Page 31 of 174 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Aug 18: Media list)

Quote Originally Posted by satoharupika View Post
    So basically Digimon. Sorry but there's nothing wrong with Ash being an eternal 10 year old and the anime is his journey. Not to mention, bringing in a different male game character (why not female?) isn't automatically solving continuity. That's basically the death of it as we want continuity in all sagas, which we do have.

As we already know and Dephender has said it before, the lack of continuity was an oversight in XY(&Z). At least we got Dento returning at the very end.
    There is if you want to retain continuity without sacrificing character development. And not just Ash's development. We sacrifice the development of his pokemon, especially (but not limited to) Pikachu. There's a reason large contingencies of people consider Ash a joke and a failure as a pokemon trainer. It's because he's a stagnant character, and has been since probably after Hoenn, but certainly after Sinnoh. He inexplicably gives up his strongest pokemon in each new generation (and this is just a deus ex machina from the writers so they can feature new pokemon from the new region), he never wins a tournament, he reverts to a newbie pokemon trainer in some regions.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ash! He's my childhood. But I don't like what has become of Ash under this philosophy in the anime.

I'd be fine with them focusing on the girl player-characters. Actually they're the ONLY ones they've focused on, since Ash has been a constant. So it's been gen 1 player character (Ash/Red) and SOME of the female player characters (May, Dawn, Serena).

I'm very glad they're going back to where his character was fresh in the movie (presumably). But I think we could have accomplished everything the anime wanted to without having this massive problem of continuity issues. And think how exciting it would be to have had Ash return in future seasons as an older pokemon master to guide the newer generation. Or heck, have an older more mature Ash as the focus of a more adult themed series!
    Last edited by bossmanham; 17th February 2017 at 3:45 PM.

Personally, I would have ended Ash's adventure after DP and introduced a new protagonist for BW and beyond. Ash would still remain a recurring character though.
    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    I feel like this fandom idolizes Ash way too much. It was bad before, but with XY and S&M it feels like it has reached a whole new level. It's like every person that doesnt outright dislike him is obviously obsessed with with him, and every person who does him wrong is evil incarnate.

Living through other people is unhealthy; living through fictional 10-year olds that are stuck in a timeloop is super unhealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Personally, I would have ended Ash's adventure after DP and introduced a new protagonist for BW and beyond. Ash would still remain a recurring character though.
    This is what should have happened. Oh well it's too late now and he'll most likely be the main character for the rest of show until it ends
    ~Sailor Saturn~

Dang it. Every time I come into this thread expecting news, but nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    So...what's the likelihood of them keeping the nickname thing in the dub? Betting they'll go with Snowball if they decide to keep it.
    Still in denial about the name, mine's better.

Kiawe will catch Marowak (got this part right)
    Mallow will catch a Fomantis in SM035 or Steenee will evolve.

Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

That, and they could have done so for XY too. To start SM off fresh

Quote Originally Posted by bossmanham View Post
    There is if you want to retain continuity without sacrificing character development. And not just Ash's development. We sacrifice the development of his pokemon, especially (but not limited to) Pikachu. There's a reason large contingencies of people consider Ash a joke and a failure as a pokemon trainer. It's because he's a stagnant character, and has been since probably after Hoenn, but certainly after Sinnoh. He inexplicably gives up his strongest pokemon in each new generation (and this is just a deus ex machina from the writers so they can feature new pokemon from the new region), he never wins a tournament, he reverts to a newbie pokemon trainer in some regions.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ash! He's my childhood. But I don't like what has become of Ash under this philosophy in the anime.

I'd be fine with them focusing on the girl player-characters. Actually they're the ONLY ones they've focused on, since Ash has been a constant. So it's been gen 1 player character (Ash/Red) and SOME of the female player characters (May, Dawn, Serena).

I'm very glad they're going back to where his character was fresh in the movie (presumably). But I think we could have accomplished everything the anime wanted to without having this massive problem of continuity issues. And think how exciting it would be to have had Ash return in future seasons as an older pokemon master to guide the newer generation. Or heck, have an older more mature Ash as the focus of a more adult themed series!
    What's wrong with giving up his strongest Pokémon? He wants to always have a fresh start in every region he goes to (and Pikachu is one of his strongest Pokémon), he said it before. He doesn't think it's a good idea to keep using the same Pokémon he has and catching new Pokémon he doesn't get to use since he'll be using older Pokémon. It isn't a DEM for the writers to have Ash deposit his old Pokémon to showcase new Pokémon. They're showcased in basically every episode and majority of the time, the writers want to showcase the regional starters the most. What's the point of even showcasing new Pokémon, much less catching them if Ash isn't gonna train them to become the very best if he's stuck with the same old Pokémon. A lot of the Pokémon he trained (his DP team, Krokodile, Greninja, Septile, Hawlucha, etc) has came out pretty strong.

