Thread: Just Like That (Songfic, Oneshot, AbilityShipping, PG-ish)

Default Just Like That (Songfic, Oneshot, AbilityShipping, PG-ish)

Boy, been a while since I did one of these. Some of the longer-term members might remember my old Super Trouper and Kisses of Fire songfic oneshots from way back, so I decided to do another one with Ash and Anabel.

--------------------------------------------

"Just Like That"
    Lyrics: 1982, Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus

"Good evening, Kanto! And how are you all on this balmy night in our lovely region? I sure hope you're good, and we're gonna help you feel good by spinning four straight hours of the best of the sixties, seventies and eighties across the airwaves!

Our first record tonight is quite the rarity. It's been in a vault since 1982, but finally, its creators have released it to the world! Here's ABBA with their as-yet-unreleased masterpiece, Just Like That!!"

Until that day
    My life had been a river
    Following a safe predestinated course
    Suddenly detouring so unexpectedly
    With uncompromising force

Spotless. Every plate had to be spotless when she had dinner guests.

She'd done this so many times in the past that it became automatic, so Anabel looked up at the window over the sink, allowing the light from the evening's early moon to glisten into her purple hair.

Her shelves were lined with fine china from all around the world, yet, for this appointment, she had brought out her finest, a set she bought from Alamos Town in Sinnoh that was crafted based on designs of the legendary inventor and architecht, Godey.

This was going to be a fateful night for her, indeed.

My strongholds broke down all too easily
    I remember well how he did embarass me
    I hung on to his every smile
    Marvelled at his style

She hadn't expected to see a letter arrive from him after so long. But it did, and he had, in his own innocently clumsy way, invited himself over to her home for dinner that night, saying he had something important to tell her.

"Psh," Anabel said to herself, "I'm sure he's coming with Dawn and he's going to invite me to their wed...."

She frowned, nearly crying at the mere thought of this. Once, long ago when he had come to her Battle Tower at the Tohjo Falls during his Battle Frontier challenge, she'd fallen head-over-heels in love with him. But just like that, he was gone again, seemingly oblivious to her affections.

Just Like That!
    He walked into my house as smug as a cat
    He was handsome and smart
    Walked away with my heart
    Just Like That!

The next time she saw him, she was on vacation in Alamos Town and saw him on TV from her room. He seemed like a completely different person, far more confident than he was when she met him, enough to actually be challenging the Champion League Master of Sinnoh, Cynthia. Not only that, he had a young and cute Pokémon Coordinator named Dawn with him... and she could tell they were an item, dashing all her hopes.

He found a temporary home in my flat
    Telling innocent lies
    Throwing dust in my eyes
    But I led him on
    Knowing that someday soon he'd be gone
    Just Like That!
    As though he'd only stopped a while for a chat
    But my secrets he learned
    Leaving no stone unturned

As she finally finished washing the last of the dishes and began setting them on the already mostly prepared table, she finally took notice of the song on the radio.

"That's just like when he....oh, Ash..." Tears came to Anabel's eyes as the hypnotic melody of the song filled her head with memories of that all-too-brief time she had with him.

And once again
    The river's flowing slowly
    Following its safe and uneventful course
    Now the tears have dried
    It's become a pleasant break
    I recall without remourse

Anabel's reverie didn't last long, however, as a loud knock at the door---accompanied by a quiet scratching---snapped her back into reality.

The moment of truth had arrived.

But now and then I wonder where he is
    And I will admit
    He had something that I miss
    I guess he was a rolling stone
    The only one I've known

Quickly bringing out a match to light the pair of tall, slender candles she'd set out on the table, Anabel hurried to the door, taking only a brief moment to review herself in a mirror before facing Ash and his soon-to-be wife.

Once she had made it to the door, however, Anabel froze with her hand on the knob. Was she ready to face the truth that she'd never be with the one who she had admired for so long, that his heart was already taken?

She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and slowly pulled the heavy wooden door open.

Just Like That!
    Just Like That!

"Hey, Anabel!"

"Pika, pikachu pika!"

Opening her eyes, Anabel immediately gasped.

There stood Ash and his Pikachu...

and no Dawn.

He found a temporary home in my flat
    Telling innocent lies
    Throwing dust in my eyes
    But I led him on
    Knowing that someday soon he'd be gone

"A-Ash?! Where's..."

"Dawn? Oh, she had to go see a friend who was competing in a Pokémon Contest off in Viridian City. It's just the two of us and Pikachu."

