Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by AlolaSherwood View Post
    I might go with one of those, most likely Cinccino. Absol seems more ruff and ready than fluffy to me. Do you think Purugly counts as fluffy?
    I think so! I considered Purugly for a second when I saw it (was scrolling through Serebii's Pokedex drop-down menus). I just preferred the others I mentioned but it's up to you!
    Zeki | 1306-6720-7342 | Friend Safari: Dwaaagooons (Fraxure, Shelgon, Sliggoo)

My Apricorn/HA Pokemon for Trade - Now giving away FREE 5IV Pokemon of over 20 species! Check the "Free Competitive 5IVs" tab at the bottom to see what I have to offer!

is there any sort of EV spread i should run on a calm nature suicune? i got a 2IV gen2 Suicune from GTS recently with hidden flying value. it has perfect ATK/DEF and the rest are bad or (0 HP) i want to run scald, ice beam, hidden power flying and maybe calm mind. it may not be the most competetive or wall set but i like the weird sets. im having some trouble deciding EV allocation either HP/SPA or SPA/speed, im also considering tailwind on Suicune. im looking for a bulky SPA attacker or fast atacker. im not the biggest fan of crocune, that play style is a bit too slow for me. i will need to use bottle caps to correct the bad IVs from gen2 but its worth the time to lvl it up.

Edit: i decided to go more for a bulky tailwind set.
    Last edited by nel3; 24th February 2017 at 8:50 AM.

3ds fc: 3926 6866-2593 ign (XY) Nelliel, fighting: Sawk Machoke Tyrogue. polar pattern Vivillion, ign sun: Nelliel
    2ds FC is 4485-2497-2628 with bermite, delibird, cloyster

latest shiny ;656;
    GMT-5hrs

New to the forums here and competitive battling in general, I do have two questions.

1: In a double battle, can you use a single-target status move, like baby-doll eyes, on your other pokemon?

2: If yes, how competitively viable would this be if the other pokemon had Competitive as its ability?

If "yes" and "decently" or better, I think I have a new strategy with which to crush my one opponent (my hyper-competitive brother).

Quote Originally Posted by mathwiz617 View Post
    New to the forums here and competitive battling in general, I do have two questions.

1: In a double battle, can you use a single-target status move, like baby-doll eyes, on your other pokemon?

2: If yes, how competitively viable would this be if the other pokemon had Competitive as its ability?

If "yes" and "decently" or better, I think I have a new strategy with which to crush my one opponent (my hyper-competitive brother).
    Competitive or Defiant will not activate if a stat is lowered by a move from your own Pokemon, so unfortunately it won't work
    FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!

Quote Originally Posted by EKZ1505 View Post
    Competitive or Defiant will not activate if a stat is lowered by a move from your own Pokemon, so unfortunately it won't work
    Darn. Well, it was worth a try. Thank you.

If you use Psych Up on a Pokemon that has raised its stats via its own Psych Up, will it copy the changes? and will it work if both Psych Up users are your own Pokemon?

My Apricorn/HA Pokemon for Trade - Now giving away FREE 5IV Pokemon of over 20 species! Check the "Free Competitive 5IVs" tab at the bottom to see what I have to offer!

Quote Originally Posted by Scherzando View Post
    If you use Psych Up on a Pokemon that has raised its stats via its own Psych Up, will it copy the changes? and will it work if both Psych Up users are your own Pokemon?
    Yes to everything
    FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!

I'm inexperienced with competitive team building so I need some advice. I'm trying to come up with a good doubles team involving Torterra, but I can't come up with anything good. What would be some good guys for a team like that?

I want to breed a cofagrigus with ally switch. However I'm having a hard time finding the rest of the breeding chain. I know I'll have to breed the ralts line with cofagrigus to get it, but to get it there I'd have to breed kadabra to mienfoo in order so it can have access to the field egg group. That's where I can't find the rest of the chain. I checked over with the other pokemon who learned it through breeding with their egg groups, and they seem to be dead ends. Thank you in advance for your help.

P.s. sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

As for Tortterra a Trick room team would seem useful for it, try alakazam or even better oranguru or comfey. Theres also beheeyem as well (i hope this helps somewhat)

Default SM Mega Blastoise

Good evening all,

I'm looking for a good Mega Blastoise build. Going down the list of available mega stones and breeding for perfect IV/EV spreads but don't see any suggestions for a gen 7 Blastoise on smogon. Any suggestions? Moves, EV spread, nature etcetera. Also do not have the HA version unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazykingkong View Post
    I want to breed a cofagrigus with ally switch. However I'm having a hard time finding the rest of the breeding chain. I know I'll have to breed the ralts line with cofagrigus to get it, but to get it there I'd have to breed kadabra to mienfoo in order so it can have access to the field egg group. That's where I can't find the rest of the chain. I checked over with the other pokemon who learned it through breeding with their egg groups, and they seem to be dead ends. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Ally Switch is a Gen 5 TM. You can easily get an Ally Switch Cofag with that, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeChamp777 View Post
    Good evening all,

I'm looking for a good Mega Blastoise build. Going down the list of available mega stones and breeding for perfect IV/EV spreads but don't see any suggestions for a gen 7 Blastoise on smogon. Any suggestions? Moves, EV spread, nature etcetera. Also do not have the HA version unfortunately.
    The sets are pretty interchangeable as most of the spreads for M-Blast are just for speed creep, power, and general bulk. Timid max max gives it a speed edge over Heatran if you want that but a slower spread of 124 Spe with a neutral nature can be used to outpace 16 spe Lando-T so it doesn't just whittle you with U-Turns. Also good to outpace Rotom-W before it Volts out to hit it with an Aura/Dark. Though the 74 Spe is prolly the safest.

tl;dr; the 74 Spe / Max Spa / Rest in bulk spread is still safe. If you wanna speed creep on something though, play around with the speed then, it's very flexible due to Blasts neat speed tier! Hope I helped.
    Last edited by MetalSonic; 29th March 2017 at 9:08 PM.

^ Credits to Conquer Phoenix

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

Speaking of Megas, I want to run a Bulky set on Mega Zard X because of its great defensive typing. I transferred in a Charmeleon from Yellow that has max to near-max IVs in everything except speed. I'm basing my Pokemon on the 6th gen PotW Firewall set but it gives a slight boost to Speed EVs (about 32). I'm not sure if I want to use the rest of my EVs on Special Defense instead just in case. Is there a particular reason for me to give it the small speed boost (like getting a burn in faster with Will-O-Wisp) or is it negotiable if it's not that fast anyway?
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

3DS Friend Code - 4613 7899 0504 In-Game Name for Moon: Raphael

Quote Originally Posted by Italianbaptist View Post
    Speaking of Megas, I want to run a Bulky set on Mega Zard X because of its great defensive typing. I transferred in a Charmeleon from Yellow that has max to near-max IVs in everything except speed. I'm basing my Pokemon on the 6th gen PotW Firewall set but it gives a slight boost to Speed EVs (about 32). I'm not sure if I want to use the rest of my EVs on Special Defense instead just in case. Is there a particular reason for me to give it the small speed boost (like getting a burn in faster with Will-O-Wisp) or is it negotiable if it's not that fast anyway?
    If you're running dragon dance than you need the evs in speed to outpace at plus one but if your going for a straight utility/tank not a bulky sweeper you can play with it

Is it possible to soft reset for nature/IVs when receiving pokemon from Dream Radar (in 5th gen)?

I'd like to be able to get the HA legendaries from it with good natures.

Please note, I am not playing Pokemon as dedicated as before. My heart also belongs to Waifu Wars and Pit the 4th Wall Angel.
    Friend Code: 3926-5853-1176
    In-Game name (AS, Sun): Ishii
    Time Zone: Pacific District Time (PDT, GMT -7)

Spoiler:- Breeding Projects. "Show Spoiler" to see what I have planned for the future:

Quote Originally Posted by Xatuish View Post
    Is it possible to soft reset for nature/IVs when receiving pokemon from Dream Radar (in 5th gen)?

I'd like to be able to get the HA legendaries from it with good natures.
    I don't think you can soft reset for those, though I do believe RNG manipulation is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

Best HP EV number for Poison Heal Gliscor? Smogon and Serebii have been switching back and forth between 252 and 244. Somewhere, I think on Smogon's spotlight article, it said just to max out its HP since it'll heal the same amount as if you did 244.
    *edit: maybe I should clarify. it said to do 252 in their 6th gen article, while in their 7th it says do 244. which is best, or does it give the same results in terms of Poison Heal recovery amount?
    Last edited by Scherzando; 4th April 2017 at 1:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scherzando View Post
    Best HP EV number for Poison Heal Gliscor? Smogon and Serebii have been switching back and forth between 252 and 244. Somewhere, I think on Smogon's spotlight article, it said just to max out its HP since it'll heal the same amount as if you did 244.
    *edit: maybe I should clarify. it said to do 252 in their 6th gen article, while in their 7th it says do 244. which is best, or does it give the same results in terms of Poison Heal recovery amount?
    Lets get mathy.

Poison Heal will recover 1/8th of Gliscor's HP at the end of each turn.

Gliscor 1: 244 HP EVs (352 hp at level 100) (181 HP at level 50)
    Gliscor 2: 252 HP EVs (354 HP at level 100) (182 HP at level 50)

0.125h is what Gliscor recovers, with H being Gliscor's HP and 0.125 being 1/8 in decimal form. It doesn't matter I tell you any of this, I just wanted the numbers written down so I look smart :P

Gliscor 1: 44 recovered at level 100, 22.625 at level 50
    Gliscor 2: 44.25 recovered at level 100, 22.75 at level 50

It completely depends on if the amount recovered rounds up or down, which I'm fairly certain it rounds down, so yeah both Gliscor recover the same amount of HP.
    My judgement, it depends on if you want to just full invest in HP or dedicate those extra points to the other defensive stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    I don't think you can soft reset for those, though I do believe RNG manipulation is possible.
    Ah man, I don't even know what that means or how to utilize it.
    Last edited by Xatuish; 4th April 2017 at 8:03 AM.

Please note, I am not playing Pokemon as dedicated as before. My heart also belongs to Waifu Wars and Pit the 4th Wall Angel.

Spoiler:- Breeding Projects. "Show Spoiler" to see what I have planned for the future:

Quote Originally Posted by Xatuish View Post
    It completely depends on if the amount recovered rounds up or down, which I'm fairly certain it rounds down, so yeah both Gliscor recover the same amount of HP.
    My judgement, it depends on if you want to just full invest in HP or dedicate those extra points to the other defensive stat.
    Cool, thanks a bunch for the response and info! I'd already EV trained its HP all the way before I read Smogon's new guide, so I had might as well leave it that way.

Edit: my second question was answered, thanks!

Edit again: OKAY NOW THIRD QUESTION. I want to use Venipede in Little Cup as an attacker instead of a hazard setter, kinda along the lines of Carvanha. It's weaker but bulkier; does that help it stand out at all? Could I also run Adamant or will it not affect its attack enough at level 5? I might try to make it bulkier instead, but I'm not familiar enough with LC to figure out the EVs and nature on my own.
    Last edited by Scherzando; 11th April 2017 at 12:57 AM.

I have a question. I'm new to advanced breeding, and I've never done anything this complicated, so I wanted to check before I started if my steps would theoretically be correct.
    I have a 6IV Ditto, a male Beast Ball xx/xx/31/31/31/31 Bold Vikavolt, and a male Sewaddle with a speed IV of 0. My goal is a Beast Ball Quiet Grubbin with 31/xx/31/31/31/0.
    What I think I have to do is breed my vikavolt with ditto until I get a female grubbin with beast ball (getting the correct nature along the way), then breed the quiet female grubbin with the male sewaddle. Grubbin would hold everstone and sewaddle would hold destiny knot (or power anklet?). Hopefully this would eventually get the quiet beast ball grubbin with 0 speed IV and then breed it with the ditto for the rest of the IVs?

Credit to Sworn Metalhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt Geekazaru View Post
    I have a question. I'm new to advanced breeding, and I've never done anything this complicated, so I wanted to check before I started if my steps would theoretically be correct.
    I have a 6IV Ditto, a male Beast Ball xx/xx/31/31/31/31 Bold Vikavolt, and a male Sewaddle with a speed IV of 0. My goal is a Beast Ball Quiet Grubbin with 31/xx/31/31/31/0.
    What I think I have to do is breed my vikavolt with ditto until I get a female grubbin with beast ball (getting the correct nature along the way), then breed the quiet female grubbin with the male sewaddle. Grubbin would hold everstone and sewaddle would hold destiny knot (or power anklet?). Hopefully this would eventually get the quiet beast ball grubbin with 0 speed IV and then breed it with the ditto for the rest of the IVs?
    Yep, that's correct. Once you get the quiet female Grubbin, you could have her hold the everstone and Sewaddle hold the power anklet to guarantee the 0 speed and then you'd only have to collect one egg. whatever hatches is breedable with the Ditto. I'm a breeding maniac so let me know if you ever have any more questions!

Best nature for Alolan Persian?
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079
    Pokémon Omega Ruby Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079
    Pokemon Sun Friend Code:0275-7830-7079

I was a fan of Litten's Final Evolution before it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowF View Post
    Best nature for Alolan Persian?
    If you want more power, Modest. If you wanna outspeed things, Timid.

I'd personally pick Timid, though an RU moveset on Smogon tells you to pick Jolly? I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not, since the set doesn't use any physical attacks that rely on Persian-A's attack stat...

Moveset advice for Snorlax and Mimikyu please? Also partner advice for them.
    Last edited by Papyrus; 22nd April 2017 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papyrus View Post
    Moveset advice for Snorlax and Mimikyu please? Also partner advice for them.
    Probably Zapdos or somethin

^ Credits to Conquer Phoenix

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456