Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you do shipping?

Default Why do you do shipping?

OK, here's a question I've been wanting to ask for a long, long time.
    Shippers, why do you ship?
    Personally, I see no reason to, so I'm very interested about this.
    Here's a reminder that a move called "Spike Cannon" exists.

Although I myself am not a shipper, I love to read about and discuss ships! And it's for the same reason you would ever go and discuss anything from the show! When you love a character so much all you want to do is talk about them, discuss their strengths, weaknesses, friends, best moments, worst moments... the list goes on!

So you start wanting to talk about many things, including their futures. Where would they be if they were aged 10 years? Who would they be dating? Would they be a master yet?

Shipping is something non-cannon to the show, and so it allows all the fans of the show to develop and engross themselves even deeper into characters they love. You could do it in many directions too, instead of a relationship direction, but that tends to me considered fan fiction.

In the end, when you see two characters have a spark on screen, it is incredibly fun to imagine that spark igniting into something much bigger. It even becomes fun to create a spark between two characters that never met in the show! This all just allows the fans to have a part to the show to themselves. Something they can develop, expand upon, or even prove! And all of it is just fun.
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

Just for fun... that's the thing. Sometimes to discuss the chemistry and interactions, but mostly for fun.

Because it's fun to imagine your favorite characters being together.

See, it just adds more to the value and fun of the show if that made sense. You can also find some great people shipping the same ships as you.

So basically it's just a way to have fun, make new friends, and expand your imagination.

I just do it for fun, I enjoy the idea of two characters forming a relationship, creating headcannons and stories and art and the whole shebang. And then being able to talk to other people who share your ships, share ideas and headcannons and stories and art. It's not serious or anything, purely just something for me to look at or think about and make me happy. I really hate some of those people what will literally get into arguments with people about paring up two fictional characters. Sure you can have ships you don't like or even despise [even I have a few] but the people that let it ruin friendships are ridiculous [if you don't like it just ignore it]. It's supposed to be all in good lighthearted fun, makes for some interesting fanart and stories. I also do a lot of role playing on Tumblr, it's kinda my main creative outlet right now, and shipping is just another pice to the whole puzzle of fun.
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 9th August 2014 at 12:04 AM.

I feel this is better off in the Alternative Shipping threads for shippers who don't ship in the Pokemon Fandom so I'm moving it.

Anyways, I just do it for fun. That's really the whole point of shipping two characters together, to be honest. I've always been a fan of relationships and if I like the two characters as a couple, I'm going to ship them together. That's what it really comes down to.

It's fun forming theories about characters' futures, mostly who'd they date or maybe end up marrying! Like Ash for example. He had a love/hate relationship with Misty, kept something that gave him a memory of May for years, treated Dawn differently from other girls, was very different from Iris, and had a past with Serena. All of these things can make a good relationship. Plus fictional couples are better than real ones (unless you mean YouTuber ships)
    Need to complete the Pokedex!

Anna the Pokémon Breeder and hopefully future Coordinator

Planned ORAS Team:

I... there's no real "why" with me; it just happens. Sometimes I just feel it with characters' interactions. And then I start thinking about it all the time. And then... I seriously internalize the characters and get really emotionally involved. ...It's kind of neurotic, but what can you do? Well, there are good things and bad things about it... sometimes there are more good things, and sometimes more bad things, depending on my mood.
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (Interlude 3 Now Up!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

Kutie Pie is offline 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic and have no love life, so I typically will ship in almost any fandom I get into. I more-or-less go for canon pairings, but occasionally I'll go for pairings I just think are adorable/have potential regardless of canon. Guess it's just the idea of exploring a relationship is why I ship, but like everyone else said, it's for fun. There's nothing really more to it than that, I suppose.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2016 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

I do it for fun, that's what it really comes down to for most of us. I've always been a hopeless romantic and probably will be single for the rest of my life so that's why I do ship in a lot of the fandoms that I'm a part of.

Tumblr | Matt's Secret Base | Author's Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 4871-6086-4217

I ship the ships I ship because I see a certian spark between the show. Admittly sometimes my imagination goes little to far with it.
    Pokémon ships I am most into.
    Firm ships poke,handyman,and contest.

Loose ships, Paul x Dawn x Zoey,Paul x Dawn, Dawn x Zoey, and Clemont x Serena

Platonically flirt ships Delia x Oak and Delia x Brock.

Favorite friendship ship
    Misty x May

Quote Originally Posted by majormanafemale View Post
    I ship the ships I ship because I see a certian spark between the show. Admittly sometimes my imagination goes little to far with it.
    Agreed. With ships like KrazyShipping and DiodeShipping, I can turn almost any interaction between two characters as shipping. Sometimes it's a bit upsetting the way I think.
    Need to complete the Pokedex!

Anna the Pokémon Breeder and hopefully future Coordinator

Planned ORAS Team:

I just love speculating on how certain characters interact, or even just enjoy watching them interact. Characters interacting is what really drives a good show, and shipping is a form of that. Sometimes I even "ship" platonic pairs just because it's fun to see them bounce off each other.

there is only answer for this one, we ship pairs for fun since we feel that their character might be interesting to see ( for some of us)
    Well done and unexpectedly, Kumiko and Shuichi gets together at the end of the novel. Childhood friends are really trends huh

They're the same
        Spoiler:- nothing here:

There's nothing to see here

I ship this I ship this because is totally canon. But for straight sake I only ship OTP only. I am basically a fujoshi. So, I ship yaoi ships whatever the ships.
    It's not Shingan crimsonz, but SHINGAYCRIMSONZ

Compared to the other fandoms I'm a part of, shipping in Pokemon has the most fun. I mean, yes, you still get ship wars and ship bashing from time to time, but I feel like it's a lot more flexible. Plus, you don't see as many characters being shipped around as you do in Pokemon, so you always see a variety of ships no matter how small they are (at least, imo).

But generally speaking, I think shipping is fun and I'm a sucker for romance. Platonic bonding is also a plus! It's nice to see people being creative and creating stories where two characters could have some sort of connection if they were to meet in a canon setting.

.: credit :.
    I love these skeleton brothers and their relationship. I am not sorry.

Maybe because of all the characters you can pair together, but I mostly ships things because it has my favourite character, like Golden Sun's PureTortureShipping (MistShipping), or they look cute together. (Again GS' PureTortureShipping)

I never really thought about it because it is pretty subconscious to me, really. I've always though certain characters look cute or work well enough to be a couple. So I've been shipping my whole life sort of, I've just never called it that. I only do now because it is the easiest way to describe it. When two characters interacting just makes me "Squee!" they're shipped. :3

Shipping, in all honesty, is quite possibly my main guilty pleasure! I'm obviously one of those "suckers for romance", at least fanfiction-wise. I like seeing my favorite characters paired up, especially when I personally feel that two characters are compatible. I can't really explain it. I'm a huge shipper and it's even more fun than pigging out on junk food, soda and all kinds of other things

Credit to Satomine Night for this banner. <3

For me, I think it's instinct. It gives me ideas for my fan fics and talking about ships has introduced me to new communities and new friends and also life line pals.

Shipping is such a permanent thing for me. I started shipping stuff back at the mid 2000s. Its also the reason I started to draw to much couples in fanarts. *coughpokemoncough*
    「M O N S T R O C K E R 」
    ► Monstrocker's shipping list
    ► DEVIANTART

I ships often just for fun(sometimes just for lulz if I ships my least favorite characters)

Shipping is just for pleasure/fun reasons. Really, anything close to romantic subplots to consider/dream/watch makes any story interesting for me. There's a reason why romance in general is well-sold in media, even if Pokémon in specific is geared towards action and this is a children's themed show of course.

It's pretty fun to ship, especially when you don't have a lot else in life to be obsessed about.

Shipping is actually a genuine fun thing to don't. I do believe it can fill in the void in many people's lives sometimes. It's definitely very interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast