Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #147

Quote Originally Posted by ampfire101 View Post
    I suppose it'd be useful in a format where setup is so key. That just doesn't fly with me if Kangaskhan is an option. I use Weavile, Groudon, Xerneas, Salamence, Smeargle, and Cresselia and Weavile is my option for fake out. I mean like Xerneas and Weavile vs Smeargle and something else, the Choice Scarf fake out will go before Weavile I get that but then what? If you use fake out on xerneas then weavile can still use it on smeargle's partner, and if smeargle uses it on weavile then the partners can set up or whatever. Unless I mispredict and use fake out on smeargle after it uses it on xerneas then theres nothing I see that can be accomplished. Like that's just me, best case scenario is smeargle's partner happens to be a bronzong and I use fake out on smeargle only after it uses it on xerneas then you use gyro ball for the KO, but if theres a bronzong then one can assume it's a trick room team, in which case Choice Scarf could be detrimental to smeargle unless it goes down or I just target the bronzong slot and whatever comes in after it faints while smeargle can't do a thing. That's why I don't see myself using fake out really. I understand there are situations where it can work but I haven't seen fake out or choice scarf smeargle in quite a long time so I didn't include it in the set I posted, though I get that it works for some people
    I'm not saying it's the go to move in every situation if they have it and hold the Scarf. In the situation you describe, there's very little reason not to just Dark Void. Your Weavile can Fake Out Xern and prevent the Geomancy for a turn, but then Smeargle gets a free DV and you have to hope they miss. Or you can Fake Out Smeargle and let their Xern set up, but then you don't know the next turn if they have Wide Guard or Follow Me to keep their Xerneas safe from yours, and they matched your setup. I agree I haven't seen as many Choice Scarf ones lately, but Fake Out is very common on Sash sets.
    FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post18385672) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Galvantula1992 View Post
    One option that people haven't mentioned is Focus Sash+Endeavour+Ice Shard. As Smeargle is so frail and relatively slow the opponent can move first, knocking Smeargle down to its sash and then use Endeavour to knock the opponent down to 1HP too. Smeargle can then use Ice Shard to knock the opponent out or force them to switch.
    LOL, i like this set too. i run sash+endeavor+E-speed on mine with some funny results (spiky shield, spore). i didnt consider to put ice shard on one to finish off the weakened pkmn, its something to consider.

3ds fc: 3926 6866-2593 ign (XY) Nelliel, fighting: Sawk Machoke Tyrogue. polar pattern Vivillion, ign sun: Nelliel
    2ds FC is 4485-2497-2628 with bermite, delibird, cloyster

latest shiny ;656;
    GMT-5hrs

FEAR is a gimmick and not viable.

Whoever's writing this POTW, please make it perfectly clear how Smeargle's usefulness is dependent on the format. It's pretty horrible in the upper tiers of Smogon Singles because it's super easy to take advantage of, plus it's outclassed by other suicide leads that don't cry if the opponent has a Mega Sableye or Mega Diancie. The Baton Pass nerfs also killed its only good set for OU.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    FEAR is a gimmick and not viable.

Whoever's writing this POTW, please make it perfectly clear how Smeargle's usefulness is dependent on the format. It's pretty horrible in the upper tiers of Smogon Singles because it's super easy to take advantage of, plus it's outclassed by other suicide leads that don't cry if the opponent has a Mega Sableye or Mega Diancie. The Baton Pass nerfs also killed its only good set for OU.
    SmashPass and similar sets can still be used in Battle Spot Singles, and if you're one of those masochists who uses full BP chains in AG, Ingrain Smeargle is invaluable, but yeah Smeargle is basically useless in any Singles tier where BP is restricted.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 18th August 2016 at 12:57 PM.

Default My personal vgc doubles Smeargle set

Reflective Painting
    -Tailwind
    -Dark Void
    -Transform
    -Spiky Shield
    Focus Sash
    Moody
    Timid
    4 HP/252 Def/ 252 Speed

This was the set i used in VGC and it worked really well for me, however there were occasions where I could become serious taunt bait if I didn't predict right. I teamed Smeargle up with my Xerneas and it would support it with Tailwind and or Dark Void, I could also help peel out more damage by either transforming into my opponent's Pokémon or whomever my partnering Pokémon is at the time (Xerneas, Kanghaskan...) Making it even more of a pain in the neck to deal with. (Example: Think two Xerneas, both managing to pull off a Geomancy boost...scary sight). Spiky Shield is also there, I chose this over King Shield as it made me immune to taunt, the possible damage to physical attackers is cool too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12