Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #147

Default Community POTW #147

Time for the next Pokémon and, as next week is the 2016 Pokémon World Championships, we decided to make it everybody's favourite opponent

Smeargle has so much potential, but it has terrible stats

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/235.shtml

Go nuts

Smeargle is a great pokemon... For breeding and setup. Aside from that it is worthless. It has 3 great abilities, but has no use for them. Still you can make great use for it, so here is my set:

Take a nap while i do my things, okay?
    Smeargle
    Item: focus sash
    Ability: moody/ own tempo
    Nature: timid
    Ev's: 252 speed, the rest in bulk.(not that it can use it)
    - spore
    - stealth rock
    - spikes
    - poisen spikes

Purely for setup, use spore, then set up. Nothing else. Mayby if you live after the setup you can put some more pokemon to sleep, or use it as a free switch, since it had it's use already.
    Last edited by Smokin' weedle; 14th August 2016 at 1:41 PM.

In formats where Baton Pass isn't restricted, there's really only one thing Smeargle should be doing.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Timid - Own Tempo
    252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Defence
    -Shell Smash
    -Spore
    -Baton Pass
    -Magic Coat

Smeargle is hands down the most reliable SmashPasser in the game, thanks to the fact that it's the only one who gets access to Spore. Passing a Shell Smash to a dangerous threat like Gengar or Mega Garchomp can be an an automatic win in many circumstances, since their usual checks and counters are going to be hard pressed to defeat them at +2/+2/+2. Magic Coat is great for bouncing back Taunt, Whirlwind, Thunder Wave, and various other status moves.

In general you should always Shell Smash first. This gives you the best chance at a safe switch thanks to Spore, meaning the only way they'll be able to hit you on the Pass is if they get a first turn wake-up. Keep Smeargle away from priority users and multi-hit users like Breloom, Scizor, Cloyster, and Mega Heracross, as they will ruin him. Smeargle appreciates hazard support, not for him, but to stop his SmashPass recipient from getting phased out or KO'd by Sturdy/Focus Sash users and getting a bit of extra chip damage on bulkier threats.

Other variants of Baton Pass Smeargle can be used but are generally more specialized (such as Geomancy + Cotton Guard on cancerous dEnIsSsS BP teams), as it does get every other potential set-up move in the game. Smeargle is also the only legal Passer of Ingrain, which is invaluable for full BP chains as it stops opponents from phasing you with Roar, Dragon Tail, etc. as well as providing some passive recovery.

In formats where Baton Pass is restricted, Smeargle is essentially rendered useless. It can make an okay hazard lead, but is largely outclassed by other hazard setters. Its only niche is that it can run any and all hazard moves, something no other Pokemon can boast. However, due to its pathetic defenses and average Speed, it'll rarely get more than 2 layers up and may struggle to get more than one, and it won't be surviving long enough to reset hazards later in the match if they get spun or Defogged away. Spore + Imprison + Transform is fun but a complete gimmick that should never be used on a serious team outside of 1v1.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 14th August 2016 at 2:08 PM.

DrumPass

Smeargle @ Salac Berry / Custap Berry
    Jolly/Timid nature
    252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Def/Sp.Def
    Ability: Own Tempo
    -Belly Drum
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    -Spore

This definitely needs support to pull off, but Smeargle is the only pokémon in the game to be able to Baton Pass Belly Drum. You absolutely need Dual Screen support and preferably Memento support (Uxie for instance) to pull this off, as Smeargle is literally more fragile than Luvdisc, especially after Drumming, but the payoff can be enormous. Custap Berry would make it easier to pass, guaranteeing you pass away before you pass away, while Salac Berry is another boost to pass. A lot of physical sweepers like Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Metagross become absolute monsters after being passed +6 attack. Other recipients include Extremespeed Dragonite, Extremespeed Lucario, and Bullet Punch Scizor, all are insanely scary at +6. If you manage to pass +1 speed too, your opponent might as well give up. Don't think that Substitute passing is viable, it's not realistic to expect the Sub to survive before passing, it's purely there for HP control to activate your berry.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 14th August 2016 at 2:31 PM.

Slandering Smeargle

Who would ever use Smeargle? A mere 250 BST makes it as good as many baby/1st stage pokémon. Well its sole saving grace is that Smeargle can learn anything. And I do mean anything. Not even Mew can claim to have the same expansive movepool as Smeargle. Sketch is an amazing gift that Gamefreak bestowed Smeargle, turning it into one of the most terrifying support pokémon in the game. Entry hazards? You got it. Baton Pass Belly Drum, Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, Shift Gears, Tail Glow, etc? You got it. Spore/Dark Void? You got it. Super fang? You get the idea. While it is impossible to counter every Smeargle set, there are some reliable tools. Smeargle's offensive presence is non existent, and even with the great boosting moves it has, it doesn't have the defenses to endure boosting for long, meaning virtually every Smeargle you see will be Taunt bait. Taunt it, and Smeargle will have to switch or struggle. Magic Bounce is a nightmare for Smeargle, sabotaging its own team with its own Entry hazards, or putting Smeargle to sleep with its own Spore, though Magic Bounce users must work fast against the Baton Pass sets, lest Smeargle passes its boosts to something truly dangerous.

Taking out Smeargle itself is not a difficult task. Its defenses are pitiful, with even defensive pokémon able to rip chunks out of its HP. As long as you are able to attack it with anything that is not a Ghost move, you should be able to take it out. What is difficult is mitigating Smeargle's attempts to survive and setup.

Since Smeargle likes using Spore/Dark Void to get the chance to setup, blocking such attempts coerce Smeargle to flee or die. Insomnia/Vital Spirit users are best, while Grass types can block Spore. Sleep talk users can give Smeargle a nasty surprise when it thinks it is in the clear. For Baton Pass sets, switching in a Haze or Clear Smog user can utterly render Smeargle's buff attempts for naught. Since Smeargle likes using Focus Sash to get an extra chance to setup, multihit moves are another way to reliably take it out, but as noted before, they must be out the second Smeargle hits the field. Entry Hazards/Sand Stream/Snow Warning also break Focus Sash. For Smeargle that use Substitute for protection sound based moves/Infiltrator (or the previously mentioned multihit moves) are your best bet. Switching against Smeargle is something that should be avoided at all costs (barring good prediction on what is going to do) -a free turn for Smeargle is a free turn of setup -something that should be avoided at all cost.

While unorthodox, taking out all of Smeargle's teammates is another way to mitigate its threat. Smeargle exists to support is teammates, so with no one to support, Smeargle is dead weight.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 14th August 2016 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to include Substitute counters.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

Pain is getting flinched 3 times in a row by an Aerodactyl.

"Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals at any rate." -Roy Greenhilt

FC: 5043-1767-3387

Quote Originally Posted by Mestorn View Post
    Slandering Smeargle
    Taking out Smeargle itself is not a difficult task. Its defenses are pitiful, with even defensive pokémon able to rip chunks out of its HP. As long as you are able to attack it with anything that is not a Ghost move, you should be able to take it out. What is difficult is mitigating Smeargle's attempts to survive and setup.

Since Smeargle likes using Spore/Dark Void to get the chance to setup, blocking such attempts coerce Smeargle to flee or die. Insomnia/Vital Spirit users are best, while Grass types can block Spore. Sleep talk users can give Smeargle a nasty surprise when it thinks it is in the clear. For Baton Pass sets, switching in a Haze or Clear Smog user can utterly render Smeargle's buff attempts for naught. Since Smeargle likes using Focus Sash to get an extra chance to setup, multihit moves are another way to reliably take it out, but as noted before, they must be out the second Smeargle hits the field.
    Spore also fails to work on overcoat. In singles one really nice counter to it is mandibuzz. Not only can mandibuzz ignore spore, but it can also use whirlwind on whatever smeargle baton passes into. Gotta love that underrated buzzard! Forretress can also carry overcoat so that can deal with the hazard setting types and take that last health point away with rapid spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' weedle View Post
    Smeargle is a great pokemon... For breeding and setup. Aside from that it is worthless. It has 3 great abilities, but has no use for them. Still you can make great use for it, so here is my set:
    Three types of hazards is a bit superfluous, it doesn't need rocks and spikes. You'd be better off with magic coat to bounce back taunts, king's shield to deal with enemy sweepers or super fang so it can do something even when its taunted. Smeargle has one of the worst cases of four move syndrome in the game, but it has a few great moves you won't see on other hazard setters. A better 6v6 singles harards smeargle would be

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 136 HP / 120 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - King's Shield
    - Stealth Rock/Spikes/sticky webs
    - Magic Coat
    - Spore

Other options
    Endeavour can be sneaky, first thing people do when they see a smeargle lead is try to break its sash or taunt it. Using endeavour can use smeargle low defences to its advantage and doesn't get taunted.
    Knock Off It will barely do any damage, but taking the item off an incoming espeon or grass type can be nice
    Super Fang Useful when an opponent uses taunt or switches in a magic bouncer (besides sableye)
    Rapid Spin can be handy if you're concerned about other leads such as forretress setting up against sableye

Of course, smeargle has way more potential, and of possibly a vastly different kind, in doubles/triples; certainly that access to spore/dark void cannot be forgotten though. It's because of this potential that it may be the undisputed king of VGC these days. Of course its main job there is to put the opposition to sleep and follow up with whatever other moves it's carrying, just to help out the big attackers (looking at you, xerneas!) and possibly even go full gimmick like forest's curse next to yveltal's oblivion wing. In doubles/triples formats, smeargle is almost certainly focus sashed, unlike in singles where it can easily run boosting move + substitute + berry of choice to act as a passer.
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

Eveyone said really good points about Smeargle! Smeargle has a lot of potential, and in all of them, Spore is the best attacks that comes every time! It goes without saying that it's Smeargle Key attack, and is the fastest user of this move too.

There's a question that comes in my mind: "How do you teach Transform to Smeargle???" I tried it one time, but the Sketch missed. I would appreciate to have the REAL way to teach it Transform, if it's real, as Smeargle is faster than Ditto...

Instead of a move-set, let's look at its 3 Abitlities, and somem ove i would choose:

Own Tempo: The Pokémon cannot be Confused while having this ability. If you teach Thrash, Outrage or Petal Dance to Smeargle, this ability is great! there's no confusion, and in Double, a partner can use Swagger on Smeargle to increass ATK by 2 levels withou confusion, but only worth if Smeargle knows Tharsh or Outrage, as Petal Dance is a Sp.Atk. I agree that it's not the best set for Smeargle, but can work in some in-game double battle fights.

Technician: Moves with a base power of 60 or less are boosted in power by 50%. Well, Teach it Base Power 60 moves to make them increase to 90, but smeargle dose't have much offesnive stats. Swift, Aerial Ace, Tackle (50), many moves ... depends on nature of Smeargle. A boosting move must accompanies the other moves. I don't beleive it's the best ability for Smeragle, honestly, even if its a really good one on other Pokemon.

Moody: At the end of every turn, a random stat is raised by two stages while another is lowered by one stage. This can be a good one, but a bad one. If a good stat is reduced, it's sad. It relies on luck, but if you are lucky, it can really help. If you Baton Pass those bosst, it's good too.

Some moves for Smergle, depends on what you prefer:

- V-Create could also be a good move, as it is so powerfull. Smeargle can learn all Legendery exclusive moves too.
    - Power Split can be used too if you want a really good offensive Smeragle, as you'll certainly face an opponent who have strong ATK or SpAtk. it will lower it's offensive, and raise yours, like on it is used on Shuckle.
    - Mind reader / Sheer Cold can also be used on Smeargle, has no Pokémon can resist that, except for the ones with Sturdy of course!
    - Seismic toss / Night Shade can be be considered, since Smergle Offensive is so small. The two can cover anything, since night Shade touch Ghosts, while Seismic toss touch Normals.
    - Dragon Rage can be considered on mini-beginning formats on early games, coz around Lv.5, no Pokemon have higher HP than 40. But for stronger, this move can be replaces easily.
    - If Transform can really be teached to Smergle, it makes it a faster user than Ditto, plus with addtional moves to Transform safely into something stronger than Smergle itself.
    - If you want to copy/transfer Smergle's really good abitlity (Technician/Moody) to your teammate in Double, There's Skill Swap or Entrainment to consider! Those moves are cool too!
    - Coil, Quiver Dance, Tail Glow, Cotton Guard, shell Samsh, Cosmic Power, Calm mind, Bulk Up, Work Up are all good boosting moves, depends on which moves you teached it.
    - Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge and Water Pledge, paired with starters that got one of these moves, can be really good in Doubles, as Smergle is the only Pokémon that can learn all 3 of these moves, making it flexible when using those cool moves!!! Of course that Smeragle has to have Technician as ability, as they will will be increased to 75 Power attacks!!!
    - Skull Bash is 130 aTK now, with a boost in Def. Smeragle gets STAB, so it is a much stronger move... he he he.. paired with Spore, Belly Drum and Baton pass could be a so good idea, except when facing ghosts...
    - Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up makes, I belive, Smergle the only user to gain STAB from Spit Up. Honestly, i don't use those, but at full boost, Spit Up is really stronger. pair with Spore of course. Ghost block it. Ouch!

Well, these are just ideas!!! i dont have any more ideas. the possibilites are endless for Smeragle. Some are better, some aren't. Depends on what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ericgall23 View Post
    - V-Create could also be a good move, as it is so powerfull. Smeargle can learn all Legendery exclusive moves too.
    - Power Split can be used too if you want a really good offensive Smeragle, as you'll certainly face an opponent who have strong ATK or SpAtk. it will lower it's offensive, and raise yours, like on it is used on Shuckle.
    - Mind reader / Sheer Cold can also be used on Smeargle, has no Pokémon can resist that, except for the ones with Sturdy of course!
    - Seismic toss / Night Shade can be be considered, since Smergle Offensive is so small. The two can cover anything, since night Shade touch Ghosts, while Seismic toss touch Normals.
    - Dragon Rage can be considered on mini-beginning formats on early games, coz around Lv.5, no Pokemon have higher HP than 40. But for stronger, this move can be replaces easily.
    - If Transform can really be teached to Smergle, it makes it a faster user than Ditto, plus with addtional moves to Transform safely into something stronger than Smergle itself.
    - If you want to copy/transfer Smergle's really good abitlity (Technician/Moody) to your teammate in Double, There's Skill Swap or Entrainment to consider! Those moves are cool too!
    - Coil, Quiver Dance, Tail Glow, Cotton Guard, shell Samsh, Cosmic Power, Calm mind, Bulk Up, Work Up are all good boosting moves, depends on which moves you teached it.
    - Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge and Water Pledge, paired with starters that got one of these moves, can be really good in Doubles, as Smergle is the only Pokémon that can learn all 3 of these moves, making it flexible when using those cool moves!!! Of course that Smeragle has to have Technician as ability, as they will will be increased to 75 Power attacks!!!
    - Skull Bash is 130 aTK now, with a boost in Def. Smeragle gets STAB, so it is a much stronger move... he he he.. paired with Spore, Belly Drum and Baton pass could be a so good idea, except when facing ghosts...
    - Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up makes, I belive, Smergle the only user to gain STAB from Spit Up. Honestly, i don't use those, but at full boost, Spit Up is really stronger. pair with Spore of course. Ghost block it. Ouch!

Well, these are just ideas!!! i dont have any more ideas. the possibilites are endless for Smeragle. Some are better, some aren't. Depends on what you want.
    I wouldn't recommend dragon rage at all. Even at level 50 most pokemon have well over 100 HP making super fang better able to do damage. Even something with a really low HP Stat like Alakazam isn't going to worry about 40 HP.

V-Create is also pretty useless given Smeargle's base attack stats of 20. Even max attack and boosted its not doing OHKOing something with decent bulk.

+2 252 Atk Smeargle V-create vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 214-252 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

It also will be unlikely to live long enough to land a skull bash, let alone boost and then skull bash. Its not really even bulky enough to set up defences with stockpile. I'm not sure you get just how frail smeargle is.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like special-boosting Smeargles don't get enough love.

Guernica
    Item: Focus Sash
    EVs/Nature: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Spore / Dark Void
    - Tail Glow
    - Baton Pass

It's a pretty basic set, of course, but Tail Glow is one impressive setup move. The nice thing is that this set supports a wide variety of teammates, and can be used in several tiers of play. On that note, you can ignore the EV spread if you like; there are better spreads but they will have to be tier-specific. Side note: in gameplay where speed and other stats can be passed at once, you might be better off situationally with Quiver Dance or Shell Smash. The recipient won't hit as hard, but the speed boost will help Smeargle get its Baton Pass off easier. Good recipients are plentiful, but I believe it works best with fast special attackers with good coverage options like Jolteon in RU, sort of the home tier for this set.

Side note: thoughts on a Geomancy-Power Herb-Baton Pass set? With Smeargle's frailty the loss of the Focus Sash might not be worth it but a Geomancy boost passed to any teammate of your choice sounds pretty fun.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

Van Gogh Get It, Boy!
    Smeargle@Salac Berry
    Timid nature
    Moody
    252 HP/252 Speed/4 Defense
    ~Spore
    ~Substitute
    ~Protect
    ~Baton Pass

Smeargle is really, really interesting. Gets damn near every move in the game. So of course, its stats, barring Speed (and even then, not by much) are in the toilet. But yeah- Smeargle can still work with a great deal of the moves it gets access to, first and foremost being Spore. Everything and its mother wants access to this move, and not without reason- 100% accurate, guaranteed to induce sleep, what's not to like? Substitute and Protect are to stall, allow that Ability to do its thing, and you Sub down enough, you activate the Berry for yet another boost. Finally, hit Baton Pass and give all those stat alterations (and possibly a Substitute) to another Pokémon, and let the chaos unfold!

Item gives Smeargle an additional Speed increase. Ability is for potentially huge stat buffs.

Sketchy Smashpass Shenanigans
    Smeargle@White Herb
    Timid nature
    Own Tempo/Moody
    252 HP/252 Speed/4 Defense
    ~Spore
    ~Substitute
    ~Shell Smash
    ~Baton Pass

If you want a slightly more reliable means of Baton Passing stat buffs, look no further. This set is essentially the same as the last one, except there's more focus on passing just the Substitute and the Shell Smash buffs. Nothing really to it.

Item ensures those pesky defensive drops don't go along for the ride. Ability is largely irrelevant, but Moody can work if you want to gamble with it.

Other options:
    *Shell Smash can be replaced with Stockpile, Cosmic Power, Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Amnesia, Iron Defense, Barrier, you get the idea, and the White Herb with the Liechi Berry, or Salac Berry, etc. Mix and match to suit your team's needs.
    *You can also go with a Power Herb and Geomancy, always worth a mention of some sort.

Abilities:
    *Own Tempo: Smeargle cannot be confused. If you for whatever reason don't wish to use Moody, you should default to this. It's not often anyone will try to confuse Smeargle, but at least it has a practical use with Smeargle's battle style.
    *Technician: Smeargle's attacks that have 60 base power or less will be 50% more powerful. A wonderful Ability in and of itself, and one can't deny Smeargle has the movepool to work with it... the problem lies more in its stats than anything else. I would say Smeargle has all the offensive capability of wet tissue paper, except doing so would be offensive to wet tissue paper.
    *Moody: Smeargle's Hidden Ability. At the end of each turn, one of Smeargle's stats, randomly chosen, will go up by two stages, while another randomly chosen stat will go down by one stage. If you're looking to Baton Pass stuff, and you're not especially picky about what or how much, you can get a lot of mileage out of this Ability. Hell, with the right stat buffs, you can keep Smeargle in for a long, long time before hitting Baton Pass and unleashing chaos. Just be forewarned that if you plan to play by Smogon rules, they outright ban this Ability, in their ongoing campaign to stamp all semblance of luck-based factors out of Pokémon fights.

Partners:
    Anything that needs anything Baton Passed to it. Literally.

Counters:
    Whimsicott springs readily to mind. Due to being a Grass-type, it switches in on Spore with impunity, and Prankster Taunt shuts Smeargle down cold.

Opinion:
    Smeargle is one of the more interesting Pokémon out there. Part of me wishes it had at least somewhat better attacking stats to better showcase that insane movepool, but another part of me (probably the more sensible part) realizes what an unstoppable monster Smeargle would be with better stats.

Prediction for next week:
    Muk

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 6 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 14 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade. Vote Missingno. for new SSB4 fighter!

Fizzy Bubbles info

Smeargle is a very interesting Pokémon and as VGC player, I find it one of the most useful and annoying pokes in vgc 16. Smeargle can be very predictable but still so effective. I can't begin to tell how frustrated I was when in a battle once an opposing smeargle landed three dark voids after my team kept missing attacks thanks to evasion moody boosts and then outspend as well thanks to moody but in the end i lost after I missed a precipice blades on a 1/2 health opposing groudon and mine was taken out by earth power. (SO CLOSE) but whatever lol it was only showdown and before i derail too much heres the most common set vgc players use nowadays

Mood Swings Really Can be Dangerous

Smeargle:
    Moves-
    -Dark Void
    -Follow Me
    -Spiky Shield/ King's Shield
    -Wide Guard/ Crafty Shield

Ability: Moody
    EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid

So this is your general run of the mill set, it's easy to say winning players will use the first two moves, but the real trouble sets in predicting the last two moves. Spiky shield blocks taunt and breaks opposing focus sashes and does damage in general, and in such a powerful format, any damage done is useful, whereas king's shield will not stop status but does cripple Mega Kang, Mence, Ray, and Mawile, Primal Groudon, or any physical attacker really that makes contact. Wide Guard can really stop Xerneas, Groudon, Kyogre, and Mega Salamence from doing their job in KOing both opponents at the same time and against icy wind, but crafty shield can help block dark voids, taunts, and thunder waves potentially headed your way. Dark Void is a kiss of death for some frailer pokemon and setup sweepers, and no pokemon in general likes to take turns of sleep when they could be attacking or supporting their team. Follow Me is a last ditch way to help support your team, and thanks to focus sash smeargle can take two hits minimum (if it isn't mega kang) before going down. Moody can be detrimental or a great boon to your team, as with speed, evasion, and accuracy boosts, smeargle can be hard to hit and hard to avoid, but losing those stats in exchange for attack doesn't help, and defenses, well smeargle has none. So unless you get three defense boosts in a row, don't expect to tank anything (which you have the sash for anyway). Some variations to the set can include transform, fake out, or a choice scarf, but for the most part, this is what you are likely to see. Every VGC 16 player will have to encounter, and perhaps use, a lot of these aspiring artists. As one of the big six this year, it certainly earns its noble title. You'd better have an answer to it or else your pokemon will be defeated in their sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by ampfire101 View Post
    Smeargle is a very interesting Pokémon and as VGC player, I find it one of the most useful and annoying pokes in vgc 16. Smeargle can be very predictable but still so effective. I can't begin to tell how frustrated I was when in a battle once an opposing smeargle landed three dark voids after my team kept missing attacks thanks to evasion moody boosts and then outspend as well thanks to moody but in the end i lost after I missed a precipice blades on a 1/2 health opposing groudon and mine was taken out by earth power. (SO CLOSE) but whatever lol it was only showdown and before i derail too much heres the most common set vgc players use nowadays

Mood Swings Really Can be Dangerous

Smeargle:
    Moves-
    -Dark Void
    -Follow Me
    -Spiky Shield/ King's Shield
    -Wide Guard/ Crafty Shield

EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid

So this is your general run of the mill set, it's easy to say winning players will use the first two moves, but the real trouble sets in predicting the last two moves. Spiky shield blocks taunt and breaks opposing focus sashes and does damage in general, and in such a powerful format, any damage done is useful, whereas king's shield will not stop status but does cripple Mega Kang, Mence, Ray, and Mawile, Primal Groudon, or any physical attacker really that makes contact. Wide Guard can really stop Xerneas, Groudon, Kyogre, and Mega Salamence from doing their job in KOing both opponents at the same time and against icy wind, but crafty shield can help block dark voids, taunts, and thunder waves potentially headed your way. Dark Void is a kiss of death for some frailer pokemon and setup sweepers, and no pokemon in general likes to take turns of sleep when they could be attacking or supporting their team. Follow Me is a last ditch way to help support your team, and thanks to focus sash smeargle can take two hits minimum (if it isn't mega kang) before going down. Moody can be detrimental or a great boon to your team, as with speed, evasion, and accuracy boosts, smeargle can be hard to hit and hard to avoid, but losing those stats in exchange for attack doesn't help, and defenses, well smeargle has none. So unless you get three defense boosts in a row, don't expect to tank anything (which you have the sash for anyway). Some variations to the set can include transform, fake out, or a choice scarf, but for the most part, this is what you are likely to see. Every VGC 16 player will have to encounter, and perhaps use, a lot of these aspiring artists. As one of the big six this year, it certainly earns its noble title. You'd better have an answer to it or else your pokemon will be defeated in their sleep.
    I feel like every VGC player this year has at least one story like yours, if not dozens lol

Actually though I would say Fake Out is one of its most common moves, especially on Big 6 variant teams. I think it was the 4th most common move on Smeargle on Battle Spot.
    Trust The Process

FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post18385672) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

The bane of my VGC existence. Satan must be pleased at this thing's popularity. That little artist dog is the face of pure evil.

Smeargle
    Nature: Timid/Jolly
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    - Dark Void
    - Spiky Shield/King's Shield
    - Fake Out/Follow Me/Wide Guard/Crafty Shield/Transform
    - Fake Out/Follow Me/Wide Guard/Crafty Shield/Transform

I have no further words. You know what the set does.

One option that people haven't mentioned is Focus Sash+Endeavour+Ice Shard. As Smeargle is so frail and relatively slow the opponent can move first, knocking Smeargle down to its sash and then use Endeavour to knock the opponent down to 1HP too. Smeargle can then use Ice Shard to knock the opponent out or force them to switch.
    Currently trying to complete the Pokedex in every language.

2638-1756-0896
    Friend Safari: Psychic - Munna, Wobbuffet, Duosion

Quote Originally Posted by Galvantula1992 View Post
    One option that people haven't mentioned is Focus Sash+Endeavour+Ice Shard. As Smeargle is so frail and relatively slow the opponent can move first, knocking Smeargle down to its sash and then use Endeavour to knock the opponent down to 1HP too. Smeargle can then use Ice Shard to knock the opponent out or force them to switch.
    It's a pretty fun set, I'll give you that. But then again, given Smeargle's stats, I'd rather just use Aron to do the same thing, potentially multiple times thanks to the Shell Bell. Smeargle does have the advantage of better moves to run alongside that gimmick, though. Not to mention Ice Shard hits ghosts, unlike Rattata's Quick Attack.
    Last edited by generic villager #5; 15th August 2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Rattata =/= Aron

Quote Originally Posted by generic villager #5 View Post
    It's a pretty fun set, I'll give you that. But then again, given Smeargle's stats, I'd rather just use Aron to do the same thing, potentially multiple times thanks to the Shell Bell. Smeargle does have the advantage of better moves to run alongside that gimmick, though. Not to mention Ice Shard hits ghosts, unlike Aron's Quick Attack.
    Aron doesn't learn Quick Attack, or any other priority moves for that matter. FEAron relies on Sandstorm support from Tyranitar or Hippowdown to get KOs.

Gimmicky and relies on prediction, but it can eliminate almost any pokemon

Smeargle @ Custap Berry
    Jolly nature
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Def/Sp.Def
    -Endure
    -Destiny Bond
    -Spore
    -Taunt

Use Endure to survive the hit and activate the Custap Berry, then use priority Destiny Bond for the KO on the next turn. Interesting option to revenge kill powerful setup sweepers that lack priority moves if they managed to set up, but situational and sacrificing one pokémon just to take out one other isn't always ideal, it's primarily a last ditch effort to eliminate stuff like Xerneas, Blaziken, Mega Salamence with Dragon Dance, Swords Dance Primal Groudon, or Calm Mind Kyogre if they managed to set up. It completely relies on your enemy not seeing Destiny Bond coming though, as they could just use a stat boosting move instead to wait out the Custap Berry. Taunt can prevent them from doing that, but Smeargle most likely can't afford the turn to Taunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    Aron doesn't learn Quick Attack, or any other priority moves for that matter. FEAron relies on Sandstorm support from Tyranitar or Hippowdown to get KOs.
    Meant to talk about Rattata's Endeavor+QA. Sorry for the confusion, fixed my post.

Ah, Smeargle. One of the most interesting Pokemon in the game usage-wise, Smeargle has access to every attack in the game thanks to its signature move, Sketch. Although Smeargle gets looked over a lot in Singles and most Smogon formats due to its low stats and the fact that a number of Pokemon do its typical job as a lead better (think Amoongus, Sableye-M, Klefki, Forretress, etc.), Smeargle absolutely dominates in the VGC '16 format. The Painter Pokemon sees so much usage in VGC that it's spawned countless memes and is featured on the "Big 6", a team used in VGC that is considered one of the best there is.

Epic Mickey On Steroids
    Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Void
    - Spiky Shield
    - Follow Me
    - Fake Out/Wide Guard

This set from Smogon is probably the most common Smeargle set in VGC. Dark Void is unbanned this year, allowing Smeargle the possibility to put both of the opponent's active Pokemon to sleep at the same time. This can give Geomancy Xerneas a chance to switch in and set up, and allow for more frail Pokemon to get a free switch without worrying about taking damage. Spiky Shield is the ever-necessary Protect move present on nearly every VGC 'mon, and the free chip damage onto Pokemon going after Smeargle to prevent a Dark Void is welcome. King's Shield could also be used in this slot to cripple opposing physical attackers like Mega Kangaskhan that might want to Fake Out Smeargle to break its Sash. Follow Me is a great option on this set, although Crafty Shield is an equally great move to run (to counter opposing Smeargle and status). Fake Out can be used to flinch a Pokemon on turn 1, allowing Smeargle's partner to pull off something without as much pressure. Wide Guard could be used in this slot to protect against attacks that hit both of your Pokemon at the same time, a threat that has always been very present in VGC.

In conclusion: Although a little gimmicky and requiring a lot of battle/prediction skills to function, Smeargle is a welcome addition to almost any VGC '16 team. I'm sure that its dominance in the format has caught Game Freak's attention, though, so we might see another DV ban in '17.
    Time will tell, I guess.
    Last edited by Resolute; 16th August 2016 at 9:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
    Ah, Smeargle. One of the most interesting Pokemon in the game usage-wise, Smeargle has access to every attack in the game thanks to its signature move, Sketch. Although Smeargle gets looked over a lot in Singles and most Smogon formats due to its low stats and the fact that a number of Pokemon do its typical job as a lead better (think Amoongus, Sableye-M, Klefki, Forretress, etc.), Smeargle absolutely dominates in the VGC '16 format. The Painter Pokemon sees so much usage in VGC that it's spawned countless memes and is featured on the "Big 6", a team used in VGC that is considered one of the best there is.

Epic Mickey On Steroids
    Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Void
    - Spiky Shield
    - Follow Me
    - Fake Out/Wide Guard

This set from Smogon is probably the most common Smeargle set in VGC. Dark Void is unbanned this year, allowing Smeargle the possibility to put both of the opponent's active Pokemon to sleep at the same time. This can give Geomancy Xerneas a chance to switch in and set up, and allow for more frail Pokemon to get a free switch without worrying about taking damage. Spiky Shield is the ever-necessary Protect move present on nearly every VGC 'mon, and the free chip damage onto Pokemon going after Smeargle to prevent a Dark Void is welcome. King's Shield could also be used in this slot to cripple opposing physical attackers like Mega Kangaskhan that might want to Fake Out Smeargle to break its Sash. Follow Me is a great option on this set, although I personally prefer Magic Guard (to counter opposing Smeargle and Amoongus). Fake Out can be used to flinch a Pokemon on turn 1, allowing Smeargle's partner to pull off something without as much pressure. Wide Guard could be used in this slot to protect against attacks that hit both of your Pokemon at the same time, a threat that has always been very present in VGC.

In conclusion: Although a little gimmicky and requiring a lot of battle/prediction skills to function, Smeargle is a welcome addition to almost any VGC '16 team. I'm sure that its dominance in the format has caught Game Freak's attention, though, so we might see another DV ban in '17.
    Time will tell, I guess.
    I assume you mean Magic Coat instead of Magic Guard, but Crafty Shield is generally better. Magic Coat can potentially work out well, but it's also riskier. While it can bounce Dark Void back to both your opponents, it doesn't protect Smeargle's teammate. It also won't protect its teammate from Spore from Amoongus (and even if you bounce a Spore aimed at Smeargle back at Amoongus, it won't do anything since Amoongus is immune), T-Wave from Thundurus, etc. Crafty Shield completely shuts down any status moves aimed at BOTH your Pokemon.
    Last edited by EKZ1505; 16th August 2016 at 8:32 PM.
    Trust The Process

PotW VGC Writer

Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post18385672) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

Quote Originally Posted by EKZ1505 View Post
    I feel like every VGC player this year has at least one story like yours, if not dozens lol

Actually though I would say Fake Out is one of its most common moves, especially on Big 6 variant teams. I think it was the 4th most common move on Smeargle on Battle Spot.
    Really? Hmm I find that strange because most players I see on showdown and battle spot don't carry Fake Out. On big 6 teams I see Kangaskhan as the primary fake out user because Smeargle threatens with dark void and when xerneas and smeargle are sent out together, there is the immediate threat of a Geomancy boost and a dark void in play so a lot of times I see players forego fake out to defend themselves or both pokemon from either status or spread attacks. Fake out did have its own niche at one point this year but I do not see it being used a lot ever. I personally like using Smeargle without Fake Out so Kang can handle that and makes both together pretty well. But to me fake out should only be used when Kangaskhan or another potential fake out user like weavile or mienshao is not an option. Smeargle has a lot of options and when other good pokemon can use fake out, i don't see the point in wasting the moveslot on it but thats just me. Like I said above, it's a variation to the typical set but it can be useful where possible and necessary. I once even saw someone use psych up smeargle to copy my Xerneas's geomancy boost then baton pass to his own Xerneas and then geomancy again and just swept me but that's what I mean. Teams have to adapt to what their party can or cannot do and most of the time, teams can and will use another fake out user and preserve that move slot for something else. Besides, fake out is more common than psych up and baton pass

I assume you mean Magic Coat instead of Magic Guard, but Crafty Shield is generally better. Magic Coat can potentially work out well, but it's also riskier. While it can bounce Dark Void back to both your opponents, it doesn't protect Smeargle's teammate. It also won't protect its teammate from Spore from Amoongus (and even if you bounce a Spore aimed at Smeargle back at Amoongus, it won't do anything since Amoongus is immune), T-Wave from Thundurus, etc. Crafty Shield completely shuts down any status moves aimed at BOTH your Pokemon.
    Right. I guess I meant just from Smeargle. And I did mean Magic Shield. Edited.

Quote Originally Posted by ampfire101 View Post
    Really? Hmm I find that strange because most players I see on showdown and battle spot don't carry Fake Out. On big 6 teams I see Kangaskhan as the primary fake out user because Smeargle threatens with dark void and when xerneas and smeargle are sent out together, there is the immediate threat of a Geomancy boost and a dark void in play so a lot of times I see players forego fake out to defend themselves or both pokemon from either status or spread attacks. Fake out did have its own niche at one point this year but I do not see it being used a lot ever. I personally like using Smeargle without Fake Out so Kang can handle that and makes both together pretty well. But to me fake out should only be used when Kangaskhan or another potential fake out user like weavile or mienshao is not an option. Smeargle has a lot of options and when other good pokemon can use fake out, i don't see the point in wasting the moveslot on it but thats just me. Like I said above, it's a variation to the typical set but it can be useful where possible and necessary. I once even saw someone use psych up smeargle to copy my Xerneas's geomancy boost then baton pass to his own Xerneas and then geomancy again and just swept me but that's what I mean. Teams have to adapt to what their party can or cannot do and most of the time, teams can and will use another fake out user and preserve that move slot for something else. Besides, fake out is more common than psych up and baton pass
    Yep it was 4th after DV, Spiky Shield, and Follow Me, so it definitely is on a lot of sets, but the 2nd through 5th moves (Wide Guard was 5th) were all within roughly 10 percentage points of each other. So it's very possible that you just didn't run into many or they simply didn't use it (like if it didn't make sense to use Fake Out against your team).

Fake Out next to Xerneas still has value, especially against Taunt or Trick Room users or the Xerneas mirror-match. Psych Up Smeargle tho? That's generally pretty bad and very risky. Props to your opponent for pulling it off once. Scarf Smeargle often run Fake Out as well as a suicude lead to guarantee their Fake Out goes before things like (non-Inner Focus) Kangaskhan, Weavile, etc.
    Trust The Process

PotW VGC Writer

Yep it was 4th after DV, Spiky Shield, and Follow Me, so it definitely is on a lot of sets, but the 2nd through 5th moves (Wide Guard was 5th) were all within roughly 10 percentage points of each other. So it's very possible that you just didn't run into many or they simply didn't use it (like if it didn't make sense to use Fake Out against your team).

Fake Out next to Xerneas still has value, especially against Taunt or Trick Room users or the Xerneas mirror-match. Psych Up Smeargle tho? That's generally pretty bad and very risky. Props to your opponent for pulling it off once. Scarf Smeargle often run Fake Out as well as a suicude lead to guarantee their Fake Out goes before things like (non-Inner Focus) Kangaskhan, Weavile, etc.
    I suppose it'd be useful in a format where setup is so key. That just doesn't fly with me if Kangaskhan is an option. I use Weavile, Groudon, Xerneas, Salamence, Smeargle, and Cresselia and Weavile is my option for fake out. I mean like Xerneas and Weavile vs Smeargle and something else, the Choice Scarf fake out will go before Weavile I get that but then what? If you use fake out on xerneas then weavile can still use it on smeargle's partner, and if smeargle uses it on weavile then the partners can set up or whatever. Unless I mispredict and use fake out on smeargle after it uses it on xerneas then theres nothing I see that can be accomplished. Like that's just me, best case scenario is smeargle's partner happens to be a bronzong and I use fake out on smeargle only after it uses it on xerneas then you use gyro ball for the KO, but if theres a bronzong then one can assume it's a trick room team, in which case Choice Scarf could be detrimental to smeargle unless it goes down or I just target the bronzong slot and whatever comes in after it faints while smeargle can't do a thing. That's why I don't see myself using fake out really. I understand there are situations where it can work but I haven't seen fake out or choice scarf smeargle in quite a long time so I didn't include it in the set I posted, though I get that it works for some people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast