Thread: Community POTW #143

Default Community POTW #143

Time for the final part of the movie collaboration and this week is a Mega Evolution used by Jarvis

It's Alakazam and its powerful Mega Evolution, Mega Alakazam

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/065.shtml

Go nuts

Ah, the classic glass cannon, the physical special split didn't do it much good in the first place, but fairy type gave it a new way to deal with fighting types, and its ability, magic guard is perfect fit with a focus sash.

+ One great ability and two decent ones. Synchronise will make opponents think twice before paralysing you while inner focus is handy in double battles to deal with flinching. However the best ability available is probably magic guard, giving immunity to damage from entry hazards, poison, life orb and weather.
    + A massive special attack stat of 135 with quite a broad special movepool makes Alakazam a credible threat
    + 120 speed is excellent (which is nice as so many things can punch straight through Alakazam like a hot knife through butter). Zam can outspeed major threats such as Mega Lucario and Gengar
    + Handy status moves include encore, thunder wave and substitute
    + Its mega form is one of the fastest non-ubers, even outspeeding mega beedrill and speed tying with mega aerodactyl
    + The mega form gets the ability Trace. This is a fantastic ability as many pokemon have problems with their own abilities, such as Heatran with flash fire

-55 HP is terrible, especially with 45 defence. This makes Sucker punch a disaster for Alakazam and its usually a bad idea to switch alakazam into basically anything. Don't even bother with physical defence investment.
    - Not many resistances either, just fighting and other psychic types, and most fighting types have a coverage move that can hit it back hard.
    - Doesn't have the bulk to play with magic guard, flame orb and trick

Zam Bam Thank You Ma'am!
    Alakazam @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Encore/ Thunder Wave
    - Psyshock
    - Dazzling Gleam/Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball

This alakazam stops things setting up properly and hits really, really hard. Psyshock is your main stab, while dazzling gleam gives coverage for grass types (focus blast is similar, but also hits steel types quite hard in exchange for being less accurate). Shadow Ball hits other psychic types.

Little Cup Corner
    Closed eyes, open mind
    Abra @ Focus Sash
    Level: 5
    EVs: 36 Atk / 240 SpA / 200 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - HP Fighting / HP Fire
    - Encore

Abra tends to do better with a second hit from focus sash (or a first hit against diglett) than a life orb, and hits 19 speed, more than and gastly and anorith. You'll probably want max speed timid to deal use this. Encore is handy against rock setters or setup sweepers etc. Thief is also considerable, allowing abra to steal berry juices, but requires your opponent to break your sash first by almost OHKOing you so I wouldn't reccomend it. HP fighting is good for pawniard while HP fire hits ferrothorn, both make magnemite think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    dazzling gleam gives coverage for grass types .
    I don't understand that at all. Psychic types moves are stronger against Grass that Dazzling Gleam, coz they get STAB and they both do neutral damages. If you want to take down Grass types, Signal Beam is a better option.

Alakazam is certainly one of the greatest Psychic-type Pokémon for sure! I have used many times in the past! It was so good with the elemental punches back in gen 1-3, but since gen 4 it's not good anymore!!!

Ability: Magic Guard is the best one, and give a Life Orb to Alakazam to boost it's attacks power!!! But honestly, Sychronize is not bad either.

Moveset:

- Psychic / Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - Charge Beam / Calm Mind
    - Focus Blast / Energy Ball / Signal Beam / Dazzling Gleam

Psychic or Psyshock is its main STAB. Chosse the one you prefer, and depends on things you want to hit hard.
    Shadow Ball is great for countering other psychic types, as well with Ghost types!
    Charge Beam can be used has a boosting move, as the 50% of raising special atk is really good and can deal some damage to Water and Flying types. Otherwise, Calm Mind can be considered.
    The last slot is up to you and depends on what you want to hit. Focus Blast hits Steel, Normal and Dark-type hard. Energy Ball hits Water, Rock and Ground types hard. Signal Beam hits Grass and Dark-types hard ehile Dazzling Gleam deals also with Dark types, as it hits Dragon really hard too. three of these moves deals with Dark, and is really good to consider one of them, coz Psychoc and Shadow Ball are useless against Dark types.

Other options:
    - Recover can be used for Recovery, but Alakazam is frail...
    - Thunder Wave is always good to paralyse ennemies.
    - Hidden Power can be good, depends of what type you want.
    - Shock Wave can hit Water and Flying harder than Charge Beam if you really want an electric-type move that does damage. Also, it never miss, which is good against Double Team users!!
    - Barrier raises alazakan defense by two levels, which can be good coz if DEF is so frail. Is Mega could appreciate ite too.

About its Mega:

Since its Mega has Trace as an ability, be carefeul in front of which foe you are mega-evolving your Alakazam. Don't do it in front of Slaking, as you don't to get Truant! also, don't do it in front of Regigigas, since you don't want to get Slow Start. I think you understand that! It's really reliable of which Pokémon you face. Getting Run away or Illuminate is also so useless too. It's better getting something like Speed boost, Water Absord, Volt Absord, Levitate or Sheer force!

By the way, Mega Alakazam seems to levitate in mid-air, right? Why did't it got Levitate instead...

Also, the Mega got a little boost to it's defence, massive Sp.Atk and Speed. It is good, but can't hold the Life Orb.

I remember seeing something in a Smogon thread that intrigued me, so here it is.

Bulky Boosting Alakazam
    -Barrier
    -Calm Mind
    -Recover
    -Psychic / Psyshock
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Magic Guard -> Trace
    Item: Alakazite
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 68 Spe

This is a really weird set, but it can be oddly effective. The idea is that although Mega Alakazam's defenses are garbage, Barrier can actually make them quite respectable, especially combined with Zam's amazing base 150 Speed. The idea is that you want to use Barrier on a predicted switch-in to a Physical attacker; then you can Barrier again and take the hit with +4 Defense. Then it's just a matter of using Calm Mind and Recover until you can sweep. The EVs allow it to outspeed positive-natured base 130s while still maximizing Special Attack; you can experiment with running more bulk.

Obviously Dark-types wall this set, so you're going to want to run something like Mega Diancie or Keldeo that can get rid of them.

Alakazam is the pokemon i'm not sure about. With such a great special attack stat, it can really hurt you. It's fast, so that's nice. Aside from that, it's not really anything. Its defense is outdone by magikarp (you can check that) and it's hp is a joke. A physical attack won't work for it, and it can harsly hold a special attack. Truth be told, your better of using a pokemon like gengar. If you really want to use it, here's a sugestion:

-hypnosis
    -psychic
    -protect
    -Recover
    Nature: modest
    Ability:magic gaurd
    Item: quick claw
    Do something fun with the ev's just boost sp. Attack.

With a quick claw hypnosis you can put an opponent to sleep at the first, and hurt him with psychic. Use protect in a though situation, and recover if you want him to last longer. But really though, use gengar, it's everything alakazam is and more

...Well, this thread's got a lot to address.

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    - Dazzling Gleam/Focus Blast

Quote Originally Posted by ericgall23 View Post
    - Focus Blast / Energy Ball / Signal Beam / Dazzling Gleam
    Focus Blast should not be slashed. It's arguably (if not definitely) Alakazam's most valuable coverage option, in that it's the only thing standing between Alakazam and being totally Pursuit trapped. Things like Tyranitar and Bisharp can easily trap Alakazam if it's lacking Focus Blast, and although Sucker Punch from the latter can be problematic, it does have access to Substitute and Encore to help get around that, as well. Dazzling Gleam's main niche is for dealing with Mega Sableye, who, while annoying, isn't going to trap you the same way the former two threats will. In addition, Focus Blast can be beneficial against steel types like Ferrothorn, Heatran, etc. It's true that the accuracy sucks and will likely let you down every now and again, but the coverage it affords you is just too valuable to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by lucariomaster2 View Post
    I remember seeing something in a Smogon thread that intrigued me, so here it is.

Bulky Boosting Alakazam
    -Barrier
    -Calm Mind
    -Recover
    -Psychic / Psyshock
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Magic Guard -> Trace
    Item: Alakazite
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 68 Spe

This is a really weird set, but it can be oddly effective. The idea is that although Mega Alakazam's defenses are garbage, Barrier can actually make them quite respectable, especially combined with Zam's amazing base 150 Speed. The idea is that you want to use Barrier on a predicted switch-in to a Physical attacker; then you can Barrier again and take the hit with +4 Defense. Then it's just a matter of using Calm Mind and Recover until you can sweep. The EVs allow it to outspeed positive-natured base 130s while still maximizing Special Attack; you can experiment with running more bulk.

Obviously Dark-types wall this set, so you're going to want to run something like Mega Diancie or Keldeo that can get rid of them.
    It's a little too situational, IMO. Barring the fact that mono-attacking with Psychic STAB is risky, even at +4 Alakazam is not impenetrable by any means due to its poor base bulk (Banded Scizor U-Turns still do up to 70%, Tyranitar can 2HKO with Crunch, etc.), and it's more prone to Stall (Toxic being a big issue), Encore, being phased out, etc. It could work in theory but at the same time there's a lot of variables and of course it's more team dependent given the mere presence of Dark types puts an enormous amount of pressure on this set, given they can basically use it as setup bait and rob you of momentum. Plus, a LOT of things have to go right to be able to set up with two different types of boosting, which isn't really so feasible in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' weedle View Post

-hypnosis
    -psychic
    -protect
    -Recover
    Nature: modest
    Ability:magic gaurd
    Item: quick claw
    Do something fun with the ev's just boost sp. Attack.
    Quick Claw is just bad. It's too unreliable given it only works 20% of the time, and Alakazam already outspeeds like 90% of the unboosted Metagame, so even if Quick Claw does activate, most of the time it will be inconsequential. You run into the same issues with mono-psychic coverage, and Alakazam's too frail to really take advantage of Recover reliably. Plus, Protect on a singles set like this doesn't really accomplish much of anything; you're not stalling for Leftovers recovery, you're not letting passive damage tick... the only thing it might do is let you scout an attack but if they set up instead of attacking then that's a waste. Hypnosis in and of itself is unreliable given its 60% accuracy, so it runs into issues of its own.
    SMod, One of the writers for the PotW, and someone you'll be hearing from often if you fail to read the rules

Take a moment, remind yourself
    To take a moment and find yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ericgall23 View Post
    I don't understand that at all. Psychic types moves are stronger against Grass that Dazzling Gleam, coz they get STAB and they both do neutral damages. If you want to take down Grass types, Signal Beam is a better option.
    Sorry, I mean dark, not grass. I was writing this while IV breeding a breloom for next sinnoh battle competition and got distracted lol Full admission of stupidity.
    Last edited by Aduro; 17th July 2016 at 9:56 PM.

Get Rid Of My Spoons? Fork That!
    Alakazam@Life Orb/Alakazite
    Timid nature
    Magic Guard
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
    ~Psychic/Psyshock
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Dazzling Gleam
    ~Disable/(other)

Alakazam was king back in Generation I, and even though it's been taken down a peg or two, it's still no slouch. Psychic or Psyshock would be your STAB move of choice, coming off that incredible Special Attack, with Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam for extra coverage. Now, about that- Ghost and Fairy is amazing coverage. The only Pokémon that resists both Ghost and Fairy is Pyroar. So between those and the Psychic move of your choice, nothing can resist every single attack in Alakazam's arsenal. It's to the point where the fourth moveslot basically boils down to "pick your poison from Other Options". For the sake of an example, though, I put Disable- I do the same thing with my Gengar, I slap Disable on there if there's no urgent need for a fourth move. Ever since its buff to 100% accuracy, Disable is actually a pretty decent way to combat Sucker Punch if you predict it right. It's worked for me before. Even saved my life against a Mega Kangaskhan once. Yeah.

Another thing about Alakazam is... it doesn't honestly need to Mega Evolve. Sure, Mega Evolution gives Alakazam a nice buff in the stats department, but many people argue that its stats are good as is, and a nice Life Orb makes up for the lower Special Attack. I personally go either way on this one, so yeah, you do you.

Item is your call, either way it'll power up Alakazam. Ability is just plain common sense, especially with the Life Orb.

Don't Counter On It
    Alakazam@Focus Sash
    Hasty nature
    Inner Focus
    252 HP/252 Speed/4 Sp. Atk
    ~Counter
    ~Psychic/Psyshock
    ~Dazzling Gleam
    ~Shadow Ball

This one is gimmicky as all hell, but it'll pack that surprise factor for sure. Basically, you take a heavy physical blow, survive with Focus Sash (And Alakazam has all the Defense of a wet paper bag, so believe you me, it needs that Focus Sash), and fight back with Counter for a heavy hit, possibly a one-hit KO. The nature and EVs are tailored towards maximizing Counter damage. The other three moveslots are largely irrelevant, since after that one Counter, Alakazam leaves itself wide open to any priority move ever, but you might as well give it its usual respectable set of three moves, just in case.

Item is essential for surviving a physical hit. Ability ensures you're not screwed over by flinching from that physical hit. Not especially likely, but better safe than sorry.

Other options:
    *Thunder Wave can be useful if you want to cripple something that's too fast for the rest of your team.
    *Substitute can help with Alakazam's longevity, on the off chance it doesn't OHKO everything in its path.
    *If for some reason the suggested coverage doesn't appeal to you, you can also go with moves like Energy Ball and Focus Blast. Ghost and Fighting is completely unresisted by itself, but you'll want the STAB Psychic move anyway, so yeah.
    *There's also Charge Beam and Calm Mind if you're of the opinion that there's no kill like overkill.
    *Trick works well with a Choice item if you're looking to screw with an opponent.
    *Need dual screen support? Alakazam's got Reflect and Light Screen.
    *Don't be tempted to go with Barrier- it's not worth trying to salvage Alakazam's pitiful Defense.

Abilities:
    *Inner Focus: Alakazam cannot flinch. Taking a hit while charging Focus Punch still stops the attack- that doesn't count as flinching. Basically only go with this if you're doing the Counter set.
    *Synchronize: When Alakazam becomes paralyzed, poisoned, or burned, the opponent that inflicted this status sustains the same status itself, as long as it's not immune to it or otherwise already statused. A decent Ability, but in this day and age, you'll want it more for its out-of-battle effect because of...
    *Magic Guard: Alakazam's Hidden Ability. Alakazam can only take damage by being hit with an attack. No burn or poison damage, no sandstorm or hail damage, no Leech Seed damage, no recoil damage, no Life Orb recoil damage, none of that. This is what you want on your Alakazam, especially with a Life Orb. No Life Orb recoil. An all-around excellent Ability.
    *Trace: Mega Alakazam's Ability. Upon entering battle or acquiring this Ability, Mega Alakazam acquires the opponent's Ability. Obviously its usefulness in battle varies, but it's a good reason to be choosy about when to Mega Evolve. Imagine Mega Alakazam with something like... Infiltrator. Super Luck. Parental Bond. Yeah. The potential is beautiful.

Partners:
    Something that can both dish out and take physical hits. If you're not Mega Evolving Alakazam and still need a Mega for your team, Aggron's something to consider. Also, Stealth Rock support helps with pesky things like Focus Sashes and Sturdy.

Counters:
    Look up a list of priority attacking moves. All of those, minus Vacuum Wave. And be wary of any physical attacker with Speed Boost- if a Scolipede can get in a boost or two, you don't want to stick around for that Megahorn.

Opinion:
    What can I say? Alakazam is a classic. It's not as good as in its heyday, but it's still no slouch.

Pre-Evolution Corner:

Suck On That, Uri Geller
    Kadabra@Life Orb
    Timid nature
    Magic Guard
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
    ~Psychic/Psyshock
    ~Dazzling Gleam
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Disable/(other)

Kadabra can't exactly compete with Alakazam in terms of stats, but it's nothing to sneeze at in and of itself. If you don't want to use Alakazam for whatever reason, or can't, Kadabra basically functions the same way, to the point where I really don't think I need to explain this set, as it would just reiterate everything from the Alakazam version of the set. Well, except the stuff about Mega Evolving.

Item powers up Kadabra. Ability prevents Life Orb recoil.

I Can Has TCG Cards Again?
    Kadabra@Focus Sash
    Hasty nature
    Inner Focus
    ~Counter
    ~Psychic/Psyshock
    ~Dazzling Gleam
    ~Shadow Ball

As with the previous set, this is just the same set as with Alakazam. Nothing more to really say here.

Item is essential for surviving a physical hit. Ability ensures you're not screwed over by flinching from that physical hit. Not especially likely, but better safe than sorry.

Other options:
    *The entirety of Alakazam's Other Options section, minus Focus Blast.

Abilities:
    *Inner Focus: Kadabra cannot flinch. Taking a hit while charging Focus Punch still stops the attack- that doesn't count as flinching. Basically only go with this if you're doing the Counter set.
    *Synchronize: When Kadabra becomes paralyzed, poisoned, or burned, the opponent that inflicted this status sustains the same status itself, as long as it's not immune to it or otherwise already statused. A decent Ability, but in this day and age, you'll want it more for its out-of-battle effect because of...
    *Magic Guard: Kadabra's Hidden Ability. Alakazam can only take damage by being hit with an attack. No burn or poison damage, no sandstorm or hail damage, no Leech Seed damage, no recoil damage, no Life Orb recoil damage, none of that. This is what you want on your Kadabra, especially with a Life Orb. No Life Orb recoil. An all-around excellent Ability.

Partners:
    Something that can both dish out and take physical hits. Mega Aggron's something to consider. Also, Stealth Rock support helps with pesky things like Focus Sashes and Sturdy.

Counters:
    Look up a list of priority attacking moves. All of those, minus Vacuum Wave. And be wary of any physical attacker with Speed Boost.

Opinion:
    Ohhh, Kadabra, Kadabra, Kadabra. You can't help but feel for this thing. Uri Geller screwed it over but good. No TCG cards in years, to the point where the latest Abra card has an attack enabling immediate evolution to Alakazam. Hell, you guys know the Everstone doesn't work on Kadabra? It'll evolve anyway. And I think anyone who's traded for a certain Haunter in Generation IV knows good and well that the Everstone is supposed to work on trade evolution Pokémon. It's only Kadabra, and it's been this way since at least Generation IV. And Bulbapedia are adamant about classifying this as a glitch, when it would certainly have been fixed by now were that the case. No, if you ask me, this crap has Geller's stink all over it, and I don't like it one bit... It's a real shame, because Kadabra's pretty cool, and I like it a lot.

Prediction for next week:
    Qwilfish.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 6 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 14 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Annihilating Alakazam

Poor HP and bad Defense as opposed to high Speed and Special Attack means that Alakazam lives and dies the same way -fast. Alakazam's huge SPD and SATK means that few pokémon can outspeed it and if there is nothing on your team that can take a hit from Alakazam, it can still sweep through unprepared teams. So how to take it down? Priority moves. Barring Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, Alakazam quakes in fear of priority moves. CB Azumarill, CB Scizor/Mega Scizor, can all potentially OHKO Alakazam with their priority moves, while other priority users like Weavile, Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, etc. can take 50% of Alakazam's HP in a single shot. Bisharp is particularly effective. While it can't take a Focus Blast, it has both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, putting Alakazam in a situation that can only be resolved by good prediction or a OHKO. (Mega) Tyranitar and (Mega) Metagross can also Pursuit trap (though watch out for Focus Blast/Shadow Ball respectively). Alakazam can be out sped, especially by the likes of Weavile, Talonflame, (Mega) Aerodactyl, Mega Lopunny, Mega Beedrill, Crobat, etc. who all can all threaten Alakazam with a OHKO from one of their stronger moves. Barring those options, paralyzing Alakazam deprives it of its greatest shield, its speed. Finally sponges, like Chansey, Florges, and Goodra can wall Alakazam, provided it does not possess Psyshock.

For Mega Alakazam, it is largely the same as normal Alakazam, just remove the pokémon that can outspeed it section.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

Pain is getting flinched 3 times in a row by an Aerodactyl.

"Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals at any rate." -Roy Greenhilt

FC: 5043-1767-3387

Please no other abilities other than Magic Guard, it's just too good compared to kazam's other situational abilities. Alakazam is to frail to be taking Fake outs or Jirachi's Iron Heads, so Inner Focus is just bad. Magic Guard makes Kazam immune to entry hazards, so focus sash sets should run it too Mestorm, it makes Alakazam a great Revenge Killer.
    I am Spanish, so my English isn't very good.

Spoiler:- Completed Challenges:

3DS Friend Code: 2191-8109-9121. Friend Safari: Flying: Swanna / Spearow / Hawlucha. PM me so that I can add you!

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Don't Counter On It
    Alakazam@Focus Sash
    Hasty nature
    Inner Focus
    ~Counter
    ~Psychic/Psyshock
    ~Dazzling Gleam
    ~Shadow Ball

*Inner Focus: Alakazam cannot flinch. Taking a hit while charging Focus Punch still stops the attack- that doesn't count as flinching. Basically only go with this if you're doing the Counter set.

I Can Has TCG Cards Again?
    Kadabra@Focus Sash
    Hasty nature
    Inner Focus
    ~Counter
    ~Psychic/Psyshock
    ~Dazzling Gleam
    ~Shadow Ball

*Inner Focus: Kadabra cannot flinch. Taking a hit while charging Focus Punch still stops the attack- that doesn't count as flinching. Basically only go with this if you're doing the Counter set.
    Inner Focus should never be used. It doesn't help Sash sets, especially compared to Magic Guard. Fake Out has poor distribution to the point where it's rare and the things that do pack it are extremely predictable. Plus, Alakazam is so fast that outside of Fake Out very few things can flinch it, especially considering that Flinch in general has poor distribution for things not named Togekiss or Jirachi. Not to mention Counter is a gimmick but that's another story. Magic Guard, on the other hand, prevents things such as Entry Hazards and Weather effects from breaking your Sash, in addition to letting it absorb Toxic and Will-o-Wisp. Magic Guard should literally always be Alakazam's ability. No exceptions... for battle, anyway. If you need a Synchronizer for catching that's one thing, but for battle, Magic Guard is without equal for Alakazam.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 18th July 2016 at 3:10 AM.
    SMod, One of the writers for the PotW, and someone you'll be hearing from often if you fail to read the rules

Well, I'm a little late to the party, so all the good sets are pretty much taken. I would like to mention Protect as an OO for Mega Alakazam, since it has some utility against the speedy megas in OU/BSS that outpace Alakazam's base form. For instance, it can put pressure on a Mega Manectric or a rare Mega Aerodactyl trying to boost, and it might situationally help out against a Fake Out, such as from a Lopunny trying to mega evolve safely. Granted, it's still an OO; you will lose a bit of coverage for it.
    Anything can be a mixed attacker if you're brave enough.

Ummm.. I'm a bit late, but one OO I've messed around with is TrickSpecs. It's certainly not good enough to be its own set, but it's not too awful- it lets you get past Chansey and Clefable and the like, whilst also giving you tons of power. Not amazing, but not worthless in terms of consideration.
    Last edited by The Umbreon Tamer; 19th July 2016 at 5:32 PM.

Just a few lil' guys who I feel are underappreciated or that I just like.

Running Knock Off on a LO set is probably better for dealing with Chansey, since Alakazam doesn't want to be locked into anything and it won't have to give up its boosting item.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

Mega Alakazam isn't that good. Apart from being faster it has nothing over regular Alakazam. It's defences are still horrible, comparable with regular Gengar's physical defence, and it doesn't hit as hard as Life Orb Alakazam. Specs Zam is also not really that great, it's too weak to Pursuit to really pull it off effectively. Alakazam has plenty of tricks up its sleeve, but not really the bulk to pull off most of it.

Alakazam @ Life Orb
    Timid nature
    4 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed
    -Substitute
    -Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball

Substitute allows Alakazam to have an escape option from Pursuit users like Scizor, and provides protection against Sucker Punch (you can set it up when the enemy switches or uses Sucker Punch), and also blocks stuff like Thunder Wave. Timid Alakazam outruns Jolly Scarf Tyranitar, so it can Focus Blast it before it Pursuits or Crunches. Life Orb boosts your power while Magic Guard negates Life Orb recoil and other passive damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Leaf Blade View Post
    Mega Alakazam isn't that good. Apart from being faster it has nothing over regular Alakazam. It's defences are still horrible, comparable with regular Gengar's physical defence, and it doesn't hit as hard as Life Orb Alakazam.
    That's a peculiar assessment to make, and one that's not supported by viability. "Apart from being faster" really downplays exactly how fast it actually is; base 150 is literally tied for the 3rd fastest unboosted Pokemon in the game! This, in turn, allows it to outspeed certain things that Alakazam wishes it could, such as Weavile (Ice Shard doesn't come anywhere near 1HKOing), Tornadus-T, and Mega Lopunny. In addition, you're severely underrating Trace. It may not have the consistency of Magic Guard given its usefulness is more matchup-dependent, but a lot of things hate having their ability Traced. Tracing something like Swift Swim or Sand Rush from Mega Swampert and Excadrill (respectively) allows Mega Alakazam to revenge kill them even in their respective weather conditions. Things like Gyarados hate having Intimidate Traced, given it does more to it then Intimidate does to Mega Alakazam. Flash Fire from Heatran and Lightningrod from Manectric (before it Mega Evolves) can often force those things out, as being immune to their STAB can pressure them. Finally, things like Tracing Chansey's Natural Cure means it can't so easily hit you with status to cripple Mega Alakazam.

Plus, Life Orb Alakazam only hits like 7% harder anyway.