"Oh, I'm sorry.. do come in, please."

Just Like That!
    Just Like That!

Anabel quickly ushered her guest to the table and seated him, then released her Espeon for his Pikachu to go off and play with. Taking her own seat, she barely had a chance to blink before he began speaking.

"Is this that song they've been promoting, Just Like That? When I read the words to it, it made me think of you, believe it or not."

"Did he just say....?!?! she thought.

"Anabel? What's wrong?"

"There's something I have to get off my chest, Ash. May I?"

"Sure."

"Ash, ever since that day I first met you, I've kind of....liked you... but I know you came to tell me about you and Dawn, so forget that..."

"Me and Dawn?! Anabel, last week Dawn came out of the closet, she's off on a date with her girlfriend Zoey right now! And you know what else, I came here to tell you that I like YOU and I want you to come with me on my trip to the Battle Zone!"

"You like me?!" The moment this news hit her, Anabel collapsed out of her chair. She didn't actually faint, she'd melted into another reverie of all her dreams... except this time, they were coming true.

Coming true, as the music said, just like that.

Just Like That!

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Hmm, this was a pretty good songfic one-shot. I'm no Abilityshipper, but I'll leave a review for you. =D

I thought your description was used very well. The lyrics of the song fit in with this piece of writing like a puzzle. It's sweet how you made Anabel become nervous, thinking that Ash and Dawn got together. It was pretty suspenseful, so that was great to build up. It made me that much more curious to know what was going to happen next.

The only thing I woul say is to describe both Ash and Anabel more, precisely their looks. Other than that, you did great! The ending was sweet, yet felt that it was a little unfinished. I think it needed Ash's reaction to Anabel for the ending. Other than that, I thought this was a good songfic one-shot. Well done! :3
    For those who'd like to keep in contact, you know where to find me. ♥

Hey, Great Butler! Sorry for the short review but got to study for university finals. Want to at least give a say. ^^ Also, promise to give you the review of your latest XD chapter sometime next Saturday so watch out for that. ^^

I quite like this. Yeah, like Mist said quite like how you compare Anabel's emotions and feelings to the song. Flowed very well. ^^ Also, really found it funny that Ash had to see Dawn out of the closet. Oh, Appealshipping! XD.

I guess the only thing is like Mist said, the end felt a bit unfinished. It's probably because the readers didn't get too much out of Ash's reactions and feelings. I know this story is in Anabel's POV, but probably you could put phsyical indicators for Ash, maybe she's seeing him twitching, taking deep breaths, etc. For instance,

"Ash, ever since that day I first met you, I've kind of....liked you... but I know you came to tell me about you and Dawn, so forget that..."

"Me and Dawn?! Anabel, last week Dawn came out of the closet, she's off on a date with her girlfriend Zoey right now! And you know what else, I came here to tell you that I like YOU and I want you to come with me on my trip to the Battle Zone!"
    In this part, you can put how Ash was laughing when Anabel said about her thinking Ash and Dawn is a couple and then have Anabel confused when he laughed.

Overall, quite a good read and sorry for being critical of the ending. I hope though that my advice was good. ^^;

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

Hey,Great Butler!It a pleasure to meet u,hopefully u are still around and supports abilityshipping.

I quite agree to Mist and Bay comments.If you could add more of Ash reaction
    and something about May,that would be more nice.

Your other abilityshipping fics is better than this.I like when they are still young and not the age going to marry.

Sadly,only 0.01% chance this will happen in the anime.I hope Anabel will meet up with Ash again and express her feeling towards Ash.

Last edited by SalonMaidenAnabel; 7th June 2008 at 7:53 PM.

Although it won an award, I agree that I probably could have done better.

Of course I'm still around, and of course I still support AbilityShipping. I might even write a new one soon.

And I definitely agree that I wish this ship would come to fruition in the anime...

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

I never knew you were an abilityshipper Great Butler! =D

Anyway, I guess I've always wanted to read an abilityshipping fic at least once (don't really support the ship though ^^ But this song fic was cute. And about Dawn coming out of the closet! LMAO, I was surprised you made Ash say it like that xD

Awesome one shot ^_^
    ~*Uza-chan's Good bye*~

IS SUPAH FIIIINE

Never knew I was an AbilityShipper? Come on, I practically FOUNDED it! XD

I enjoyed writing the part about Dawn. Perhaps I should have marked it as part AppealShipping?

Thanks for the kind words ^^

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate