Dragonite
    Ability: Multiscale/Inner Focus
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs/Damp Rock
    -Hurricane
    -Surf
    -Thunder
    -Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor/Rain Dance
    EVs: 252 SATK/252 SPD/4 HP
    Nature: Modest (+SATK, -ATK) or Timid (+SPD, - ATK)

This is a Dragonite that is meant to be used in the rain, providing 100% accurate Hurricanes and Thunders while firing off boosted Surfs. Obviously this Dragonite appreciates weather support in the form of Politoed and Pelipper, but can always choose to setup rain itself (albeit at a huge loss in power). EVs are standard sweeper fair. I recommend Modest over Timid, as Base 100 SATK, while usable, is not what it used to be. Item is to boost damage or extend Rain (if setting up). If Dragonite is not setting up rain, Dragon Pulse can be used for STAB coverage and Draco Meteor can be used to punch holes in anything that thinks can wall it.

PlMPNITE (Cause someone has to)
    Dragonite
    Ability: Multiscale
    Item: Leftovers
    -Wrap
    -Toxic
    -Roost
    -Protect/Sky Drop/Fly
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SDEF/4 DEF OR 252 HP/252 DEF/4 SDEF
    Nature: Impish (+DEF, - SATK) or Careful (+SDEF, -SATK)

Stall set. Use Wrap to trap your target in with Dragonite (preferably one w/o an Ice, Dragon or Fairy move), slap a Toxic on it and kill the opponent with all of the Damage over Time effects. Use Roost and Leftovers to get back Multiscale. Use Protect, Sky Drop or Fly (Fly being the least recommended) to stall out Toxic and Wrap. 91/95/100 defenses are reasonably bulky and become downright formidable with Multiscale. Obviously anything immune to Wrap and/or Toxic walls this set pretty hard. Credit to StreetFlare for mentioning this. Just added EVs and nature to properly flesh it out.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 7th January 2017 at 7:25 PM. Reason: Added PlMPNITE
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

Pain is getting flinched 3 times in a row by an Aerodactyl.

"Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals at any rate." -Roy Greenhilt

FC: 5043-1767-3387

Doubles:

Dragonite is considered pretty bad in Doubles mainly due it suffering from four moveslot syndrome and Multiscale being much less useful here (two opponents could attack it at the same time). Generation VII doesn't bring anything new to table for Dragonite. So it's better off using Gyarados or probably Zygarde, but if you insist:

Dragonite
    Item: Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
    Ability: Multiscale/Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    -Dragon Dance
    -Protect
    -Dragon Claw
    -Extreme Speed/Earthquake/Fire Punch/Superpower

Protect is very crucial in doubles. Dragon Dance is very crucial for Dragonite. I can't speak that much for its attacks other than they are pretty underwhelming, even Dragon Claw.

It's better off for it to hold Lum Berry as Burn and Paralysis will greatly cripple it. Also, most players are aware that most Dragonite holds Weakness Policy.
    AKA flamemario12 though I rarely used that dumb name since 2013
    Don't expect me to do all that much here.

As an aside; there's a troll set from Gen VI that is still being played in Sun/Moon. Popularized by PIMPNITE; it's essentially a Stall Dragonite; running Toxic/Roost/Bind and either Sky Drop or Fly, with Leftovers for added recovery. This is not my suggestion; but it is a footnote for a stupid idea that people seem to be trying to pick up on and use in Passerby battles.

I'll post a more legitimate set if I can think of one.
    While I'm no experienced trainer, I'll battle, trade and give anything a go...

FOR THE FREEDOM OF FANFIC WRITERS EVERYWHERE!

If we're posting gimmicky sets I might as well post one too

Dragonite @ Darkinium Z
    Adamant Nature
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
    Multiscale
    -Hone Claws
    -Dragon Rush
    -Extreme Speed
    -Iron Tail

The idea is simple. Set up with Z-Hone Claws to get +2 Attack and +1 Accuracy, and then try to be a bulky attacker. Dragon Rush is STAB and hits fairly hard, Extreme Speed is priority, and Iron Tail hits fairy types. Iron Tail can be replaced with Superpower or Fire Punch to deal with Steel types instead. It's unfortunate that most good sets are still unavailable until Pokébank opens up, it still doesn't have Extreme Speed or Superpower in Gen 7.

I'm going to assume for the moment that we're talking about non-Extreme Speed Dragonite (that Bank update cannot come soon enough) so now is a good time to talk about alternative sets. Question is, what is a good alternative? Best answer I've got right now is a bulky Roost set, something along these lines:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    EVs/Nature: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe, Jolly or Adamant
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake / Fire Punch

Yeah, it's not as good as it could be, but as a stopgap solution it's okay. The idea is to use Dragonite's Multiscale and natural bulk to build up opportunities to DD, then sweep with your choice of almost-but-not-quite unresisted move combo. Your choice of Earthquake or Fire Punch will depend on what you want to be walled by least. Choose Fire Punch and you're bait for Azumarill or Tapu Fini, but choose Earthquake and Skarmory and Togekiss will laugh at you. EQ also carries more power and is a non-direct attack, as opposed to Fire Punch's small chance to burn. This may not work as well as, say, RestTalk Mega Gyarados, but it does have its perks...if you can stave off status afflictions until you're set up.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Fly
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Punch / Earthquake

Introducing the Flynite-Z Dragonite! Dragon typing is almost a curse right now but it still has its resistances and Dragonite is still as ok as ever. This particular Dragonite set is as standard fare as usual with one interesting thing; Flynite. After a DD, Flynite Fly becomes a monster of an attack. Going as far as certainly OHKO'ing things like 252 HP/Def Tapu Fini after rocks, and severely lowering Landos HP by at least 65% on the neutral just as examples. Rest of the moves are standard coverage with Fire/EQ as the main coverage choice.

^ Credits to Conquer Phoenix

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

I've never tried it myself but my friend always liked this set for Dragonair
    Ability- Marvel scale.
    Item- Evolite.
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage/ Dragon Rush
    Rest
    Waterfall/sleep talk

Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    I've never tried it myself but my friend always liked this set for Dragonair
    Ability- Marvel scale.
    Item- Evolite.
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage/ Dragon Rush
    Rest
    Waterfall/sleep talk
    I might slash Dragon Tail in there for RestTalk versions, nice thing about Sleep Talk is it gives any move it selects neutral priority. After a DD or two, Dragonair can become a speedy phaser of sorts, which helps to prevent bulkier opponents or Unaware users from setting up on you.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.