View Poll Results: Which saga has been your favorite so far?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original Series (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto)

6 10.00%
  • Advanced Generation (Hoenn, Kanto [Battle Frontier])

4 6.67%
  • Diamond & Pearl (Sinnoh)

23 38.33%
  • Black & White / Best Wishes (Unova - Season 1, Season 2 [Episode N + Decolora Adventure])

7 11.67%
  • XY (Kalos - XY, XY&Z)

20 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Saga/Series, V3

Default Favorite Saga/Series, V3

Welcome to the new Favorite Series thread, which now includes XY as an option in the poll.

Feel free to talk about the sagas and seasons that you liked best here. Before you dive in though, please consider the following:

• Nobody should be attacked, mocked or interrogated because of their choices. This thread is purely asking about personal preference, not objective analyses on which saga had the highest quality writing/animation. I'm especially looking at our militant BW haters here. Leave people who love BW in peace.

• Please list at least a couple of reasons why you chose a series as your favorite. Not just "Kanto was best".

• There will probably only be a new thread once Sun&Moon is close to ending or has already ended. If you want to mention SM here because you think it's shaping up to become your favorite series, of course you can do that, but please hide spoilers (any information about episodes that haven't aired outside of Japan yet) inside spoiler tags. Right now (Oct 28, 2016), that means EVERYTHING about SM has to be in spoiler tags.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

Note: Please only reply to infraction PMs if you 1) have follow-up questions, or 2) seriously intend to contest the infraction, instead of merely complaining about or making fun of it, providing no elaborate counterarguments whatsoever. While I appreciate apologies or promises that "it won't happen again" and the like, they too fulfill no purpose except for cluttering up my inbox. An honest effort to avoid further rule-breaking is worth much more than a one-line PM saying you're sorry anyway. Thanks!

I choose DP. I loved Paul as a rival and I liked how active Dawn was.
    Battle Frontier would be a close second for me because of the references and cameos of Pokemon from the past as well as May's rivalry with Drew and Harley and Ash challenging the Battle Frontier.

It was a hard choice between AG and DP for me but I chose DP. The Team Galactic arc was fantastic and the animations were brilliant throughout the whole series. Dawn is my favourite of Ash's travelling companions and I love watching her contest episodes and she had great character development throughout IMO. Paul is still Ash's best rival so far and Ash was a competent trainer which was good to see. 3 of my all time favourite Pokemon characters also debuted in the DP series, while only 1 debuted in AG.

Sinnoh. It did a lot of things right for me, which includes excellent battles all around, fantastic co-star in Dawn, excellent rival in Paul, really good villain arc in TG, a relative medium between seriousness and humor, a good plot all around, and an undisputed best league IMO. Hoenn is a relatively close second.
    ~ Limits are meant to be broken ~

AG or XY.

DP will get enough votes so...

For me, I chose DP for the following reasons:

1) Paul is the best rival for Ash by far if you ask me. I loved the two sides of the same coin aspect they had going on.
    2) As much as I loved Paul as a rival, I loved Dawn as a companion. In many ways, I feel like DP was Dawn's journey as much as Ash's and we watched her grow into a competent co-ordinator with pitfalls along the way. It was also nice to see her relationship with Ash - to me it felt like they were always equal.
    3) Team Galactic. I feel like this was the best written arc across the series. Crop up just enough to let you know they're still there and doing their thing, but not enough to detract from the A plot of the story.
    4) The Pokemon. I feel like a lot of the Pokemon in this saga were fleshed out nicely. It felt like you could identify a lot of the Pokemon in DP just by naming one feature by themselves.
    5) Continuity. May returning was great to see. In addition to that, we also got to see a lot of Ash's Pokemon during what I consider the best league, including Sceptile, Heracross, Noctowl and others.

Obviously DP has it's flaws, but overall, I believe DP has been the best Pokemon saga to date.
    Last edited by Frozocrone; 28th October 2016 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Hopefully I've edited it to not be so 'factual'

dp definitely IMO. ash was both competent and funny, continuity, brock, best chemistry with pokegirl imo, best league, and fleshed out villains and rivals.

Leave me alone guys.....

But seriously, BW is fantastic. Fantastic pokemon, fantastic dynamics, fantastic humor, fantastic characters.

Iris is my all-time favorite character on the show. Great backstory, relateable, had 4 diffrent arcs for each of her pokemon, AND was argubly the strongest female on the show yet. What a gal.

The pokemon were stellar too. The starter were all some of the most enjoyable of the series, Krookodile stole every scene, and quirky picks like Boldore and Stunfisk were fun for the little time they had.

It's not a series that should be measured in winrates or numbers, but go into the series with an open mind, and I doubt you will be disapointed.

For me, it's DP. I'm probably going to sound biased from nostalgia here, but it was the first series of Pokemon I ever watched. As I got older, I started watching more and more of the other series, but DP remained the highest in my rankings. I just loved the characters and their development, the rivals, the contests, the battles, the League Conference, the TG arc, the everything. XY(Z) did get pretty close to knocking DP off my top spot, but it was a little lackluster compared to DP.
    "I should probably be writing that Sun and Moon fanfiction rather than wasting my time on these forums." - SkittleBox, every day of her life.

A+ Tier:
    * Battle Frontier arc (AG)

A Tier:
    * Mega Evolution specials + XY&Z arc (XY)
    * DP
    * Kanto (OS)

A- Tier:
    * Hoenn (AG)
    * Orange Islands (OS)

B+ Tier:
    * Master Quest arc of Johto (OS)

B Tier:
    * XY

C+ tier:
    * BW S1

C tier:
    * BW Episode N
    * Johto Journeys/League Champions (OS)

C- tier:
    * BW S2

D tier:
    * BW DA!
    Last edited by Maldread; 29th October 2016 at 3:02 AM.

DP
    It had some of the best rivals in the series in it, and the ones who weren't in it appeared like Gary or cameo'd like Harley and Drew.
    The female companion got equal screentime. And the times Brock or the TRio got episodes it was great.
    Pretty much every Pokemon had a personality and was enjoyable, which can't be said for later series.
    They handled Ash's seven Pokemon well, all of them getting to battle and none getting shafted in gyms just so one Pokemon can hog the battles.'
    And it had the best villains to date, even Croagunk got in on the Team Galactic stuff it was amazing.
    And some of the best cast Pokemon hail from here like Croagunk, Infernape, Buizel, and Piplup.
    Not to mention, for the first time ever we saw ALL the Elite Four members. Sure, we saw Kanto's but that doesn't really count as Agatha never appeared until BF. They all appeared in DP's series. Dawn even was allowed to battle one, which was great. And it was awesome seeing Paul get utterly destroyed by Cynthia.
    And it had emotional moments like James leaving behind Cacnea and Jessie forcing Dustox to leave in a tough love situation so it could be happy. And Team Rocket actually won once, taking Yanma right from under the Twerps that was one of my favorite parts of the show.
    And it had the best arcs. Summer school, The tournament that Paul released Chimchar in and also introduced us to Conway.
    Jessie also almost won the Grand Festival. That was so amazing after seeing her not even get a chance in AG. She ended up being a great rival. And it was nice showing how much James cared for her he was willing to dress up and win her a ribbon.
    No series will ever top it.

AG takes second place, Battle Frontier! First series where Ash had a fully evolved team.

Sinnoh.
    It balanced everythign about it and gave Ash a very well developed bond with oen of his poemon and arival that actualy made him grow as acharacter and wasn't jsut a non-presencee or fodder to him
    Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Serena gave Ash a kiss, Lillie gave him a child.
    Currently hyped up fo 20th Movie . BRING IT ON!!!!

Sinnoh is still my Favorite. I loved almost everything about it. My only real complaint is Brock not being used more but Paul,The pokemon,the battles,the league,team galactic, and especially Dawn help put dp at the top.

BW or AG or OS for me so i would vote for the most underrated one
    I love that 3 saga because the fantastic dynamic the traveling group has
    Welcome Gen VI

PIKACHU
    the mascot of pokemon franchise

For me... It's a tie between DP and XY. Sorry I just can't pick one over the other.

Advanced Generation
    -Good gym battles
    -Good contests
    -Most balanced version of Ash Ketchum
    -Sceptile & Swellow
    -May's development
    -Drew & Harley
    -Hoenn Grand Festival
    -Hoenn League
    -Kanto Grand Festival
    -Pikachu got the perfect amount of development in the power department
    -Ash rotated his Pokemon during the Battle Frontier
    Last edited by PokemonBattleFanatic-; 2nd November 2016 at 9:08 PM.

Dp is my favourite saga since it had tons of development for Ash and Dawn, plus their rivals were handled well, especially Paul. Even Team Rocket was fantastic in Sinnoh.

Xy for sure

OS was great and it's the only saga that I can re-watch without having to skip too many episodes (except some Johto ones). AG is a close second, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    A+ Tier:
    * Battle Frontier arc (AG)

A Tier:
    * Mega Evolution specials + XY&Z arc (XY)
    * DP
    * Kanto (OS)

A- Tier:
    * Hoenn (AG)
    * Orange Islands (OS)

B+ Tier:
    * Master Quest arc of Johto (OS)

B Tier:
    * XY

C+ tier:
    * BW S1

C tier:
    * BW Episode N
    * Johto Journeys/League Champions (OS)

C- tier:
    * BW S2

D tier:
    * BW DA!
    I mostly agree with this (I knew you disliked BW as well XD). To be fair though Johto Journeys wasn't quite as abhorrent as Johto league champions when it came to filler ratio and their were some interesting plot lines (especially Charizard's) and even some solid filler (Heracross vs Scizor) so I'd personally rate it as a B-. Completely agree with you on the other seasons/sagas.

Quote Originally Posted by Genaller View Post
    I mostly agree with this (I knew you disliked BW as well XD). To be fair though Johto Journeys wasn't quite as abhorrent as Johto league champions when it came to filler ratio and their were some interesting plot lines (especially Charizard's) and even some solid filler (Heracross vs Scizor) so I'd personally rate it as a B-. Completely agree with you on the other seasons/sagas.
    If BW had a fresh slate (new protagonist), some of its key flaws could have been forgiven. Series had a lot of potential, and S1 wasn't too bad, but then it went downhill with the uneven focus and pacing.

Sinnoh.

Best Ash development, best Ash rival, best girl, best Pokemon character arc with Chimchar, best battles, best contests, solid continuity, great story arcs, just all around a good saga and my personal yardstick by which all future sagas are measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Sinnoh.

Best Ash development, best Ash rival, best girl, best Pokemon character arc with Chimchar, best battles, best contests, solid continuity, great story arcs, just all around a good saga and my personal yardstick by which all future sagas are measured.
    I agree with everything except best girl, where May IMO was better.

May got similar personal development to Dawn, but had a better balanced team (most of her team wasn't made up of unimpressive, unevolved cutie mons like Dawn's), way better rivals (Drew and Harley are just in another league compared to Zoey & co, more personality and better teams), and her contest battles were more impressive (in AG, the contests had more focus on the battling part compared to DP where the battles were more about showing off, which wasn't really as interesting as just viewing the mons beating the living daylight out of each other).

Quote Originally Posted by Rampardo View Post
    I agree with everything except best girl, where May IMO was better.

May got similar personal development to Dawn, but had a better balanced team (most of her team wasn't made up of unimpressive, unevolved cutie mons like Dawn's), way better rivals (Drew and Harley are just in another league compared to Zoey & co, more personality and better teams), and her contest battles were more impressive (in AG, the contests had more focus on the battling part compared to DP where the battles were more about showing off, which wasn't really as interesting as just viewing the mons beating the living daylight out of each other).
    Idk. I think a lot of people forget that AG's contests were pretty bland and didn't really have a solid foundation until the tail end of Hoenn and they started to get better refined by BF and by DP we got a lot of emphasis on moves and how they appeal the crowd and the many combinations used. I just kinda found it more engaging then just having strictly battles be the focus and appeals be more of an after thought.

Also May got robbed with her team set up. By the time she got to BF she lost HALF her team for a stupid squirtle and a Eevee with no personality. She only had one fully evolved Pokemon by the end and that was ONLY at the end. Dawn at least had Mamoswine for a decently long time.

That said, Dawn is my nest girl but I still give overall writing quality to May, as her character development was slightly better as we're her rivals

I think personally Generations and Origins are better animes. I’ll keep Ash, Pikachu, T.R. but it needs to tie in more with the games. Origins is a retelling of Pokemon Red through your character’s eyes, and Generations is shedding new light on old moments. That said, the first anime was the best because Ash seemed like Red. Ash’s Kanto adventure was the best of the series. You could have scrapped Ash/Pikachu there. At least SM anime looks good.
    Need a Kartana with a nickname

Mew:Life is like a box of chocolates, if you read the box you know exactly what you’re gonna get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast