Thread: Community POTW #044

Default Community POTW #044

Time for the next one, and we've got a fairly recent Pokémon

It's Druddigon, the non-evolving Dragon-type Pokémon. This Pokémon can hit hard.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/621.shtml

Go nuts

trick room set that can work if its imported from Gen 5

Nature:Brave
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Item: Choice Band

Iron Head
    Gunk Shot
    Earthquake
    Outrage

Gen 6 set

Nature:Brave
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Item: Life Orb

Poison Tail / Iron Tail
    Night Slash
    Outrage
    Bulldoze / Shadow Claw

Druddigon, the sole non-legendary, non-evolving Dragon. While Druddigon can be a tenacious foe during the main game, it simply pales in comparison to most of its brethren.

Druddigon is a “bulky” sweeper. It has to be. Its sole stat that exceeds 100 is ATK and base 120 is nothing to sneeze at. Complement that with the wide array of resistances Dragons possess and above average defenses (and just barely missing average HP) and you can see the term bulky sweeper fits Druddigon fits like a glove. Unfortunately Druddigon is slug slow and its ATK is overshadowed by other dragons with better speed and possibly defenses. Also Druddigon crimps on Garchomp’s style (German name is Shardrago; ‘nuff said).

DragonForce
    Druddigon (Sheer Force)
    Item: Life Orb
    -Dragon Claw
    -Rock Slide
    -Sucker Punch/Thunder Fang
    -Fire Fang/Thunder Fang
    Nature: Admant (+ATK, -SATK) or Brave (+ATK, -SPD)
    EVs: 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SDEF

The LifeForce combo makes a reappearance… but why can’t Druddigon get Dragon Rush? It is the lone physical dragon move that benefits from LifeForce. Such wasted potential. Anyways, Dragon Claw for reliable STAB (Fairies = Outrage is a no-no). Rock Slide for exploiting LifeForce and coverage. Sucker Punch for priority and Fire Fang/Thunder Fang for LifeForce and coverage again.

Other Options

Mold Breaker+Earthquake
    -The number of things whose day is ruined by a Mold Breaker Earthquake is too large not to deserve a mention.

Pursuit
    -Punishing fleeing pokemon is always good.

Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Gunk Shot/Iron Head
    -All great moves that exploit DragonForce well, but they require a transfer.

Aqua Tail
    -Great coverage. Transfer.

Stealth Rock
    -Best move in the game.

Countering Druddigon
    Burning Druddigon stops it cold. Its ATK is its everything. Also strong sweepers with super effective moves are a good option, but they will need to be STAB/boosted to muscle past Druddigon's defense. Druddigon has a lot of options so it is very difficult to find a pokemon that can wall every set; thankfully, outside of Trick Room, outspeeding it is laughably easy.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 24th August 2014 at 3:11 PM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

The obvious sheer force sets will do Drudigon well, however there's also the option of running a bulky set with rough skin and glare:

Rough Skin
    Item: leftovers/ Rocky Helmet
    Stealth Rock
    Glare
    Dragon tail
    protect/ stone edge/ gunk shot/ filler
    Nature: Impish (+def, -SpAtk)
    EVs: 252HP, 252Def, 4 SpDef

It may not be as bulky as some other physical walls but it still has some pretty decent bulk combined with several useful utility moves. It sets up hazards pretty easily as not many rapid spinners/defoggers want to take a hit from Drudigon and it can paralyze even ground types.

Another set is an assault vest set:
    Item: Assault vest
    Dragon claw/Dragon rush (I don't know if it's available)
    Iron tail/Iron head/Gunk shot
    Earthquake
    fire fang/thunder fang
    Adamant nature (+Attack, -SpAtk)
    EVs: 204HP, 252Atk, 48 SpDef

The assault vest allows it to take a special hit from a fairy and hit back hard with a sheer force boosted steel or poison move. It also has a plethora of physical moves that it can switch in for better coverage or utility (being pursuit trapper or a revenge killer etc.)
    current Champion of Kalos (just like pretty much everyone else here)

Proud writer for: http://expsharepodcast.com/
    --> check out the EXP.Share Rivalry Challenge to see a way to compete against one of your friends in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Claimed: The volcano camel itself

When in doubt: Gotta Catch'em All!

Druddigon. I love Dragon Types, but Drudd' got a short stick to Fairy Types emerging in Gen VI. It's also got a lot of power to smack things with that stick, though...

Stats:
    -HP - Above Average - Base 77 isn't bad, but isn't spectacular.
    -Attack - Godly - Base 120.
    -Defense - Good - Base 90 is pretty nice for Rough Skin.
    -Sp.Atk - Mediocre - Just...no...Base 60 is nothing to consider with that Base 120 Attack.
    -Sp.Def - Good - Base 90 is nice for the multitude of Special Attacks associated with Ice, Dragon, and Fairy.
    -Speed - Good (Trick Room) - Base 48 barely squeaks under the Base 50 Trick Room border I use. Pretty nice for luring a Sucker Punch or hiding Dragon Tail, too.

Abilities:
    -Rough Skin - Contact with Druddigon hits the attacker for 1/16 Max HP. Not bad, but there are other nice options.
    -Sheer Force - Moves with a chance for secondary effect lose their effect and gain 1/3 Base Power. Fun. Note that this only covers Moves with a non-guaranteed effect - things with guaranteed effects like Bulldoze, Draco Meteor, Superpower, or Power-Up Punch are unaffected.
    -Mold Breaker - Why do I love this Ability so much (besides the obvious anti-Levitate and anti-Sturdy)? It's so fun to screw with an opponent's plans with it!

Overall, Druddigon is a solid tank-n-spank Pokémon with a lot of emphasis on spank. A Movepool of considerable size is also fun, but also consider the added threat of Fairy. Old Moves once left behind (Gunk Shot, Iron Head, etc.) are now popular for these pesky pixies. The only problem I have is that, stat-wise, it's effectively a Dragon-Type Bouffalant or Escavalier with less defense and more offense options. The Movepool coverage helps, but the lower HP is a huge drawback. I like it, though, because it pairs well with other tanks like Bouffalant and Escavalier.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Shuffle Druddigon:
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Rought Skin
    EV: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Att.
    IV: 31 31 31 xx 31 31.
    Item: Leftovers.
    Moves:
    -Dragon Tail
    -Hone Claws
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk

A set that can work due to his amazing bulk and can do lots of damage if enemy is caught unprepared. Stealth rocks, spikes, sticky web are all very welcome to help run this strategy of wearing off enemies team. Dragon Tail shuffles enemies and hone claws help with power and accuracy. When things get bad you can rest off the damage and cure status. Dragon Tail has sweet synergy with Rest, because sleep talk can force an enemy out to prevent them setting up on your sleeping druddigon. Main enemies are the fairy types that kill this set completely. A designated fairy killer is needed to run this Druddigon set.
    In game name: Kace.
    Friend code: 0619 - 4305 - 7533.

Got my shiny Poochyena

Trading my Shiny Chandelure; Timid, Flame Body, xx xx 31 31 31 31m 252 Spa, 252 Speed, 6 HP.
    For a shiny magikarp/gyarados with intimidate or moxie, and at least 4 GOOD IV's. 31 31 31 xx xx 31 preferably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Abilities:
    -Sheer Force - Moves with a chance for secondary effect lose their effect and gain 1/3 Base Power. Fun. Note that this only covers Moves with a non-guaranteed effect - things with guaranteed effects like Bulldoze, Draco Meteor, Superpower, or Power-Up Punch are unaffected.
    Bulldoze is affected by Sheer Force. Moves that cause a secondary effect against the opponent are affected by Sheer Force. Draco Meteor, Superpower, and Power-Up-Punch have no added effect against the opponent and thus aren't.

Druddigon shines best in RU where bulky Rough Skin sets are the most common ones. Leftovers or Rocky Helmet in particular make up about 70% of all item usage on Druddigon, which matches well with Rough Skin's 70% usage as well. Sheer Force sets are typically an afterthought since most of Drudiggon's useful moves aren't affected by the ability outside of Crunch, Fire Punch, Iron Head and Gunk Shot. That said, Sheer Force is still a fantastic ability, and Druddigon is just as solid of a user of it.

I typically run into things like this:

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Att / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Claw
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head / Gunk Shot / Earthquake / Glare

This set works well as a lead, since Druddigon has enough bulk to reliably set up Stealth Rock. Dragon Claw is the preferred STAB due to its reliability, but Outrage is an option for power. Dragon Tail can work, but that works better on a set more devoted to shuffling for Stealth Rock damage rather than a lead set. Sucker Punch is great priority for something so slow, and the last move is filler. Iron Head hits Fairies for reliable super effective damage, while Gunk Shot trades 20% of its accuracy for 40 more base power. Earthquake lets it hits bulky Steel types that otherwise wall it, and Glare is great for being the best move in the game for inflicting paralysis.

Another variation of this set runs Impish with EV's shifted in Defense to turn him into a more defensively inclined set, though the principle is similar.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock

Huh, I was just thinking about this guy last night. Anyway the real main problem with druiddigon is that it just dosen't have the bulk to be a trick room pokemon. While 77/90/90 is fairly good, they don't pair well with its slow speed (A problem it seems to share with both eelektross and braivary) and often leads to it being dealt heavy damage by faster threats. On the plus side it not only has a a great physical attack at 120, but also a movepool that makes use of said attack (Dragon Claw, Outrage, Fire Punch/Fang, Gunk Shot, Poison Tail, Iron Tail, Sucker Punch, Rock Slide, FLing, Smack Down, Earthquake, Return, Superpower, Revenge, Crunch, Night Slash, and Dragon tail). Add to that a few status moves (glare, toxic, taunt, torment, and confide) and couple of phasing options (Dragon Tail and Roar (to phase fairies)) and you have a poke that has the options to be a benifit to it's team mates...So long as they are able to support it aswell (Trick Room support, Wish Support, etc).

Pros:
    +Wonderful 120 attack stat as well a move pool to abuse it
    +Three Great abilities that are able to fill the roles of a bulky attacker quite well
    +Base 90 in both defences is fairly good
    Cons:
    -No access to recovery aside from rest (Drain Punch would have been great for it)
    -It could be slower
    -Base 77 defense is a real problem when you're that slow.

Since the main Sheer Force set has already been mentioned, here's an Assault Vest set .

Druddigon @ Assault Vest
    Ability; Rough Skin Or Sheer Force
    Brave
    236 HP 24 Att 252 Sp Def
    -Sucker Punch
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fire Fang/Fire Punch (Depending on if you can get it)
    -EarthQuake/Gunk Shot/Iron Head/Thunder Punch

Druddigon has enough bulk with assault vest that with the aformentioned ev's it is atleast able to take a life orbed draco meteor from a timid Latios.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 236 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Druddigon: 312-369 (88.1 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

and Salamence

252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 236 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Druddigon: 281-330 (79.3 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for the move set Dragon Claw is for a safe stab, because while outrage is powerful, it is to risky nowadays for a pokemon like druddigon. The choice between Fire Fang or Fire Punch is mainly dependent on if you want to go through the work of breeding one last gen and then sending it up. Either options gives you a way to deal with the ever present steel type (albeit fire fang has less power). Sucker punch it not only there for priority, but also to finish off weakened pokes that have survived your previous hits. The last slot if mainly for coverage as all of those options deal with problem pokes that either resist or are immune to your other moves.

You could also run a rough skin+rocky helmet set with max defense and hp if you want to run a status inducer.

Druddigon@Rock Helmet
    Relaxed
    252 Hp 4 Attack 252 Def
    -Glare
    -Toxic
    -Dragon Tail/Roar
    -Revenge/Incinerate

Basically with this set you're going to be not only tanking physical hits but also spreading status throughout your opponent's team. The reason why I listed roar as an alternate option in the third slot is if you want to roar fairies away. The last slot is either to abuse your bulk and and hit back harder or annoy your opponent by burning their berries. Albeit I'll admit that part with incinerate is both gimicky and situational. But hey it could possibly work with enough prediction and practice.

At the end of the day, Druddigon isn't as good as it should be and hopefully it will get a mega that will give it more bulk. I mean audino is getting one and that might mean something right?

I have claimed Quagsire the king of the marsh!!!

I personally LOVE Druddigon. Maybe cuz I'm crazy 'bout Dragon and Electric Types. :P

Pros:
    -Decently Bulky
    -Hits hard
    -Great Physical Attack
    -Great Movepool
    -Great Abilities

Cons:
    -Pretty Damn Slow
    -Has a good special moveset but not the special attack to use it

Sheer Death
    -Rock Climb/Power-Up Punch/Hone Claws
    -Crunch
    -Rock Slide
    -Dragon Tail/Outrage/Dragon Claw
    Item Attached: Wide Lens/Scope Lens/Life Orb
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP 4 Def Adamant Nature

Other Options:
    Choice Band can really pack a punch.
    If using Hone Claws, hold the Life Orb. Since there's no recoil from it, it helps out all of the moves in this Druddigon set.

Molded Pain
    -Bulldoze/Rock Slide
    -Thunder Fang/Fire Fang
    -Hone Claws/Power-Up Punch
    -Dragon Tail/Outrage/Dragon Claw
    Item Attached: Life Orb/Choice Band
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP 4 Def Adamant Nature

Didn't see that coming (Cuz it's a stupid idea)
    -Flamethrower
    -Dark Pulse/Snarl
    -Flash Cannon/Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast/Draco Meteor
    Item Attached: Life Orb/Choice Specs
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 HP 4 Sp.Def Modest Nature/Calm Nature

Yes, a special set. Not the best special Sheer Force user in the game, but it will DEFINITELY make the opponent confused!
    Check out my YouTube, I do Pokemon and Minecraft stuff!
    - https://www.youtube.com/tmbocheeko -

Also check out my channel with my friends, where we do random stuff!
    - https://www.youtube.com/idiotbrigadelp -

Quote Originally Posted by DasManiac View Post
    Bulldoze is affected by Sheer Force. Moves that cause a secondary effect against the opponent are affected by Sheer Force. Draco Meteor, Superpower, and Power-Up-Punch have no added effect against the opponent and thus aren't.
    Show me Bulldoze on this list:
    http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/sheerforce.shtml

All I can see between Bug Buzz and Confusion are the lines of the table. Also, explain what added effect...let's say Ancientpower, for example...has on an opponent. Bulldoze isn't affected by Sheer Force, but Ancientpower is.

If I'm wrong, though, somebody on the serebii data team needs to fix the Sheer Force page...
    Last edited by Kraleck; 25th August 2014 at 1:54 PM.

WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Bulldoze is affected by Sheer Force, Try it out yourself in game.
    I did, my Sheer Force nido took no damage from Life orb when using it.

Visit my Secret Base and let me know if you enjoyed it

May the Force be With You

Drudiggon
    @ Life Orb (Might as well use Sheer force to its full effect, amirite?)
    Naure: Brave
    252 Attack, 252 HP,, 6 Defense, 0 Speed

-Fire Punch/Bulldoze/Iron Head
    -Rock Slide
    -Crunch (dispenses of Ghosts/Psychics that hopefully don't have Dazzling Gleam lol)
    -Dragon Tail/Dragon Claw

It's actually a bit of a shame there aren't any STAB moves Druddi can use to take advantage of through this ability though. :c
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Show me Bulldoze on this list:
    http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/sheerforce.shtml

All I can see between Bug Buzz and Confusion are the lines of the table. Also, explain what added effect...let's say Ancientpower, for example...has on an opponent. Bulldoze isn't affected by Sheer Force, but Ancientpower is.

If I'm wrong, though, somebody on the serebii data team needs to fix the Sheer Force page...
    Bulldoze is affected by Sheer Force, but it seems it was forgotten when the page was created, so it wasn't your fault. You can see for yourself Sheer Force's description on Bulbapedia.

"Sheer Force does not negate primary effects such as recoil, stat penalty or status condition for the user, increased critical hit rate, moves that never miss, moves that change power, two-turn moves, etc. Sheer Force will, however, negate all secondary effects, such as reducing the target's stats, increasing the user's stats, or causing a status condition to the target."

Ancient Power is an 'increasing the user's stats' move while Bulldoze is a 'reducing the target's stats' move, which are both affected by Sheer Force (though Bulbapedia hasn't added Power-Up Punch to the list). However, moves that reduce the stats of the user Pokémon are not affected; imagine how broken it would be for a Sheer Force Pokémon to spam Overheat or Leaf Storm without being afflicted with the stat drop...
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 27th August 2014 at 5:02 PM.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Just adding to Bulldoze... It has 79 base power so its a significant amount weaker than Earthquake. However it does not take Life Orb recoil so it's at least worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by What does the Dephox say? View Post
    Just adding to Bulldoze... It has 79 base power so its a significant amount weaker than Earthquake. However it does not take Life Orb recoil so it's at least worth considering.
    Basically, Bulldoze is garbage on any Pokemon that learns Earthquake. The only Pokemon that Bulldoze is viable on is Entei since it does not learn Earthquake. Bulldoze's power is so low that even with the boost from Technician, Earthquake is still stronger.
    Last edited by DasManiac; 29th August 2014 at 5:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DasManiac View Post
    Basically, Bulldoze is garbage on any Pokemon that learns Earthquake. The only Pokemon that Bulldoze is viable on is Entei since it does not learn Earthquake. Bulldoze's power is so low that even with the boost from Technician, Earthquake is still stronger.
    Bulldoze has viability with Non-Sheer Force Pokémon to get a Speed advantage, though More Power without effect VS Less Power with Speed debuff often swings in favor of More Power. Sheer Force can't properly compensate that even with Life Orb not kicking in on Bulldoze. Drudd' needs as much punch as it can get with its offense.