Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team Building Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EKZ1505 View Post
    You could really use a Trick Room counter, as right now you have no way to stop it (especially if they have Fake Out support or something as bulky as Porygon2, which can live any set of attacks from your rain mode). Some common suggestions are Gigalith, Gluttony Snorlax, Mudsdale (though you already have a ground type), and your own Porygon2 to reverse Trick Room (triple "ducks" has been a successful core).

Quick side note about your team...Scizor can't use either Swords Dance (good move) or Roost (generally not a good move in doubles) if it holds the Assault Vest.
    Oh yeah forgot about that I guess I'll run brutal swing and maybe faint on scizor, I think I'll add a Porygon 2 with eviolite to my team, thanks for your suggestions.or I was thinking adding pheromosa to OHKO porygon2.
    Last edited by Verozzan; 15th June 2017 at 6:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verozzan View Post
    Oh yeah forgot about that I guess I'll run brutal swing and maybe faint on scizor, I think I'll add a Porygon 2 with eviolite to my team, thanks for your suggestions.or I was thinking adding pheromosa to OHKO porygon2.
    Scizor, like every Pokemon in VGC/doubles, should have Protect unless it is Choiced, holding AV, or fully a support Pokemon (as should your Koko. U-turn is not good in doubles either for Koko). Give it that over Brutal Swing, which hits Scizor's teammate too. Are you keeping Swords Dance then or X-Scissor? Who would Pheromosa replace?
    Trust The Process

FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC18 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...6#post18496316) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

Quote Originally Posted by EKZ1505 View Post
    Scizor, like every Pokemon in VGC/doubles, should have Protect unless it is Choiced, holding AV, or fully a support Pokemon (as should your Koko. U-turn is not good in doubles either for Koko). Give it that over Brutal Swing, which hits Scizor's teammate too. Are you keeping Swords Dance then or X-Scissor? Who would Pheromosa replace?
    So:
    Scizor
    -protect
    -swords dance
    -u turn/x-scissor
    -bullet punch

Idk what item to give him since I have life orb on tapu Koko or should I give electric seed to Koko?

Tapu Koko
    -hp ice
    - thunder/thuderbolt
    - Voltswitch
    -protect

I was thinking on using pheromosa instead of Porygon 2 to deal with opposing porygon2

I honestly have not seen much Scizor this year (which makes me really sad since he was a star on some of my teams in VGC 15 and 16), so there's probably room to experiment with the item. Tapu Lele's terrain has really hurt it, and Arcanine is just soooooo common. The most common items according to usage stats are Life Orb, Misty Seed (paired with Fini to get rid of Psychic Terrain too), CB, AV, and then steel-boosting items and Z crystals. I would keep Life Orb on Koko though, it's so good. I would also go Dazzling Gleam since you already have an ice move on Golduck (and the vast majority of Porygon2 have it as well since it's such a good attack), and you could use a spread move.

I like X-Scissor a lot more than U-turn though. If Scizor was really fast like Pheromosa and it could be used for momentum, I think it would be more worth it.

And Pheromosa would be ok, but then you really need to play carefully because you're even more susceptible to Trick Room. Like if it goes up, you may basically automatically lose. Mimikyu, Oranguru with support, etc. will still give you a lot of trouble.

Edit: More Scizor item ideas...I used to run Lum Berry, though I'm not sure how useful it is with fewer Pokemon running status moves due to electric and misty terrain...but a 50% berry could be a good choice, especially if your Scizor is built bulkier to set up SDs
    Last edited by EKZ1505; 15th June 2017 at 8:58 PM.
    Trust The Process

FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC18 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...6#post18496316) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

Thanks you for your input, I'll try to use some of the mons you suggested, but first I'll try Scizor for a bit if anything I'll replace him after a while.
    I've never really been in the competitive scene of Pokemon, but so far it's fun.
    If anything you'll be seen my post at some point lol.

I've been thinking about my other team consisting of Steel and Fighting types. I'm now in a bit of a dilemma on what other pokemon I choose to put into my other team. Also I'm still deciding whether I would choose to base my team on two Pokémon types or be diverse.

