB and LO physical attackers with 110 base attack and 80-100 base power neutral stab move can 2ohko him in the switch. And given his role and speed he hates hazards on his side of the field for that very reason. I honestly have no idea of quaggy capabilities on doubles anyone got some insigth on this?

Also stop the hate in stall its actually a good playstyle. Probably one of the hardest to achieve in this gen if you ask me.
    Last edited by Disaster_Lord; 29th July 2014 at 8:17 PM.
    Who said moe cant be Gar?

Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664
    Poison safari : Muk Cascoon Venomoth

I HATE the Hoenn region and its winguls with a passion that can burn steel beams. But i love move tutors, Lets see how this goes...

A set with unaware, curse, amnesia, recover, and a physical move (rock slide or waterfall) could work as a gimmick, as unless the opponent has toxic, whirlwind/dragon tail, or gets crit-lucky you could slowly get to +6 in each defensive stat without worry of being set up alongside.
    ~Currently own all gen 6 games (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen UU record: 55W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, non-OU tier supporter, speed-breeder, and steam enthusiast.
        Spoiler:- Current Gen 6 shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster_Lord View Post
    I honestly have no idea of quaggy capabilities on doubles anyone got some insigth on this?
    Also stop the hate in stall its actually a good playstyle. Probably one of the hardest to achieve in this gen if you ask me.
    Quagsire should have a harder time in doubles. Due to the more offensive nature of doubles, it is very easy for opponents to focus fire on Quagsire, which is extremely rough given that Quagsire's defenses are not the greatest. On the other hand Quagsire can suck up multi target moves quite a bit better due to the noticeable drop in power that occurs (though Rock Slide, Lava Plume and Discharge are the only common multi target moves it resists). In my opinion Quagsire can function in doubles, but it needs a lot more support to be as effective as it is in singles.
    I agree: a defensive strategy is much harder to pull off than a offensive strategy, but it is beautiful when it works.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

you could run this thing in doubles with water absorb. Your partner would just have to use surf to restore your health. This might catch an opponent off guard but It would not any real harm. Stick to unaware.

Ok. I'm a little new at this so bear with me. I don't know too much about Quagsire but I think a Charizard Y would either A. check him or B. counter him completely. I say this because of his access to solar beam with drought. Drought weakens scald and Charizard is completely immune to earthquake. He is also easily faster than Quaggy and can easily get in on a predicted earthquake. Sorry if I spoke out of turn but I always wanted to do this.

~I made this all by myself. Ya me!~

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Cal View Post
    Ok. I'm a little new at this so bear with me. I don't know too much about Quagsire but I think a Charizard Y would either A. check him or B. counter him completely. I say this because of his access to solar beam with drought. Drought weakens scald and Charizard is completely immune to earthquake. He is also easily faster than Quaggy and can easily get in on a predicted earthquake. Sorry if I spoke out of turn but I always wanted to do this.
    This is technically correct. Charizard Y will force out Quagsire over and over. It won't like switching in on Toxic but if Quagsire decides to stand and fight Charizard will quickly demolish it.

Quote Originally Posted by What does the Dephox say? View Post
    This is technically correct. Charizard Y will force out Quagsire over and over. It won't like switching in on Toxic but if Quagsire decides to stand and fight Charizard will quickly demolish it.
    Yeah, Quagsire could not stand a chance against CharYzard even with 252 HP and sp def with sassy and assault vest
    252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Quagsire: 384-452 (97.4 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Psychic friend safari:

Quote Originally Posted by venom1950 View Post
    Yeah, Quagsire could not stand a chance against CharYzard even with 252 HP and sp def with sassy and assault vest
    252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Quagsire: 384-452 (97.4 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
    That and there isn't much Quagsire could do to it if it does survive the Solarbeam. Water is powered down, ground moves won't hit it, and most sets you see aren't going to run a rock type move.

///

Pokegym Credit: Azulart (gym badge),FairyWitch (Userbar)
    Trinity Credit: AstralShadow (personal banner and trade shop button) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & Sworn Metalhead (symbol)

Quote Originally Posted by dragontamer44722 View Post
    That and there isn't much Quagsire could do to it if it does survive the Solarbeam. Water is powered down, ground moves won't hit it, and most sets you see aren't going to run a rock type move.
    Well, MegaZard Y doesn't like being Toxic'ed on the switch, but that's about it. Quagsire's Scald is only going to do about 56% at max on the switch prior to Mega Evolving, due to not ever really investing in SpA, and once Zard Mega Evolves and Drought kicks in, Scald only does about a paltry 20% max.

Like any Water type, Scald spamming can be annoying to switch-ins, as most things don't like the 30% hax burns. Things like (Mega) Venusaur and Ferrothorn can switch into basically anything Quagsire can throw at them and force it out or 1HKO it if for some odd reason it chooses to stay in, but a burn from Scald can be a nuisance to them, especially Ferro. Since virtually every Quagsire is physically defensive, strong Special Attackers can force it out as well; for instance, in addition to the aforementioned Mega Charizard Y, Specs Keldeo can 1HKO with Hydro Pump, but Toxic or a Scald Burn can be an annoyance to it (don't mention Water Absorb, Unaware is what makes Quagsire usable in OU. Just... don't mention Water Absorb).
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 1st August 2014 at 1:59 AM.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

This is going to be a short pokemon of the week unless we do an huricane of puns a la Delphox(Dont go that way). Or mention Swagsire as a joke set.
    Last edited by Disaster_Lord; 2nd August 2014 at 4:11 AM.
    Who said moe cant be Gar?

Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664
    Poison safari : Muk Cascoon Venomoth

I HATE the Hoenn region and its winguls with a passion that can burn steel beams. But i love move tutors, Lets see how this goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster_Lord View Post
    This is going to be a short pokemon of the week unless we do an huricane of puns a la Delphox(Dont go that way). Or mention Swagsire as a joke set.
    no no no please no more delphox "jokes"! PLEASE! they are bad,like,really really bad and unfunny

Psychic friend safari:

Wooper lc set
    ability unaware
    item evolite
    Waterfall/aqua tail
    Earthquake
    Recover
    toxic/ice punch

wooper is ok in little cup. Though how i can use ice punch i have no idea.

wooper actually sound crazy for LC. ground/water makes it really reliable with it's 45 def 55 HP and it has a decent 45 att

Psychic friend safari:

Quote Originally Posted by venom1950 View Post
    wooper actually sound crazy for LC. ground/water makes it really reliable with it's 45 def 55 HP and it has a decent 45 att
    plus for a lc pokemon i'd say two good abilities in unaware & water absorb. (and damp is ok i guess)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12