Thread: Community POTW #129

Default Community POTW #129

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this coming week the RNG spat out another classic

It's Bellossom, the Johto evolution of Gloom. Bellossom is a bit different to its Kanto counterpart in how it's used. With an increase in Defense in X & Y, it's more usable than it was 3 years ago

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/182.shtml

Go nuts

Bellossom is really, really cute, but it really isn't that good. When I pull up Smogon and the first sentence in its synopsis is "Bellossom is totally outclassed in any possible role by the plethora of better Grass-types in the metagame", it's not a promising start. Being pure Grass, Bellossom has a myriad of weaknesses, and unlike its sister Vileplume, it doesn't have Poison to help it against the rise of Fairies. Moreover, there are tons of Grass-types that can pull off what Bellossom can do better. It does at least have some decent defenses and the usual Grass onslaught, but don't bring it anywhere except the lowest tiers.

Chlorophyll doubles Bellossom's Speed in sunlight. This is a Grass-type classic, and as long as the sun is out Bellossom is fairly competent at doing stuff considering its low Speed.
    Hidden Ability (Available): Healer gives Bellossom a 30% chance of healing an adjacent teammates every turn. This is useless in Singles and extremely situational in Doubles and Triples, and Bellossom isn't even any good in those formats. Always use Chlorophyll.

Bellossom's only usable set is based on the sun being out, so use it on a low-tier sun team. Solar Beam is its most powerful attack, and it requires the sun to be shining bright to work properly. Moonblast provides some good coverage against Dragon-types that resist Solarbeam (Resisted Solar Beam outdamages Moonblast except when the latter is super effective). Sleep Powder can shut down a potential counter. Lastly, there is Hidden Power Fire for Grass and Steel-types or Hidden Power Rock for Fire-types. Give it a Life Orb and a Modest nature, and invest as much as possible in Speed and power to compensate for Bellossom's average Sp. Attack. Remember that it is outsped by basically every Choice Scarf user, however.

Countering Bellossom:
    Fire-types are the big ones, as they resist Bellossom's entire onslaught aside from HP Rock, and that won't even OHKO them. Specially bulky Pokemon can tank Bellossom very well due to it having only average Sp. Attack. Common Choice Scarf Pokemon like Sawsbuck or the speedy Ninjask outrun Bellossom even with the sun up and can destroy it. Changing the weather away from sun will severely cripple Bellossom.

Bellossom is basically Exeggutor, but slightly weaker, and more defensive. It's still awfully slow, but this is remedied somewhat by Chlorophyll.

Positives:
    + 75 / 95 / 100 bulk is actually pretty good, and though the Grass type does have a myriad of weaknesses, it can still stand up to a few hits.
    + Special Attack is respectable at Base 90.
    + Its poor Base 50 Speed is remedied somewhat by Chlorophyll, giving it a maximum of 224 Speed at Level 50, out speeding most unboosted, non-scarfed Pokemon out there.

Negatives:
    - It's a Grass type, meaning it has 5 weaknesses to Fire, Flying, Poison, Bug and Ice.
    - Lest you run Hidden Power Fire, Bellossom can be easily walled by Pokemon like Ferroseed/Ferrothorn and other Steel types.
    - Completely outclassed by Roselia, Vileplume, Exeggutor and other Grass sweepers.
    - Very poor type coverage.
    - Having to rely on the Sun to be fast allows you to be obliterated by Fire types.
    - Can still be outsped by faster Choice Scarf users, such as Sawsbuck.

Abilities:
    Chlorophyll: Doubles Speed in Sun. A decent enough ability that works well on any Pokemon, and Bellossom is no real exception. Just watch out for Fire types.
    Healer: At the end of the turn, there is a 30% chance of either Ally being healed from a status condition. This is an ability that works only in Doubles and Triples, but Bellossom isn't very good there anyway.

Moveset:
    Solar Beam
    Sleep Powder
    Hidden Power Fire
    Moonblast

EV's: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    Item: Life Orb
    Modest Nature
    Ability: Chlorophyll.

This set kinda starts digging to the bottom of the barrel for Bellossom's movepool. It learns a million Grassand Normal type moves, but not much of anything else.
    I think you can agree that the team below is at least semi-unique.
    ORAS IGN: Chiny

Quote Originally Posted by Chinonso View Post
    Bellossom is basically Exeggutor, but slightly weaker, and more defensive.
    The difference is that Exeggutor was once amazing, while Bellossom has been useless since its inception and there's no sign of this changing in the immediate future.

When your highest base stat is just a paltry 100, and there's a dozen other grass types who pull off Chlorophyll better than you do, it's really hard to justify using Bellossom over literally anything else. It's got some interesting moves that don't really help it (i.e., Moonblast, Drain Punch, etc.), and even with the sun up its paltry base 80 attack and base 90 special attack don't really make it all that threatening. Couple that with an abysmal speed tier and you've got yourself an all-around lackluster Pokemon. Kind of a shame, really.
    SMod, One of the writers for the PotW, and someone you'll be hearing from often if you fail to read the rules

Take a moment, remind yourself
    To take a moment and find yourself

Bellossom is an unfortunate story. Its inception was in the same generation as the introduction of steel types, which still handle it just fine. Its stats were not that far removed from Vileplume's, but it lacked its alternate evolution's better typing. With each generation, Bellossom suffered more and more blows. In Gen 3, it got an ability, Chlorophyll...which paired terribly with its stats. Gen 4 introduced new threats and moves, such as the improvement of flying types thanks to Brave Bird. Gen V gave it a Hidden Ability...which was worse than Chlorophyll. And finally, Gen 6 axed permanent weather. I'm not even sure a Mega Evolution could save it by now.

On a somewhat positive note, Bellossom does get Moonblast, which you can pair with HP Ground for great (but low-powered) coverage. I'd say to go with HP Fire every time, but that's better for higher tiers, and barring the absence of sleep clause, you should never bring Bellossom into higher tiers.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

Bellossom is unfortunately bad at everything. It's one of the few Pokemon that's like that, I'd say. But, if I were to expect anything from it, it'd be a Special attacking set, so I guess you could run this odd set on it to throw people off-

Bellawesome (not really)
    Heat Rock/Focus Sash, 252 Speed and Attack, Jolly, Chlorophyll

Drain Punch
    Leaf Blade
    Sunny Day
    Swords Dance

Bellossom's base speed is trash, so you basically need Sunny Day up to sweep. If it dies before getting in a Swords Dance, at least it got a Sunny Day up. Drain Punch and Leaf Blade are its only good physical moves (not counting Petal Blizzard and Seed Bomb), but they're not bad, as Drain Punch provides good coverage and heals a bit and Leaf Blade has a 25% critical hit chance and is a strong STAB. This is still going to be really hard to pull off, though, so if I'd either use something else with speed to use this set or try to predict an opponent's switch and set up on that turn.

Even compared to threats like Thundurus and Eelektross, Bellossom can and will devastate an unprepared trainer. How many "S"s and "L"s does it have? Is it spelt with a "U" or an "O"? Heck you might totally forget it because its evolutionary line is in Kanto. I'll admit I've lost precious seconds to this thing in the pokemon typing challenge on Sporcle.

In battle though, Bellossom outclassed at pretty much everything by better grass types. Other chlorophyll users such as the quiver dancing lilligant, the bulkier Tangela with eviolite and regenerator and Roselia with its poison stab and eviolite can all do practically everything Bellossom can do besides moonblast. Its barely worth mentioning Oddish either as it is similarly outclassed by bulbasaur and bellsprout in little cup. Furthermore even with an eviolite Gloom's pitiful 60 HP makes it incredibly frail. So lets look at Bellossom in metagame where it might get some use through its hax and terrible speed, VGC 2016.

VGC 2016: Unbelievabell
    Bellossom @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Healer
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Teeter Dance
    - Gastro Acid
    - sleep powder/stun spore
    - Protect

This Bellossom is designed for a trick room team and basically is a discount whimsicott. Like most whimsicotts, if you are careful, can suppress the abilities of the common threats such as the weather trio and otherwise annoy the titans that dominate VGC. However unlike whimsicott, Bellossom is less weak to poison and can carry teeter dance, and with max sp.def Bellossom will always barely live one ice beam from +1 Max Sp. Attack Modest Primal Kyogre. Is this worth giving up prankster whimsicott? Probably not, but its about as good as I can scrape from the bottom of this barrel.
    Last edited by Aduro; 12th April 2016 at 2:29 AM.

Bellossom is a sad case. Whilst it might possibly be able to pull out a decent defensive set in a vacuum, such a set is almost completely outclassed by Roselia, whilst offensive variants have Weepinbell to contend with. Anyway, here's what I think might be a decent (or at least as close as Bellossom can get to decent) option...

Bloomin' outclassed
    Bellossom@Leftovers
    -Moonlight/Synthesis
    -Sleep Powder
    -Leech Seed/Stun Spore
    -Giga Drain
    Ability:Chlorophyll
    252 Hp/ 252 SDef/ 4 Def
    Calm Nature

Meh. Maybe it could work on the fact that it's not as weak to Ground or Psychic like Roselia, hence walling things like Grumpig and Marowak better, or the fact that it doesn't rely one Eviolite. Still not very good and I wouldn't recommend it, but if you really love Bellossom, then maybe you could try it. Synthesis and Moonlight are literally the same move, and they both heal you, so either is usable. Sleep Powder cripples a foe, and allows you to support your team against something you can't hurt. Stun Spore paralyses a foe and synergizes well with Sleep Powder, whilst Leech seed provides passive recovery and wears other walls down. Giga Drain gives you some offensive presence, as well as providing yet more recovery. The EVs and nature are for walling with Bellossom's higher defensive stat, whilst the item helps this. You could probably run a Physically defensive spread to better wall Golem and Marowak if you felt like it. Agian, this is basically so that a) if you reeaally like Bellossom then you have some more ideas and b) so that this week's POTW has one more set, not actually because it's especially good.
    Last edited by The Umbreon Tamer; 14th April 2016 at 10:07 PM.

Just a few lil' guys who I feel are underappreciated or that I just like.

Quote Originally Posted by The Umbreon Tamer View Post
    . Synthesis and Moonlight are literally the same move, and they both heal you, so either is usable.
    Go with Synthesis because no pokemon has imprison and synthesis. You may think that's incredibly pedantic, but maybe one day you'll run into a Musharna or Sableye with imprison and moonlight and your bellossom will save the day with synthesis!
    Last edited by Aduro; 14th April 2016 at 10:33 PM.

With this singles tournament coming up, this may be a set Bellossom could try:

Bellossom:
    -Solar Beam
    -HP Fire
    -Sunny Day
    -Dazzling Gleam/Sludge Bomb/Nature Power
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

I won't lie, this set is pretty bad and probably wouldn't work, but it's worth a try :/ Anyway, with Sunny Day up, it gets a maximum of 224 speed with a Timid Nature and 204 with Modest. Personally, I would use Modest nature, simply because so many people will be using Choiced Pokémon, and many will try Choice Scarf on their team members. With the extra speed, in this case, it does nothing to outspeed and land KOs on Scarfed mons. Therefore, I believe that a Modest nature will help break through walls that may threaten Bellossom. Solarbeam is just a powerful STAB with no setup under the sun and will do heaps to walls who do not resist it or are VERY specially defensive (you're screwed against Eviolite Chansey). HP Fire is for many that resist Grass moves, such as Steel, and damage is increased under the sun. Dazzling Gleam is for coverage against Dragons, and Sludge Bomb is for Fairies and to potentially help wear down opponents with the chance of poison. Finally, Tri Attack (Nature Power) can help with its chance to paralyze, burn, or freeze opponents, thus making the wallbreaking job easier (though if you want to get a powerful STAB Tri Attack/Nature Power wall breaker, try Refrigerate Aurorus)

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    Go with Synthesis because no pokemon has imprison and synthesis. You may think that's incredibly pedantic, but maybe one day you'll run into a Musharna or Sableye with imprison and moonlight and your bellossom will save the day with synthesis!
    Or it'll just get wrecked because it's a terrible Pokemon anyways.

Bellossom is just awful. With only a single stat hitting the base 100 mark (and that stat being Special Defence...), a rather poor monoGrass typing, and a rather shallow movepool, he has basically no redeeming factors. If you're going to use this thing, you're basically playing with 5 Pokemon. If I was absolutely forced to use this thing I'd probably run some sort of pseudo-Sun sweeper with Solarbeam / HP Fire / Sunny Day / Synthesis. Don't expect to do much of anything with this, because you won't.

All in all, don't use Bellossom. There's just nothing this thing can do to save it from being a useless pile of trash that's outclassed by almost any other Grass type.