The pokemon i'm keeping with because they are my favorite is:

(2nd Pokémon)
    Porygon-Z @ Quick Claw
    Ability: Adaptability
    EVs: No Change
    Nature: Quirky
    - Shadow Ball
    - Agility
    - Tri Attack
    - Conversion

(3rd Pokémon)
    Aegislash @ Iron Ball
    Ability: Stance Change
    Nature: Bashful
    - King's Shield
    - Gyro Ball
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sacred Sword

(4th or 5th Pokémon)
    Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: Increased Speed, Decreased Sp. Def
    Nature: Naive
    - Night Slash
    - Sucker Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Head

(Last Pokémon)
    Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
    Ability: Adaptability (Mega), Steadfast/Inner Focus
    EVs: Increased Attack
    Nature: Naughty
    - Aura Sphere
    - Copycat
    - Nasty Plot
    - Vacuum Wave

Is there any other two Pokémon or Pokémon type suggestions that might help those Pokémon? Thanks.

Rocxidi is offline ס₪₪₪§€ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ7

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDavies1 View Post
    I've been thinking about my other team consisting of Steel and Fighting types. I'm now in a bit of a dilemma on what other pokemon I choose to put into my other team. Also I'm still deciding whether I would choose to base my team on two Pokémon types or be diverse.

The pokemon i'm keeping with because they are my favorite is:

(2nd Pokémon)
    Porygon-Z @ Quick Claw
    Nature: Quirky
    - Shadow Ball
    - Agility
    - Tri Attack
    - Conversion

(3rd Pokémon)
    Aegislash @ Iron Ball
    Nature: Bashful
    - King's Shield
    - Gyro Ball
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sacred Sword

(4th or 5th Pokémon)
    Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
    EVs: Increased Speed, Decreased Sp. Def
    Nature: Naive
    - Night Slash
    - Sucker Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Head

(Last Pokémon)
    Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
    Ability: Adaptability (Mega), Steadfast/Inner Focus
    EVs: Increased Attack
    Nature: Naughty
    - Aura Sphere
    - Copycat
    - Nasty Plot
    - Vacuum Wave

Is there any other two Pokémon or Pokémon type suggestions that might help those Pokémon? Thanks.
    What format are you playing? Aegislash and Mega Lucario are banned from OU.

The Eye of Darkness is all-seeing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocxidi View Post
    What format are you playing? Aegislash and Mega Lucario are banned from OU.
    I'm not sure what you mean by format.

I'm not sure what you mean by format.
    Smogon formats include OU, Ubers, etc, while ingame formats include whatever Battlespot setting you're playing. Without knowing what format you're playing in, no one can really help you. All I can tell you right now is to breed for good natures because the natures you have don't help. Also replace Quick Claw with Normalium Z on Porygon Z to use Z Conversion, and replace Agility with something else like Recover, Nasty Plot, or a coverage move.

Smogon formats include OU, Ubers, etc, while ingame formats include whatever Battlespot setting you're playing. Without knowing what format you're playing in, no one can really help you. All I can tell you right now is to breed for good natures because the natures you have don't help. Also replace Quick Claw with Normalium Z on Porygon Z to use Z Conversion, and replace Agility with something else like Recover, Nasty Plot, or a coverage move.
    I'm leaning in between OU and Uber.

I'm leaning in between OU and Uber.
    stick to one. Aegislash and Mega Lucario are both ubers.

stick to one. Aegislash and Mega Lucario are both ubers.
    I'll choose Uber.

Here's my future uber team.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Cursed Body
    Nature: Timid
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Ice Beam
    - Destiny Bond

Porygon-Z @ Normalium-Z
    - Thunderbolt
    - Discharge
    - Recover
    - Conversion

Aegislash @ Iron Ball
    Nature: Relaxed
    - King's Shield
    - Gyro Ball
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Sneak

Gyarados @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Moxie
    Nature: Jolly
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Bounce
    - Waterfall

Bisharp @ BlackGlasses
    Nature: Adamant
    - Night Slash
    - Sucker Punch
    - Iron Head
    - Swords Dance

Lucario @ Lucarionite
    Ability: Justified, Adaptability (Mega)
    - Aura Sphere
    - Nasty Plot
    - Vacuum Wave
    - Flash Cannon

Critique is much appreaciated.

Oh, so you know, I looked up on the uber pokemon article on smogon and it says that if you have any uber pokemon in your team, its automatically an uber team.
    Last edited by EdwardDavies1; 23rd August 2017 at 6:34 AM.

So I am really new to competitive pokemon. I have been playing since Gen 1 came out but it has always just been in-game and while building my teams I generally try and stress a perfect balance and obsess over my teams, but I've come to realize this is pointless during in-game playing and is only for my own entertainment. That being said I have come up with a number of interesting teams but never competed, that's going to change! So I am very new to the whole OU and UU tier thing, I understand it but I am not familiar with using it. Same with EVs, I completely understand them but I have never gone out of my way to make sure they are utilized since it has always only been about the in-game challenge.
    I had an interesting idea while replaying the game this time for a Battle Tree team but I think it could be expanded into a full team. It centers on electric terrain and I realize it is full of holes but I have become obsessed with the idea of a terrain team! I also mess with a grassy terrain idea but scrapped that in favor of this one.
    This team is designed to be played in double battles at all times, here is what I've got so far;

Tapu Koko
    Item: Terrain Extender
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: All Speed and Sp Atk. (Question: How do you raise EV on legendary since you can't get it at lvl 1, does EV training start from the catch?)
    Nature: Modest
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder (I realize two electric moves, just wait a second there's a reason!)
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Grass Knot/Roost/Protect/Nature's Madness/Not too sure here

Pelipper
    Item: Damp Rock
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: All Defenses
    - Stockpile
    - Roost
    - Hurricane
    - Scald/Wide Guard/U-turn

Not as sure on Pelipper's moves, I want it for Rain + Thunder in my team, I figure if that's the reason then I need to use Hurricane as well. I could come out with it and if there are no targets for Hurricane or ground poke to Scald then U-turn to another poke. Or come out and Stockpile to tank status, but then maybe Toxic or something would work on it. Just not sure about moves here.

Alolan Riachu
    Item: Not sure but I don't want thunderbolt for Z-move so no need for the Z gem
    Ability: Surge Surfer
    EVs: All Sp Atk and split both Defenses?
    - Psychic
    - Thunder/Electroball
    - Focus Blast/Grass Knot
    - Maybe Psyshock for a physical move

So these three pokemon and potentially Alolan Marowak so that you could set up terrain and rain, then have Tapu swap to Marowak to absorb any potential electric threats toward Pelipper, but then I have the terrain out with no Electric moves to use except Thunder on Marowak which would be awful with its atrocious Sp Atk. I figure a Lightingrod pokemon would work well, or of course anyone who will benefit from the rain such as Goodra with hydration, Shiinotic with Rain Dish, or anyone with one of these rain abilities. Also if I can find more poke that can learn Thunder but resist ground so that I can volt switch into them and wreak havoc. I think the team has some promise, I realize it is set up around a gimmick of Rain and Electric Terrain which can be removed but I would still like some feedback on how to make this terrain/weather team! Also any feedback to help my transition to competition would be really appreciated!
    There is also the grassy terrain/sunlight idea but I want to try this out first. Haha.

Hey dude, this is actually a nice looking start,and its something ive used in the Battle Tree with huge success, so let me help you out.

Tapu Koko doesn't need Terrain Extender as you will find yourself ending battles very fast, sometimes with turns of Electric Terrain to spare. Instead, use a boosting item such as Life Orb or Choice Specs. As for the 4th move, you have two options: Protect, though not entirely as useful in Battle Tree as it is in PVP Doubles formats, can come in handy if you feel Tapu Koko is in a dangerous position. However, Hidden Power can also be extremely useful. If you can manage to soft-reset for a Hidden Power Ice Tapu Koko, this move will give you amazing coverage along with Thunder. It's also what you would wanna run if you're using Choice Specs. You also have other options like Grass Knot, which you mentioned, or Calm Mind, to increase your Special Attack even further. As for nature, Timid is the most useful to take advantage of Tapu Koko's speed, but Modest can still put it at a desirable speed tier and will hit even harder. About the EVs: any Pokemon can be EV trained, I recommend looking up SOS chaining as this method is quick and easy. I believe what you actually meant were IVs. These are separate values from EVs, and are mandatory for some stats such as Speed and Special Attack to make sure your Pokemon is as fast and strong as possible. Though it is true that IVs are inherited by breeding, you must also note that as of Gen 6, all legendary Pokemon you catch come with at least 3 IVs maxed out at 31. By utilizing a method known as Soft Resetting, you can catch a Legendary Pokemon with Nature and IVs where you want them, and even a desirable Hidden Power. If you want more info I'll gladly answer any questions you have in the Ask A Question thread.

As for Pelipper, same thing goes with the Damp Rock: you don't need that many turns of rain in a Double Battle. Also note that you might encounter other weather setters during your climb, so you will have to switch out and back in to reset weather. In the case that you actually run out of weather midmatch, this method also works. That being said, there are two things that you can do with Pelipper: an offensive rain abuser or a defensive support Pokemon. As an offensive Rain abuser, its job is to hit as hard as possible with Hurricane and either Scald or Hydro Pump. For this you can use a Z Crystal to boost the power and accuracy (just once) of Hydro Pump, or another boosting item such as Life Orb or Choice Specs to boost the power of all your moves. (be advised that i will be mentioning several items more than once despite the item clause. Make sure you mix and match them properly as you have a lot of flexibility and options with this team.) As a support Pokemon, Pelipper has a good Physical Defense coupled with nice moves such as Tailwind and Wide Guard. Tailwind is useful to boost Pelippers own Speed to allow it to catch up to other threats, while Wide Guard will protect you from Earthquakes and Rock Slides. Healing items like Leftovers or Berries can help here, and a Focus Sash will guarantee that you set up Tailwind unless you get taunted. You can also mix and match both roles to create something like Tailwind plus Hydro Pump with Focus Sash and max speed and special attack, or slap Wide Guard on an offensive set and predict wide moves. I personally prefer more offensive sets to end games faster. Timid or Modest with max EVs in Speed and Attack is preferable.

As for Raichu, I wanna start by saying that with 28 speed evs you can outspeed Choice Scarf Latios and anything slower while in Electric Terrain. Not sure if there are faster scarfers than Garchomp in the Battle Tree, but better safe than sorry. And again,as an offensive Pokemon you have your choice of offemsive items. However, Raichu is very frail, so a Focus Sash is actually really useful to stay on the field longer. As for moves, Thunder and Psychic are basically mandatory. That leaves you with a couple other options like Hidden Power Ice once again, or even Fake Out to disrupt an opposing Pokemon. Here the Modest nature is fine, especially if you choose to run Tailwind on Pelipper, as it allows you not rely on Electric Terrain for speed. Max Special attack with 28 speed as i mentioned (though it might not even be required so feel free to run 0) with everything else set on HP to take hits better.

As for your next pokemon, do NOT run Alolan Marowak, as lightning rod will will absorb your own Thunders. Instead, use something that can abuse Rain, something with Swift Swim. My personal recommendation is Mega Swampert, since you have no physical attackers, and it has great defensive synergy with Pelipper.

Edit: heres a sample of what you can build

Pelipper @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Drizzle
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - U-Turn
    - Wide Guard
    - Hurricane
    - Hydro Pump

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Protect
    - Thunder
    - Volt Switch
    - Dazzling Gleam

Raichu-Alola @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Surge Surfer
    EVs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Psychic
    - Thunder

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
    Ability: Damp
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Work Up
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall
    Last edited by Rocxidi; 4th September 2017 at 1:49 AM.

Thanks Rocxidi! I didn't know that point about Lightning rod thank you for that heads up. I will have to look into soft resetting and read up more about IV and EV training. And thanks for heads up on the items too! I will be sure to post the full team once i have it built but it may be a while, I'm still on the island challenges haha.
    Last edited by Vandy74; 4th September 2017 at 1:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy74 View Post
    Thanks Rocxidi! I didn't know that point about Lightning rod thank you for that heads up. I will have to look into soft resetting and read up more about IV and EV training. And thanks for heads up on the items too! I will be sure to post the full team once i have it built but it may be a while, I'm still on the island challenges haha.
    That's great actually, since you still have a chance to catch all your Tapus. Tapu Koko will appear again if you choose not to catch it the first time, case you're not ready to soft reset when you find him. Just a heads up!

Any outside the box support ideas for a Perish Trapper Mega Gengar?
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 2939-0726-3910| IGN: Odie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12