Page 5 of 523 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 13055

Thread: Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    5,753

    Default

    There is a lot to say, but I have some things I want to write while they are still clear in my mind.

    To begin with... finally a new game pair I can actually look forward to! This is honestly the first new games since B2/W2 that I can look forward to without hesitation. Now I did get OR/AS rather late (compared to when they were released) and I have a lot of things left to do in them, but I am giving S/M priority over them if I shouldn't be able to finish everything. But since the new games won't be released until the end of the year, I think I'm safe.

    As for now, I am assuming the games are going to be Generation 7 since most things are pointing in that direction. And if that's the case, they have a very good chance of becoming my new favorite games and also my new favorite generation. Looking back, I have found the odd generations to be more thoroughly enjoyable than the even ones, I found Gen 1, 3 & 5 more thoroughly enjoyable than Gen 2, 4 & 6. But I will try to keep my expectations low as I don't want to be disappointed. If this pattern continues, Gen 7 will be my new favorite.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Srakaland
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    I don't come here very often lately... But since we've got this big news announced, then I guess it's a good occasion for an old fart that's me to make some useless statements.

    First of all, I must state my disappointment. Yeah, yeah, Maxim always has to complain, no matter what happens. But I'm really annoyed that they decided for a new generation at this moment because of several reasons.

    • Firstly, I think it's too early. I don't really feel the hunger for a new gen, and I really hoped that they'd wait with a new gen for a new console. The fact that they're releasing a new gen this year basically means that we're getting a new generation without much technical progress. A bunch of new Pokemon, only slightly better graphics (because 3DS technology doesn't really allow for more), a bunch of new features/mechanics introduced (which they could've introduced just anytime, they just didn't do that before) and some old features removed. And that's it, folks. Don't expect much more than that.

    • Secondly, because it's 20th Anniversary of Pokemon franchise. The Direct was broadcasted the very day when Red/Green were first released in Japan. So, I really hoped that they would use the opportunity to release something that has to do with the anniversary and that respects the 20 years of Pokemon's history. Even the leak talked about a "20th anniversary game" (whatever that could be), so I had my hopes up for something more original and unexpected. Not a new gen, which could be announced and released just ANYTIME. And it also makes the entire anniversary very disappointing, as it brought us only the VC releases (which aren't a big thing to me, also they were pretty expected) and a bunch of useless merch. Shame, shame...

    • Thirdly (is this a word?), because there was still much to do with Generation VI. We've got Zygarde Forms and AZ's Floette that will now go to the trashcan. After one set of mildly disappointing games and a set of badly disappointing remakes, the feeling of incompleteness in this gen is very strong. It lacks a finishing touch, which could be done in one game. That would be enough to redeem this gen in my eyes. But no, Gen VI is gonna stay a half-baked thing forever.


    So yeah, I just can't be happy with the announcement of Sun/Moon. As for the third point, I know that there is a group of people that believe that S/M is gonna take place in a region based on Southern France, and be a sequel to XY in a similar vein to GSC, which was a sequel to RGBY. Of course, this is not impossible... but I'm not seeing this. The way how they cut Gen VI short probably means that they want us to forget it. They're probably as dissatisfied with it as the fans are, so I'm sure that they will want to move on.

    As for my expectations/predictions about the new gen, I don't really have any. I never have any expectations for new gens, as I don't really know what to expect. I may have (and do have) clear expectations for sequels of remakes, but in the case of new gens - their very purpose is to be fresh and surprising. Any prediction about a new gen (especially at this stage) is a total shoot in the dark, so it's even better not to have any expectations, in order not to be negatively surprised. And I'm rarely excited about new gens in general (the last gen I really waited for was Gen IV - because we were all already fed up with Gen III by then, and because the time between the uncovering of first Gen IV Pokemon and details was tremendously long. As for newer gens, I feel that all of them popped up in the wrong moment - just when I started liking the then-current generation), so I don't really care much for what they'll do in S/M. I'm completely cold about it. I'll just wait and see as they are released, if I think they're nice, then nice. But I'm definitely NOT joining the pre-release hype train.

    However, there is one aspect of the new games that does "grind my gears", namely the new language version. It's a really interesting thing, since this will mean a lot of new official names of game stuff (e.g. consistent Chinese names of moves and items), and it will be really interesting to compare them with the names previously used in the Chinese-language anime and printed media (which are not always consistent). Pokemon names are actually established, so they shouldn't pose a problem, but I have one pet peeve about this. Namely, the previously-released Pokemon media in Chinese were available in both Mandarin (Traditional in Taiwan, Simplified in Mainland China) and Cantonese in HK, with the latter having different Pokemon names (some are identical, some differ). Since the games differentiate only between Traditional and Simplified characters, this means that they will be available only in Mandarin. This means that Hong Kong gets the Mandarin version as well. It is not that much of a problem, because written Mandarin is taught and mostly understood in Hong Kong (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong). But this means that Hong Kong will get Mandarin Pokemon names now. So, does it mean that Cantonese Pokemon names are lost to the world, and that Cantonese anime dub will now start to use Mandarin names pronounced Cantonese way, for the sake of consistency with the games (which would be a loss, and would probably be confusing to those familiar with old Cantonese dub - even Pikachu's name is a bit different), or will they just not care and continue using Hong Kong names for old Pokemon? This is certainly a dilemma to be answered (I just hope they don't cancel Cantonese dub completely, because it would be a great loss. Also, spoken Mandarin and Cantonese are quite different, so a dub is needed). But nonetheless, I'm glad that every new thing will get Mandarin name now, without relying on non-game media.

    Also, I wonder if more language versions will await us in the future. I won't be surprised if we get a Russian version of Gen VIII, which will be quite cool to me, because I speak Russian.

    But going back to the games themselves, if I had to state some of my possible bets, they'd be as follows:
    • A whole lot of new Pokemon. Yeah, one of the problems with Gen VI to most fans was the small amount of new Pokemon (which I don't agree with. I think it was one of the BEST aspects of Gen VI, to be honest), so now they're gonna change it. Prepare for a motherload of new Pokemon, most of which probably low-quality. Also, expect a Sinnoh amount of Legendaries/Mythicals.
    • Megas won't be a "big thing" anymore. Of course, they will stay in the game, but won't be a central element of the game's plot (as they were in Gen VI). Therefore, there will be rather few new Megas, mostly of Gen V and VI Pokemon.
    • Some old Pokemon (a mix of generations) will be available in the new region (I doubt they'll pull a BW in this aspect, also - the revealed arts strongly suggest that old Pokemon are there), but majority of catchable mons will be new ones. Because of VC-RGBY compatibility, there probably won't be many Gen I Pokemon in the new region.
    • Probably not many references to older regions (so as not to confuse the Chinese fans, who aren't familliar with them [even though they are, because of the anime/merch/print media and Japanese versions of the games...]), I think the new region will be kinda isolated from the others (especially if that Hawaii theory is true), in a similar way to BW Unova, and most of the references to older gens will be mostly cute little nods, similar to these in XY.
    • Time to introduce some new PokeBalls. Really, it's been a while...
    • Likely no new PokeGear-like accessory this time (similarly to two previous gens), there may be some tool for the Wi-Fi connections, though.
    • No seasons. Period.
    • Character customization will likely stay (but still without the revolutionary option to take off your hat...). PokeAmie may be changed into something "similar but different".
    • Either no Contest-like sidequest, or one that nobody cares about.
    • Trainer VS artworks gone (sadly), replaced with (likely low-quality) 3D models.
    • No Dark Gym.


    So, that's it. I don't know what more could I mention... and as I said, it's better not to expect anything. Riding the hype train can only get you more disapointed.

    Tl;dr, I know.
    Last edited by Maxim; 27th February 2016 at 4:51 PM.
    I don't come here as often as I used to, do I?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    I don't come here very often lately... But since we've got this big news announced, then I guess it's a good occasion for an old fart that's me to make some useless statements.

    First of all, I must state my disappointment. Yeah, yeah, Maxim always has to complain, no matter what happens. But I'm really annoyed that they decided for a new generation at this moment because of several reasons.

    • Firstly, I think it's too early. I don't really feel the hunger for a new gen, and I really hoped that they'd wait with a new gen for a new console. The fact that they're releasing a new gen this year basically means that we're getting a new generation without much technical progress. A bunch of new Pokemon, only slightly better graphics (because 3DS technology doesn't really allow for more), a bunch of new features/mechanics introduced (which they could've introduced just anytime, they just didn't do that before) and some old features removed. And that's it, folks. Don't expect much more than that.

    • Secondly, because it's 20th Anniversary of Pokemon franchise. The Direct was broadcasted the very day when Red/Green were first released in Japan. So, I really hoped that they would use the opportunity to release something that has to do with the anniversary and that respects the 20 years of Pokemon's history. Even the leak talked about a "20th anniversary game" (whatever that could be), so I had my hopes up for something more original and unexpected. Not a new gen, which could be announced and released just ANYTIME. And it also makes the entire anniversary very disappointing, as it brought us only the VC releases (which aren't a big thing to me, also they were pretty expected) and a bunch of useless merch. Shame, shame...

    • Thirdly (is this a word?), because there was still much to do with Generation VI. We've got Zygarde Forms and AZ's Floette that will now go to the trashcan. After one set of mildly disappointing games and a set of badly disappointing remakes, the feeling of incompleteness in this gen is very strong. It lacks a finishing touch, which could be done in one game. That would be enough to redeem this gen in my eyes. But no, Gen VI is gonna stay a half-baked thing forever.


    So yeah, I just can't be happy with the announcement of Sun/Moon. As for the third point, I know that there is a group of people that believe that S/M is gonna take place in a region based on Southern France, and be a sequel to XY in a similar vein to GSC, which was a sequel to RGBY. Of course, this is not impossible... but I'm not seeing this. The way how they cut Gen VI short probably means that they want us to forget it. They're probably as dissatisfied with it as the fans are, so I'm sure that they will want to move on.

    As for my expectations/predictions about the new gen, I don't really have any. I never have any expectations for new gens, as I don't really know what to expect. I may have (and do have) clear expectations for sequels of remakes, but in the case of new gens - their very purpose is to be fresh and surprising. Any prediction about a new gen (especially at this stage) is a total shoot in the dark, so it's even better not to have any expectations, in order not to be negatively surprised. And I'm rarely excited about new gens in general (the last gen I really waited for was Gen IV - because we were all already fed up with Gen III by then, and because the time between the uncovering of first Gen IV Pokemon and details was tremendously long. As for newer gens, I feel that all of them popped up in the wrong moment - just when I started liking the then-current generation), so I don't really care much for what they'll do in S/M. I'm completely cold about it. I'll just wait and see as they are released, if I think they're nice, then nice. But I'm definitely NOT joining the pre-release hype train.

    However, there is one aspect of the new games that does "grind my gears", namely the new language version. It's a really interesting thing, since this will mean a lot of new official names of game stuff (e.g. consistent Chinese names of moves and items), and it will be really interesting to compare them with the names previously used in the Chinese-language anime and printed media (which are not always consistent). Pokemon names are actually established, so they shouldn't pose a problem, but I have one pet peeve about this. Namely, the previously-released Pokemon media in Chinese were available in both Mandarin (Traditional in Taiwan, Simplified in Mainland China) and Cantonese in HK, with the latter having different Pokemon names (some are identical, some differ). Since the games differentiate only between Traditional and Simplified characters, this means that they will be available only in Mandarin. This means that Hong Kong gets the Mandarin version as well. It is not that much of a problem, because written Mandarin is understood in Hong Kong (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong). But this means that Hong Kong will get Mandarin Pokemon names now. So, does it mean that Cantonese Pokemon names are lost to the world, and that Cantonese anime dub will now start to use Mandarin names pronounced Cantonese way, for the sake of consistency with the games (which would be a loss, and would probably be confusing to those familiar with old Cantonese dub - even Pikachu's name is a bit different), or will they just not care and continue using Hong Kong names for old Pokemon? This is certainly a dilemma to be answered (I just hope they don't cancel Cantonese dub completely, because it would be a great loss. Also, spoken Mandarin and Cantonese are quite different, so a dub is needed). But nonetheless, I'm glad that every new thing will get Mandarin name now, without relying on non-game media.

    Also, I wonder if more language versions will await us in the future. I won't be surprised if we get a Russian version of Gen VIII, which will be quite cool to me, because I speak Russian.

    But if I had to state some of my possible bets, they'd be as follows:
    • A whole lot of new Pokemon. Yeah, one of the problems with Gen VI to most fans was the small amount of new Pokemon (which I don't agree with. I think it was one of the BEST aspects of Gen VI, to be honest), so now they're gonna change it. Prepare for a motherload of new Pokemon, most of which probably low-quality. Also, expect a Sinnoh amount of Legendaries/Mythicals.
    • Megas won't be a "big thing" anymore. Of course, they will stay in the game, but won't be a central element of the game's plot (as they were in Gen VI). Therefore, there will be rather few new Megas, mostly of Gen V and VI Pokemon.
    • Probably not many references to older regions (so as not to confuse the Chinese fans, who are unfamilliar with them [even though they are familliar, because of the anime/merch/print media and Japanese versions of the game...]), I think the new region will be kinda isolated from the others, in a similar way to BW Unova, and most of the references to older gens will be mostly cute little nods, similar to these in XY.
    • Time to introduce some new PokeBalls. Really, it's been a while...
    • Likely no new PokeGear-like accessory this time (similarly to two previous gens), there may be some tool for the Wi-Fi connections, though.
    • No seasons. Period.
    • Character customization will likely stay (but still without the revolutionary option to take off your hat...). PokeAmie may be changed into something "similar but different".
    • Either no Contest-like sidequest, or one that nobody cares about.
    • Trainer VS artworks gone (sadly), replaced with (likely low-quality) 3D models.
    • No Dark Gym.


    So, that's it. I don't want what more could I mention... and as I said, it's better not to expect anything. Riding the hype train can only get you more disapointed.

    Tl;dr, I know.
    New record for most negative expectations of a game with almost no information revealed.

    Black Lives Matter

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Big Blue
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Also, I wonder if more language versions will await us in the future. I won't be surprised if we get a Russian version of Gen VIII, which will be quite cool to me, because I speak Russian.
    Well, Singapore and Poland are also markets they are serious about, so translation efforts for those countries will likely be established, once they have a serious local branch, and not some local distributors they have contracted with.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..

    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Srakaland
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf View Post
    Well, Singapore and Poland are also markets they are serious about, so translation efforts for those countries will likely be established, once they have a serious local branch, and not some local distributors they have contracted with.
    Being Polish myself, I would be really pleased to have a Polish version of Pokemon games someday in the future. The problem with Poland, however, is that Nintendo seems to be considered a "hipster" (and kinda passe) thing here. I don't even see Nintendo games in shops here, they're available mostly on the Internet. So, they've got much to do here. But it's not impossible, they'd just have to put some effort and money.

    As for Singapore, things seem simplier because they speak mostly English and Chinese there, so the translation is already ready, so it's a matter of distribution. For some (probably licensing) reason, South Asian countries use a different, red-colored Pokemon logo. I wonder if a Singaporean distribution would use that logo? It'd be certainly interesting.
    Last edited by Maxim; 27th February 2016 at 2:44 PM.
    I don't come here as often as I used to, do I?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Procasti-nation
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokeBroKing View Post
    New record for most negative expectations of a game with almost no information revealed.
    I know right? Even for just a speculations thread some are going OTT.


    IMΔGINE | DREΔM | CREΔTE

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    7th Gen
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    I don't come here very often lately... But since we've got this big news announced, then I guess it's a good occasion for an old fart that's me to make some useless statements.

    First of all, I must state my disappointment. Yeah, yeah, Maxim always has to complain, no matter what happens. But I'm really annoyed that they decided for a new generation at this moment because of several reasons.

    • Firstly, I think it's too early. I don't really feel the hunger for a new gen, and I really hoped that they'd wait with a new gen for a new console. The fact that they're releasing a new gen this year basically means that we're getting a new generation without much technical progress. A bunch of new Pokemon, only slightly better graphics (because 3DS technology doesn't really allow for more), a bunch of new features/mechanics introduced (which they could've introduced just anytime, they just didn't do that before) and some old features removed. And that's it, folks. Don't expect much more than that.

    • Secondly, because it's 20th Anniversary of Pokemon franchise. The Direct was broadcasted the very day when Red/Green were first released in Japan. So, I really hoped that they would use the opportunity to release something that has to do with the anniversary and that respects the 20 years of Pokemon's history. Even the leak talked about a "20th anniversary game" (whatever that could be), so I had my hopes up for something more original and unexpected. Not a new gen, which could be announced and released just ANYTIME. And it also makes the entire anniversary very disappointing, as it brought us only the VC releases (which aren't a big thing to me, also they were pretty expected) and a bunch of useless merch. Shame, shame...

    • Thirdly (is this a word?), because there was still much to do with Generation VI. We've got Zygarde Forms and AZ's Floette that will now go to the trashcan. After one set of mildly disappointing games and a set of badly disappointing remakes, the feeling of incompleteness in this gen is very strong. It lacks a finishing touch, which could be done in one game. That would be enough to redeem this gen in my eyes. But no, Gen VI is gonna stay a half-baked thing forever.


    So yeah, I just can't be happy with the announcement of Sun/Moon. As for the third point, I know that there is a group of people that believe that S/M is gonna take place in a region based on Southern France, and be a sequel to XY in a similar vein to GSC, which was a sequel to RGBY. Of course, this is not impossible... but I'm not seeing this. The way how they cut Gen VI short probably means that they want us to forget it. They're probably as dissatisfied with it as the fans are, so I'm sure that they will want to move on.

    As for my expectations/predictions about the new gen, I don't really have any. I never have any expectations for new gens, as I don't really know what to expect. I may have (and do have) clear expectations for sequels of remakes, but in the case of new gens - their very purpose is to be fresh and surprising. Any prediction about a new gen (especially at this stage) is a total shoot in the dark, so it's even better not to have any expectations, in order not to be negatively surprised. And I'm rarely excited about new gens in general (the last gen I really waited for was Gen IV - because we were all already fed up with Gen III by then, and because the time between the uncovering of first Gen IV Pokemon and details was tremendously long. As for newer gens, I feel that all of them popped up in the wrong moment - just when I started liking the then-current generation), so I don't really care much for what they'll do in S/M. I'm completely cold about it. I'll just wait and see as they are released, if I think they're nice, then nice. But I'm definitely NOT joining the pre-release hype train.

    However, there is one aspect of the new games that does "grind my gears", namely the new language version. It's a really interesting thing, since this will mean a lot of new official names of game stuff (e.g. consistent Chinese names of moves and items), and it will be really interesting to compare them with the names previously used in the Chinese-language anime and printed media (which are not always consistent). Pokemon names are actually established, so they shouldn't pose a problem, but I have one pet peeve about this. Namely, the previously-released Pokemon media in Chinese were available in both Mandarin (Traditional in Taiwan, Simplified in Mainland China) and Cantonese in HK, with the latter having different Pokemon names (some are identical, some differ). Since the games differentiate only between Traditional and Simplified characters, this means that they will be available only in Mandarin. This means that Hong Kong gets the Mandarin version as well. It is not that much of a problem, because written Mandarin is understood in Hong Kong (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong). But this means that Hong Kong will get Mandarin Pokemon names now. So, does it mean that Cantonese Pokemon names are lost to the world, and that Cantonese anime dub will now start to use Mandarin names pronounced Cantonese way, for the sake of consistency with the games (which would be a loss, and would probably be confusing to those familiar with old Cantonese dub - even Pikachu's name is a bit different), or will they just not care and continue using Hong Kong names for old Pokemon? This is certainly a dilemma to be answered (I just hope they don't cancel Cantonese dub completely, because it would be a great loss. Also, spoken Mandarin and Cantonese are quite different, so a dub is needed). But nonetheless, I'm glad that every new thing will get Mandarin name now, without relying on non-game media.

    Also, I wonder if more language versions will await us in the future. I won't be surprised if we get a Russian version of Gen VIII, which will be quite cool to me, because I speak Russian.

    But if I had to state some of my possible bets, they'd be as follows:
    • A whole lot of new Pokemon. Yeah, one of the problems with Gen VI to most fans was the small amount of new Pokemon (which I don't agree with. I think it was one of the BEST aspects of Gen VI, to be honest), so now they're gonna change it. Prepare for a motherload of new Pokemon, most of which probably low-quality. Also, expect a Sinnoh amount of Legendaries/Mythicals.
    • Megas won't be a "big thing" anymore. Of course, they will stay in the game, but won't be a central element of the game's plot (as they were in Gen VI). Therefore, there will be rather few new Megas, mostly of Gen V and VI Pokemon.
    • Some old Pokemon (a mix of generations) will be available in the new region (I doubt they'll pull a BW in this aspect, also - the revealed arts strongly suggest that old Pokemon are there), but majority of catchable mons will be new ones. Because of VC-RGBY compatibility, there probably won't be many Gen I Pokemon in the new region.
    • Probably not many references to older regions (so as not to confuse the Chinese fans, who aren't familliar with them [even though they are, because of the anime/merch/print media and Japanese versions of the games...]), I think the new region will be kinda isolated from the others (especially if that Hawaii theory is true), in a similar way to BW Unova, and most of the references to older gens will be mostly cute little nods, similar to these in XY.
    • Time to introduce some new PokeBalls. Really, it's been a while...
    • Likely no new PokeGear-like accessory this time (similarly to two previous gens), there may be some tool for the Wi-Fi connections, though.
    • No seasons. Period.
    • Character customization will likely stay (but still without the revolutionary option to take off your hat...). PokeAmie may be changed into something "similar but different".
    • Either no Contest-like sidequest, or one that nobody cares about.
    • Trainer VS artworks gone (sadly), replaced with (likely low-quality) 3D models.
    • No Dark Gym.


    So, that's it. I don't know what more could I mention... and as I said, it's better not to expect anything. Riding the hype train can only get you more disapointed.

    Tl;dr, I know.
    Amazing how much negativity one can expect about something that only has the names revealed.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    In a not announced region.
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Well since the NX is coming this or next year (more likely this year), I predict this generation to last 3 years maximum and being the bridge generation between two systems like Gen V. Two releases max, that mean another game after. Gen IV remakes on the 3DS are not very likely, but more likely than a sequel now, after what happened yesterday. Maybe Sun&Moon are the only games in this generation and a 2 years generation happening for the first time.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    I wish the logos hadn't been leaked a day early. Honestly, that day we had to speculate threw us into a premature speculation phase which I believe is the reason so many still insist 6.5 is a thing.

    Black Lives Matter

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,363

    Default

    To those who feel it is to early for a new generation I can understand. But I think we also have to consider the kids and younger generation.

    To us, a few years ago was just yesterday, but to the kids it wasn't so soon. And things are different then when I was a kid, everything is more fast paced now, the gaming market much more competitive. Things come and go very fast, Pokémon has to keep up with that. It's also why the games are easier now, specifically for the kids with shorter attention spans of this generation. So, personally, I think it was a smart decision, even if it seems sudden to a veteran like me. But when I think about it, it isn't. You are all entitled to your opinion though, not really trying to change your mind or tell you you're wrong just want to give some food for thought.
    Last edited by .Aerodactyl.; 27th February 2016 at 6:06 PM.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Off to Alola!
    Posts
    423

    Default

    I don't feel it is too early for a new Generation. There has always been a gap between generations for approx. 3 years.

    Banner made by me.(With my epic paint skills)
    Current Status Sarefan:

    • Trials Completed: 0
    • Exploring Alola and training my Team
    • Current team: Rowlett, Grubbin.
    "A champion is someone who gets up when he can't.
    Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat..."
    -- Sarefan

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    I don't come here very often lately... But since we've got this big news announced, then I guess it's a good occasion for an old fart that's me to make some useless statements.

    First of all, I must state my disappointment. Yeah, yeah, Maxim always has to complain, no matter what happens. But I'm really annoyed that they decided for a new generation at this moment because of several reasons.

    • Firstly, I think it's too early. I don't really feel the hunger for a new gen, and I really hoped that they'd wait with a new gen for a new console. The fact that they're releasing a new gen this year basically means that we're getting a new generation without much technical progress. A bunch of new Pokemon, only slightly better graphics (because 3DS technology doesn't really allow for more), a bunch of new features/mechanics introduced (which they could've introduced just anytime, they just didn't do that before) and some old features removed. And that's it, folks. Don't expect much more than that.

    • Secondly, because it's 20th Anniversary of Pokemon franchise. The Direct was broadcasted the very day when Red/Green were first released in Japan. So, I really hoped that they would use the opportunity to release something that has to do with the anniversary and that respects the 20 years of Pokemon's history. Even the leak talked about a "20th anniversary game" (whatever that could be), so I had my hopes up for something more original and unexpected. Not a new gen, which could be announced and released just ANYTIME. And it also makes the entire anniversary very disappointing, as it brought us only the VC releases (which aren't a big thing to me, also they were pretty expected) and a bunch of useless merch. Shame, shame...

    • Thirdly (is this a word?), because there was still much to do with Generation VI. We've got Zygarde Forms and AZ's Floette that will now go to the trashcan. After one set of mildly disappointing games and a set of badly disappointing remakes, the feeling of incompleteness in this gen is very strong. It lacks a finishing touch, which could be done in one game. That would be enough to redeem this gen in my eyes. But no, Gen VI is gonna stay a half-baked thing forever.


    So yeah, I just can't be happy with the announcement of Sun/Moon. As for the third point, I know that there is a group of people that believe that S/M is gonna take place in a region based on Southern France, and be a sequel to XY in a similar vein to GSC, which was a sequel to RGBY. Of course, this is not impossible... but I'm not seeing this. The way how they cut Gen VI short probably means that they want us to forget it. They're probably as dissatisfied with it as the fans are, so I'm sure that they will want to move on.

    As for my expectations/predictions about the new gen, I don't really have any. I never have any expectations for new gens, as I don't really know what to expect. I may have (and do have) clear expectations for sequels of remakes, but in the case of new gens - their very purpose is to be fresh and surprising. Any prediction about a new gen (especially at this stage) is a total shoot in the dark, so it's even better not to have any expectations, in order not to be negatively surprised. And I'm rarely excited about new gens in general (the last gen I really waited for was Gen IV - because we were all already fed up with Gen III by then, and because the time between the uncovering of first Gen IV Pokemon and details was tremendously long. As for newer gens, I feel that all of them popped up in the wrong moment - just when I started liking the then-current generation), so I don't really care much for what they'll do in S/M. I'm completely cold about it. I'll just wait and see as they are released, if I think they're nice, then nice. But I'm definitely NOT joining the pre-release hype train.

    However, there is one aspect of the new games that does "grind my gears", namely the new language version. It's a really interesting thing, since this will mean a lot of new official names of game stuff (e.g. consistent Chinese names of moves and items), and it will be really interesting to compare them with the names previously used in the Chinese-language anime and printed media (which are not always consistent). Pokemon names are actually established, so they shouldn't pose a problem, but I have one pet peeve about this. Namely, the previously-released Pokemon media in Chinese were available in both Mandarin (Traditional in Taiwan, Simplified in Mainland China) and Cantonese in HK, with the latter having different Pokemon names (some are identical, some differ). Since the games differentiate only between Traditional and Simplified characters, this means that they will be available only in Mandarin. This means that Hong Kong gets the Mandarin version as well. It is not that much of a problem, because written Mandarin is taught and mostly understood in Hong Kong (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong). But this means that Hong Kong will get Mandarin Pokemon names now. So, does it mean that Cantonese Pokemon names are lost to the world, and that Cantonese anime dub will now start to use Mandarin names pronounced Cantonese way, for the sake of consistency with the games (which would be a loss, and would probably be confusing to those familiar with old Cantonese dub - even Pikachu's name is a bit different), or will they just not care and continue using Hong Kong names for old Pokemon? This is certainly a dilemma to be answered (I just hope they don't cancel Cantonese dub completely, because it would be a great loss. Also, spoken Mandarin and Cantonese are quite different, so a dub is needed). But nonetheless, I'm glad that every new thing will get Mandarin name now, without relying on non-game media.

    Also, I wonder if more language versions will await us in the future. I won't be surprised if we get a Russian version of Gen VIII, which will be quite cool to me, because I speak Russian.

    But going back to the games themselves, if I had to state some of my possible bets, they'd be as follows:
    • A whole lot of new Pokemon. Yeah, one of the problems with Gen VI to most fans was the small amount of new Pokemon (which I don't agree with. I think it was one of the BEST aspects of Gen VI, to be honest), so now they're gonna change it. Prepare for a motherload of new Pokemon, most of which probably low-quality. Also, expect a Sinnoh amount of Legendaries/Mythicals.
    • Megas won't be a "big thing" anymore. Of course, they will stay in the game, but won't be a central element of the game's plot (as they were in Gen VI). Therefore, there will be rather few new Megas, mostly of Gen V and VI Pokemon.
    • Some old Pokemon (a mix of generations) will be available in the new region (I doubt they'll pull a BW in this aspect, also - the revealed arts strongly suggest that old Pokemon are there), but majority of catchable mons will be new ones. Because of VC-RGBY compatibility, there probably won't be many Gen I Pokemon in the new region.
    • Probably not many references to older regions (so as not to confuse the Chinese fans, who aren't familliar with them [even though they are, because of the anime/merch/print media and Japanese versions of the games...]), I think the new region will be kinda isolated from the others (especially if that Hawaii theory is true), in a similar way to BW Unova, and most of the references to older gens will be mostly cute little nods, similar to these in XY.
    • Time to introduce some new PokeBalls. Really, it's been a while...
    • Likely no new PokeGear-like accessory this time (similarly to two previous gens), there may be some tool for the Wi-Fi connections, though.
    • No seasons. Period.
    • Character customization will likely stay (but still without the revolutionary option to take off your hat...). PokeAmie may be changed into something "similar but different".
    • Either no Contest-like sidequest, or one that nobody cares about.
    • Trainer VS artworks gone (sadly), replaced with (likely low-quality) 3D models.
    • No Dark Gym.


    So, that's it. I don't know what more could I mention... and as I said, it's better not to expect anything. Riding the hype train can only get you more disapointed.

    Tl;dr, I know.
    I support you completely and although it is very negative considering that we have only the names of the next games with nothing and the rest is speculation does not take away the spine of the sixth generation or rather the region of Kalos completely missed. I think the crisis of Nintendo if you hit hard because since 2010 that the Big N tended not to sales that were expected; the Wii was in decline Surprise yourself in sales since that year, the Wii U was a commercial failure, the portable console 3DS is less sold on the company hsitoria among others. I think that's why the fifth generation hard 3 years and now repeated with the sixth. Finally, just a personal and awaiting more information in the coming months about new games opinion, but I really hope that somehow give a worthy close to Kalos.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Road to Alola
    Posts
    852

    Default

    So I guess it looks like its time for Gen 7. And from those few screenshots, it looks like there's gonna be quite a few new elements! The Bank thing was also pretty cool, more of an incentive now! I feel like I kinda set my self up for disappointment expecting ingame trailer, but wow those concepts look pretty good and I'm pretty hyped now. Also, the fact that the titles were leaked hurt this Direct since that's basically all they had to show. However, looking back, XY showed much more in January, and its the end of Feb when they are announcing Gen 7 with essentially concept art. Maybe they learned from XY's little gap.

    With 3DS sales slowing down and it being a 5 year old handheld now with rumors of the next handheld coming in 2016, I have to wonder if Nintendo and Gamefreak wanted to do a Twilight Princess thing here, where Pokemon SM will be on 3DS and the next handheld.

    Going back to Kalos right now, I don't know why they made XY so incomplete if they knew they weren't going to go back to these games, I mean thats the only reason why people even wanted Z. The third version was hopefully going to use the potential XY had laid out. Unless, they have a plan to revisit Kalos in Gen 7 a la Johto and Kanto and flesh it out that way.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotKU View Post
    So I guess it looks like its time for Gen 7. And from those few screenshots, it looks like there's gonna be quite a few new elements! The Bank thing was also pretty cool, more of an incentive now! I feel like I kinda set my self up for disappointment expecting ingame trailer, but wow those concepts look pretty good and I'm pretty hyped now. Also, the fact that the titles were leaked hurt this Direct since that's basically all they had to show. However, looking back, XY showed much more in January, and its the end of Feb when they are announcing Gen 7 with essentially concept art. Maybe they learned from XY's little gap.

    With 3DS sales slowing down and it being a 5 year old handheld now with rumors of the next handheld coming in 2016, I have to wonder if Nintendo and Gamefreak wanted to do a Twilight Princess thing here, where Pokemon SM will be on 3DS and the next handheld.

    Going back to Kalos right now, I don't know why they made XY so incomplete if they knew they weren't going to go back to these games, I mean thats the only reason why people even wanted Z. The third version was hopefully going to use the potential XY had laid out. Unless, they have a plan to revisit Kalos in Gen 7 a la Johto and Kanto and flesh it out that way.
    What amazes me is it seems like GameFreak has chopped off a year of development for the core titles; I'm not sure if it's because they have a much bigger staff now or simply the fact that they have so much experience making games currently that they don't need to release a core title every 4 years, but rather 3. I am not sure if this is a good thing, as it means things remain incomplete, but as you said, Sun and Moon may have you revisit Kalos again.

    FC: 1118-0736-6254
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Emolga, Helioptile and Zebstrika

    Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    Town Name: Aspiria
    Villager Name: Mike
    Fruit: All (including bamboo)
    Villagers: Sylvia, Pinky, Mallary, Dizzy, Phil, Graham, Cobb, Mott, Drago and Skye

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Walked into GAME today, which was packed. Picked up the download codes for Yellow, Red and Blue, as well as the Pikachu and Mewtwo amiibo (it's the 20th Anniversary, so why not?).

    Started talking to the cashier (who very kindly gave me Mew codes for both my OR and X games), who hadn't seen the Direct but had heard the news about Sun and Moon. They're already taking Ł5 deposits towards pre-orders.

    Quote Originally Posted by King Shuckle View Post
    What amazes me is it seems like GameFreak has chopped off a year of development for the core titles; I'm not sure if it's because they have a much bigger staff now or simply the fact that they have so much experience making games currently that they don't need to release a core title every 4 years, but rather 3. I am not sure if this is a good thing, as it means things remain incomplete, but as you said, Sun and Moon may have you revisit Kalos again.
    Already been stated around the forums, but probably not in this thread. GAMEFREAK had two different teams working throughout Gen VI, on XY and ORAS respectively. Most likely thing is that the XY team have been developing Sun and Moon since the release of XY (if not before then).

    Quote Originally Posted by DotKU View Post
    So I guess it looks like its time for Gen 7. And from those few screenshots, it looks like there's gonna be quite a few new elements! The Bank thing was also pretty cool, more of an incentive now! I feel like I kinda set my self up for disappointment expecting ingame trailer, but wow those concepts look pretty good and I'm pretty hyped now. Also, the fact that the titles were leaked hurt this Direct since that's basically all they had to show. However, looking back, XY showed much more in January, and its the end of Feb when they are announcing Gen 7 with essentially concept art. Maybe they learned from XY's little gap.

    With 3DS sales slowing down and it being a 5 year old handheld now with rumors of the next handheld coming in 2016, I have to wonder if Nintendo and Gamefreak wanted to do a Twilight Princess thing here, where Pokemon SM will be on 3DS and the next handheld.

    Going back to Kalos right now, I don't know why they made XY so incomplete if they knew they weren't going to go back to these games, I mean thats the only reason why people even wanted Z. The third version was hopefully going to use the potential XY had laid out. Unless, they have a plan to revisit Kalos in Gen 7 a la Johto and Kanto and flesh it out that way.
    3DS prices are at an all time low. We had BW2 released on a console that was 8 years old at the time...I expect similar enhancements like those from Gen IV to Gen V here (C-stick to change camera angle anyone?). It must also be noted that Nintendo does not own the Pokémon Company or GAMEFREAK. Nintendo can be viewed as important partners at this point, but are technically only publishers of the franchise.
    Last edited by hydrosharp_98; 27th February 2016 at 9:27 PM.
    Pokéballing since 2001

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mystery Dungeon World
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotKU View Post
    With 3DS sales slowing down and it being a 5 year old handheld now with rumors of the next handheld coming in 2016, I have to wonder if Nintendo and Gamefreak wanted to do a Twilight Princess thing here, where Pokemon SM will be on 3DS and the next handheld.
    I really don't think they should do something like that, and I doubt that the decrease of 3DS sales has anything to do with anything. The system already has plenty of sales, and it basically just appears to be a BW situation here.

    Quote Originally Posted by King Shuckle View Post
    What amazes me is it seems like GameFreak has chopped off a year of development for the core titles; I'm not sure if it's because they have a much bigger staff now or simply the fact that they have so much experience making games currently that they don't need to release a core title every 4 years, but rather 3. I am not sure if this is a good thing, as it means things remain incomplete, but as you said, Sun and Moon may have you revisit Kalos again.
    Every generation has lasted every 3-4 years, so I don't think there's much of a difference. I do feel like Zygarde will be included in the plot of these games somehow

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Road to Alola
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrosharp_98 View Post
    3DS prices are at an all time low. We had BW2 released on a console that was 8 years old at the time...I expect similar enhancements like those from Gen IV to Gen V here (C-stick to change camera angle anyone?). It must also be noted that Nintendo does not own the Pokémon Company or GAMEFREAK. Nintendo can be viewed as important partners at this point, but are technically only publishers of the franchise.
    But the 3DS install base is also significantly smaller than the DS. I know Nintendo doesn't own The Pokemon Company, but with the 3DS's rough launch, I think Nintendo would try to avoid the same mistake by getting one of its biggest partners to their next game as a launch title.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotKU View Post
    But the 3DS install base is also significantly smaller than the DS. I know Nintendo doesn't own The Pokemon Company, but with the 3DS's rough launch, I think Nintendo would try to avoid the same mistake by getting one of its biggest partners to their next game as a launch title.
    Main series Pokémon games have NEVER before been launch titles, and there's no reason for them to start that now. We still have little idea as to what the NX is (at the very least it's a console that is replacing the Wii U), and it would make zero sense for Pokémon to Zelda TP this.

    It's one thing for Nintendo to do this with Zelda Wii U. It would be a completely different thing if hypothetically Pokémon released on two different generations of consoles - which will not be happening anytime in the foreseeable future. The NX isn't even announced yet, nor do we know anything other than what "leaks" have to tell us.
    Pokéballing since 2001

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fallout 4
    Posts
    6,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotKU View Post
    So I guess it looks like its time for Gen 7. And from those few screenshots, it looks like there's gonna be quite a few new elements! The Bank thing was also pretty cool, more of an incentive now! I feel like I kinda set my self up for disappointment expecting ingame trailer, but wow those concepts look pretty good and I'm pretty hyped now. Also, the fact that the titles were leaked hurt this Direct since that's basically all they had to show. However, looking back, XY showed much more in January, and its the end of Feb when they are announcing Gen 7 with essentially concept art. Maybe they learned from XY's little gap.

    With 3DS sales slowing down and it being a 5 year old handheld now with rumors of the next handheld coming in 2016, I have to wonder if Nintendo and Gamefreak wanted to do a Twilight Princess thing here, where Pokemon SM will be on 3DS and the next handheld.

    Going back to Kalos right now, I don't know why they made XY so incomplete if they knew they weren't going to go back to these games, I mean thats the only reason why people even wanted Z. The third version was hopefully going to use the potential XY had laid out. Unless, they have a plan to revisit Kalos in Gen 7 a la Johto and Kanto and flesh it out that way.
    They wouldn't alienate the fanbase like that, they'd wait for the next gen before going to the next console. Which could be a good 2-3 years after Sun/Moon, and that's if a new handheld is even out.
    And Pokemon Bank kinda keeps us on the 3DS thankfully.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    And Pokemon Bank kinda keeps us on the 3DS thankfully.
    Bank also seems to be something they're interested in keeping for multiple generations of games, potentially across an ecosystem of Nintendo systems.
    Pokéballing since 2001

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Procasti-nation
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    I'm guessing this game is going to be for the New Nintendo 3DS only?


    IMΔGINE | DREΔM | CREΔTE

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Insane View Post
    I'm guessing this game is going to be for the New Nintendo 3DS only?
    N3DS, 3DS and 2DS.
    POKÉMON MOON | IGN: VITTORIA | 3DS FC: XXXX - XXXX - XXXX


  23. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Insane View Post
    I'm guessing this game is going to be for the New Nintendo 3DS only?
    No it isn't. It will be for all 3DS systems, including the New Nintendo 3DS.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,067

    Default

    I just realised something. Gen 1 had Red, Blue and Yellow. Gen 2 had Gold, Silver and Crystal. Gen 3 had Ruby, Sapphire, Firered, Leafgreen and Emerald. Gen 4 had Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. Gen 5 had Black, White, Black 2 and White 2. Gen 6 had X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Every two generations have the same amount of games (internationally since Green was Japan only). Gen 1 and gen 2 had three games. Gen 3 and gen 4 had 5 games. Gen 5 and Gen 6 had 4 games. Seems like a pattern going on.

    Also the DS shared gen 4 and gen 5 games. Gen 6 and the most likely gen 7 games are on the 3DS. This is pretty interesting.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
    I just realised something. Gen 1 had Red, Blue and Yellow. Gen 2 had Gold, Silver and Crystal. Gen 3 had Ruby, Sapphire, Firered, Leafgreen and Emerald. Gen 4 had Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. Gen 5 had Black, White, Black 2 and White 2. Gen 6 had X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Every two generations have the same amount of games (internationally since Green was Japan only). Gen 1 and gen 2 had three games. Gen 3 and gen 4 had 5 games. Gen 5 and Gen 6 had 4 games. Seems like a pattern going on.

    Also the DS shared gen 4 and gen 5 games. Gen 6 and the most likely gen 7 games are on the 3DS. This is pretty interesting.
    The final point you make has been pointed out numerous times, but the pattern for game numbers between generations is rarely mentioned. Though, I think it is rather trivial and likely represents the nature of technology as a whole, in regards to advances leading to fewer games in a shorter space of time and so on.
    Pokéballing since 2001

Page 5 of 523 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •