Page 168 of 171 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171 LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 4263

Thread: Amourshipping Thread V3

  1. #4176
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    12,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citronic Gear On View Post
    I fail to see how that's a problem. She's been romantically interested in him all along, and I think it's already clear enough from the XY/XY&Z series that she has long wanted to emulate certain personality traits of his, particularly his "never give up" attitude.
    My problem is that the line in the original is far too one-sided. I don't find it as ambiguous as you do.

    The dub line is the one I prefer because it doesn't lean towards the 'I wanna marry Ash' meaning but rather the 'I respect Ash and wanna be like him' meaning.


  2. #4177
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    My problem is that the line in the original is far too one-sided. I don't find it as ambiguous as you do.

    The dub line is the one I prefer because it doesn't lean towards the 'I wanna marry Ash' meaning but rather the 'I respect Ash and wanna be like him' meaning.
    I get what you're saying, but I mean the whole point was that she was trying to confess her love to him. The English dub version pretty much turns it into a generic "I really admire certain aspects of you" line, eliminating the confession aspect of it. Of course, in the end, it's all a moot point because then she kisses him (and if that doesn't drill it into his dense noggin, then I don't know what will) but hopefully you see what I'm saying.
    Citronic gear: Giving Ash sciencegasms and afros from 2013-2016.

  3. #4178
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nimbasa City
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Well, now that I've watched the dub, it somehow feels bland to me.
    If Serena said "You are my goal!" to Ash, it would've probably had more impact and will set a strong message to him.
    I guess the dub wanted to set it more of a goal thing than a two-meaning interpretation.

    On the other hand how she said it in this episode kind of resonates with her friendly personality which I didn't mind in the end.

    The thing I didn't like was the music and it kind of ruined the mood for me. I loved the moment when the music changes in the Japanese version during the 'goal' scene and when she started running up the escalator. I especially loved Meloetta's theme (I think it was that) being played in that part.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper Xero View Post
    It's because somebody (on youtube) is somehow getting the dubbed episodes a few weeks before their set to air on CN. Last week, they uploaded episode 46, so 47 may be out in a few hours.

    Edit: watch the dubbed version here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB6aWoScCfk
    Woo! Thanks for giving us the link.

    Quote Originally Posted by Epicocity View Post
    You really haven't been paying attention have you. In the last week or so we got news that, in the end, it doesn't matter if the anime ends. For the moment, we have what the endgame is. Yajima and a producer confirmed that Amourshipping is the endgame (at least, that's how I feel it's to be interpreted). It doesn't matter whether or not the show ends, really, because it isn't what Pokemon has been about in the first place. It's about the journey, not the end result. Same with Amourshipping, in some sense.
    Why are you still replying to that guy anyways? You know that he's trying to troll us so you might as well leave him be.
    Don't worry about it.
    Last edited by TTNH03; 8th January 2017 at 12:05 AM.


    Credit goes to:
    Tyranitarquake for the Banner!

  4. #4179
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    My problem is that the line in the original is far too one-sided. I don't find it as ambiguous as you do.

    The dub line is the one I prefer because it doesn't lean towards the 'I wanna marry Ash' meaning but rather the 'I respect Ash and wanna be like him' meaning.
    But then that comes down to your own interpretation. The dub forces the interpretation on you where the original line allows you to make your decision about what she means. In fact the dub seems like its trying to cut the impact of what happens a minute later down. Regardless of whether you ship Amour or not, the impact of that scene is Serena having the confidence to do something she would have never done at the beginning. In that sense, she's emulating both sides of "You are my goal". She's acting more like Ash in going for what she wants while also impressing upon him that he is also something she wants. It doesn't dilute her character at all. It closes off both arcs of her character nicely.

    In other words, by removing the original ambiguity that was meant to be present, it dilutes her intentions and actions. At least in my opinion. It's fine that you seem to read her original line the other way, but that's the beauty of it: it can be read in two ways in the original.
    Dare to Be Silly!

    Ancienverse AU Fanfiction

    Love in the Time of Teamwork
    Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash to want to take part, but she had no idea the ways in which it would change their lives for good or ill. She was confident, however, that by the end of that week, something between herself and Ash would be different. Amourshipping.

    Remaining stories can be found in this community here.

  5. #4180
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Epicocity View Post
    But then that comes down to your own interpretation. The dub forces the interpretation on you where the original line allows you to make your decision about what she means. [...] In other words, by removing the original ambiguity that was meant to be present, it dilutes her intentions and actions. At least in my opinion. It's fine that you seem to read her original line the other way, but that's the beauty of it: it can be read in two ways in the original.
    This right here. Serena's line in the Japanese version came off as more ambiguous. As you said, "You are my goal" could mean two things: 1) Ash is literally Serena's goal (which he is); or 2) She strives to be like him (which she does). Regardless of which she actually meant, she worded it in a way that Ash (being as dense as he is) would understand. Personally, I like to think she meant it both ways: She wants Ash, but she also wants to be like Ash. I'm not too fond either of the dub picking one interpretation and forcing that one down the viewers' throats. It would have been better if the line had been as ambiguous as it was in the Japanese version.

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)

  6. #4181
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satomine Night View Post
    This right here. Serena's line in the Japanese version came off as more ambiguous. As you said, "You are my goal" could mean two things: 1) Ash is literally Serena's goal (which he is); or 2) She strives to be like him (which she does). Regardless of which she actually meant, she worded it in a way that Ash (being as dense as he is) would understand. Personally, I like to think she meant it both ways: She wants Ash, but she also wants to be like Ash. I'm not too fond either of the dub picking one interpretation and forcing that one down the viewers' throats. It would have been better if the line had been as ambiguous as it was in the Japanese version.
    I watched the dub and it wasnt that great but wasnt that bad either.

    I have mixed feelings about it mainly because of how the dub removed the lines that made the scene ambiguous as the 'I want to become like you' has removed the 'you're gonna be mine' meaning as I call it, as the dub line made it pretty straight forward. In a sense that it removed the impact that the scene had when the episode first aired. The people working for dub didn't seem to get that.

    I do like the 'You'll like me' line as it had a similar meaning to the sub, still having that teasing as she had in the original japanese version.

    Anyway, original is better so I'm sticking to the subs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citronic Gear On View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I mean the whole point was that she was trying to confess her love to him. The English dub version pretty much turns it into a generic "I really admire certain aspects of you" line, eliminating the confession aspect of it. Of course, in the end, it's all a moot point because then she kisses him (and if that doesn't drill it into his dense noggin, then I don't know what will) but hopefully you see what I'm saying.
    Oh I'm pretty sure it did alright. That's why he looked the way he is now in Sun and Moon...
    Last edited by CDVEN; 8th January 2017 at 4:46 AM.
    Time for some Shameless Self Promotion!


    Having accomplished what she had been aiming for during her time as Kalos Queen for two years, Serena decided to end her career as a performer and starts to pursue a new goal, to be with her childhood crush; Ash Ketchum and another one that it is yet to be discovered.



    After another day in school done, Ash receives a letter from an old friend. Who is it from?

  7. #4182
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Minerva
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satomine Night View Post
    This right here. Serena's line in the Japanese version came off as more ambiguous. As you said, "You are my goal" could mean two things: 1) Ash is literally Serena's goal (which he is); or 2) She strives to be like him (which she does). Regardless of which she actually meant, she worded it in a way that Ash (being as dense as he is) would understand. Personally, I like to think she meant it both ways: She wants Ash, but she also wants to be like Ash. I'm not too fond either of the dub picking one interpretation and forcing that one down the viewers' throats. It would have been better if the line had been as ambiguous as it was in the Japanese version.
    I watched the dub version as well and to tell the truth, I'm not really surprised at all about how this came out. I already expected something like this will happen ever since this episode aired in Japan. I knew that the dub version will be presented in a different manner. Not unlike the original ver where there is this "tone/ theme" that really brings the endgame of Amourshipping for XY&Z series. I guess the staff who are responsible for dubbing this episode (XY&Z in general) saw that the original scripts (referring to Japanese scripts) were too much to handle considering this is a kids show.
    Omega Ruby Team

    Zabanya Gundam Mk II Mudrock Justice Rosso Aegis Arios Gundam

    Credits to PK Paraiso

  8. #4183
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZGMF-X666S Legend View Post
    I watched the dub version as well and to tell the truth, I'm not really surprised at all about how this came out. I already expected something like this will happen ever since this episode aired in Japan. I knew that the dub version will be presented in a different manner. Not unlike the original ver where there is this "tone/ theme" that really brings the endgame of Amourshipping for XY&Z series. I guess the staff who are responsible for dubbing this episode (XY&Z in general) saw that the original scripts (referring to Japanese scripts) were too much to handle considering this is a kids show.
    I honestly don't think that's the case. The dub hasn't really shied away from some of the overt romantic references this series, even going so far as having Miette ask "Are you two an item?" in XYZ 20, which really has no other interpretation. I really think it was just a case of them assuming (as every translator is different and has different interpretations) that this was the interpretation the original was going for despite it really being open-ended. Doesn't help that they match lip-flaps, but it really cuts the impact of the scene for a dub-only viewer. So, to sum up, not because it's a kid's show but because the translator and script writer decided this was the interpretation.
    Dare to Be Silly!

    Ancienverse AU Fanfiction

    Love in the Time of Teamwork
    Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash to want to take part, but she had no idea the ways in which it would change their lives for good or ill. She was confident, however, that by the end of that week, something between herself and Ash would be different. Amourshipping.

    Remaining stories can be found in this community here.

  9. #4184
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Her main motivation for Serena was to go on a travel to meet up with her childhood friend Satoshi, she has felt a great love for him since they lived together in Pallet Town.
    Since then, Satoshi and Serena have shared concerns, experiences, words, strong feelings, love between them has been born, grown up demonstrate in many moments and lips/cheek kiss are canon and real.
    Everyone has dreams to fulfill and can always see beyond all this.
    Serena likes the person she really loves in her life, Satoshi. He loves her.
    Life is a constant struggle to achieve things with effort and dedication, Saigomade akiramenai! Don't give up till it's over!.
    Last edited by SatoSere; 8th January 2017 at 9:32 AM.

  10. #4185
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Epicocity View Post
    I honestly don't think that's the case. The dub hasn't really shied away from some of the overt romantic references this series, even going so far as having Miette ask "Are you two an item?" in XYZ 20, which really has no other interpretation. I really think it was just a case of them assuming (as every translator is different and has different interpretations) that this was the interpretation the original was going for despite it really being open-ended. Doesn't help that they match lip-flaps, but it really cuts the impact of the scene for a dub-only viewer. So, to sum up, not because it's a kid's show but because the translator and script writer decided this was the interpretation.
    I think this is more likely - the translator went with what he/she thought that line meant. What gets me is that they could have directly translated it: "You are my goal." It would have been just as ambiguous as in the original Japanese version. Instead, the translator took one possible meaning and went with that one, rather than leaving it ambiguous.

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)

  11. #4186
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    91

    Default

    a bit disapointed about the dup. I dont know why but somehow I expectet a bit more. The Music didnt fit very much imho the originial was better. Now I have to wait for the german version, but since they translate it from english, I dont think they would change alot. But yeah, kissing in Cartoons/Anime isnt that bad, so they wont cut it out
    They did it ! They really did it !! #27thOctober

  12. #4187
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Down the Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    6,017

    Default

    Not a big fan of "You are my goal! Next time I'll be a more attractive woman", even if it has multiple meanings and maybe it sounds better in Japanese than it does in English.

    They should have just played off the "Never Give Up Till the End" catchphrase that was a fixture throughout their interactions. I don't know, maybe something like "You taught me to 'Never give up until the end'. I won't ever give up on meeting you again." Pretty cheesy stuff, but better than what I felt sounded too regressive.
    Last edited by Maldread; 8th January 2017 at 6:20 PM.

  13. #4188
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satomine Night View Post
    I think this is more likely - the translator went with what he/she thought that line meant. What gets me is that they could have directly translated it: "You are my goal." It would have been just as ambiguous as in the original Japanese version. Instead, the translator took one possible meaning and went with that one, rather than leaving it ambiguous.
    I think part of it has to do with the lip flaps...maybe...All I know is one series I've read had like 4 different translations of a characters line going from "I will defeat you." (unofficial manga) to "I will destroy you." (subbed anime) to "You will pay dearly for your transgressions." (dubbed anime) to "We revoke your right to exist." (official manga). All mean the same but have wildly different connotations. Clearly, in this case, the translator decided that the amour context of the line wasn't the correct one despite it being in a scene where they kiss...baffles me, but what can you do?
    Dare to Be Silly!

    Ancienverse AU Fanfiction

    Love in the Time of Teamwork
    Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash to want to take part, but she had no idea the ways in which it would change their lives for good or ill. She was confident, however, that by the end of that week, something between herself and Ash would be different. Amourshipping.

    Remaining stories can be found in this community here.

  14. #4189
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    12,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Not a big fan of "You are my goal! Next time I'll be a more attractive woman", even if it has multiple meanings and maybe it sounds better in Japanese than it does in English.
    Honestly, the 'attractive woman' part makes it way less ambiguous.

    It just screams 'I wanna become more attractive so you will like me' which is so...BAD. I don't need Serena's last words being that she wants to conquer Ash and become prettier for him. It takes away from her development. The dub line is more in line with all of Serena's character development and DOESN'T end her story with a desire to make a guy fall in love with her.


  15. #4190
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Honestly, the 'attractive woman' part makes it way less ambiguous.

    It just screams 'I wanna become more attractive so you will like me' which is so...BAD. I don't need Serena's last words being that she wants to conquer Ash and become prettier for him. It takes away from her development. The dub line is more in line with all of Serena's character development and DOESN'T end her story with a desire to make a guy fall in love with her.
    Except the general translation for it is "more charming woman" which has...a very different connotation. "Attractive" only has one, I agree. But "charming" can mean anything, really. I just don't understand why people keep saying that because Serena wants to be with Ash and has that as one of her goals, that it completely invalidates her character development and other goal. It doesn't; if anything, her character development would have never come to the point that it did without Ash in her life, helping her to push forward. The two become intertwined, but the fact that Serena says this, kisses him and then still walks away speaks more to her character than any words. She knows what she wants to do, but also recognizes which she would actively pursue.
    Dare to Be Silly!

    Ancienverse AU Fanfiction

    Love in the Time of Teamwork
    Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash to want to take part, but she had no idea the ways in which it would change their lives for good or ill. She was confident, however, that by the end of that week, something between herself and Ash would be different. Amourshipping.

    Remaining stories can be found in this community here.

  16. #4191
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    France
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Honestly, the 'attractive woman' part makes it way less ambiguous.

    It just screams 'I wanna become more attractive so you will like me' which is so...BAD. I don't need Serena's last words being that she wants to conquer Ash and become prettier for him. It takes away from her development. The dub line is more in line with all of Serena's character development and DOESN'T end her story with a desire to make a guy fall in love with her.
    A lot of people don't want to talk to you because you look like a guy who wants to bash Serena and carefully hate on Amour but I just want to say :
    EVEN if she said "you are my goal" in the dub , what is the problem ? Can you tell me why did she go to Hoenn in the first place ? To become more attractive ? No, She went to Hoenn to improve in her first main dream : Kalos queen , if she wanted to she could have choose to travel to Kanto with Ash and that was not really hard to do but she choosed her goal instead of Ash who basically showed that he is not her main goal and not a priority at all.

    If it was really a priority she could have rejected Palermo and just stay with Ash instead, she didn't even enjoy the "real" date she got with Ash because she really wanted to do something instead of just being with Ash to do nothing at the end while the Serena from the past (long hair) would had freaking out at that moment... Remember this before saying that just a line could destroy her character because even if she said that (and she still in Japanese) the reason why she was leaving Ash in the first place was because of her goal.
    "Real eyes , realize , real lies"

  17. #4192
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Down the Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    6,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heekful View Post
    A lot of people don't want to talk to you because you look like a guy who wants to bash Serena and carefully hate on Amour but I just want to say :
    EVEN if she said "you are my goal" in the dub , what is the problem ? Can you tell me why did she go to Hoenn in the first place ? To become more attractive ? No, She went to Hoenn to improve in her first main dream : Kalos queen , if she wanted to she could have choose to travel to Kanto with Ash and that was not really hard to do but she choosed her goal instead of Ash who basically showed that he is not her main goal and not a priority at all.
    Remember this before saying that just a line could destroy her character because even if she said that (and she still in Japanese) the reason why she was leaving Ash in the first place was because of her goal.
    Jano isn't trying to bash on Serena. His point is precisely that - Serena's actions indicate she has her own journey of growth ahead, but this line trivializes that by suggesting the entire purpose of it to gain XP to conquer Ash later, when that's not necessarily the case.

  18. #4193
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tropical Resort
    Posts
    3,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Epicocity View Post
    Except the general translation for it is "more charming woman" which has...a very different connotation. "Attractive" only has one, I agree. But "charming" can mean anything, really.
    It can, when its in a contextless vacuum.

    You have a kissing scene with a girl that has spent an entire series pining over a boy, and then uses the word "charming" in describing her goal in being a _____ woman, people will naturally gravitate toward that specific meaning during analysis.

    Honestly, I don't know why people are trying to pick out different meanings for this line, when the takeaway now being condemned is precisely the takeaway people on Twitter, FB, and forums had when the episode aired.

    This kind of condemnation they're having now could only come to be if they've come to the same conclusion other, more "neutral" parties have come to: That the line in context is a sign of a regression in Serena as a character, and now alternate justification has to be sought.
    Last edited by Sonic Boom; 8th January 2017 at 8:13 PM.

    Wii U NNID: SonicBoom93

  19. #4194
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Not a big fan of "You are my goal! Next time I'll be a more attractive woman", even if it has multiple meanings and maybe it sounds better in Japanese than it does in English.

    They should have just played off the "Never Give Up Till the End" catchphrase that was a fixture throughout their interactions. I don't know, maybe something like "You taught me to 'Never give up until the end'. I won't ever give up on meeting you again." Pretty cheesy stuff, but better than what I felt sounded too regressive.
    I honestly didn't mind those lines at the time because I personally looked at it from the point the view that was similar to the dub's recent release of it. The frustrating part of it was how it was being perceived by the many (and continues to) at the time. As a Serena fan, it's honestly frustrating, but people are obviously free to interpret it any way they want.

    They should've just went along the lines of using the word admiration or inspiration instead, fits better. I think they used of those in the Winding Woods episode when they were in the cave and Ash was out in the blizzard.

    Credit to NintendoFan82 for the banner. Serena4ever!

  20. #4195
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    12,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heekful View Post
    A lot of people don't want to talk to you because you look like a guy who wants to bash Serena and carefully hate on Amour but I just want to say.
    Fun fact: I'm one of the few people who defended Serena when people called her a worthless character in early XY.

    The whole reason I am making this argument is because I LIKE Serena, and to me she is more than someone's waifu.

    I don't see how a genuine Serena fan would support such an incredibly sexist line such as 'You're my goal, I wanna become more attractive for you' as if Serena's whole life revolves around this boy and that everything she does is for him. The implications of the line make me sick and send all of Serena's development down the drain-

    How you managed to take away from my post that I'm trying to 'bash' on her is a mystery to me. It's literally the complete opposite.
    Last edited by Janovy; 8th January 2017 at 8:27 PM.


  21. #4196
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Fun fact: I'm one of the few people who defended Serena when people called her a worthless character in early XY.

    The whole reason I am making this argument is because I LIKE Serena, and to me she is more than someone's waifu.

    I don't see how a genuine Serena fan would support such an incredibly sexist line such as 'You're my goal, I wanna become more attractive for you' as if Serena's whole life revolves around this boy and that everything she does is for him. The implications of the line make me sick and send all of Serena's development down the drain-

    How you managed to take away from my post that I'm trying to 'bash' on her is a mystery to me. It's literally the complete opposite.
    I honestly, personally, never took your words that way. As an individual, I disagree with your stance on it "sending all of Serena's development down the drain", but that's splitting hairs. You've been nothing but respectful here despite the disagreements.

    I'll reiterate for myself that I don't see how it does that, especially because you keep using the initial and very early translation of "attractive" when multiple Japanese/English speakers and subbers attest that "charming", which can mean "attractive" but also things like "pleasant" "likeable" "delightful" which don't always have romantic connotations, is the correct translation. It completely upends the argument that Serena is speaking solely about this goal of wanting Ash. She's speaking, in her own way, as both. And she still pursues her personal goal of making people smile and becoming that better person before pursuing Ash. So...yeah.
    Dare to Be Silly!

    Ancienverse AU Fanfiction

    Love in the Time of Teamwork
    Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash to want to take part, but she had no idea the ways in which it would change their lives for good or ill. She was confident, however, that by the end of that week, something between herself and Ash would be different. Amourshipping.

    Remaining stories can be found in this community here.

  22. #4197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Fun fact: I'm one of the few people who defended Serena when people called her a worthless character in early XY.

    The whole reason I am making this argument is because I LIKE Serena, and to me she is more than someone's waifu.

    I don't see how a genuine Serena fan would support such an incredibly sexist line such as 'You're my goal, I wanna become more attractive for you' as if Serena's whole life revolves around this boy and that everything she does is for him. The implications of the line make me sick and send all of Serena's development down the drain-

    How you managed to take away from my post that I'm trying to 'bash' on her is a mystery to me. It's literally the complete opposite.
    I'm pretty sure the Japanese version meant it the same way as the dub, it's just that the literal translations made it seem as though Serena's entire goal revolved around getting with Ash

  23. #4198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax512 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Japanese version meant it the same way as the dub, it's just that the literal translations made it seem as though Serena's entire goal revolved around getting with Ash
    Pretty much this. I think it seems more clearer in the dub over the original with subtitles because of how it was worded and possibly cultural differences. I also prefer the dubs way over the original since the original still does give off the impression of her character development regressing even though it's not
    When will the XYZ anime avatars be available to use?
    Serena as a character>>>>>>>>>>Amourshipping

  24. #4199
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    12,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Epicocity View Post
    I honestly, personally, never took your words that way. As an individual, I disagree with your stance on it "sending all of Serena's development down the drain", but that's splitting hairs. You've been nothing but respectful here despite the disagreements.

    I'll reiterate for myself that I don't see how it does that, especially because you keep using the initial and very early translation of "attractive" when multiple Japanese/English speakers and subbers attest that "charming", which can mean "attractive" but also things like "pleasant" "likeable" "delightful" which don't always have romantic connotations, is the correct translation. It completely upends the argument that Serena is speaking solely about this goal of wanting Ash. She's speaking, in her own way, as both. And she still pursues her personal goal of making people smile and becoming that better person before pursuing Ash. So...yeah.
    First of all, thank you! That means a lot to me!

    Second, I guess it's not the adjective that bothers me as much as the word 'woman'. Like, if she said solely 'You're my goal, Ash!' I wouldn't have a problem because that line is perfectly ambiguous and can be interpreted either way. However, the fact that it is followed by the 'charming/delightful/pleasant woman' line makes it lean towards one specific meaning rather than being fully ambiguous. Like, why 'woman' ? Why not 'better person', for example? Anyway, I can see that you're guys getting annoyed so I'll stop. I just wanted to express my viewpoint.


  25. #4200
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Fun fact: I'm one of the few people who defended Serena when people called her a worthless character in early XY.

    I don't see how a genuine Serena fan would support such an incredibly sexist line such as 'You're my goal, I wanna become more attractive for you' as if Serena's whole life revolves around this boy and that everything she does is for him. The implications of the line make me sick and send all of Serena's development down the drain-
    It's true, Janovy has.

    I don't know if that was directed to toward me, but if it is, I never said I supported it. I said I didn't mind it, which is a big difference. If one supports it, then they wouldn't change it if they had the chance. If one doesn't mind it, then that means if the opportunity presented itself to change it, they'd have the option (I would change it). However, since it's been done and it's too late, you have to live with it. I can obviously understand why they're are sickening, but it's the perception that's the main problem, not the words itself.

    Credit to NintendoFan82 for the banner. Serena4ever!

Page 168 of 171 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •