Thread: Community POTW #135

Default Community POTW #135

Time for the next Pokémon, this week we have one of my personal favourite Bug-types from Unova

Galvantula has a few flaws, but it's capable of doing a great deal.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/596.shtml

Go nuts

Ah yes, Sticky We--I mean, Galvantula, one of my all-time favorite leads. This thing is great, and quite a boon to many offense-based teams. That brilliant 108 base Speed is just enough to outpace most leads you'd ever see, so with a Focus Sash, you're pretty much guaranteed a chance to set up Sticky Web and another move on top of that. Gotta love this thing.

Shocking Spider
    Item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
    EVs/Nature: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, Timid nature
    Ability: Compoundeyes
    - Sticky Web
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Energy Ball / Giga Drain / Thunder Wave

This set is designed for UU, but I've occasionally used the Focus Sash version successfully in OU/BSS. The crux of this set is Sticky Web; using it will grant you excellent speed control, a great benefit for your offensive teams and a great hindrance to opposing offensive teams. You can use this set as a lead with Focus Sash or a special attacker with Life Orb, but the Focus Sash lead works better in higher tiers. From there, it's a matter of choosing three good attacks. Galvantula has good STAB coverage, and it gets to use Thunder reliably thanks to Compoundeyes. After that, a Grass-type move gets the best additional coverage most of the time, hitting Ground and Rock for decent damage. If you're running a lead, use Energy Ball for damage, but Life Orb sets need Giga Drain for the recovery. Or, you can just skip the extra coverage and go with Thunder Wave, it's a good way to cripple the enemy on the way out. The EVs, nature, and ability for these sets are fairly self explanatory: max Speed with positive nature to outpace faster threats up to the speed tie with Infernape, max Special Attack to hit hard, Compoundeyes for the accurate Thunders, and 4 Special Defense EVs just to spite Download users.

Sticky Web is a great support tool for an offensive team, turning things that are just a hair too slow into great sweepers. Wallbreakers really appreciate the speed advantage too; Mega Charizard Y can have a field day with Sticky Web up. In UU, this tactic makes Swords Dance Haxorus an absolutely terrifying sweeper. I've actually used this same tactic to make Mega Garchomp surprisingly useful in OU/BSS despite its speed loss from the standard form. However, there is a slight catch; Galvantula will probably only set up Sticky Web once. It's too frail to go multiple times, so watch for hazard removers on your foe's team. If you want a Sticky Web setter that might work twice, try Shuckle instead.

Galvantula has several flaws, of course; it's usually considered UU for a reason. For one, it's frail, so even neutral hits are risky. It also can't really handle hazard removers. That weakness to Fire, one of the most common coverage move types, is no great shakes either. Its typing removes several of its weaknesses, but instead Galvantula has few resistances, so bringing it in safely outside of a lead is a chore. Specially bulky threats can shrug off most of its attacks easily enough, although Water types must be wary of Thunder. Defensive and stall teams don't mind speed drops much. Oh, and of course, Flying-types and Levitate users are immune to Sticky Web anyway. Still, never underestimate Galvantula, because it can cripple a team with a well-timed move or two.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

In my opinion, Galvantula is more 'niche' than an actual 'solid' Pokemon, but there are times when Galvantula can be extremely helpful in battle:

Positives:
    + Galvantula was blessed in Gen 6 with Sticky Web, allowing for a Speed drop to any Pokemon that enters the field on the opposing team. Not that Galvantula is slow, but it helps out with other Pokemon on your team that are hard hitters, but not the fastest movers.
    + Base 108 Speed is a great, as it can hit reasonably fast and can get off a Sticky Web (usually) before the opponent in battle.
    + Base 97 Special Attack is decent, and can land Thunders with respectable damage.
    + Compoundeyes removes the annoyance of missing strong attacks, and allows for more accurate Thunders.

Negatives:
    - With the exception of being able to land Sticky Webs, Zapdos pretty much outclasses it.
    - 70 / 60 / 60 bulk usually means that it can't survive a super-effective hit without the need of a Focus Sash.
    - It just doesn't have much to set itself apart from other Electric-types (like Zapdos and Heliolisk) other than the fact that it can set up a Sticky Web and land almost perfectly accurate Thunders.

Abilities:
    Compoundeyes: Raises the Pokemon's accuracy by 30%. This means that Thunder becomes 91% accurate (and not 100%, as it's 70 x 1.3 and not 70 + 30). Pretty useful without the need for Rain set up.
    Unnerve: The opponent Pokémon will never use their held Berry while the Pokémon is in battle. Decent, but situational, as few Pokemon really use berries.
    Swarm: When HP is below 1/3rd its maximum, power of Bug-type moves is increased by 50%. Focus Sash sets like this ability as you can use the buff for all of one turn, but wither way, you should probably just stick to Compoundeyes.

Moveset:
    Sticky Web
    Thunder
    Bug Buzz
    Energy Ball

EV's: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
    Item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
    Ability: Compoundeyes
    Modest / Timid Nature
    I think you can agree that the team below is at least semi-unique.
    ORAS IGN: Chiny

The Not-So-Itsy-Bitsy Spider
    Galvantula@Fous Sash/Life Orb
    Timid nature
    Compound Eyes
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
    ~Sticky Web
    ~Thunder
    ~Bug Buzz
    ~Giga Drain/Energy Ball

Galvantula was always among the batch of really good Bug-types Generation V gave us, and Generation VI has only made it better, giving it a new toy to play with in the form of Sticky Web. Not only is Galvantula a fearsome sweeper, it's now also a way to support the rest of the team. Thunder and Bug Buzz are for STAB, the former working well with Galvantula's Ability. Last slot is for extra coverage- I personally go with Giga Drain to heal off the Life Orb recoil, but Energy Ball has that extra kick to it you might find more attractive, so really, it's up to you.

Item either gives Galvantula a guaranteed shot at Sticky Web or powers up its attack- basically up to you. Ability makes Thunder much more accurate.

Other options:
    *Galvantula gets Volt Switch, which would be decent enough on a Specs or Scarf set, but... it wouldn't really play to Galvantula's strengths. A choice set doesn't leave much room to use Sticky Web.
    *If you can find room for it, Charge Beam is an interesting option to pick off weakened enemies and potentially nab a Special Attack boost. Situational, yes, but it has its uses.
    *There's also Gastro Acid, in case you think a particular opponent's Ability is just too much to deal with or... something. I dunno, this is more or less filler at this point, I've already covered the best Galvantula has to offer.
    *Oh, yeah- Hidden Power, that's a thing.
    *And I suppose Rain Dance is an option, considering any other form of weather doesn't do Thunder any favors.

Abilities:
    *Compound Eyes: Galvantula's attacks are 30% more accurate than usual. This is the Ability you want on your Galvantula, no question. Compound Eyes Thunder is why it was considered really good even before Sticky Web was a thing. 91% accuracy on that Thunder? Hell, yes!
    *Unnerve: When Galvantula is out on the field, any opposing Pokémon are unable to make use of their held berries. Ehhh... OK, I won't deny, denying enemies their berries can be good... but it's still really damn situational, and even if it wasn't, Compound Eyes is just better.
    *Swarm: Galvantula's Hidden Ability. When Galvantula's HP is below a third of its maximum, its Bug moves become 50% more powerful. Not a bad Ability by any means- it'd work well with a Focus Sash and Bug Buzz- but yeah, you still want Compound Eyes. Compound Eyes basically trumps everything on Galvantula.

Partners:
    You want ways of dealing with anything that's got Drought, Snow Warning, or Sand Stream. Any weather effect other than rain will royally screw over Galvantula's Thunder. Also, y'know how I sometimes say a Pokémon would appreciate Sticky Web support? Galvantula is that Sticky Web support. Pair it with those things.

Counters:
    Ninetales can pretty much switch in with impunity- it resists Bug Buzz and whichever Grass move you choose, and its Drought nerfs Thunder. It's gonna be slower than Galvantula even without Sticky Web, but those Fire moves are going to hurt no matter what, and there's not much Galvantula can do about it other than switch the hell out. Also, Zebstrika makes a decent switch-in, considering it can be immune to either Electric or Grass- just having it show up in team preview can make for some serious mind games with a Galvantula Trainer.

Opinion:
    Galvantula is awesome, deserving of any praise it gets. Cool concept, great Ability, nice looks, what's not to like?

Prediction for next week:
    Dewgong.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 6 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 13 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade. Vote Missingno. for new SSB4 fighter!

Fizzy Bubbles info

I'm gonna say it: DON'T USE THIS THING IN OU. Webs is a bad playstyle there due to the extreme ubiquity of Rapid Spinners, Defog, Contrary Serperior, Magic Bouncers and Defiant Bisharp, and even if the opponent doesn't pack any of those things, chances are that your opponent will just lead with Mega Lopunny and KO you. There's also Taunters like Thundurus to worry about, and the fact that even if you do manage to avoid all those things, not many OU-viable Pokemon can really take advantage of Webs in the first place. On top of all that, if you really must use Webs in OU, then just use Shuckle, which has a better matchup in OU due to the ability to hold Mental Herb and not just dying to a sneeze. In terms of Specially-attacking Electrics, there's always better options in the form of Thundurus, Mega Manectric and Raikou.

In UU, though, there aren't too many Pokemon that can prevent Galvantula from Webbing up, so it is actually viable. There aren't many Pokemon that get dual priority, and no Fake Out users are faster than the spider, so it's almost guaranteed to get Webs up. Both the Magic Bouncers (Espeon and Mega Absol) can't switch in due to a Bug weakness. Prankster Taunt Sableye and Whimsicott are a problem though, and it's good to pack a Ghost to block Rapid Spin.

EDIT:Oh, and also:
    Ninetales can pretty much switch in with impunity
    Also, Zebstrika makes a decent switch in
    Neither of those are viable in UU or OU, and Drought is banned in UU. A better switch in would be HP Fire Magneton or maybe Arcanine in UU, and Magnezone or Heatran in OU.
    Last edited by The Umbreon Tamer; 23rd May 2016 at 4:18 PM. Reason: Forgot that Electric resists Bullet Punch becuase I'm stupid

Just a few lil' guys who I feel are underappreciated or that I just like.