Thread: Nuclear Magneton [RU]

Default Nuclear Magneton [RU]

I've been procrastinating this a lot, but anyone who's been reading my posts in competitive should know by now that I've been into RU a lot lately. I've finally come across a team I've found that functions to my liking, albeit without Claydol much to my disappointment. For those who don't know, Claydol is literally the only initial motivation I had to try RU, so yes, it disappoints me that I can't fit one of my all-time favorites well on this team (so I'll give a shout-out to Claydol!).

All that aside, I figured it's ready for a rate at this point, though I realize there are less people who play enough RU to help here when compared to those that play OU, Ubers, etc. Either way, I'd really appreciate suggestions on what I could do to improve this team.

Gligar @ Eviolite
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Defog
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roost

Gligar is a solid Defogger, and one of very few good ones in RU with its immunity to grounded hazards and neutral damage from Stealth Rock. Its great Ground/Flying typing gives my team a much needed Electric and Ground immunity as well, which is vital given that the rest of my team is weak to one or the other. EV's and Eviolite maximize bulk with Roost providing reliable recovery as a physical wall when Defogging isn't necessary. Earthquake is a great STAB, that shouldn't need much explanation, and Stealth Rock has been moved to Gligar since Cobalion has been replaced with Virizion. Immunity is also illegal with Defog, so Hyper Cutter is pretty much the only option.

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - U-turn
    - Return
    - Superpower

Jolly Scarf Braviary is a fantastic revenge killer outspeeding positive natured base 130's, namely Jolteon. That base 123 makes for a very nice Brave Bird, and Return for situations where Brave Bird is resisted or if I want to avoid recoil. U-turn is for scouting and deals decent damage to the surprisingly decent amount of Bug-weak Pokemon in the tier, and Superpower allows it to hit Rock and Steel types like Rhyperior, Registeel and Magneton for decent damage on the switch. Defiant is the ability of choice here, though as stated above there are few good Defoggers so it often serves as an anti-Intimidate and punishment for any lucky stat drops. Without or without the boost, Braviary also works well as a late-game sweeper taking out threats like Hitmonlee and Yanmega that might otherwise threaten my team. As far as synergy is concerned, the flying typing also provides another Ground immunity for Magneton to hide behind.

Changes to consider:
    - New Pokemon completely? Spiritomb comes to mind but any suggestion is appreciated

Magneton @ Eviolite
    Ability: Analytic
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Volt Switch

Now this is the star of the team, if it wasn't for Magneton I probably wouldn't still be interested in RU after I realized Claydol wasn't as good as I hoped. It's easy to see that Magneton's raw power is the inspiration for the team's name. Magneton hits like a nuke, Analytic boost or not, and this lets it punch massive holes in anything that doesn't resist Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon if not outright OHKO them. Hidden Power Grass is the Hidden Power of choice since it allows it to beat those obnoxious Water/Ground types that like to sneak in every now and then, and it's more useful than HP Fire since most things are already hit hard by Electric attacks. Volt Switch is the last move, and it puts a lot of pressure on the opponent since not many non-Ground types want to switch into an Specs Analytic boosted Volt Switch, and this alone improves the effectiveness of the VoltTurn core. The nature and EV spread maximizes this wallbreaking ability and bulk with Eviolite. This helps with the Electric/Steel typing also easing switch-ins from Ice and Electric attacks aimed at Braviary and Gligar, as well as hard countering Fletchinder.

Virizion @ Life Orb
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

Virizion now replaces Cobalion, as suggested by The Imposter, Calm Mind Virizion helps deal with cumbersome Water/Ground types and acts as an acceptable check to Dark types. Furthermore Virizion also doesn't fear burns very much since Virizion has recovery in the form of Giga Drain. It also covers physical Sharpedo who gives my team trouble otherwise. Giga Drain and Focus Blast are typical STAB moves, and Hidden Power Rock gives it a way to hit Fire and Bug types such as Golbat and Moltres. And of course, the nature and EV's maximize offensive presence.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

This is my sweeper, and to keep it short, Sharpedo is a good one. It doesn't take much to know that 70/40/40 are pathetic defensive stats, so switching in Sharpedo on anything that isn't Psychic type is difficult outside of coming in after a partner gets KO'ed. The abundance of VoltTurn on my team helps ease this, though. After bulky Grass types and priority (namely Mach Punch) is out of the way, there's not a lot that can stop Sharpedo from pulling off a sweep mid to late game (or even early if I'm lucky). Protect helps to get the sweep started against faster threats too, as well as letting Sharpedo scout to see if it's a good time to start attacking. Waterfall and Crunch are self-explanatory STAB moves with fantastic coverage on their own, but Earthquake rounds it out to let it reliably OHKO Jolteon and Eviolite Magneton. Life Orb and Adamant over Jolly maximizes power since most relevant threats are outsped at neutral nature +1 Speed anyway.

Changes to consider:
    Adamant -> Naughty + Earthquake -> Ice Beam?

Slowking @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Tail

Finishing off my team is a very handy pivot. Assault Vest Slowking is fantastic with Regenerator, serving as a sort of glue to the team by helping with my team's inability to handle strong special attacks, namely Ice Beams. Scald is ideal here for spreading burns to help its weaker physical defense, and Psyshock is standard Psychic STAB. Fire Blast lets it hit Grass types and especially Escavalier, while Dragon Tail is for phasing. The given EV spread maximizes HP for survivability while hitting an odd HP number for Stealth Rock. The rest goes into Special Attack to add some power to its attacks with the last of it being dumped into Special Defense.

That more or less covers my team. I've listed some changes I've thought about, but I'll consider just about any serious suggestion outside of those. Keep in mind, though, that I'll be very reluctant to replace Magneton, if at all (the team name should tell you that, though).

So yeah, suggest away.

Replay

Spoiler:- Team Summary:
    Last edited by Psynergy; 6th September 2014 at 2:19 AM.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

It's looking like a pretty decent team to me. I think probably the one thing it's really lacking in is that much of it is crippled by Burn. Nobody on your team really appreciates a Burn with the exception of Slowbro, since he's the only one capable of healing the damage off, and one of only two that's not gonna take a hit to his offensive capabilities. Also your only means of attacking Water/Ground types for super-effective is Magneton's Hidden Power, but then there's not much of a way to change that unless you trade one of Slowking's moves out for Grass Knot or bring something in that can learn a Grass move or Freeze-Dry.

As far as the EVs, I'm curious why you went odd HP on Gligar when it's neutral to Rock. It's not a big deal or anything, just that he doesn't especially fear Stealth Rock damage like Braviary might. I also wonder why you've chosen to put Speed into Magneton when he's Analytic. Are there certain threats you're trying to make sure he outspeeds that the Analytic boost wouldn't guarantee an OHKO on with one of his moves? You did mention Gligar, which you'd have to predict by hitting Flash Cannon right off the bat, and it is indeed something that you'd 2HKO regardless of Analytic boost, but is that the only thing you're worried about?

I don't know how much Magneton does to it, but I'd highly recommend double-checking the damage that Magneton does to Togetic. It's a really good FOTM right now and Togetic + Yanmega NastyPass core is starting to spike in popularity, although tbh considering you're running Thunderbolt.

I'd honestly go as far to say to try counter-teaming New Breed's team. Every team in the tier is essentially like new breed's, so counterbuilding this will help your team a lot.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Tanuki View Post
    It's looking like a pretty decent team to me. I think probably the one thing it's really lacking in is that much of it is crippled by Burn. Nobody on your team really appreciates a Burn with the exception of Slowbro, since he's the only one capable of healing the damage off, and one of only two that's not gonna take a hit to his offensive capabilities. Also your only means of attacking Water/Ground types for super-effective is Magneton's Hidden Power, but then there's not much of a way to change that unless you trade one of Slowking's moves out for Grass Knot or bring something in that can learn a Grass move or Freeze-Dry.
    These are actually things I meant to address in my first post, but I forgot to list issues I know my team has. Burns are no fun, but the worst of them come from Scalds and well, Scald is Scald. I previously ran Delphox/Moltres in place of Slowking to deal with Will-o-Wisp burns but then my team had issues taking Water type attacks otherwise. Though I'd definitely be willing to try Tangrowth again or even Amoonguss to help with Water types if those would serve my team better. Not sure who I'd replace, though, Cobalion perhaps? It would also help with my lack of options to hit Water/Ground types. Otherwise I'll have to find a way to fit Grass Knot on Slowking.

As far as the EVs, I'm curious why you went odd HP on Gligar when it's neutral to Rock. It's not a big deal or anything, just that he doesn't especially fear Stealth Rock damage like Braviary might. I also wonder why you've chosen to put Speed into Magneton when he's Analytic. Are there certain threats you're trying to make sure he outspeeds that the Analytic boost wouldn't guarantee an OHKO on with one of his moves? You did mention Gligar, which you'd have to predict by hitting Flash Cannon right off the bat, and it is indeed something that you'd 2HKO regardless of Analytic boost, but is that the only thing you're worried about?
    If I had to be honest, Gligar's EV spread was something I took from the Smogon analysis. It's only a difference of 1 HP so I figured it wasn't anything to concern myself over. As for Magneton, it's actually common for Analytic Magneton to run speed, most actually run 252 Speed last time I checked. Specs Magneton forces quite a few switches, often into Ground types, so that's where most of the Analytic boosted hits are going to come from rather than from being slower than the opponent. I'd want Eviolite if I was going to fully invest in HP over Speed since Magneton isn't bulky enough for repeated hits without it. Since the only threat I was concerned with was Gligar, I invested enough to make sure Magneton could outspeed and 2HKO on the switch. If there's a better EV spread out there, though, I'll definitely try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    I don't know how much Magneton does to it, but I'd highly recommend double-checking the damage that Magneton does to Togetic. It's a really good FOTM right now and Togetic + Yanmega NastyPass core is starting to spike in popularity, although tbh considering you're running Thunderbolt.
    Assuming the most specially defensive Togetic:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Togetic: 216-254 (68.7 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is without the Analytic boost, but nobody is going to switch Togetic into Magneton anyway. That turns into a 50% chance to OHKO if SR is up.

I'd honestly go as far to say to try counter-teaming New Breed's team. Every team in the tier is essentially like new breed's, so counterbuilding this will help your team a lot.
    I'd rather not make drastic changes to the team until the current suspect test is over, but I'll consider it when that's done. That said, I don't exactly which one team you're referring to so a link to it would be appreciated.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Hey Psy, this is a really good team. One thing I'm noticing though is that you have a pretty big weakness to opposing Sharpedo. This can be covered decently by running Calm Mind Virizion over Cobalion. This covers your general weakness to Gastrodon/Seismitoad excellently, while providing a fairly solid check to Sharpedo. It doesn't check SD Zoroark quite as well as Cobalion, but also doesn't fear Flamethrower as much from mixed variants. Naturally if you did this you'd want to put Rocks over U-turn on Gligar (Rocks+Defog actually isn't entirely useless lol). It makes you a bit weaker to NastyPass Togetic but Magneton as you've established should do well enough. I haven't played much RU so take this with a grain of salt, but Cobalion doesn't cover too much that Virizion doesn't from what I can see, and when if Zoroark gets banned Virizion seems like it would be better overall. You could probably run SD Virizion here too, but CM seems more reliable due to recovery in Giga Drain.

