Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Johto Pokémon

Like the Gen I ones, I would put my top 5 which would be something like this :

1. Tyranitar : Johto Region Pseudo-legend and the best offensive pokemon in this region, save for some legendary.. It's design is the best in the Gen II, not to mention dark type is pretty rare back then which would make a positive addition for it..

2. Kingdra : The only Dragon type in the region which also pretty unique by itself, given that it's half water type which means it doesn't have ice-type weakness that most dragon type have.. It's stats is also perfectly balanced which made it pretty easy to use..

3. Typhlosion : My favorite starter of Johto Region mainly because of its speed and Sp.Attack stats which would make a great combination of my in-game tactic..

4. Espeon : Basically the same reason with Typhlosion, only this time Espeon is actually has a really high speed and Sp.Attack although the drawback is it's defense become pretty low.. Aside from that, it's also one of my favorite Eeveelution because it's type..

5. Noctowl : The "regional bird" of Johto region.. It's an unique normal/flying pokemon that capable to learn psychic type ability such as confusion and extrasensory which would make it become a perfect counter for most Ghost type pokemon at that time (considering Gastly evolution line is partly poison type)

My favorites are the starter Pokémon, Houndoom, Lugia, Ho-oh, Noctowl, Entei, Gilgar, Skarmory, Bellossom, Tyranitar, Crobat, Kingdra, Sudowoodo, Girafarig, Donphan, Scizor, Heracross, Misdreavus and Xatu.

i always thought xatu was really neat both in design and lore

also have a soft spot for lanturn and umbreon

words and dreams and a million screams
    oh how I need a hand in mine to feel

Forretress

[Once again I couldn't win]

Despite being a Genwunner I loved playing through the gen 2 games. So here are my top 10 Johto Pokemon:

10. Marill
    9. Steelix
    8. Tyranitar
    7. Scizor
    6. Crobat
    5. Feraligator
    4. Donphan
    3. Slowking
    2. Togepi
    1. Ho-oh

for me it's a tie between heracross and umbreon.

Lugia is my eternal favorite ever since Pokemon 2000 came out. I like it's whole design: I just wish it had been part Water-type.

xerxes is offline ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

I've been a fan of Skiploom ever since I saw it in an old anime episode. I don't know why... it just looked so cute to me and I didn't know how to get one(didn't know it was Hoppip's evolution), so it felt that much more special to me. It just stuck with me. Too bad it sucks. :<
    ビビビビィト コンティニューズ!!!(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

latest shiny

DexNav @ 252 encounters

16/01/2017
    [ alpha sapphire ]

current hunt: marine life of hoenn, [moon ball] minior

I'd go with Feraligatr because it was my Starter on Gold and was super reliable. Shout out to Scizor, Togetic, Sneasel, Ursaring, and Heracross as well.

I'd usually say Tyranitar, but I'm kindaa being won over to really like the Unown as well. A person on another forum I lurk on said this:

The Unown are also strange for another reason: from the Ruins onwards, the Gym Leaders increasingly start taking on the traits of the Unown - they continually seem to use the same attack, but with incrementing damage if it hits and a weak base level of damage.
    I think it's really cool when Pokemon fit into the game design like that. So Unown are seeming like a hidden gem right now!

Obviously I also like Feraligatr, but I still prefer Tyranitar. They can be similar though.
    { We keep praying and looking to the skies }

Let's see... My Top 10 (in no particular order) would probably be:

1. Umbreon
    2. Espeon
    3. Totodile
    4. Cyndaquil
    5. Chikorita
    6. Ampharos
    7. Misdreavus
    8. Magmar
    9. Murkrow
    10. Lanturn

My favorites are Meganium, Furret, Lanturn, Ampharos, Kingdra, Houndoom, Ursaring, Scizor, Miltank, Suicune, Xatu, and Espeon.

Thumbs up

Maybe Meganium.

The memories i have of my crystal one are just still so epic to me

I like Pichu, Celebi, and Bellossom a lot, too. Oh and the Marill line And the Hoppip line. And the Mareep line xD

And Suicune is epic too X3

Honestly, i think theres others i like a lot, too xD Johto is just awesome to me.

...But yeah i'm pretty sure meganium is my number one favorite
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

*drool's over her kawaiiness x3*
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

1. Take a wild guess
    2. Umbreon
    3. Houndoom
    Honorable mentioned: Feraligatr, Tyranitar, Octillery, Celebi... I consider this my favorite generation as far as new Pokemon.

I felt pretty "meh" about Johto Pokemon for awhile, but there are some really fun designs I can't help but love.

Skarmory: An iron bird! This concept is just so darn cool, and I love sleek designs like this.

Natu/Xatu: As I kid, I thought Xatu looked like it was wearing some kind of ceremonial robe. I started to like Natu more as I used it in RPs (there weren't many cool psychic-type options) and they're very abundant in GO in my city, so I've appreciated it more.

Gligar: Who thinks of a flying scorpion? Gligar is both cute and weirdly adorable. Also helps that purple and blue are my favourite colours.

Scizor: Scyther will always be better in my heart, but I can't deny how cool and sleek Scizor's design is.

Sneasel: Also cute and cool! I love the claws and feathers and little gemstones.

Raikou: My favourite Johto 'mon and favourite electric-type. I love the colours and weird face and sleek design with jagged bits. The legendary beasts had such a cool story, and I will forever lament the fact that Suicune got a game, Entei got a movie, and all Raikou got was an animé special. This must be righted someday, dangit.

~Psychic

Click to check out my desserts thread!

Banner by Satomine Night

Here my list
    1-Totodile line
    2-cyndaquil line
    3-Steelix
    4-Heracross
    5-Scizor
    6-Crobat
    7-Houndoom
    8-Furett
    9-Skarmory
    10-Lugia and Ho oh
    Honorable mention would be Sneasel,Gligar,Espeon,Umbreon,The legendary beast,Mareep line and Marill line.
    Last edited by Nebbygetinthebag; 23rd June 2017 at 8:26 PM.

Pichupichupichu...PICHU! :3 Pichu's my fav right now, he's amazingly cute^^
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

*drool's over her kawaiiness x3*
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

So I got into Pokémon around late '99, so the hype for Gen II was huge. At the time it wasn't even out in Japan yet but the rumours were nuts and they were absolutely everywhere. But this is kind of pre-widespread Internet days. Not everyone had internet access at home (we didn't get it until about '01), so you relied a lot on what you heard from friends who did have access, and unofficial magazines giving info on 'leaks' etc.

So think Pokégods, Pikablu, everyone going nuts for Togepi (and how you could 'find him' in R/B/Y), new towns, new Pokémon etc. etc.

Even when they were out in Japan you wouldn't get a whole lot from official Pokemon/Nintendo magazines. So you had a ton of unofficial mags, and then huge mags like Pojo doing Japanese playthroughs. I remember a super-cheap unofficial magazine doing a playthrough of a (barely) translated ROM. It was so friggin' exciting.

It's so difficult to describe to someone who didn't experience that hype at the time what it was like. This was the first sequel to the biggest video game series of our generation. Everything we'd got into (the Pokémon, the mechanics, the features, the graphics) was changing and it was so good. The phone, the new region, the new Pokemon blowing away the 151 we'd memorised, the colour graphics, day and night, new music, new legendaries, new evolutions of existing Pokémon... Seriously crazy.

ANYWAY! Nostalgic waffle over.

Cyndaquil - I watched a friend play a semi-translated Japanese ROM back in 2000 and this was his starter.
    Lugia - On the box of Silver (which I ended up with), the coolest sprite and the legendary that I loved the most out of the two version mascots
    Sudowoodo - I loved that little sidequest to get him to move and figuring that out. Again, one of things that I saw everywhere with magazines etc.
    Steelix - I remember seeing him as one of the 'new Pokémon' unveiled somewhere (a newspaper's entertainment section of all places), seeing that he was an evolution of Onix and losing my mind. He just looks nuts.
    Entei - The first of the legendary dogs I saw in the wild and the first I caught (it was months before I found and even caught the others). I remember tracking that sneaky bugger down with the Pokédex's map, getting so confused (and frustrated) about his moving position and getting so excited when our locations matched. I literally jumped and punched the air when I caught him. My parents thought I was nuts.

SO! None of my choices are particularly based on any kind of gameplay stats/mechanics or anything like that. It's all just based on what I thought looked the coolest at the time, or what holds a nostalgic place in my heart. The Pokemon at the time were so drip-fed through as their reveals; unlike now with worldwide releases, ROM hacking tools to dump data and YouTubers/Twitch users broadcasting nuts playthroughs within a few days, every time you saw a new one (even months after the games were actually released) was so exciting.

Kids today don't know they're born etc. etc. /oldpersonrant
    Last edited by muckers; 29th June 2017 at 11:59 AM.

I have several Johto favorites such as Azumarill, Sunflora and Gligar, but right now I'm in a Raikou mood.

My personal favorites are Heracross, Scizor, and Porygon2

Popplio is the best

Ursaring gets my vote as the coolest Pokemon from Johto. Really cool design and pretty versatile! I thought Houndoom was a really neat addition as well.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be ‘just right.’ Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.” —George Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    1. Ampharos because it looks slightly dragonish.
    I've always wondered why Ampharos wasn't electric/dragon back in Gen 2 cuz its Japanese name Denryu can be read as meaning 'electric dragon' from what I've heard. ^^;

Espeon and Suicune are my top picks. The runner ups would be the Marill line, Mareep line, Togepi/Togetic, Umbreon, Unown, Porygon 2, Blissey, Ho-Oh and Celebi.

But really, the Johto roster as a whole is very solid and remains my favorite. I've used most of them over the years.

I loved Scizor when I was a kid and these days I love Umbreon too since it looks so silent yet secretive. All the Gen 2 Dark types are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylveon48 View Post
    My personal favorites are Heracross, Scizor, and Porygon2
    I'm both surprised and glad that Porygon 2 has some fans, because it was a difficult Pokemon to attain in G/S/C seeing as how Porygon was hard to get, and then needing to trade it to get it to evolve was a pain as well. But I find Porygon 2's design to be charming.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast