Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mythology

i think its the story teller's way of covering up inconsistancies.
    my fizzy bubbles profile NOW ON UPN
    asb
    *highfives all 'round* *wapsh**wapsh*

Hmm yeah but still they make every GOD/GODDESS out to be like Hecate (whod have to be my second favorite goddess)
    Its just funky for me.....
    Nemisis is unusall to me cause shes the goddess of revenge but also balance, its like Punisher ( sorry but thats what I can think of right now as an example )
    Taking revenge on people but keeping balance....

( Banner made by American Pi )
    " Ive got the Fire in my heart and No ones putting it out"
    FB profile Here

A lot of gods/goddesses in myths have split personalities.

Sekhmet, for example is the bloodthirsty alter ego of the peaceful Hathor.

Hmm yea....
    Well of late Ive been studing Chinese culture and cant help but try to analysie all the myths and beasts in the culture.
    However China has more Dragon related myths than any other Culture (that ive read about, im sure there are others like it and such).
    The Pokemon franchise bases alot of pkmn off of these myths and legends though, for example Ninetails, is based off of nine tailed fox spirits.
    Another is that Absol is based off of a creature who had warned a rule of danger.

FB profile Here

I was listening to the Epic of Gilgamesh on audiobooks the other day and was a bit surprised at how ****ing stupid of a story it actually is. It lost me when Gilgamesh's rival demon counterpart, who's specifically made to check Gilgamesh's mighty powers, becomes neutralized by a naked temple whore. Apparently his animal friends didn't think that was cool. A random villager approaches them and talks a bunch smack about Gilgamesh, spurring the demon to go challenge him and he just gets beaten in under a minute confessing how freaking awesome Gilgamesh is. The whole story reads like one giant jerk off.

So much for seeking ancient wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Yaga View Post
    I was listening to the Epic of Gilgamesh on audiobooks the other day and was a bit surprised at how ****ing stupid of a story it actually is. It lost me when Gilgamesh's rival demon counterpart, who's specifically made to check Gilgamesh's mighty powers, becomes neutralized by a naked temple whore. Apparently his animal friends didn't think that was cool. A random villager approaches them and talks a bunch smack about Gilgamesh, spurring the demon to go challenge him and he just gets beaten in under a minute confessing how freaking awesome Gilgamesh is. The whole story reads like one giant jerk off.

Not all of that is true.
    They actually fought for 40 days and nights until they realized the were equal.
    And they had sent the priestess to ERM well you know, but it was to make him a man.
    The actually story was incomplete for the stone tablet was broken, some people added stuff to the original story.

FB profile Here

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Yaga View Post

It's one of the first stories ever made, a lot of the rules for stories weren't written yet. Plus many stores back then were propaganda pieces

I've been thinking; since blood isn't kosher, does that mean Jews can't become vampires? We should be using the Star of David against vampires, not a cross!
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Quote Originally Posted by DracosWulfgar View Post
    I find it weird that nearly every God/Goddess is told with two sides to them, like Janus in greek mythology...

It just doesn't make sense, but hey, everythings different with each person so * shrugs my shoulders *
    Janus is from the ancient Roman religion, a native Italic god for whom there is no equivalent in Greek mythology.

I always find the relationship between Roman and Greek mythology interesting. In some ways they are extremely different and do not align at all and in some ways you can clearly see influences.
    Overall the Romans had gods that were more idealized (less cruel and capricious than the Greek ones) and also simpler (one job for one god, while several Greek gods could be seen as gods of everything and anything by their followers) You can see that with several Greek gods who have multiple names among the Romans: Athena was compared to both Minerva and Bellona, Dionysus to both Liber Pater (Father of Freedom) and the Italic wine god Bacchus etc. etc. The Greek gods were simply way to complex for them to comprehend. It was only much later (particularly after 1 AD) that the Romans adopted and developed more complex religious philosophies.
    Mars and Ares are especially interesting. Mars started out as a god connected to spring time and agriculture but then became a god of war (because in olden times wars often paused during winter and started again in spring) and in the process pushed the original Roman god of war, Quirinus out of the limelight. In any case the Romans loved Mars and he was one of the most important and most respected of the gods, a hero of the empire and defender of the city.

A lot of the surviving Greek text paint Ares as very negative and unloved. he's even worse than Eris because he's not just cruel and violent, but also a coward and rather ineffective (one tale has him being wounded by Athena and he retreats from the battle field squealing like a baby) It was really only the Spartans who loved him.

Not sure what you mean with gods being portrayed as having split personalities?
    The Tsareena Steeneya Bounsweeetnova can't be moved to deal with you right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Not sure what you mean with gods being portrayed as having split personalities?
    I think he means that gods in mythology can be very two-faced. Hecate aside, a lot of gods/goddesses from varying mythologies are like that. Zeus, for example, was the King of the Olympians - a strong ruler who was powerful and iconic, but at the same time he.... err... "couldn't keep it in his trousers" as we Brits often say (ironically enough, the only god from Greek mythology that was faithful to his wife was Hades). Sekhmet was an iconic guardian that was said to protect the Pharaoh - but at the same time she had a lust for blood that was almost like an alcohol addiction. I find it very interesting that most deities, despite being depicted as having immaculate power, are more human than most people realise - it's quite fascinating.
    Latest Shiny: (SRs not Counted) (OR)

Current Hunts: - 2750 SRs (FR/LG) | Route 114 - 6500 REs (R/S) | - 700 SRs (Pt)

Quote Originally Posted by Samayouru View Post
    I think he means that gods in mythology can be very two-faced. Hecate aside, a lot of gods/goddesses from varying mythologies are like that. Zeus, for example, was the King of the Olympians - a strong ruler who was powerful and iconic, but at the same time he.... err... "couldn't keep it in his trousers" as we Brits often say (ironically enough, the only god from Greek mythology that was faithful to his wife was Hades). Sekhmet was an iconic guardian that was said to protect the Pharaoh - but at the same time she had a lust for blood that was almost like an alcohol addiction. I find it very interesting that most deities, despite being depicted as having immaculate power, are more human than most people realise - it's quite fascinating.
    Yes thats what I meant.......forgot to come back and explain ¬.¬ Isn't it though I mean Im pondering the thought that these gods were actually humans with powers....Buuuuuttt Im just gonna kinda keep this with myself.I find it funny that in Norse myths, on the tree of life ( proper name slipped my mind ) there is a squirrel that runs across the tree spreading bad gossip to the Eagles (or what ever birds they are im kinda busy with Chinese myths at the moment) the Stags and the dragon trapped in its roots. ( Sorry for not having all the proper names and such but I will come back and edit it )Im like "So theres a stereo typical squirrel going around trying to cause destruction with the tree of life, huh funny "Maybe all those dogs have had a good reason for chasing those squirrels all along.

FB profile Here

The King Midas story kind of bothered me. Yeah, I get the curse of turning things to gold with his touch, but he could've just worn gloves to get around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    The King Midas story kind of bothered me. Yeah, I get the curse of turning things to gold with his touch, but he could've just worn gloves to get around with it.
    I had thought that the curse would have gone through the gloves.So I had not really been bothered by it.

FB profile Here

The gloves would turn to gold too, right?

what's for breakfast dad
    This user has claimed Cursed Tavros.

Yes thats what I meant.......forgot to come back and explain ¬.¬ Isn't it though I mean Im pondering the thought that these gods were actually humans with powers....Buuuuuttt Im just gonna kinda keep this with myself.
    Yeah Pagan Gods 9especially the Greek ones) were pretty much humans with Power. There is a theory that sacrifice started not as a way to ask the gods for something, but to keep them from doing anything to you and when bad stuff still happened to you then you just hadn't sacrificed enough.

The Romans however had far nicer 9and more bland) gods, that's why they liked the Greek myths so much.

Quote Originally Posted by lilcipher View Post
    The gloves would turn to gold too, right?
    Yeah, but he technically wouldn't touch things while using them

Yeah, but he technically wouldn't touch things while using them
    It's not quite clear whether the ancient Greeks had gloves (remember they didn't have pants or socks either) and if they did whether it might have been simple sacks worn over the hands. Can't really do much with your hands covered in two large, immobile clumps of gold.

Then there's the question whether it was just his hands who turned stuff into gold, or all his skin, because otherwise it would have still be possible for him to have his servants feed him and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    It's not quite clear whether the ancient Greeks had gloves (remember they didn't have pants or socks either) and if they did whether it might have been simple sacks worn over the hands. Can't really do much with your hands covered in two large, immobile clumps of gold.

Then there's the question whether it was just his hands who turned stuff into gold, or all his skin, because otherwise it would have still be possible for him to have his servants feed him and stuff.
    If it was his body, he'd turn the planet into gold simply by standing on the soil. Midas is actually a grey goo story before grey goo was a thing

If it was his body, he'd turn the planet into gold simply by standing on the soil. Midas is actually a grey goo story before grey goo was a thing
    Ok look at it this way, maybe the curse only affected anything that touched his skin and if it was that well then the story would make more sense than if it was everything that touched him, would have turned gold. The Air, Ground etc. etc.

FB profile Here

Ok look at it this way, maybe the curse only affected anything that touched his skin and if it was that well then the story would make more sense than if it was everything that touched him, would have turned gold. The Air, Ground etc. etc.
    Also it couldn't affect his own skin, or he'd die in 15 minutes.

Also it couldn't affect his own skin, or he'd die in 15 minutes.
    Right about that, but I forgot to add that because its common sense to me.

FB profile Here

Right about that, but I forgot to add that because its common sense to me.
    I like to imagine that if Midas didn't commit suicide, he had his own arms severed. He's an old example of "be careful what you wish for"

I like to imagine that if Midas didn't commit suicide, he had his own arms severed. He's an old example of "be careful what you wish for"
    In the original tale he just prayed to Dionysus to take the gift away again and then basically became a bohemian.

Very Very old example indeed.
    And ^ I read that story online while looking for the legends of my Tsimshian heritage.

FB profile Here

Decided to rent "Gods of Egypt" from Redbox to see how true to the myths it ended up (despite the "Whitewashing" of the cast). Obviously they took several liberties, and clearly had to omit some parts of the fight between Set and Horus had to be omitted to keep a PG-13 rating (mostly involving lettuce and something I probably shouldn't mention).

In the movie, Ra is father to Osiris and Set, but in what I have learned of Egyptian mythology, Ra is their grandfather (the earth god being the father).

However, besides the typical Hollywood whitewashing, the biggest flaw of the movie IMHO was how Set killed Osiris. The film had Set stab Osiris with a dagger. However, in the myths, Set locks Osiris in a sarcophagus and seals it shut before throwing it into the Nile. The latter would have been much more interesting on screen.

With Osiris I remember from school him being cut up into 14 pieces, and the last one Isis needed to find is his heart. Crossing mythology with reality, I have to wonder how the pharaohs were able to establish the dynastic inbreeding without the genetics thing causing the empire to tumble down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast