Page 530 of 535 FirstFirst ... 430480520526527528529530531532533534 ... LastLast
Results 13,226 to 13,250 of 13352

Thread: New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    That would be a very... specific origin for a Pokémon?

The "jingling staff" origin is more accurate, but it likely comes from similar staffs carried by Shinto priests, the noise scaring insects and small animals out of their path as they'd walk, to avoid being stepped on.

Is there something that says specifically that Kommo-o was based on Father Damien?
    I think the reasoning behind Father Damien specifically is that he worked in Hawaii. A lot of Generation VII Pokémon are based on animals, plants, and cultural concepts in Hawaii.

I wouldn't be surprised at its specificity either, considering the previous Base 600 non-Legendary, Goodra, is based on the Lou Carcolh, a mythical creature originating in France.

I didn't ask about the reasoning. The reasoning is sound enough. But sound reasoning makes for a good guess - it isn't tantamount to fact. Hence my asking if there was something specific to suggest an origin that specific vs. simply "it's an armored dragon with clanging scales and a tail that resembles a jangling Shinto staff."

Because it is very overly specific to say "it's not just based on a staff like that, it's based on a specific priest who carried a staff like that and did his life's work in Hawaii" without more than a guess to suggest that, however reasonable that guess may be.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Does anyone know the situation with Oranguru and Passimian's hidden abilities? Were they scrapped? i'm not sure this is the right place to ask so forgive me.

Abilities don't get scrapped. Their respective Hidden Abilities simply aren't available right now, common for Pokémon in the first game(s) of their debut generation. A future Generation VII event, game or games will make them available via some means.

-----
    Words to|live by

I do really love what they did on Shinnies this Gen, a lot of the Shinnies were subtle but it works oh so very well, for example something as simple as changing the Litten line from black to white just makes it pop and look great, was the first starter I wanted to MM despite being my third fav from this Gen. Another example Vulpix/Ninetales just having a pinky purple hue makes it look even better. Sometimes Shinnies don't have to be crazy, in my book if it improves on the original design then in my opinion it is a good shiny. The only one I am no super keen on right now is Stufful/Bewear not a fan of that orange, I think pink works better for what they are going for with that line.

Hi there

Just wanted to gripe about something in the game. Sorry if this has already been discussed!

What the heck is up with alolan marowak! So I love the design and decided to raise one to be a false swiper for catching and sos chaining. Looked up the movesets and it evolves at lvl 28 yet learns shadow bone (a pretty powerful ghost move) at lvl 27!? It also learns other fire and ghost moves at lower levels before it can evolve. Doesn't even autolearn anything. This makes no sense! Have to wait till near the end of the game for the move relearner lady. Did GF screw up or are they just being jerks? Seems like a pretty bad screw up! Otherwise enjoying the game.

Alolan Marowak is really good, especially if you have it hold the Stick. This may be their way of keeping it from getting overpowered until near the end of the game.

Then again, Alola puts a few things extremely late into the game, most notably areas to evolve Pokémon. It is kind of annoying, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophie View Post
    Alolan Marowak is really good, especially if you have it hold the Stick. This may be their way of keeping it from getting overpowered until near the end of the game.

Then again, Alola puts a few things extremely late into the game, most notably areas to evolve Pokémon. It is kind of annoying, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
    Lol don't you mean thick club?
    Latest Shiny: (Pokemon Sun, 1/2/2017, 27 SOS Calls)

Current Hunt: none

On hold: (Pokemon HeartGold Badge Quest, 600 SRs)

Yes, I mean the Thick Club. That bone is shaped like a stick though!

I dont think Marowak would be overpowered if it could learn those moves sooner then the move reminder. Well theres always TMs as it can learn shadow ball and fire tms. I think those are all special moves though from TMs and his attack is higher (esp with the stick). Too bad. Probably useful for competitive battling or can raise it late in the game.

This is very random, but I love how Raichu got so much love this Gen. it got an Alolan Form with a unique type, a unique Z-move and a major use by a main character? Yes. I had always felt like Raichu needed more love, and this Gen gave it to us.

Nerdy McNerdface's Chibi Gallery
    Nerdy's Chibi Shop

Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    Makoto is the real villain. Cross spends the whole time trying to warn Ash.
    Pokemon Tano Platinum - A Stat Trainers Story ~ Fanfiction.net Profile ~ Pokemon Shipping Drabbles and One-Shots

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticgrayling View Post
    I dont think Marowak would be overpowered if it could learn those moves sooner then the move reminder. Well theres always TMs as it can learn shadow ball and fire tms. I think those are all special moves though from TMs and his attack is higher (esp with the stick). Too bad. Probably useful for competitive battling or can raise it late in the game.
    I admit that Alolan Marowak is trash until the E4 but it's especially good with Thick Club. I used one to battle against wild Pokémon in Poni Grove and she just destroys them with +2 Shadow Bone or Flame Wheel at only Lv. 37. It has enough bulk to take hits and power to destroy foes. Not only that, it also has Lightningrod, which retains its Electric immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy McNerdface View Post
    This is very random, but I love how Raichu got so much love this Gen. it got an Alolan Form with a unique type, a unique Z-move and a major use by a main character? Yes. I had always felt like Raichu needed more love, and this Gen gave it to us.
    I love Raichu since the beginning but GF never showed love to the Pokémon. I'm glad they added an Alolan form and exclusive Z-Move to Raichu. Even if the game encouraged me to use Pikachu because of tutor Volt Tackle, Catastropika, and guaranteed Light Ball access, it won't stop me from evolving Pikachu into a surfing wonder than is Raichu.

xerxes is offline ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy McNerdface View Post
    Me too! I've always thought that Pichu and Pikachu are alright, but I absolutely love Raichu! Its colour scheme, tail and ears are cooler-looking than the other two's, but at the same time, it's still adorable. It doesn't really get much exposure (heck, not even the in-game trainers use it) because of Pikachu, so I'm super happy about the Alolan Raichu. I've used Raichu in every in-game team where it was available (so... all but gen V?) and the new Alolan form felt very refreshing. :>
    ビビビビィト コンティニューズ!!!(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

latest shiny

DexNav @ 252 encounters

16/01/2017
    [ alpha sapphire ]

current hunt: marine life of hoenn, [moon ball] minior

Quote Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
    Me too! I've always thought that Pichu and Pikachu are alright, but I absolutely love Raichu! Its colour scheme, tail and ears are cooler-looking than the other two's, but at the same time, it's still adorable. It doesn't really get much exposure (heck, not even the in-game trainers use it) because of Pikachu, so I'm super happy about the Alolan Raichu. I've used Raichu in every in-game team where it was available (so... all but gen V?) and the new Alolan form felt very refreshing. :>
    Added to the fact the shiny looks better than the original coloration, and considering that there have been very underwhelming shinies like Cosmog, I feel that just adds to the Alolan Raichu positives. Unrelated, Alolan Raichu is an absolute monster on the battlefield, that thing has ridiculous offensive pressure.

I'm definitely loving the Bugs this Gen. And I hardly ever have them on my team. Maybe once a generation. This gen I got both Golisopod and Chargabug on my team. Right now I'm at vast Poni canyon

If I could get some quick suggestions : Right now im trying to decide whether to level up Charja to 49 to get iron defense or just go and let it evolve while I'm there. It's at 36 right now and really don't know if it's worth it or not to teach iron defense?

Quote Originally Posted by G4Pokefan View Post
    I'm definitely loving the Bugs this Gen. And I hardly ever have them on my team. Maybe once a generation. This gen I got both Golisopod and Chargabug on my team. Right now I'm at vast Poni canyon

If I could get some quick suggestions : Right now im trying to decide whether to level up Charja to 49 to get iron defense or just go and let it evolve while I'm there. It's at 36 right now and really don't know if it's worth it or not to teach iron defense?
    It's up to you. If it's just in-game, I see no reason against it since Vikavolt has decent Defense. On the topic of Bug-types, I was surprised that most of them are actually good not just in-game but competitive as well. Despite its appearance, Araquanid is a surprisingly good mon with Water Bubble. Vikavolt, on the other hand, is quite disappointing (at least its Speed stat) but may be a decent mon when Trick Room is up.

It would seem to me that with Vikavolt's low Speed but monster Special Attack, there's more value in evolving it to Vikavolt sooner as opposed to later, and in engineering it to hit as hard as it can, as soon as it can. Iron Defense on a Pokémon that's going to go second more often than not isn't going to do you a ton of good if you're running the risk of getting OHKO'd or close to it on the first turn, before you can get a shot off. In-game especially, there's no need to waste a spot on Iron Defense when Vikavolt can learn a useful attack like Flash Cannon via TM.

Someone with a better strategic mind than mine might tell you differently, though.

-----
    Words to|live by

Regarding Vikavolt, indeed, boosting Defense on an already slow Pokémon won't do you much good without a healing move, which Vikavolt does not have. Rather, I'd suggest evolving it to Vikavolt and letting it learn Agility at Level 49.

I've crunched the numbers before, as I've been eyeing Vikavolt to use in online battling. While it's extremely unlikely your Vikavolt has the maximum possible Speed, with a +Speed Nature, a perfect IV in Speed, and maximum Effort Points in Speed, after one Agility, Vikavolt can outrun anything base 135 Speed or below provided they don't have Speed boosts. (For reference, the Pokémon with a base 135 Speed are Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny.)

Every pokemon pretty much has a built in healing move when used in-game though.

Of course in regards to this case now pokemon can also get built in iron defence instead of built in harden so yeah, depends on where you want to put your item resources and how much a move slot is worth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophie View Post
    slow Pokémon won't do you much good without a healing move, which Vikavolt does not have.
    Doesn't Vikavolt get Roost via TM?

Whoa, you're right, it can. Maybe I will use it in one of my upcoming teams. I gotta at least finish this current one before I work that one out though.

Anyone else think Game Freak missed a trick not giving Mimikyu multiple forms? It's dressed as another Pokemon - why does it always have to be Pikachu?
    3DS friend code 5300 9905 5901

Quote Originally Posted by venetrix View Post
    Anyone else think Game Freak missed a trick not giving Mimikyu multiple forms? It's dressed as another Pokemon - why does it always have to be Pikachu?
    The lore always states that it dresses up as a Pikachu to gain friends, not other Pokémon. Because of that, it always wears a Pikachu costume and nothing more. Though, I wanted to see it under the cloth in its Busted form but I don't think it would be good for our eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by FowTech95 View Post
    The lore always states that it dresses up as a Pikachu to gain friends, not other Pokémon. Because of that, it always wears a Pikachu costume and nothing more. Though, I wanted to see it under the cloth in its Busted form but I don't think it would be good for our eyes...
    However note how 1) Gamefreak have introduced "regional variants" and the birds of each region are well adapted to them:they are more than aware of how Pokemon may differ biologically from region to region and 2) In some of the regions you can't find Pikachu: Their are Pikachu clones, and they could be more popular in those regions as a result. Since it took Pikachu as its form in Alola, which is specifically mentioned to be quite popular there, it wouldn't be stretch to create forms of other Pikachu clones for each region for Mimikyu to take on. I think it'd be quite interesting. I love the concept of Mimikyu and adding this would just complete the idea for me.

I'd just like to ask a quick question of you all...

+ Awesome water spider design. We get water spiders in this country! Glad to see Gamefreak acknowledging British wildlife.
    + Water Bubble grants IMMUNITY TO BURN and double the power for all water type attacks BEFORE STAB! (mathematically it wouldn't matter, but please, lemme emphasise my point!)
    + Decent bulk.
    + Quick to evolve!
    + Lana uses one <3
    - Poor movepool.
    - Has lots of strong-ish bug STAB attacks, but can only make use of Leech Life effectively.
    - Some people have arachnophobia! :O
    - SLOW :[

+ Awesome isopod design. I'm loving the obscure crustaceans finally getting attention!
    + Utilises both of its STABs well, including priority moves of both types.
    + Has a nice movepool, including some cool coverage options and moves like Swords Dance to make it hit even harder.
    + Nice physical bulk.
    + Guzma uses one!
    - Emergency Exit feels like a hindrance most of time.
    - A 6 ft tall ISOPOD is bloody terrifying! I am scared of spiders but I'd rather run into Araquanid than this thing!
    - A nightmare to train up from Wimpod.
    - SLOW :[

Which of this generation's Water/Bug types do you prefer? I prefer Araquanid myself.
    Last edited by Minedreigon; 16th January 2017 at 11:02 PM.

xerxes is offline ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

Quote Originally Posted by Minedreigon View Post
    Which of this generation's Water/Bug types do you prefer? I prefer Araquanid myself.
    Araquanid. There's just something about spider Pokémon that I love, despite the fact that I absolutely hate spiders in real life. Maybe it's because they're not actually arachnids... I think the lack of a 4th pair of legs really helps lol. On the other hand, I think Golisopod is just weird-looking. idk, there's nothing about its design that I particularly like.
    ビビビビィト コンティニューズ!!!(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

latest shiny

DexNav @ 252 encounters

16/01/2017
    [ alpha sapphire ]

current hunt: marine life of hoenn, [moon ball] minior

Page 530 of 535 FirstFirst ... 430480520526527528529530531532533534 ... LastLast