Thread: Community POTW #161

Default Community POTW #161

Time for the final Generation VI Pokémon of the Week

This week, we're continuing the Sun & Moon celebration with...

Lunatone

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/337.shtml

Go nuts

In the solrock article it says Solrock is the original Sun Pokemon. Actually, on Pokedex number that's Sunflora though Espeon is also the "sun" pokemon, and solrock is the meteorite pokemon, but I see what you did there.

Gen III was the worst Generation EVER. Hoenn was Horrid. We don't need to go back.

Well, what is there to say other than that Lunatone is a specially-oriented version of Solrock. Except, that's not quite true either; Lunatone gets even less useful STABs, and it doesn't have Will-o-Wisp to threaten switches or give it opportunities to heal and set up. Basically, that leaves us with one option: the Rock Polish set.

Blue Moon
    Lunatone @ Life Orb
    EVs/Nature: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, Modest
    Ability: Levitate
    - Rock Polish
    - Psychic
    - Ancient Power / Moonblast
    - Earth Power

This is pretty much all you'll ever see on a Lunatone, saving for a defensive set that Solrock pulls off a touch better. And mind you, Lunatone is a bad choice even in NU, and honestly I tried it once in PU and it was disappointing, despite its good synergy with the rest of my team. It's a standard Rock Polish set, so the idea is to boost (Lunatone handles specially-oriented Fire-types well enough for that) and then make a dent. Psychic is your go-to STAB and your most powerful move altogether. Ancient Power is the best you've got for a Rock STAB, and it can boost your stats, but it's weak and can be PP stalled. Moonblast is decent as an alternative, hitting the Dark-types you'll definitely attract and being a nasty surprise for Zweilous, which Lunatone outspeeds before Rock Polish, and which is otherwise a great Lunatone check. The last slot goes to Earth Power, which has decent power and excellent coverage alongside Ancient Power or Moonblast. Just watch out for Dark-types, Steel-types, special walls, physical attackers, and several common priority moves, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

And with that, I leave my last contribution to Gen VI competitive. You will be missed. I may come back to visit once in a while but tbh birdspam was kinda annoying so we'll see.
    Last edited by generic villager #5; 23rd November 2016 at 3:54 AM.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

Poor lunatone, he's got the same problems as solrock, only now having to fear physical attacks rather than special. It does however get acces to dual screen, and hypnosis, so yeah, there's that. Here's a set exploiting that:
    Lunatone@light clay
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: bold
    Ev's: 252 def, 252 sp.Def, 4hp
    -hypnosis
    -light screen
    -reflect
    -dream eater/pain split

This set focuses on setting up screens, with the oppenent asleep. I will cause a lot of switches, which allows for one of the two screens. You can then get some damage with either pain split or dream eater, both somewhat situational, but it's better then nothing.

Dream Eater isn't a viable move, let alone as a mono-attacking move. There is nothing to stop your opponent from switching out after getting hit by Hypnosis (and they more than likely will unless they need to burn the sleep counter) and you'll be SOL for dealing damage when Hypnosis misses. I doubt a Screen set should be staying in to attack anyway; you should probably run Rocks or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    Dream Eater isn't a viable move, let alone as a mono-attacking move. There is nothing to stop your opponent from switching out after getting hit by Hypnosis (and they more than likely will unless they need to burn the sleep counter) and you'll be SOL for dealing damage when Hypnosis misses. I doubt a Screen set should be staying in to attack anyway; you should probably run Rocks or something.
    Well, it's not for damage, but lunatone has no better recovery, so this is the best i can think of to make it bulky

Pretty much everything that CAN be said about Lunatone has been said. And with that, Generation 6 draws to a close. Farewell, Gen 6. The days of Smogonbird may be over, but it will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the most revolutionary generations alongside Gen 3.
    Sonic's the name, speed's my game!