Page 531 of 531 FirstFirst ... 431481521527528529530531
Results 13,251 to 13,270 of 13270

Thread: New Pokemon Discussion Thread

I really wanted to love the Isopod pokemon (because woodlice are some of the few animals that freak me out in real life ha) but I can't get over it's ability.

So I'd say Aquanid, it's cool and creepy and it sorta looks like an alien from ben 10.
    The Tsareena Steeneya Bounsweeetnova can't be moved to deal with you right now.

Golisopod is easily my favorite non-Legendary, non-Starter Alola Pokemon, also my all-time favorite Bug-Type. I love that thing so much. It has one of the coolest designs I've ever seen in a Pokemon. I was disappointed about it's ability at first too, but after using it in my playthrough, I've found good ways to put it to use.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    I was disappointed about it's ability at first too, but after using it in my playthrough, I've found good ways to put it to use.
    Oh? Okay, any tips on using it effectively?

I'm not usually a big fan of legendaries, but man Tapu Koko is amazing. It is the only legendary to appear at the beginning of the game and it's the first legendary you catch after becoming champion. It is also the best designed Tapu (Tapu Bulu being a close second).

My favorite non-legendary pokemon is probably Rockruff because he's just so dang cute.

My least favorite pokemon is definitely Araquanid. When I first encountered it in Malie Gardens I exclaimed "What is that thing??". Dewpider is ok though
    Most recent shiny!!:

(27 encounters) (1/2/2017)

Previous Shinies!!:

(37 encounters) (1/1/2017)

Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke Hall of Fame

(sadly Typhlosion lost his life to Lance's Level 50 Dragonite.)

Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Oh? Okay, any tips on using it effectively?
    It's not something that I can really explain exactly how to do, but combing Emergency Exit with First Impression in the right ways can be a force to be reckoned with. With Golisopod's high physical attack and speed priority from First Impression, it can one-hit many opponents, especially if said opponents have a weakness to Bug. You've really just got to get used to judging when the right to time to send it in is. If you send it at the right time it will deal some massive damage and then retreat back with Emergency Exit, allowing you to repeat the process. Even better is if you can one-hit the opponent, and call back Golisopod yourself without it taking any damage. To sum it up, you pretty much just develop an instinct on how best to use while playing with it on your team.

Of course, this just for in-game purposes. I have no idea how well Golisopod works for competitive battling.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Quote Originally Posted by jginz1 View Post
    My least favorite pokemon is definitely Araquanid. When I first encountered it in Malie Gardens I exclaimed "What is that thing??". Dewpider is ok though
    Araquanid is surprisingly good despite its appearance. Previous posts explains it all. It's one of the Pokémon I can't wait to raise and use in competitive play.

Quote Originally Posted by venetrix View Post
    Anyone else think Game Freak missed a trick not giving Mimikyu multiple forms? It's dressed as another Pokemon - why does it always have to be Pikachu?
    Mimikyu was created as a gag...it's a terribly lonely Pokémon and wants friends...we know that pikachu gets a "clone" every gen which is generally well-received and popularized in one way or another...mimikyu is therefore a nod to that trend where it tries to be a pikaclone by pretending to be pikachu...what makes this gag hit home though is that we still got a real pikaclone this gen with togedemaru so mimikyu is still left as a hopelessly lonely Pokémon.
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Sun Team:

It's not something that I can really explain exactly how to do, but combing Emergency Exit with First Impression in the right ways can be a force to be reckoned with. With Golisopod's high physical attack and speed priority from First Impression, it can one-hit many opponents, especially if said opponents have a weakness to Bug. You've really just got to get used to judging when the right to time to send it in is. If you send it at the right time it will deal some massive damage and then retreat back with Emergency Exit, allowing you to repeat the process. Even better is if you can one-hit the opponent, and call back Golisopod yourself without it taking any damage. To sum it up, you pretty much just develop an instinct on how best to use while playing with it on your team.

Of course, this just for in-game purposes. I have no idea how well Golisopod works for competitive battling.
    Ah okay, I might try that out when I restart.

And don't worry about competitive, I don't really do that ;-)

The fact that the Eject Button is sometimes used in competitive battling says a lot about how valuable getting a free switch out can be. I haven't used Wimpod or Golisopod myself, so I don't know if you're allowed to pick whom to replace Golisopod, but definitely, a second chance to use First Impression is quite valuable.

Golisopod is also bulky enough to withstand most super-effective attacks, so Emergency Exit is also a good way to escape from a bad match-up and come back later when things are more favorable.

Emergency Exit works quite well with Healing Wish as well: If Golisopod has retreated due to Emergency Exit, and you use Healing Wish later into the match, you can bring Golisopod back as your next Pokémon, and it will get the opportunity to use Emergency Exit again, and potentially a third use of First Impression. Of course, for similar reasons, plain old Wish can work too, but you have to do the actual switching yourself.

For the record, I don't really play competitively either. I play in a kind of weird twilight zone where I use Pokémon regardless of tiers (besides Uber) and I prefer playing in Free Battles because I see a greater variety of opponents there, though I'll take them to Ranked every now and then, where I get a pretty even win-loss ratio. But because of the Pokémon I use, it's very important I know a lot about how to use every Pokémon in the game, because my teams run on "Know your opponents better than they know themselves."

