View Poll Results: Where do you rank ORAS compared to the rest of main series?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think ORAS is the best main series Pokemon game sofar. Number one.

19 16.10%
  • It is the second best Pokemon game sofar. Runner up.

14 11.86%
  • It's not the best, but it is one of the best. Top 3

30 25.42%
  • It is somwhere in the middle.

40 33.90%
  • It is one of the weakest games sofar.

15 12.71%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where do you rank OR/AS as a main series Pokemon game?

It's in the Top 3 for me.

1) Platinum
    2) Black/White/Black 2/White 2
    3) ORAS/Emerald/Ruby Sapphire

I loved the game. I loved the graphics. I loved the reintroduction of contests and secret bases. And of course, I loved how a classic game had modern Pokemon and movesets. I just felt however, the lack of trainer customisation was a set back since it was a new feature in XY. And I also thought the post game was rather flat - I had more questions than I did answers.

Twitter | Tumblr | Currently Exploring Unova

Since last posting, my list has updated.

1 tied: Platinum, White, Moon
    2: Omega Ruby

ORAS just didn't have a compelling plot until the Delta Episode when s**t got awesome. If the plot had held up, then it would probably be up there with the golden trio. Moon and White had amazing plots, while Platinum had the most moments where I could do perfect headcanons that made the over-the-top plot a thousand times better.
    Banner by me!

Serebii.net Fanfiction Profile

Note: I often struggle to get motivated to write or draw. Just because I don't update a story or my art gallery in a while does not mean that I've given up on that story or drawing. If I decide to cancel a project, I will post in the corresponding thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    Did they ever figure out who let the dogs out?
    Ongoing Stories:
    Bonds Between Children of Tragedy ~ Pokemon White Abridged ~ Encounters of an Elite Four Member
    One-Shots:
    Left Alone ~ A Simple Kalosian's Story
    Gallery:
    Nerdy McNerdface's Chibi Gallery

I had to think about how I felt about ORAS for a while. Sapphire was one of the games that I invested the most time with when I was younger. I love the Hoenn region, I love the new Pokemon from this generation, I love Double Battles. There is so much about third gen as a whole that was just amazing for me and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

So why do I feel so indifferent about the remakes?

There are a multitude of gripes I have with ORAS in comparison to both its originals and as games themselves. Surprisingly one of my major complaints is not lack of Emerald content, since I never played Emerald, but I did think the Battle Frontier tease crossed the line a bit. My issues are more with the games' existence itself and its story.

I never felt that we absolutely needed remakes of Ruby and Sapphire since we were still able to, however convoluted, transfer our old Pokemon forward from the originals themselves. At least FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver made Kanto and Johto accessible and their Pokemon transferrable. Somewhat related, I didn't particularly care for a remake of 3rd gen because it was still part of the "modern age" of Pokemon (as opposed to Red/Blue and Gold/Silver being the "classic age"). I'm not really looking forward to potential DP remakes either for the same reason - those games have had even less time to age.

In terms of story, I felt that the original games handled the main plot better than the remakes. I had made a thread stating something similar a while ago, but in ORAS I feel like the player character starts to drift into "Mary Sue" territory just a bit. (Of course I feel the same way about Steven Universe, so what does that say about my judgment?) It really started to feel this way for me when Latios/Latias decided to just join my party for little reason other than "I had a pure heart" or some such. Then seeing Maxie or Archie have a sudden redemption and then gush on how wonderful the player character was before helping them stop Groudon and Kyogre was a little sappy. It kind of continued into the Delta Episode but by then your character had already established a reputation as the Champion and the one who saved the day before. But it still seemed off to me with everybody gushing on how great you are, especially Steven (talking about Stone now).

Lastly, there's the issue of the new megas and the dumb decision by Game Freak to not patch X and Y to include them. This definitely frustrated me the most because it was an unprecedented move for the Pokemon games. Before, when a newer version and newer forms came out, they could still battle with the old games, at the expense of the form looking like different with unchanged sprites in the older games. Then comes gen 6 and there had to be a provisional battle mode set up to even compete against someone with the older games. It got to the point where Nintendo themselves even downplayed Mega Evolution, one of the defining new features of the generation, so all the games could be on the same page. If there were technical limitations it would be easier to understand, and I'm sure there were some issues that the development teams couldn't work around, but this is the age of the internet. This is the era of games being patched to add things that weren't there in the beginning. I don't even know if Cloud was even considered to be in Smash 4 when the game was first released, but here we are. Why couldn't Pokemon have done the same?

EDIT: Oh and one more thing. May's overworld model was really creepy looking...

That being said with all the criticisms there's still a lot to love about this game. Soaring is especially a treat, one that seems tailor made for the Alola region which is disappointing. And at the end of the day I did very much enjoy visiting Hoenn again. But it's not in the top games of the series for me either. Perhaps if I had been a regular trainer thrust into a major conflict I'd enjoy it more, rather than a "chosen one" who happens to have every legendary Pokemon mysteriously drawn to them.
    Last edited by Italianbaptist; 18th April 2017 at 1:27 PM.
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

3DS Friend Code - 4613 7899 0504 In-Game Name for Moon: Raphael

After SM came out, I feel like Alola is a cheaper version of Hoenn. Both have a tropical theme, but Alola is smaller, too linear, and without awesome regional stuff like diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss1991 View Post
    After SM came out, I feel like Alola is a cheaper version of Hoenn. Both have a tropical theme, but Alola is smaller, too linear, and without awesome regional stuff like diving.
    I like alola and hoenn about the same. I feel they both offer different things and have their own pros and cons.

I didn't mind ORAS too much compared to the other games, but definitely found that I preferred the originals a lot more (which is why I'm currently playing Ruby and not Omega Ruby). I don't know, there's something about Mega Evolution and the new updates that just feels off to me in Hoenn, I didn't mind that so much in XY because they were new, but ORAS was based off of older games which I'd played and it felt weird. Maybe I would have felt the same way if I'd played Gold/Silver/Crystal before playing HeartGold/SoulSilver, but I didn't enjoy ORAS as much. My friend loved it, but he never played the originals and even the people I know who did preferred this to them. So who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu979 View Post
    I like alola and hoenn about the same. I feel they both offer different things and have their own pros and cons.
    I like both as well. But I feel that Alola has the perfect visuals and atmosphere, but lacks the "substance" that Hoenn has. Just my opinion, anyway.
    Last edited by Boss1991; 22nd May 2017 at 8:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss1991 View Post
    I like both as well. But I feel that Alola has the oerfect visuals and atmosphere, but lacks the "substance" that Hoenn has. Just my opinion, anyway.
    I can definitely see that. Even though I prefer Sun and Moon's story, there were times where the Alola region seemed to focus so much on "fanservice" (especially in relation to Kanto) that it lost its own personal flair. Hoenn never really had that problem because Pokemon wasn't super hyped at the time (they were trying to rebuild a hype train that had kind of gone off the rails), so they put a lot more effort into making the region unique.

Simply, I prefer Alola's story but Hoenn as a region
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

3DS Friend Code - 4613 7899 0504 In-Game Name for Moon: Raphael

ORAS just barely missed top 3 for me, ending up in the middle.
    1. Pokemon FRLG
    2. Pokemon RSE
    3. Pokemon B2W2
    4. Pokemon ORAS
    5. Pokemon SM
    I'm aware that putting FRLG at the top is a very unpopular opinion, but I have my reasons.
    SM and ORAS are very close together in my heart (BW as well), and I'm still debating putting SM on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Italianbaptist View Post
    I can definitely see that. Even though I prefer Sun and Moon's story, there were times where the Alola region seemed to focus so much on "fanservice" (especially in relation to Kanto) that it lost its own personal flair. Hoenn never really had that problem because Pokemon wasn't super hyped at the time (they were trying to rebuild a hype train that had kind of gone off the rails), so they put a lot more effort into making the region unique.

Simply, I prefer Alola's story but Hoenn as a region
    I like Hoenn's story and region more.

I hope USUM improves Alola though.

(And by the way, keep voting y'all! XD)

Wasn't a fan of ORAS really (No Battle frontier or Gym Leader rematches really?). Top 3 would be

1. HGSS
    2. B2W2
    3. Emerald
    Last edited by ((JAWS)); 16th July 2017 at 11:30 PM.
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagardens

Somewhere in the middle. I think Sun/Moon, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Black/White and their sequels rank bove it.
    Claimed:
    Pokemon Omega Ruby team:
    Pokemon Moon team:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234