Spoiler:- set:

Great team, hope this helps. (Also, iirc new breed's team is the generic omastar HO that's being spammed everywhere on the ladder)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads.../#post-5675427

But yeah your team can handle a majority of them thanks to Magneton.

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    Hey Psy, this is a really good team. One thing I'm noticing though is that you have a pretty big weakness to opposing Sharpedo. This can be covered decently by running Calm Mind Virizion over Cobalion. This covers your general weakness to Gastrodon/Seismitoad excellently, while providing a fairly solid check to Sharpedo. It doesn't check SD Zoroark quite as well as Cobalion, but also doesn't fear Flamethrower as much from mixed variants. Naturally if you did this you'd want to put Rocks over U-turn on Gligar (Rocks+Defog actually isn't entirely useless lol). It makes you a bit weaker to NastyPass Togetic but Magneton as you've established should do well enough. I haven't played much RU so take this with a grain of salt, but Cobalion doesn't cover too much that Virizion doesn't from what I can see, and when if Zoroark gets banned Virizion seems like it would be better overall. You could probably run SD Virizion here too, but CM seems more reliable due to recovery in Giga Drain.

Spoiler:- set:

Great team, hope this helps. (Also, iirc new breed's team is the generic omastar HO that's being spammed everywhere on the ladder)
    Ah, this is perfect, I hadn't even considered Virizion or the fact that my team really doesn't like opposing Sharpedo. It also helps with my team's aversion to burns and Scald since that's something else that won't mind a burn too much. I'll definitely give this a shot, along with trying Stealth Rock on Gligar. I'll be sure to update my first post with the changes.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads.../#post-5675427

But yeah your team can handle a majority of them thanks to Magneton.
    Ohhh okay, this team looks familiar. Awesome, I'll be sure to take a closer look at it when I can and see how my team does against it.

Yeah UM New Breed's team is ridiculous I got reqs with it in like 2 days and I wasn't even playing super seriously LOL

And no do not use Eviolite Magneton. You need the power in order to actually kill things.

I also suggest Grass Knot > Dragon Tail on Slowking as it helps you surprise Gastrodons who think can come in safely onto Slowking.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

After doing a spot-check on that team, it doesn't look like my team would struggle too much against it since Sharpedo threatens the team quite a bit if it comes in safely and Hitmonlee is gone. Omastar's hazard setting could be a problem if I'm not careful, though Virizion can stop it since it still outspeeds after a Weak Armor boost. Magneton can also do a number to anything on this team. I'll have to actually see it in practice first, but this definitely helps, I'll keep track of it.

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    Yeah UM New Breed's team is ridiculous I got reqs with it in like 2 days and I wasn't even playing super seriously LOL

And no do not use Eviolite Magneton. You need the power in order to actually kill things.

I also suggest Grass Knot > Dragon Tail on Slowking as it helps you surprise Gastrodons who think can come in safely onto Slowking.
    Yeah, Specs is not something I want to replace unless I absolutely need to, but at this point it's looking more like Specs Magneton benefits my team a lot more than Eviolite Magneton would. As for Slowking, that's a tough choice. I do like Dragon Tail for stopping things like physically bulky CM Reuniclus, but it doesn't accomplish much otherwise, and Sharpedo can deal with Reuniclus. Gastrodon appears to be more common, so I think I'll give Grass Knot a shot and see how things go.

Hmm.. I know you were talking about Sharpedo before. Sharpedo/Amoonguss can be pretty brutal towards Virizion, as Stealth Rock almost guarantees a OKHO on Virizion if it switches into a LO Ice Beam, and Crunch hits Slowking really hard too. I mean I know that Gligar is there for those rocks, but one or two LO GigaDrains on Amoonguss, and you are looking at a potential 2HKO by Sharpedo. HP Fire also messes up Magneton, who also doesn't get the Analytic boost. I've been using a Sharpedo/Amoonguss/Physically bulky Gastrodon based team a lot to great success, and I see others using Amoonguss/Gastrodon in general, so I just wondered how you combat them, if something like Slowking does go down.

Edit: Also been seeing Assault vest Tangrowth with Knock Off and Giga Drain for other Assault Vest users too and wondered how you dealt with it.
    Also, do you have a lot of trouble with Knock Off? That seems to be my bane.
    Last edited by saPower1000; 27th August 2014 at 3:01 AM.
    My 3DS FC: 0001-3584-6982
    Psychic E4 at PokeGyms
    Finally decided to make a playlist for the Pokemon Battle themes I make! You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...&action_edit=1
    And my newest work, a battle theme for Genesect is here! Check it out! http://youtu.be/Y_3K593dAUo
    Fanmade themes for: Heatran and The Dive Theme coming soon! I take requests too, so PM me about them!
    PokeGyms Badges so far:

Quote Originally Posted by McDanger View Post
    Excadrill can also cripple steels with iron head

After the shifts (ban of Zoro and Yanmega) there are some changes I would suggest for your team:

1) Dragon Tail > Grass Knot. Let's be honest, your need to kill Gastrodon is almost next to none since it's not a very prevalent threat to begin with. Furthermore, you already have CM Virizion to pressure Gastrodon. Dragon Tail is almost key to deal with the surge of Psychic offense (specifically Calm Mind sweepers). With Sigilyph and Meloetta's CM set slated to rise in popularity, being able to stop them from snowballing out of control is almost crucial.

2) Maximizing Magneton's bulk. Considering that Magneton's now your only safest switch-in for Specs Meloetta, it's highly recommended that you go with a bulk build rather than a hybrid HP/Speed spread. If you need Speed EVs, find the one thing you will need to outpace (preferably a defensive 'mon). It's a necessary trade-off for your team: hard-hitting nuke for a much-needed Meloetta-resist pivot.

3) Eviolite > Choice Specs. This is simply due to the surge or Meloetta's power and really just serves as a strong check to Specs Meloetta (which nothing on your team can switch into bar Magneton). Without Eviolite, Specs Eviolite Shadow Ball 2HKOs. With an Eviolite, it's only a 3HKO, which gives you a safe switch-in to fall back onto against Meloetta and use a slow Volt-Switch to get yourself out of there.

4) I'd highly recommend dropping Braviary for something else. First, outside of Gligar, Rapid Spin is the most predominant form of hazard removal in the tier (between the standard Hitmonlee and the occasional Sandslash to beat Doublade). Second, when looking at its performance chart against some of RU's top Pokemon in the tier, you can easily see that Braviary has a pretty bad match-up with a good portion of the tier. Regarding defensive Pokemon, quite a few Pokemon either outright take little from its attacks or have huge enough HP where Braviary would be slowly killing itself to death with repeated Courageous Avians. Offensively as a Scarfed Pokemon, it sits well under the Scarf threshold (which is Timid Meloetta), so it's going to have a relatively tough time as a late-game cleaner if Meloetta is still alive.

Hope you find this helpful.

[In Clan Memoriam]
    Memories are eternal.

Survival isn't eternal

Read these comments awhile ago, just got to implementing changes and testing them. First off, since I didn't mention it before, Virizion was a fantastic change, it's a perfect improvement for my team so thanks again for that suggestion, Imposter.

1) Dragon Tail > Grass Knot. Let's be honest, your need to kill Gastrodon is almost next to none since it's not a very prevalent threat to begin with. Furthermore, you already have CM Virizion to pressure Gastrodon. Dragon Tail is almost key to deal with the surge of Psychic offense (specifically Calm Mind sweepers). With Sigilyph and Meloetta's CM set slated to rise in popularity, being able to stop them from snowballing out of control is almost crucial.
    Did this change since I completely agree. This was one of the first things that came to mind once Yanmega and Zoroark were banned, and frankly Grass Knot didn't get much use anyway.

2) Maximizing Magneton's bulk. Considering that Magneton's now your only safest switch-in for Specs Meloetta, it's highly recommended that you go with a bulk build rather than a hybrid HP/Speed spread. If you need Speed EVs, find the one thing you will need to outpace (preferably a defensive 'mon). It's a necessary trade-off for your team: hard-hitting nuke for a much-needed Meloetta-resist pivot.

3) Eviolite > Choice Specs. This is simply due to the surge or Meloetta's power and really just serves as a strong check to Specs Meloetta (which nothing on your team can switch into bar Magneton). Without Eviolite, Specs Eviolite Shadow Ball 2HKOs. With an Eviolite, it's only a 3HKO, which gives you a safe switch-in to fall back onto against Meloetta and use a slow Volt-Switch to get yourself out of there.
    Okay, now these changes were tough since I loved using Specs on Magneton. I was hesitant at first, but in general I've found my team to be very appreciative of Magneton's greatly improved bulk (now 252 HP / 252 SpAtt / 4 Speed). That and it still hits hard even without the Specs so I'm glad you suggested this. Regardless of whether or not my opponent runs Meloetta it's great, and it also makes it easier for Magneton to threaten Alomomola/Amoonguss cores, which happens to be my least favorite defensive core at the moment.

4) I'd highly recommend dropping Braviary for something else. First, outside of Gligar, Rapid Spin is the most predominant form of hazard removal in the tier (between the standard Hitmonlee and the occasional Sandslash to beat Doublade). Second, when looking at its performance chart against some of RU's top Pokemon in the tier, you can easily see that Braviary has a pretty bad match-up with a good portion of the tier. Regarding defensive Pokemon, quite a few Pokemon either outright take little from its attacks or have huge enough HP where Braviary would be slowly killing itself to death with repeated Courageous Avians. Offensively as a Scarfed Pokemon, it sits well under the Scarf threshold (which is Timid Meloetta), so it's going to have a relatively tough time as a late-game cleaner if Meloetta is still alive.
    Took me awhile to get what you meant with this since Jolly Scarf outspeeds all forms of Meloetta except for Timid Scarf, but then I realized that's exactly what you meant. Regardless of Meloetta though, I have noticed that Braviary doesn't seem to do much on my team anymore outside of beating Amoonguss, so he's kinda starting to feel out of place. I haven't really been able to think of much to replace him yet, so he's still there for now. Spiritomb is catching my attention as a possible replacement, though, given that it stops Meloetta hard and could give my team some much needed priority and a more reliable Psychic immunity. The physical attacker set in particular has my attention but I'd appreciate any suggestions for a better set or Pokemon.

Spoiler:- Physical Spiritomb:

Quote Originally Posted by saPower1000 View Post
    Hmm.. I know you were talking about Sharpedo before. Sharpedo/Amoonguss can be pretty brutal towards Virizion, as Stealth Rock almost guarantees a OKHO on Virizion if it switches into a LO Ice Beam, and Crunch hits Slowking really hard too. I mean I know that Gligar is there for those rocks, but one or two LO GigaDrains on Amoonguss, and you are looking at a potential 2HKO by Sharpedo. HP Fire also messes up Magneton, who also doesn't get the Analytic boost. I've been using a Sharpedo/Amoonguss/Physically bulky Gastrodon based team a lot to great success, and I see others using Amoonguss/Gastrodon in general, so I just wondered how you combat them, if something like Slowking does go down.
    I won't deny that Special Sharpedo can give me trouble if I switch Virizion into an Ice Beam, and Amoonguss is just difficult to deal with regardless, but I can't really think of anything I could do to completely counter them without reworking my team significantly. At the moment Sharpedo is a case of keeping pressure on it so it doesn't get the chance to come in and get a Speed Boost up, since Sharpedo can potentially beat a lot of threats if it gets the chance. If Sharpedo lacks Earthquake Magneton can threaten it too, especially now with Eviolite. Seems Earthquake has gotten less common lately as well sitting at 15.848% so if anyone thinks I should change Earthquake on my physical Sharpedo set I'll consider it.

Amoonguss is also just a pain since that alongside Alomomola is a frustrating core to deal with. Magneton can handle it pretty well if sleep clause is active, but as with Sharpedo it seems like it's just something I have to play cautiously against.

Edit: Also been seeing Assault vest Tangrowth with Knock Off and Giga Drain for other Assault Vest users too and wondered how you dealt with it.
    Also, do you have a lot of trouble with Knock Off? That seems to be my bane.
    Virizion isn't particularly scared of Tangrowth in most forms since I can set up on it even with Assault Vest. Virizion also doesn't mind a Knock Off too much so it's typically my best answer for it. Otherwise Slowking's Fire Blast keeps Tangrowth in check.

Also got a replay if anyone wants to try analyzing the team from this viewpoint. I'll add it and current changes to the first post for reference. All of these suggestions and comments have been great, thanks!

I watched the replay. That was really fun to see, and props on pulling through at the end, even with the constant hounding of SR.
    I noticed you were playing really safe with Braviary, and not using Superpower to catch the Registeel on the switch (I know you didn't want to keep switching it out with SR up, and being locked into SP is very bad)
    At minimum, a max HP/Def takes 67.5% and a Max HP/4 Def takes 79.6% so I assume that's why. Considering that you have Grass Knot on Slowking and Giga Drain on Virizion, have you considered HP Fire on Magneton?
    Also, your team was really having a problem with Status, so maybe switching out Gligar with Togetic? Indeed, you would be taking 25% on the switch and wouldn't be able to set up SR, but you would have a nice Cleric with reliable recovery, the ability to remove Status, and still have Defog. So I guess that's really up to your preference.
    Lastly Focus Blast. Now that was just unlucky, so nothing could really be done there, but how would you fair running HP Fighting over F-Blast, and having it go mixed (so changing the nature to Naive) with Stone Edge? You'd still hit those 4x weak Pokemon with an OHKO

0 Atk Life Orb Virizion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Moltres: 374-442 (116.5 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    I don't know how having HP Fight would affect what you want to hit specially though.

Edit: Virizion could run Close Combat, Stone Edge, Giga Drain, Work up, with a Naive nature, as HP Fighting is horrendously inferior on the common Sp.D Registeel, and if you are ok with not boosting Sp.D, to have a balanced mix set with no need to invest in Attack.

I also don't mind having a test battle with you, if you want to see how it would fair.

Edit2: Also, if you had HP Fire (which does slightly more damage than Flash Cannon (33.7 - 40.2% as opposed to Flash Cannon's 33.5 - 39.8%, which yields 37.1% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery as opposed to Flash Cannon's 24.5% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery)), you can switch well with Togetic, as Magneton would block poison and take minimal damage from steel,Ice and Rock type moves, as well as force some users out, while Togetic can cover the Ground and specially offensive Fire types, as well as provide Wish support to provide healing for Magneton if you see it fit.

Edit3:
    Watched the video again and wondered: did you not use Grass Knot on Alomomola because you didn't have it? I thought you had replaced Dragon Tail for it (Turn 33).
    Grass not would have done more, and you could have attempted to bait the Golbat out after using it once, and then go for Psyshock.
    Last edited by saPower1000; 6th September 2014 at 4:55 AM.
    My 3DS FC: 0001-3584-6982
    Psychic E4 at PokeGyms
    Finally decided to make a playlist for the Pokemon Battle themes I make! You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...&action_edit=1
    And my newest work, a battle theme for Genesect is here! Check it out! http://youtu.be/Y_3K593dAUo
    Fanmade themes for: Heatran and The Dive Theme coming soon! I take requests too, so PM me about them!
    PokeGyms Badges so far:

Quote Originally Posted by McDanger View Post
    Excadrill can also cripple steels with iron head