Just because some people think of Ash as a loser, it doesn't equal to most and isn't a fact. I wanna see evidence of Ash as a failure of a Trainer. He was rebooted in BW sure and he struggles a bit in the beginning but no way is he a loser just because he doesn't win the regional League (excluding Orange League and Battle Frontier) and definitely isn't a failure as a Trainer. Ash has grown up but retained his core personality traits even though I sometimes miss him being a hot headed stupid snarky kid back in his early days. If Ash now isn't what you want him to be, that's fine as everyone has an image of what they want him to be like but it won't change how he is now.

I guess that makes the most sense. Though we all know the writers would never replace Ash and Pikachu like they've considered Team Rocket. I can't imagine the anime without Ash and Pikachu.
    Last edited by satopi; 17th February 2017 at 8:30 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    Dang it. Every time I come into this thread expecting news, but nope.
    If there's news, the thread title will be updated with a note about it.

What's wrong with giving up his strongest Pokémon?
    If his goal is to win a league, then starting over after a loss seems like a really bad strategy. I know they've tried to explain it in the show. No one buys it.

I don't want to pull the thread too off topic, and I know not everyone will agree, but there is a perception within the committed fandom, AND in the general population that knows who Ash is, that he's a bad trainer. It's a meme.

I love Ash. I just think these creative decisions have hurt his character.

I am eager to see what they do with him in the new movie. (Skeptical though given the prior decisions).
    Last edited by bossmanham; 18th February 2017 at 1:16 AM.

If his goal is to win a league, then starting over after a loss seems like a really bad strategy. I know they've tried to explain it in the show. No one buys it.

I don't want to pull the thread too off topic, and I know not everyone will agree, but there is a perception within the committed fandom, AND in the general population that knows who Ash is, that he's a bad trainer. It's a meme.

I love Ash. I just think these creative decisions have hurt his character.

I am eager to see what they do with him in the new movie. (Skeptical though given the prior decisions).
    And again, this doesn't mean it's a fact that Ash is a bad trainer, which he isn't. It seems your only thing to back it up is that he keeps starting over with just Pikachu in a new region. And no one takes a meme as a fact or anything to say "Yeah, this guy sucks".

I'll just drop this topic here since we both have different/opposite opinions so I'll agree to disagree.

Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Quote Originally Posted by sc090500 View Post
    Looking at serebii's archives, Oha Suta has posted a new trailer for the summer movie the first Wednesday in March for the last 4 years in a row. Its not a 100% sure bet, but it seems highly likely we can get the next info dump on March 1, 2017. Hopefully lol
    Well then I'm looking forward to March's apparent trailer. The main thing that I want to see in it is whether or not this film will show stuff that Ash actually experienced during his Kanto journey or if it'll be like a reboot and show retconned moments.

Something about Ash bugs me less in the current two regions than before, and maybe it's the fact the formula's been going on for so long that they play on the 'limbo' his character is stuck in. Characters these days always end up dumbfounded that a ten year old trainer that usually still acts like a humble goofball somehow demonstrates all this experience and insight. He's almost like an idiot savant, he could tell his new friends at any moment he's saved the world about two dozen times and cleaned up about six regions worth of problems, but he just wants to see new Pokemon.

POKEMON FAN:
    http://i.imgur.com/ZAIkJ5o.jpg

Are you ready for your adventure?!

Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! premieres Saturday July 15th!
    Satoshi and Pikachu look up at the sunset. Before them, we can see a Pokémon flying through the skies...! The poster for the new Pokémon movie gives us huge expectations for the story we all want to learn more about!!

http://i.imgur.com/dk8wX1p.jpg

The boy setting out on an adventure is Satoshi...?
    In the teaser for the movie, we see a boy that seems like he'll be setting off on a journey soon. He gives us the feeling that he's just starting out, that he's walking out into a world never before seen!!

A small town surrounded by nature. Is this where he'll take his first step as a Pokémon Trainer from...?

The boy, who's wearing a hat, grabs a monster ball and rushes outside! There's no doubt: The protagonist of this tale is Satoshi!

A legendary Pokémon: Its name is HOUOU!!
    The Pokémon with the big wings Satoshi and Pikachu are looking up at is Houou!! It's a legendary Pokémon that's also said to have been mentioned in myths. So is this movie a tale of an adventure of Satoshi's related to Houou...?

What is Houou's secret?!
    It is said to have wings that shine in seven colors and to live at the foot of the rainbow. Shrouded in mysteries as it is, it truly is a legendary Pokémon!!
    Last edited by Dephender; 18th February 2017 at 7:41 AM.

Based on the summary, it sounds like Ho-oh will have a prominent role rather than a brief appearance. Which is fine with me
    Friend code:3454-4819-4829

Feel free to add me

This is hinting big on Ho oh having a big role in this movie. Niiiice!!! Also, Ash is looking incredible with the OS-SM hat design, natural brown eyes, BW-SM eye shape, and OS clothes. I hope we see him being hot headed and a stupid little snarky brat again.

I hope Ash is from Alola!!! It'll be funny if he's from Kanto or Johto though.

It'll be a big disappointment if they retcon anything IMO. I'm all for expanding on the story, though.

It'll be a big disappointment if they retcon anything IMO. I'm all for expanding on the story, though.
    Eh, if they go for alternate universe approach, it doesn't count as retconning.

I'm still clinging onto an all-series recap film, but maybe they'll spice it up by showing Ash continuously tracking Ho-oh and other scenes.

Hey guys maybe they'll remind us of the GS Ball!

Or not.

I'm all for Ash and Pikachu heading out to find Ho oh again.

It's interesting to note that in these scans, Ash's character design is from BW and XY.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    I'm still clinging onto an all-series recap film, but maybe they'll spice it up by showing Ash continuously tracking Ho-oh and other scenes.
    No thanks. An original story involving Ho-oh would be easier than cramming six sagas in a hour and a half film
    Friend code:3454-4819-4829

Feel free to add me

It'll be funny if he's from Kanto or Johto though.
    It will be funny if he is from Kanto?

The town looks like Pallet. It doesn't matter if they're being cagey about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kein View Post
    It will be funny if he is from Kanto?

The town looks like Pallet. It doesn't matter if they're being cagey about it.
    As in it'll be funny of them hiding where Ash is from only for it to be Kanto, which is where he's originally from. They do these types of things sometimes. ^^ It'll make sense that he's from Johto though since Ho oh and the legendary dogs have a connection in that region.

Yep it's definitely Pallet Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Red and Blue View Post
    No thanks. An original story involving Ho-oh would be easier than cramming six sagas in a hour and a half film
    Either way, it's going to have to feature timeskips unless you literally want just a rookie Ash plus Pikachu running after a Ho-oh.

Personal preference, but I'd rather see more than just Kanto. Maybe montage the events of that series and then afterwards continue the Ho-oh story in that region, and then move onto the next series with again a montage followed by more Ho-oh shenanigans.

As in it'll be funny of them hiding where Ash is from only for it to be Kanto, which is where he's originally from. They do these types of things sometimes. ^^ It'll make sense that he's from Johto though since Ho oh and the legendary dogs have a connection in that region.
    It wouldn't make sense to move Ash's hometown to Johto just because of Ho-Oh, which flies all over the world looking for a pure hearted trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread
    Personal preference, but I'd rather see more than just Kanto. Maybe montage the events of that series and then afterwards continue the Ho-oh story in that region, and then move onto the next series with again a montage followed by more Ho-oh shenanigans.
    Considering that Ho-Oh only ever appeared in Kanto... Let's put personal preferences asides, shall we?
    Last edited by Kein; 18th February 2017 at 8:08 AM.

Ho oh is the new Dunsparce in this movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein View Post
    It wouldn't make sense to move Ash's hometown to Johto just because of Ho-Oh, which flies all over the world looking for a pure hearted trainer.
    It doesn't make sense to change Ash's home region in general but they're doing it anyway. I say, why not?!
    Last edited by satopi; 18th February 2017 at 8:13 AM.

Page 31 of 174 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast