Thread: Community POTW #042

Default Community POTW #042

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and once again we have an absolute classic

This week, we have Nidoking, the fantastic early Poison/Ground-type. It is capable of sweeping and being generally awesome

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/034.shtml

Go nuts

First.

--------

Nidoking @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Speed
    Timid/Modest Nature
    - Sludge Wave
    - Earth Power
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Fire Blast

The typical SheerOrb set, Sludge Wave and Earth Power are you mandatory STAB where Ice Beam deals with Dragons. Last slot is open to BoltBeam coverage or Flamethrower/Fire Blast for Steel types not named Heatran. cos' Earth Power

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

While most Nidoking use a special set, we can't just forget about Nidoking's physical movepool. While it's a bit shallow compared to his special movepool, he can still rock it quite well.
    Nidoking @ Life Orb
    - Poison Jab
    - Bulldoze / Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Sucker Punch
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly (+Spe, -SpA) nature

Poison Jab is a decently strong move, that gets boosted by Sheer Force. Very reliable STAB and deals with Grass types and Fairy types. The reason I say Bulldoze or Earthquake is because I'm not sure which becomes stronger :P Bulldoze gets boosted by Sheer Force + STAB, while Earthquake just gets boosted by STAB. I think Bulldoze is still weaker, but by using Bulldoze over Earthquake, you don't take Life Orb recoil. Either way, a Ground STAB move is a necessity for Nidoking, allowing him to take care of Steel, Rock, Electric, Fire, and opposing Poison types. Rock Slide gets boosted by Sheer Force, and is just a sliver under Stone Edge in base power, but is more reliable than Stone Edge in terms of accuracy and PP. It allows Nidoking to deal with the Flying and Bug types that resist it's Ground STAB, including the Ice types that threaten Nidoking. With a Ground and Rock move in his arsenal, he forms a pseudo-QuakeEdge combo, which hits the majority of Pokemon for neutral damage at the least, except for a select few such as Levitate Bronzong, Breloom, Chesnaught, Torterra, etc. (Which most of them lose to Poison Jab anyways) The last move is mainly for coverage. Fire Punch destroys Steel Pokemon that only take neutral damage from Nidoking's other attacks, like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Bronzong, while Ice Punch in return destroys Pokemon like Gliscor, Landorus-T, Dragonite, Garchomp, etc. Thunder Punch deals with bulky Water types such as Vaporeon, Gyarados, Milotic, etc. Sucker Punch does not get boosted by Sheer Force, but having priority moves helps any team revenge kill faster Pokemon, considering Nidoking's below-average speed stat.
    In-game name: Carl
    Friend Code: 3325-3523-8312
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Pancham / Mienfoo / Riolu

How am I supposed to expect the unexpected if expecting the unexpected turns the unexpected into the expected?

Since I am back to school, I have little to no time to visit the forums during the weekdays, but the weekends I am almost always available. I still accept breeding requests, but don't expect me to finish them quickly.

I have good memories of Nidoking. While its base stats may be “lackluster” they are definitely usable, and with a wide range of attack, plus early evolution methods means Nidoking has been a staple on many Kanto playthrough teams.

Nidoking requires Sheer Force to function in today’s competitive scene. And boy does it function. Nidoking has a movepool on par with a normal type’s especially in regards to TM learning, meaning it has no shortage of moves to exploit Sheer Force with. Unfortunately, Nidoking has a lot going against it. Its defenses are slightly below average; Combine this with 3/4 of its weaknesses being some of the most common attacking types in the game and Nidoking falls fast. Base 85 speed while good, is short of many threats, further hurting the poisonous king.

Royal Artillery
    Nidoking (Sheer Force)
    Item: Life Orb
    -Sludge Wave
    -Earth Power
    -Ice Beam/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    Nature: Modest (+SATK, -ATK)
    EVs: 252 SATK/252 SPD/4 HP

While Nidoking’s ATK is way higher, than its special, its special moveset is better equipped to exploit the LifeForce combo. Sludge Wave is an immensely powerful STAB having 180 power after Sheer Force and STAB. Earth Power is a great secondary STAB having wide coverage and stinging like hell. Your final move is up for preference: BoltBeam is a great neutral type combo, while Fire Blast offers a check against Steels not fazed by Earth Power.

