Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Community POTW #003

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    17,766

    Default Community POTW #003

    Time for the next Pokémon, and as you probably guessed, this week we are dealing with the final Alola starter.



    Primarina is an interesting Pokémon, especially with its Hidden Ability

    http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/730.shtml

    Go nuts
    Last edited by Archangel; 11th December 2016 at 7:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hyderabad (India)
    Posts
    4,532

    Default

    Note: About something which isn't relevant atleast for now.

    Have nothing much to say regarding it except that it sort of got the short-end of the stick when it comes to the 'Hidden Abilities' of this Gen Starters.

    'Liquid Voice' seems practically useless for now, and may only become viable if Primarina ends up learning "Boomburst" in the future (DP remake?).

    This is especially true considering that it already has "Sparkling Aria" as its signature move (a sound based move with 90 BP) and has access to "Surf" (another 90 BP move). Both of which works the same way as "Hyper Voice" would work under 'Liquid Voice'.

    Though there maybe some minor use for 'Liquid Voice', mainly in doubles if i am correct.
    The reason being that both "Sparkling Aria" and "Surf" would also hit the ally Pokemon, while "Hyper Voice" won't.
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 11th December 2016 at 11:21 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    somewhere waitin for me
    Posts
    1,195

    Default


    Primarina @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Hydro Pump / Scald / Sparkling Aria
    - Moonblast
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power [Fire] / [Electric]

    Specs Primarina is the prime one! It's Sp.Def and typing make it a nice special tank and the edge it has over the other introduced Water/Fairy is that it is much, MUCH more offensive. 126 Sp.Atk isn't bad whatsoever, especially when boosted by specs and it has decent enough coverage to hit just about everything neutrally at least. Speed outpaces uninvested base 70's, it's unfortunate she's also kind of slow but oh well its workable. Hydro Pump or Scald depending on your preferences of power/utility. It's interesting to note that Sparkling Aria bypasses Subs, maybe it's worth a shot if you've got nothing on your team that dishes a burn? Sparkling Aria has this odd effect of curing burns, you see. You'll probably still want to just use the first two options because of it, but it does go through subs so there's that! Moonblast is secondary STAB that allows her to decimate Dragons. Psychic is almost entirely for Poisons such as Toxapex and M-Saur who will switch into her with impunity otherwise. HP Fire is for Steels though I suppose Electric can be used for Pelliper and especially Mantine! With the coverage she packs, I don't think Ice Beam is incredibly necessary.

    All in all, she's a passable special tank! A nice fit for UU, no?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    441

    Default

    I need to so some calcs before I post EV spreads for a set. But one of the biggest reasons that this mon will be viable in doubles is that it could use perish song well. Once it can match with shadow tag it could be pretty viable.
    Like Dewgong but with much better defensive typing. It gets the right moves for stall and perish song. Encore, dual screens, scald, charm and amnesia (but sadly not whirpool).

    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    On the road to Alola
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Liquid Voice has a niche with Water Absorb/Storm Drain/Dry Skin partners with Perish Song. Outside of that, I wouldn't use it when it gets released.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Central U.S.
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aura Flare Riolu View Post
    Liquid Voice has a niche with Water Absorb/Storm Drain/Dry Skin partners with Perish Song. Outside of that, I wouldn't use it when it gets released.
    Would that even work? Perish Song hits Ghost Types normally.

    Other Options

    Charm- More reliable than Scald for patching up your physical bulk, but the loss of damage hurts.
    Reflect/Light Screen- Dual Screens are always nice for team support, but the fact that they are wiped out by Defog hurts.
    Energy Ball- Strike down other Bulky Water types that would give you difficulty. Psychic is more recommended for Toxapex and Tentacruel.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 15th December 2016 at 2:07 AM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

    Pain is getting flinched 3 times in a row by an Aerodactyl.

    "Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals at any rate." -Roy Greenhilt


    FC: 5043-1767-3387

  7. #7

    Default

    Primarina is the starter I have the most trouble figuring out, but here's my assessment so far:

    Positives:
    + Water/Fairy is a pretty solid typing both offensively and defensively
    + Base 126 SpA is pretty solid, and it has the STABs to use it
    + 80/116 special bulk allows it to take some hits; Primarina can switch in easily on resisted special attacks
    + Can cover its lesser defense with Scald
    + Has a decently broad support movepool

    Negatives:
    - Offensively, Primarina struggles when it can't use STAB, and may have to resort to Hidden Power.
    - 80/74 physical bulk is far less impressive. Neutral hits will be more than sufficient to beat it.
    - Base 60 speed is far too slow for offensively oriented sets
    - Has rather poor recovery options
    - Given its existing movepool, its Hidden Ability is pointless.

    For now, I'd opt for a bulky special attacker with Leftovers and maybe Encore for utility. Depending on the tier it lands in, it might also be worth trying Choice Specs or maybe even a RestTalk set.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post

    Primarina @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Hydro Pump / Scald / Sparkling Aria
    - Moonblast
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power [Fire] / [Electric]

    Specs Primarina is the prime one! It's Sp.Def and typing make it a nice special tank and the edge it has over the other introduced Water/Fairy is that it is much, MUCH more offensive. 126 Sp.Atk isn't bad whatsoever, especially when boosted by specs and it has decent enough coverage to hit just about everything neutrally at least. Speed outpaces uninvested base 70's, it's unfortunate she's also kind of slow but oh well its workable. Hydro Pump or Scald depending on your preferences of power/utility. It's interesting to note that Sparkling Aria bypasses Subs, maybe it's worth a shot if you've got nothing on your team that dishes a burn? Sparkling Aria has this odd effect of curing burns, you see. You'll probably still want to just use the first two options because of it, but it does go through subs so there's that! Moonblast is secondary STAB that allows her to decimate Dragons. Psychic is almost entirely for Poisons such as Toxapex and M-Saur who will switch into her with impunity otherwise. HP Fire is for Steels though I suppose Electric can be used for Pelliper and especially Mantine! With the coverage she packs, I don't think Ice Beam is incredibly necessary.

    All in all, she's a passable special tank! A nice fit for UU, no?
    Sparkling Aria is way too niche to bother slashing on the set, especially with Hydro (your main source of damage). OO at best, and that's being pretty generous.

    Speaking of Hydro, I'd move the Scald slash to he after the HPs. Like I said, Hydro is your power move.

    Only 84 Speed EVs are needed to beat uninvested Base 70s.
    Last edited by Karxrida; 11th December 2016 at 8:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Snoozin'
    Posts
    3,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    Sparkling Aria is way too niche to bother slashing on the set, especially with Hydro (your main source of damage). OO at best, and that's being pretty generous.

    Also, only 84 Speed EVs are needed to beat uninvested Base 70s.
    Metal stated that Sparkling Aria does bypass subs, while that is 'niche', it is worth noting, and Sparkling Aria does have 90bp and 100acc whereas Hydro Pump trades twenty for twenty.(110bp and 80acc) So while Hydro Pump deals more damage it can actually miss, and well, we all know basically anything with 80 or lower accuracy tends not to hit, especially when we need it to.

    I'd much rather go with Scald for burns, but Sparkling Aria does indeed deserve a mention for it's ability to bypass Subs.

    FC: 3325-6380-7279
    Currently Hunting:
    Friend Safari:
    SR:

    Most Recent Shiny:


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Hitting past Subs is good in theory, but in practice how often do you even come up against a Sub user you want to hit with a Water move? The only prominent Sub users I can think of (in OU) are Pokémon that resist Water like Tapu Bulu.

    EDIT: You can beat Zygarde with Aria, but it's still pointless because Moonblast already takes care of it. I mean Aria is definitely more efficient in this case, but you're still eating up a moveslot for this specific scenario.

    Hydro Pump's power and Scald's burn hax are way more consistently useful because they have universal application. Aria is largely worthless.
    Last edited by Karxrida; 12th December 2016 at 5:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Snoozin'
    Posts
    3,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    Hitting past Subs is good in theory, but in practice how often do you even come up against a Sub user you want to hit with a Water move? The only prominent Sub users I can think of (in OU) are Pokémon that resist Water like Tapu Bulu.

    EDIT: You can beat Zygarde with Aria, but it's still pointless because Moonblast already takes care of it. I mean Aria is definitely more efficient in this case, but you're still eating up a moveslot for this specific scenario.

    Hydro Pump's power and Scald's burn hax are way more consistently useful because they have universal application. Aria is largely worthless.
    Hence why I said 'niche', it isn't entirely useless. It has a use worth mentioning, but that doesn't mean it's something everyone may want to consider. If you're consistently having issues with sub setter uppers, then maybe you might want to take a look at using Aria.

    I'm not saying that Aria is superior or equal to Scald or Hydro Pump, just that it isn't something you should disregard entirely. It can take care of Guts abusers too after a Knock Off, which aren't too common, but it is useful in that scenario. All I'm saying is it is worth noting, but you'll more than likely fall back on Scald or Hydro Pump.

    FC: 3325-6380-7279
    Currently Hunting:
    Friend Safari:
    SR:

    Most Recent Shiny:


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    Hitting past Subs is good in theory, but in practice how often do you even come up against a Sub user you want to hit with a Water move? The only prominent Sub users I can think of (in OU) are Pokémon that resist Water like Tapu Bulu.
    Gliscor, gligar, chandelure and entei run subs sometimes. And whether Prima hits OU or UU or lower, its always nice to have a way to break Gligar and Gliscor. And a few ghosts that are immune to hyper voice like to use substitute. But there aren't many uses for Aria, and scrappy exploud hits most ghosts harder.
    Last edited by Aduro; 12th December 2016 at 8:01 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    somewhere waitin for me
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    Sparkling Aria is way too niche to bother slashing on the set, especially with Hydro (your main source of damage). OO at best, and that's being pretty generous.

    Speaking of Hydro, I'd move the Scald slash to he after the HPs. Like I said, Hydro is your power move.

    Only 84 Speed EVs are needed to beat uninvested Base 70s.
    Ooh hey, just wanted to clear up that the extra 4 speed is to compensate for the imperfect speed from hp fire!
    Last edited by MetalSonic; 18th December 2016 at 2:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •