Thread: Community POTW #159

Default Community POTW #159

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and ahead of December's distribution, we're doing another Mythical

It's Meloetta, the Normal/Psychic-type

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/648.shtml

Go nuts

Just wanted to say that on the website, the sidebar still shows Trevenant as POTW.
    Anyway, another Pokémon unusable in VGC, so my experience here is limited, don't take any of what I'm about to say without a grain of salt. Anyway, it's a Normal Psychic Type, meaning it's immune to Ghost type attacks, and gives it only two weaknesses. Not shabby. Unfortunately, as with many Psychic types, one of those is to Dark Types and the ever dangerous Knock Off. It gets two good STAB attacks in Hyper Voice and Psychic/Psyshock, the pivot move U-Turn, and nice coverage attacks like Dazzling Gleam, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Focus Miss, and Energy Ball. However it doe have a signature move, Relic Song, that changes its form to an Attacking Pirouette Form. Unfortunately, this is yet another useless signature move, as it's a normal Fighting type, and if you need a fighting type, that role can go to Gallade or Emboar. Plus, Meloetta really likes having Specs or Calm mind instead. If Meloetta could have the alternate form but not need to have Relic Song, I could see it being useful, with base 128 speed and attack. But unfortunately, the champion of the Normal Fighting type is Mega Lopunny.

Okay it looks like the sidebar has been updated, sorry.
    Last edited by ampfire101; 6th November 2016 at 1:31 PM. Reason: Looks like the sidebar has been updated now.

Alas, poor Meloetta. When we first caught wind of it, it seemed like a pretty cool mythical that would largely be based on sound moves, and maybe dance moves once it went into Pirouette forme. Well, no such luck, Meloetta fell pretty flat. By virtue of its stats and a relatively large movepool it's still quite relevant in RU, but its most basic problem is the awkward situation with its formes. By stats, you'd think Piroutte forme is better, having a great speed tier combined with a strong Attack stat to utilize STABs like Close Combat and Return. But in actuality, the Piroutte forme is useless. Meloetta lacks Scrappy and doesn't get much for coverage against Ghost-types other than Knock Off. Additionally, to get the Pirouette forme you have to use Relic Song, a weak move with a low Sleep chance, and it's a Special attack, meaning it will be dead weight after the forme change. To top it all off, Meloetta reverts to the Aria forme upon switching out. So despite the disadvantages, you definitely want to use the Aria forme competitively.

Meloetta, gentille Meloetta
    Meloetta @ Colbur Berry / Lum Berry
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs/Nature: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe, Timid nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Hyper Voice

This set is a pretty straightforward offensive Calm Mind set. Calm Mind boosts Meloetta's Special Attack to a level that a lot of RU struggles to survive, and from there you have three attacks to choose from. Try setting up on Fighting-types like Virizion, or Poison-types if you go with the Lum Berry. Psychic is mandatory STAB; you probably shouldn't use Psyshock due to its lower power and inability to take advantage of Serene Grace. Focus Blast is necessary coverage; don't leave home without it. The last slot has a few options. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts, meaning you can potentially be a check to several Ghost-types in the tier. Dazzling Gleam is nice for those pesky Dark-types, being more accurate than Focus Miss and hitting Spiritomb, plus it hits Scrafty harder, but it is a bit weak; with Serene Grace, Meloetta would vastly prefer the poorly-distributed Moonblast. Lastly, Hyper Voice is another STAB with some decent power, and will allow you to hit through a Substitute if someone tries to set one up while you use Calm Mind. That said, Hyper Voice has relatively poor coverage so choose wisely. The item on this set is up to you; you'll attract Dark-type moves like mad so Colbur Berry is preferred, but Lum Berry allows you to set up on threats that might try to slap you with status.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

The only thing I know about Meloetta is it used to be hilariously broken in 1v1 until they banned Perish Song. Other than that I've used this thing once (a Calm Mind set consisting of CM / Psychic / Focus Blast / HP Fire) and it failed to impress me, so I quickly replaced it.

I guess it makes a decent Calm Mind user but having a subpar Speed tier, a mediocre defensive typing that lacks many useful resistances, and no reliable recovery means that it's going to be largely outclassed as a Calm Mind user by things that are either faster, bulkier, or have recovery to help them set up.

Its Pirouette form isn't nearly as good as its Aria form but I might as well post a set for it:

Meloetta / Life Orb
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Relic Song
    - Close Combat
    - Return
    - Knock Off

Pretty straight forward set. Use Relic Song to switch to Pirouette form and take it from there. Close Combat and Return are two strong STAB moves that Meloetta doesn't survive without. There are some moves that you can choose from in the last spot. Ice Punch is a good pick but most of the time, you'll want Knock Off.

This is a fun pokemon, I'm surprised to read the cold opinions on it. The good thing about it is, surprisngly many people think it's a pure psychic tiye. I can't tell you how many times I won a battle simply because my opponent wanted to kill this thing with a shadow ball, only for it to not work at all. It just gives you a free turn.

This is the set I use:
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Life Orb
    Psychic
    Hyper Voice (for stab)
    Focus Blast (for coverage)
    Role Play (this actually does come in handy sometimes, and no one expects it)
    FC: 3711-9176-7509
    IGN: Creyk

Quote Originally Posted by Creyk View Post
    This is the set I use:
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Life Orb
    Psychic
    Hyper Voice (for stab)
    Focus Blast (for coverage)
    Role Play (this actually does come in handy sometimes, and no one expects it)
    Question: why Modest? It does help with extra damage, but you've already got a Life Orb on it, plus neutral-natured base 90 is outpaced by positive-natured base 80, so now you can be outpaced and potentially OHKO'd by things like Medicham, Sawk, Gallade, Braviary, and Mega Glalie before its Mega Evolution speed kicks in. Otherwise it's a perfectly good set for RU as far as I'm concerned.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.