Poisonous Tyrant
    Nidoking (Sheer Force)
    -Poison Jab
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Megahorn
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK)
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP

This set exploits Nidoking’s higher attack, but has a more difficult time exploiting the LifeForce combo. Poison Jab and Rock Slide can abuse it, but Nidoking loses its benefits when using Earthquake and Megahorn. Poison Jab is the strong neutral stab. Earthquake is Earthquake (bonus points for STAB). Rock Slide is Sheer Force exploitation and covers a lot of threats with Earthquake, and Megahorn is there to give Psychic types a bad day.

Other Options

-Shadow Ball/Surf/Dragon Pulse
    Alternative options on the special set, though Surf and Dragon Pulse don’t benefit from LifeForce

-Elemental Punches
    Great coverage and exploits LifeForce on the physical set but requires transfer

-Aqua Tail/Superpower/Outrage
    Further options on the physical set for coverage. No LifeForce. Transfer only.

-Super Fang
    A nasty surprise for anything that thinks it can wall you. Transfer only.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Oh yes, one of my favorites.

Special Force
    Nature: Timid
    EV: 252 Spd, 252 Sp. Att, 4 HP
    -Sludge Wave
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Earth Power
    Sheer Force apparently cancels life orb's recoil, making it the main item to use.
    All 4 moves get boosted. Sludge Wave murders Grass types and Fairies not named Mawile.
    Ice Beam takes out many Dragons, as well as Grass, Flying and Ground Types.
    Thunderbolt makes quick work of Flying types and Water types that are not part Ground.
    Earth Power takes care of Fairies named Mawile and Steel, Rock, Poison, and Fire types.
    Timid nature is in case you run into another Nidoking running this and hoping that you either beat the speed tie or that he is running Modest.
    Very good unless you run into a Water/Ground type or lose the speed tie.
    My FC is 3136-7747-4882.
    My Friend Safari is a Water type with , , and .

Nidoking. A classic case of "how do I evolve X to get it" in Gen I. Without a guide, not many knew a Moon Stone was the way to go. Cool Type combo and Physical Movepool give it some firepower. Let's go...

Stats:
    -HP - Good - Base 81 is a nice start. Gives you a decent chunk of health to stay in the game.
    -Attack - Great - Base 102 is pretty nice. Combined with that Physical Movepool and Sheer Force, you're a decent wrecking ball.
    -Defense - Slightly-Below Average - Not bad, but not great, Base 77 helps against most stuff you're neutral to.
    -Sp.Atk - Slightly-Above Average - Not quite as good as Attack, but Base 85 is usable, even with Sheer Force.
    -Sp.Def - Slightly-Below Average - Again, not bad, but not great. Base 75 Sp.Def is slightly worse than Defense, but moreso when you consider how many Special-based Water-Type, Ice-Type, and Psychic-Type Moves exist.
    -Speed - Slightly-Above Borderline (non-Trick Room) - Base 85 is the one major thing holding Nidoking back. So many things outrun it or tank it to the point where it has a rough time.

Abilities:
    -Poison Point - Not worth it. Most Pokémon that'll face Nidoking have the means to avoid Contact.
    -Rivalry - Too unreliable to consider. This gives Nidoking's Offensive Stats an additional 25% value VS Male Pokémon, but Offense is DECREASED 25% against Female Pokémon and you get nothing against Genderless Pokémon.
    -Sheer Force (Hidden, Available [Poké Transfer or Horde]) - The only Ability Nidoking will ever need. Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, Earth Power, Rock Slide, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave, Thunder, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Blizzard, Focus Blast, Iron Tail, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunderpunch, Poison Tail, Poison Sting, Confusion, Water Pulse, Rock Smash, Headbutt, Snore, and Body Slam all benefit from the extra one-third Base Power. Most of those are very viable as standalone Moves on other Pokémon anyway, so why not give Nidoking the extra edge it needs?

Overall, Nidoking is a really cool Pokémon from the original mix, but suffers from generally-middling Stats. The one saving grace aside from its diverse Movepool is that sweet Sheer Power Ability. Alas, Nidoking suffers from 4 common weaknesses and has little defensive capability, so it needs as much support as it can get - especially Baton Passed Speed buffs.
    Last edited by Kraleck; 10th August 2014 at 9:49 PM. Reason: Updated to Gen VI Information
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Nidoking. A classic case of "how do I evolve X to get it" in Gen I. Without a guide, not many knew a Moon Stone was the way to go. Cool Type combo and Physical Movepool give it some firepower. Let's go...

Stats:
    -Attack - Good - Base 92 is pretty nice. Combined with that Physical Movepool and Sheer Force, you're a decent wrecking ball.
    Actually, Nidoking was buffed to 102 Base Attack in X and Y
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

I have a bit of a soft spot for Nidoking. I like it. The issue I have with it is that I have Six Pokemon Syndrome. In other words, I always find other Pokemon to do Nidoking's job.
    That being said, Nidoking is a very capable attacker. With a base 102 attack stat, Nidoking can fire off STAB Earthquakes and Poison Jabs (further enhanced by Sheer Force) with tremendous force. Nidoking isn't lacking physical coverage moves. It has access to Rock Slide, Megahorn, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, and priority in Sucker Punch. For special attacking, Sheer Force provides reinforcement to that less than stellar base 85 special attack. Moves include Sludge Wave and Earth Power, both boosted by Sheer Force. Coverage comes from Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, and Surf.
    While 81/77/75 bulk might not seem like much, Nidoking has pretty good defensive type. It's immune to poison status, so it can last a fair amount of time without fear of Toxic while also absorbing Toxic Spikes. It boasts resistances to Bug, Fairy, Fighting, Poison, and Rock, which comes with Stealth Rock resistance. This gets topped off by an immunity to Electric, which also means you don't have to worry about Thunder Waves. Nidoking can throw Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes as entry hazards and has access to Roar, Taunt, Dragon Tail, Disable, and Torment.
    As an attacker, the main issue with Nidoking is that it only has one stat boosting move: Hone Claws. This means Nidoking's power is a case of what you see is what you get. Life Orb helps, but it might not be enough. Additionally, if you don't run Fire Punch or Fire Blast, Skarmory will completely wall you because it's immune to both of Nidoking's STABs.
    The issue with Nidoking's bulk is the lack of a reliable recovery move like Recover and the existence of his wife Nidoqueen. Additionally, Nidoking is weak to Ground, Ice, Psychic, and Water, all but Psychic being very common.
    In summary, Nidoking is a good Pokemon, but is relatively easy to work around at the same time.
    I claim Buizel.

Nidoking~ He and his queen counterpart better get Mega evolutions!

I want to make a Nidorino set for the pre-evolution corner.
    I hope Nidorina gets a feature when we feature the queen!

Nido-Prince
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Speed, 152 Att, and 100 Def, Sp.def or HP (depending on your team's need.)
    Ability: Hustle
    Item: Eviolite, expert belt, air balloon, life orb, or sitrus berry
    Moves:

Hone Claws
    Drill Run
    Poison Jab
    Sucker Punch

The poor prince's move pool is limited to this, but at least he has something. Hustle increases his attack, but lowers accuracy. Hone Claws should help with the accuracy issue and make him stronger at the same time. Poison Jab is for stab (a rhyme!), Drill Run is for coverage, and Sucker Punch is for more coverage and priority.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Adamant@Choice Scarf
    Rivalry - 24 HP/252 Atk/232 Spd
    -Earthquake
    -Head smash
    -Sucker Punch
    -Megahorn/Poison Jab

Makes use of the fact you find more male pokémons than females to take full benefit of Rivalry bonus, which leaves him with up to 416 Atk. The Spd being in 264 allows him to outrun up to base 130 Spd pokemons too, becoming pretty useful against weaker defensively pokemons.
    Lienn FC: 3780-9463-2548 Please only add if we're going to interact since my Flist is reaching the limit.
    Friend Safari: Swirlix, Flabébé, Kirlia

Quote Originally Posted by Mestorn View Post
    Actually, Nidoking was buffed to 102 Base Attack in X and Y
    Whoops. Was looking at the 5th Gen Pokédex Page by mistake. My bad. Fixing it.

WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

You're Screwed. Royally.
    Nidoking@Life Orb
    Timid nature
    Sheer Force
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Earth Power
    ~Thunderbolt/Sludge Wave
    ~Ice Beam/Sludge Wave
    ~Flamethrower/Sludge Wave

Nidoking is perhaps the best user of Sheer Force in the game. Respectable Special Attack and Speed, one hell of a special movepool, and its best stuff even works perfectly with Sheer Force! The idea is simple- you bring it in, and you commence the utter destruction of the other team. Earth Power is a given, it's an incredible STAB move. Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower are also borderline essential, but alternatively, you could swap any one of them out for Sludge Wave. Nidoking also gets STAB on Sludge Wave, and it'll give opponents plenty reason to think twice before bringing in those Fairy-types.

Item is ideal for this purpose, further powering up Nidoking's moves while the undesirable recoil is cancelled out. Ability is likewise essential for boosting the moves and negating Life Orb recoil.

Long Live The King
    Nidoking@Life Orb
    Jolly nature
    Sheer Force
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Poison Jab/Earthquake
    ~Thunder Punch
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Fire Punch

A physical version of the previous set. Same general idea behind it. Actually, this could easily be the standard Nidoking, except sadly, Earthquake does not boast a side effect. And neither does Drill Run, either, hence the set not even mentioning it. I mean, it can easily work, Nidoking's got the Attack power to back it up.

Item and Ability I already covered.

Other options:
    *...Uh...
    *Um...
    *Well, there's...
    *...Hone Claws? Stone Edge? Rock Slide? Yeah, no, I already covered Nidoking's greatest hits.

Abilities:
    *Poison Point: Whenever Nidoking is on the receiving end of a contact move, it has a 30% chance of poisoning the attacker, provided it's not immune to poisoning. Really a "meh" Ability.
    *Rivalry: Nidoking's moves are boosted by 25% against opponents the same gender as it and reduced in power by 25% against opposite-gender opponents. Genderless opponents don't activate the Ability. It has potential as an Ability, but ultimately, it's just really gimmicky.
    *Sheer Force: Nidoking's Hidden Ability. When Nidoking uses a move that has a side effect (that isn't detrimental to the user, such as self-inflicted stat drops), the move is powered up by 30%, but the side effect doesn't happen. Moves affected by this do not incur Life Orb recoil or Shell Bell HP recovery, activate an opponent's Color Change, Red Card, or Eject Button. Easily Nidoking's best possible Ability, it's not even a contest.

Partners:
    You can't go wrong with Smashpassing. Or really, any Baton Passer with a Speed-increasing move. Sticky Web support will also take you far with Nidoking.

Counters:
    Nidoking isn't the fastest Pokémon out there, so if you can outspeed it, and if what you can outspeed it with has a super effective move with at least decent power behind it, Nidoking can kiss his powerful tail goodbye.

Opinion:
    Tied with Stunfisk for my favorite Ground-type. I love this thing. It is awesomeness incarnate.

Prediction for next week:
    Wobbuffet

Pre-Evolution Corner

Sweeperino
    Nidorino@Eviolite
    Adamant nature
    Hustle
    252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
    ~Hone Claws
    ~Drill Run/Poison Jab
    ~Double Kick
    ~Shadow Claw

Nidorino can hold its own in battle, too. Hone Claws further boosts its Attack while cancelling out Hustle's accuracy drop, Double Kick and Shadow Claw are for the unresisted coverage, and Drill Run is just a good move for coverage, though Poison Jab can replace it if STAB is more your priority.

Item is for boosting defenses. Ability works well with Hone Claws to make Nidorino a force to be reckoned with.

Other options:
    *Sucker Punch, if you can fit it in there somewhere, gives Nidorino an answer to its bleh Speed.

Abilities:
    *Poison Point: Whenever Nidorino is on the receiving end of a contact move, it has a 30% chance of poisoning the attacker, provided it's not immune to poisoning. Really a "meh" Ability.
    *Rivalry: Nidorino's moves are boosted by 25% against opponents the same gender as it and reduced in power by 25% against opposite-gender opponents. Genderless opponents don't activate the Ability. It has potential as an Ability, but ultimately, it's just really gimmicky.
    *Hustle: Nidorino's Hidden Ability. Nidorino's physical moves are powered up by x1.5, but the accuracy of its physical moves is only 80% of what it usually is. This is the Ability that makes Nidorino worth giving a shot. It's not the best, but it could be worse.

Partners:
    Wish support can be helpful. Maybe Baton Pass it an Ingrain or something. If you can pass it some Attack and accuracy buffs, you'll bypass the need to use Hone Claws altogether.

Counters:
    Anything that can take one of Nidorino's attacks and has at least decent power behind its own moves is likely to be able to defeat it. I'm not saying Nidorino is invincible, I'm just saying, don't underestimate it.

Opinion:
    I like Nidorino almost as much as I like Nidoking. I've always had a thing for middle evolutions, and Nidorino's presence in the original Pokémon Red opening helped matters in that regard.

Prediction for next week:
    Wobbuffet
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 17th August 2014 at 4:58 AM. Reason: Merged double post: Infraction given

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 1 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Sludge Wave
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt

This set bypasses Nidoking mediocre speed and makes it a decent revenge killer with great coverage. It reaches 449 speed, which is pretty good.

Oh, and a question- exactly how should I go about requesting that something in the Dragalge POTW article get changed? Sludge Bomb should be replaced with Sludge Wave in the Toxic Spikes set. More power, less of a chance to poison. And we don't want to poison opponents with that move, we want to badly poison them via Toxic Spikes!

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 1 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Oh, and a question- exactly how should I go about requesting that something in the Dragalge POTW article get changed? Sludge Bomb should be replaced with Sludge Wave in the Toxic Spikes set. More power, less of a chance to poison. And we don't want to poison opponents with that move, we want to badly poison them via Toxic Spikes!
    The main goal of the set should be to use Dragon Tail to shuffle around the opponent's team to poison as many things as possible with Toxic Spikes. The only time you'll really need to use Sludge Bomb is when you're up against a Fairy that can block Dragon Tail or something else that you can KO with Sludge Bomb, in which case the difference in the type of poison is hardly going to matter (in fact, if you only need a couple of turns to KO the opponent with Sludge Bomb, the regular poison will be more beneficial than Toxic poison). Sludge Bomb also has a better chance to poison floating opponents than Dragon Tail with Poison Touch, which is always useful. Besides, there's really no need to change little nitpicks like that because it ultimately comes down to a player's preference, and it's not like these articles are supposed to be competitive resources like Smogon's analyses are. They're generally for entertainment purposes and some competitive advice, but they should never be your primary source for using a Pokemon competitively.

Outclassed by Landorus-I in standard play, however an absolute powerhouse in UU

Royal Pain
    Nidoking@Life Orb
    Timid nature
    Sheer Force
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Earth Power
    ~Sludge Wave
    ~Ice Beam/Focus Blast
    ~Thunderbolt
    This set takes it's STAB and coverage to terrorize the UU tier(don't EVER use nidoking in OU, you should be using Landorus-I there) anyways STABs are mandatory, as is Thunderbolt, so you can wipe Suicune and Slowbro. Focus Blast is an option to get a 2HKO on Umbreon, who otherwise hard counters Nidoking, but you have teammates for a reason.

The sets that it should have are already posted so need for me to add that.
    There are 3 sets for Nidoking which is the Choice Scarf, Life Orb and the less popular but still effective [b]Naive Mixed version[b]
    Here are some things I see in the sets which I would like to explain though.

Sludge Wave > Sludge bomb
    The reason why Sludge wave is better for Nidoking in UU is because Bulletproof Chesnaught.

Bulldoze / Earthquake
    Earthquake is stronger but gives Recoil damage due Life orb, the diffrence is about 11% so it notable over Bulldoze
    but every small hit matters for Nidoking due its kinda average bulk so once losing 1/16 of health you might not survive those hits that otherwise 2hitko it.
    So its up to you if you want power over safety both can work in your favor.

Fire Blast < Thunder / Thunderbolt
    The presence of dominant water pokemon is quite huge.. take M-blastoise, Milotic or Suicune.
    The only reason to run Fire blast on it is so you can't be walled by Bronzong.. Forretress will fall by 2 Earth powers so you dont need a fire move for it
    Also because of Sturdy aswell (which will still result in a 2hitko with fire blast anyway) the electric moves are mainly there to kill M-blastoise which is a very dominant mega in UU
    so in my personal expercience I prefer the Ice / Thunder combination in UU.

Looking for active friend codes of people that love to do Multi battles.
    No skill level required but dont use Ubers. Give me a PM/VM with your friend code so we can become friends and enjoy some great Multi battles !
    my fc = 0705 4374 1566

Quote Originally Posted by Azulart View Post
    Sludge Wave > Sludge bomb
    The reason why Sludge wave is better for Nidoking in UU is because Bulletproof Chesnaught.
    Sludge Wave does more damage against everything. Sheer Force cancels the poison chance on both moves so Sludge Wave is better against all targets, not just Chesnaught.

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Timid / Modest
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    ~Earth Power
    ~Sludge Wave
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Fire Blast / Thunderbolt

Would it be possible to put the stats of the Pokemon at the top of the POTW article?

Quote Originally Posted by 13_luckynumber View Post
    Would it be possible to put the stats of the Pokemon at the top of the POTW article?
    We could, but if you click on the big picture of the Pokemon at the top of the page, you can go straight to its Pokedex page and look at every relevant detail including its abilities, movepool, and stats.

About scarf, both Timid and Modest should be put. Timid has the nice advantage of outspeeding any scarf chandelures, regardless of the latters nature.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    We could, but if you click on the big picture of the Pokemon at the top of the page, you can go straight to its Pokedex page and look at every relevant detail including its abilities, movepool, and stats.
    This would be further complicated by various Forms, Wormadam Cloaks, and Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist Sizes...not to mention Mega Evolutions. Best to just keep it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gars129 View Post
    About scarf, both Timid and Modest should be put. Timid has the nice advantage of outspeeding any scarf chandelures, regardless of the latters nature.
    It's also noteworthy to mention that it forces a Speed tie with Scarf Heracross.

I don't see many people mentioning specific counters or checks these days, mostly general ones. Allow me to remedy this.

Blissey - The Pink Blob is a no-brainer. It walls Nidoking into oblivion and stalls it out without much difficulty. Focus Blast can only 3HKO at best, and we all know that Focus Blast hitting 3 times in a row is a major gamble. Even the rare Naive Nidoking can't guarantee a 2HKO Blissey with Superpower due to the stat drops (remembering that Sheer Force does NOT negate stat drops).

Spoiler:- Blissey Calcs:

Goodra - Much like Blissey, Goodra's supreme special bulk and its trademark Assault Vest set allow it to shrug off special attacks, but it's a bit less reliable than Blissey. Ice Beam can only 3HKO Goodra at best, and only about half the time. That said, the uncommon Naive set can surprise Goodra by 2HKOing it with Poison Jab, but of course mixed Nidoking is not quite so common. It does have surprise value though. That said, Naive Nidoking does run the risk of being reliably 1HKO'ed by Draco Meteor, and Timid variants still take a huge chunk of HP with a slight chance of 1HKO.

Spoiler:- Goodra Calcs:

Umbreon - Yet another bulky Pokemon who can manage to stall Nidoking out. Nidoking needs Focus Blast to handle Umbreon, which 2HKOs it. Otherwise, Nidoking can only 4HKO Umbreon with its STABs, while Umbreon can 3HKO with Foul Play and/or stall it out. Much like Blissey, the rare naive Superpower can take a chunk out of it, but due to the stat drops, this isn't a reliable means of KOing, as Naive Superpower has a low chance to 2HKO without any prior damage, although it does decrease the Foul Play damage in return, lol.

Spoiler:- Umbreon Calcs:

If all else fails? Revenge kill it! Nidoking's got a decisively average speed tier; it may not be the slowest Pokemon in the tier but a lot of things outspeed it. Pretty much every common Scarfer, barring Chandelure and Heracross, outspeeds it and can either 1HKO or take a sizable chunk of its HP. Darmanitan, Flygon, Hydreigon, Infernape, Haxorus, Victini, Jirachi, etc. all outspeed it, and can reliable revenge kill it. Mind you, a lot of them don't like switching into it, but this is not unique to Nidoking; there's a lot of things in the tier that can be daunting prospects to switch into (Hydreigon, anyone?).

There's also the fact that Nidoking does have a bit of competition, as well. Its female counterpart, Nidoqueen, may be slower, but has better bulk, and comparable power given the lower speed allows it to reliably run Modest, while most Nidoking run Timid (in fact, Modest Nidoqueen actually does outdamage Timid Nidoking). There's also another mixed wall-breaker who happens to be a top-tier threat, being none other than Hydreigon. Hydreigon's LO set actually matches the power of Nidoking's Sheer Force + LO, but with better bulk and speed, and reliable recovery in Roost. Mind you, it does have the Life Orb recoil while Nidoking doesn't, and it wishes it could break through Florges as easily as Nidoking, but overall Hydreigon does give Nidoking a run for its money. This doesn't make Nidoking a bad Pokemon by any means, but you do have to consider the competition when choosing Nidoking on your team.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.