Quote Originally Posted by Ophie View Post
    The fact that the Eject Button is sometimes used in competitive battling says a lot about how valuable getting a free switch out can be. I haven't used Wimpod or Golisopod myself, so I don't know if you're allowed to pick whom to replace Golisopod, but definitely, a second chance to use First Impression is quite valuable.
    You do get to chose who replaces it. I don't think even i would be able to stand using it if something random was brought out in its place.

Golisopod is also bulky enough to withstand most super-effective attacks, so Emergency Exit is also a good way to escape from a bad match-up and come back later when things are more favorable.
    Mine must have had a poor defense stat then, because it seemed like one strong Rock-Type attack would beat it in one hit. It could take almost everything else, but not Rock-Types.

Check it out!

I personally think both Araquanid and Golisopod are cool but I'll have to give the former the edge. I like spiders and it was awesome that we finally got a diving bell spider as a Pokemon! And I personally find Dewpider quite adorable while the line's shiny colors are nice as well!

I'm thinking I like Golisopod better than Araquanid, but I think they're both great designs. Alola did very well with bug pokemon, especially with not having the typical butterfly that sucks. I want to use on a playthrough, might just have an all bug team!

I like Golisopod too, just haven't had a chance to use it yet, only got Wimpod yesterday through trade as I couldn't catch it anymore.

I'm just glad we actually got good, useable, fully evolved Bug/Water Pokémon. Before this gen, I was always unhappy with how a Pokémon with a unique typing evolved into something with a generic typing, leaving it weak. Now Golisopod and Araquanid exist, and while the typing isn't unique anymore, it's still pretty rare and I'm happy about that. It also helps they have decent designs too, only helping the more in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Weavy View Post
    I'm just glad we actually got good, useable, fully evolved Bug/Water Pokémon. Before this gen, I was always unhappy with how a Pokémon with a unique typing evolved into something with a generic typing, leaving it weak. Now Golisopod and Araquanid exist, and while the typing isn't unique anymore, it's still pretty rare and I'm happy about that. It also helps they have decent designs too, only helping the more in my opinion.
    After Kalos they owed us some decent Bug pokemon. Thankfully Alola delivered on that front.

Out the two new Bug/Water types, I like Araquanid more but I think is more than I am more familiar with spiders as opposed to isopods. I still like Golisopod though, it is also quite refreshing that Alola does not stick to the generic "caterpillar, pupa, butterfly/moth" as the early route Bug-type.

Credit to Brutaka for the awesome banner!
    I have claimed Drapion, Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls and Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles.

Quote Originally Posted by lemoncatpower View Post
    I'm thinking I like Golisopod better than Araquanid, but I think they're both great designs. Alola did very well with bug pokemon, especially with not having the typical butterfly that sucks. I want to use on a playthrough, might just have an all bug team!
    I used a Vivillon online all throughout Generation VI, both in Free and Ranked (and in wi-fi competitions too), and it worked out pretty well. They have what I call the Dan Hibiki Effect: People treat Pokémon like Vivillon as jokes and won't take them seriously. Then, when they underestimate these Pokémon and the so-called jokes start doing some real damage, thoughts start arriving in their head that they might actually LOSE to these Pokémon and they get nervous, causing them to become even more careless.

(This was even MORE pronounced in Generation IV when I used none other than Masquerain in double battles. Between Intimidate, being able to learn a variety of types, and two of those moves being Ice Beam and Hydro Pump, my Masquerain probably caught more people off guard than any other Pokémon I've used online.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukuyomi56 View Post
    Out the two new Bug/Water types, I like Araquanid more but I think is more than I am more familiar with spiders as opposed to isopods. I still like Golisopod though, it is also quite refreshing that Alola does not stick to the generic "caterpillar, pupa, butterfly/moth" as the early route Bug-type.
    How familiar are you with diving bell spiders, which are specifically what Dewpider and Araquanid are based on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukuyomi56 View Post
    it is also quite refreshing that Alola does not stick to the generic "caterpillar, pupa, butterfly/moth" as the early route Bug-type.
    I'm not going to say that the variety is bad, I actually like Vikavolt more than most of the early Bug-Types, I do have a gripe with ow they handled its evolving. I've always like the basic bugs giving you early access to third stage Pokemon, and totally assumed that Vikavolt was going to be the same as always when it came to this, but not only does not evolve early, but it is literally impossible to get until you've nearly beaten the game, by which point there are too many Pokemon I want on my team to even consider Vikavolt. I love the fact that they actually made a new Pokemon that evolves in electro-magnetic areas, but having said Pokemon be Vikavolt just ruined a big part of the early game bug for me.

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by FowTech95 View Post
    Araquanid is surprisingly good despite its appearance. Previous posts explains it all. It's one of the Pokémon I can't wait to raise and use in competitive play.
    That is true, but my opinions on Pokemon are not based off of competitive play. For example, Drampa is a great VGC pokemon but I hate it's concept and design.
    Most recent shiny!!:

(27 encounters) (1/2/2017)

Previous Shinies!!:

(37 encounters) (1/1/2017)

Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke Hall of Fame

(sadly Typhlosion lost his life to Lance's Level 50 Dragonite.)

I always have one Celesteela around. It helps that Ice type aren't a problem. I blast them away with Flamethrower. When I'm too slow, I use Autonomize. And K.O with Heavy Slam. And I use Earthquake for Battle Royales.

Page 531 of 531 FirstFirst ... 431481521527528529530531