Thread: Shipping Oscars 2016

Default Shipping Oscars 2016

Shipping Oscars
    Celebrating the Best of 2016

It's that time of year again! Time to take a look back at the previous year's offerings in this section to reflect and celebrate—the Shipping Oscars!

Special thanks to the past hosts: xEryChan, Meowth City, Skiyomi, Encyclopika, Water Spirit, shadow_shipper and Uzumaki Hinata.

We'll be following the same drill as last year and head straight to the vote. All the eligible stories/people have already been listed out in their appropriate categories. All you have to do is cast your vote. Eligible stories = stories that were updated at some point during the year 2016. That means even if your story was started in, say, 2013, as long as you’ve posted a chapter in 2016, your story is eligible for this year’s Oscars.

How do you vote? Simple enough. Just send me a PM telling me which folks you’d like to vote for. BAM! Done. The deadline for voting is March 1st, 2017, which means you’ve got some extra time to get some reading in even if you haven’t already checked a lot of these out. So please do vote!

And when you vote, you'll get a nice avatar signature with your name and pairing of your choice on it to proudly show your participation:

Note: Specify Pairing, Colors, and whether or not you want Background Effects.

I've also made some Shipping Oscars 2016 graphics if you'd like to display them in your signature to spread the word about the competition. Feel free to use them, if you'd like.

Spoiler:- Shipping Oscars Graphics:

Rules
    • All forum and sub-forum rules apply.
    • Vote by sending me a PM, not by posting here.
    • You cannot vote for yourself.
    • Vote based on the quality of the work, not on how you feel about the author as a person. Do not vote for someone just because they’re your friend.
    • If you have any questions regarding the event, don't post them here. Just send me a PM.
    • When you vote, you can vote for as many or as few categories as you want. But only one vote per category.
    • You can vote for the same fic multiple times as long as long as it’s for different categories. (Ex. Say a fic was up for Best Multiships Fic, Best One-Shot, and Best Fic—you could vote for it in each category if you wanted to.) Same goes for authors/reviewers.
    • You can sig campaign for this. As in, write "Vote for my/so-in-so's story in such-and-such category in the 2016 Shipping Oscars!" or something of the like in your signature, and I do encourage you to spread the word to your friends about this contest but... be ethical about it, kay? Don't attempt to coerce people who haven't even read your fic to vote for it or get your friends to vote for you - you'll be looking at disqualification and a possible infraction for sending unsolicited messages/advertising if you do.

Well, there's been enough stalling. On to the main event! The following posts will contain the categories you'll be voting for and the people up for the awards. Happy reading and happy voting!

Categories and Contenders

(Please note that I'm a flawed human being and if there are mistakes, misspellings, misplacement or miscategorizations on this list then you have only to PM me and let me know and I'll fix 'em)

Best Author

Spoiler:- Contenders:

Best Reviewer

Best Fic

Best One-Shot

Best Multi-Chapter Fic

Best AdvanceShipping Fic

Best AmourShipping Fic

Best Multiships Fic

Best Other Pokemon Shipping Fic

Best Non-Pokemon Fic

Best Drabble

Best Male/Female Drabble

Best Female/Female Drabble

Best Non-Pokemon Drabble

Best Multiships Drabble

Best More Please! Fic
    (This tricky little category covers the line between one-shots and multi-chaptered fics. It's for stories that were meant to be multi-chaptered, but for whatever reason, at least at the time of this posting, only have one chapter)

Best Timeless Fic

Hosted by me this year!

Author's Profile

Check out my writing!
    Fics: Hidden Power | Unrequited Love | Ghosts
    Drabbles: So Close | Classical Conditioning | The Cure | Cute

I have to admit, I'm surprised to see we're even having the event this year given how limited Shipping Fic production was last year. I'm glad that's not the case. Though upon seeing the contenders, I had remembered that I have been meaning to tell xEryChan that she could delete my Joyeuxshipping story if she wanted. I have no intentions of continuing it.
    I may not care much for Amourshipping, but I do love Serena!

Credits go to NintendoFan82 for this banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi & Touko View Post
    I have to admit, I'm surprised to see we're even having the event this year given how limited Shipping Fic production was last year.
    I knew we were still having the Oscars, I just didn't know who was going to be in charge of it. I forgot non-mods could asked to host these, so that hadn't crossed my mind even though I now remember a brief post from Pi about it last year. But yeah, it's true that production was pretty sparse compared to 2015. Just one of those years, I suppose.

Even with there being less categories this time, I think there's still going to be close calls. Gonna have to read through these carefully.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

I think forums have been dying down a lot now but it's nice to see that this is still up.

Just noticed: Shouldn't Pokeshipping have it's own category? I noticed that there's 4 fics up there whilst advanceshipping has 3.
    Last edited by ChloboShoka; 12th January 2017 at 1:16 AM.

So glad this is up now, I'll go ahead and stick this for you

Quote Originally Posted by ChloboShoka View Post
    I think forums have been dying down a lot now but it's nice to see that this is still up.

Just noticed: Shouldn't Pokeshipping have it's own category? I noticed that there's 4 fics up there whilst advanceshipping has 3.
    This year, a new category would only be made if two or more authors can contribute to it. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair to have a category, because one author can just write multiple, say, PearlShipping fics and be guaranteed an award. With PokeShipping I was a little iffy on whether or not to make a category for it, because Changes was technically authored by AquaMilotic. However, it still listed you down as a co-author, and since all four PokeShipping fics had you down as an author (not that that's a bad thing - feel free to write fics of a certain ship even if nobody else does ) I decided not to make a separate PokeShipping category. Hope this helps!

@ KP, xEryChan actually approached me to host this year's Shipping Oscars. I should have specified that to avoid confusion.

Hosted by me this year!

Author's Profile

Check out my writing!
    Fics: Hidden Power | Unrequited Love | Ghosts
    Drabbles: So Close | Classical Conditioning | The Cure | Cute

*enters thread* ooh look what do we have he-

Ohmywhatthe my fic has been nominated.

Sorry but that is so cool. I feel like I won't win (I've seen very few people interested in the pairing) but it's cool to know I'm on the list!
    Game OTP: IronWill (Dawn x Riley)
    Anime OTP: Marisson (Alain x Mairin)
    Manga brOTP: Origin (Steven x Wallace)

I also have a nominated story there!

I write shipping fics! In any of the stories I post in the shipping fics area, feel free to drop in to say hi and leave a review! I gain motivation to continue writing through this, so any kind of review is great!

"Our path may have a clear end with our friends, but it doesn't mean we cannot do anything with them while it lasts. Make sure you spend your time with them to the fullest, so when you have to part ways, once all is finally done, hold your head high, smile, and look onward to the future world that you made together!" ~ from this fanfic!

Quote Originally Posted by American--Pi View Post
    This year, a new category would only be made if two or more authors can contribute to it. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair to have a category, because one author can just write multiple, say, PearlShipping fics and be guaranteed an award. With PokeShipping I was a little iffy on whether or not to make a category for it, because Changes was technically authored by AquaMilotic. However, it still listed you down as a co-author, and since all four PokeShipping fics had you down as an author (not that that's a bad thing - feel free to write fics of a certain ship even if nobody else does ) I decided not to make a separate PokeShipping category. Hope this helps!

@ KP, xEryChan actually approached me to host this year's Shipping Oscars. I should have specified that to avoid confusion.
    That makes more sense now.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I know Satoshi x Touko mentioned this further up, but I did notice how fic production wasn't as frequent as last time. I've only been a member of the forum since September, but I looked at last year's awards and compared to this year's there is a considerably less amount of fics. Did we lose any fic writers along the way or something? Either way, this year's awards still looks to be shaping up to a tight competition! And since this is my first time in it, you bet I'm hyped!

Edit: I just counted the amount of fics, and unless I miscounted then, including Drabbles, we have 59 entries this year. Considering there are 52 weeks in a year, that means that on average there would be one fic a week except seven weeks, when there would be two fics. That's definitely less than last year.
    Last edited by Nerdy McNerdface; 14th January 2017 at 3:22 PM.
    Game OTP: IronWill (Dawn x Riley)
    Anime OTP: Marisson (Alain x Mairin)
    Manga brOTP: Origin (Steven x Wallace)

I also have a nominated story there!

I write shipping fics! In any of the stories I post in the shipping fics area, feel free to drop in to say hi and leave a review! I gain motivation to continue writing through this, so any kind of review is great!

"Our path may have a clear end with our friends, but it doesn't mean we cannot do anything with them while it lasts. Make sure you spend your time with them to the fullest, so when you have to part ways, once all is finally done, hold your head high, smile, and look onward to the future world that you made together!" ~ from this fanfic!