Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions

Default Unpopular Opinions

Maybe there's an episode you love and everyone else hates, maybe you find the most popular character overrated, or maybe you see a meaning in an event everyone else doesn't see.

Now, here's where you put them.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

"Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

XY Ash is overrated and too overpowered.

While performing isn't my preferred choice for Serena's goal; I'd rather have her do that than Rhyhorn racing. I also liked that the female restrictions it had kept Ash out from stealing even more screentime from her. I'd also would have liked to see Serena as the main character of XY instead of Ash and I would have liked to see her challenging gyms.

I care more for Serena's character and her character development over Amourshipping.

I like the way SM has been set up with the school thing.
    If SM is a rip off of Yokai Watch, then XY/Z is a very poor ripoff of shonen anime like Naruto
    Credit goes to Satomine Night

*Prepares to get flamed* I think SM sucks so far. It's all face faults and repetitive gags. Even BW was better, and look at the hate that saga gets...

* I didn't mind performing either, just it failed to make Serena feel accomplished goal wise. The whole setup and narrative needed some serious fine tuning, but the concept itself wasn't awful.

* XY was over rated, and XYZ especially so. It didn't break any new grounds and if anything just felt lazily done and rehashed old formulas and flaws even BW had bothered to fine tune a bit (it was the one series that truly felt like the twerps were just automatically winning all the time besides the inevitable final in their goal). I'd rate SM just by it's first nine episodes over the whole of XYZ, it feels so much more vibrant and cleverly done....so far.

* I don't mind comical Team Rocket, they just need to be used productively, as in not forced into episodes or made to interrupt plots with the same old shtick when the writers run out of ideas. I do however prefer them to be a challenge for the twerps, as in limited numbers of curb stomps and plot armour handed wins. Another reason the start of SM has shown more promise than all of XYZ. Hell even DA didn't use them as cheaply.

* BW was very flawed, but not awful. It gets credit for being fresh and different and at least making a try at rectifying some of the show's recurring defects. Similarly Iris wasn't really that much more annoying than any of the other female companions.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 12th January 2017 at 2:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    * I didn't mind performing either, just it failed to make Serena feel accomplished goal wise. The whole setup and narrative needed some serious fine tuning, but the concept itself wasn't awful.

* XY was over rated, and XYZ especially so. It didn't break any new grounds and if anything just felt lazily done and rehashed old formulas and flaws even BW had bothered to fine tune a bit. I'd rate SM just by it's first nine episodes over the whole of XYZ, it feels so much more vibrant and cleverly done....so far.

* I don't mind comical Team Rocket, they just need to be used productively, as in not forced into episodes or made to interrupt plots with the same old shtick when the writers run out of ideas. Another reason the start of SM has shown more promise than all of XYZ. Hell even DA didn't use them as cheaply.

* BW was very flawed, but not awful. It gets credit for being fresh and different and at least making a try at rectifying some of the show's recurring defects. Similarly Iris wasn't really that much more annoying than any of the other female companions.
    Iris was great, probably the best thing of BW for me. I also loved BW season 1 as well besides the whole Ash regression thing, but honestly that doesn't bother me as much now anymore since I found XY Ash to be more unbearable with all the praise he got, and he hardly ever struggled either.
    If SM is a rip off of Yokai Watch, then XY/Z is a very poor ripoff of shonen anime like Naruto
    Credit goes to Satomine Night

There's a reason why these are unpopular opinions, cause there unpopular

For me SM sucks, and that's that. I completely agree with Wednesdayz

Credit to FairyWitch and her shop

Similarly Iris wasn't really that much more annoying than any of the other female companions.
    Omg, I'm pleasantly shocked that someone is defending her. She gets way too much hate even though she wasn't as bad as people say. Like, she may've had a dumb catchphrase, but people act as if she was saying "Heil Hitler." :/

Here's a biggie.

I LOVE SM ASH'S DESIGN.

Seriously it just seems way more expressive and cute than any interpretation before. His personality is also thus far compromised perfectly. He's fallible, childish and goofy but has competence and insight beneath all of it. He's neither a whiny loser or an invincible ace.

*Dawn was written well, but for the most part you can take episode 1 and episode 191 of the DP saga and she has the same personality. I like her, but I can't help but notice that about her.

*I don't like Ash-Greninja. It feels lazy and was just another tool given to the God-Stu that was XY Ash to crush his opponents with, exception being Wulfric for 'flaws' and Alain 'for marketing purposes'. I'm also going to extend to the XY saga in itself, I felt some of the writing was the worst the anime's seen at times.

*I liked Iris. She's cynical but in an funny way. I used to dislike her, but catching up on the raw version made me like her.

*Lana is currently my favourite of the SM characters. I won't go into details since this is the Poll section however. Kiawe still the one I have high hopes for (Lillie too due to game).
    3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Chitoge (Moon)

Here's a biggie.

I LOVE SM ASH'S DESIGN.

Seriously it just seems way more expressive and cute than any interpretation before. His personality is also thus far compromised perfectly. He's fallible, childish and goofy but has competence and insight beneath all of it. He's neither a whiny loser or an invincible ace.
    Haks

I also didn't like Kanto and Johto

Credit to FairyWitch and her shop

Mine is that the BF arc wasn't as great as most fans think. To me it seemed cool in terms of battles, tho the arc's pacing was bad and we got too much filler. ^^;

Well in Serebii, you tend to have more constructive criticism.

But I know Serena and her crush is loved pretty much everywhere else. So unpopular opinion: While SatoSere had some really good moments, I honestly thought Ash had better chemistry with all the previous girls, except maybe Iris. I also thought Misty/May/Dawn were all better overall characters than Serena, and Iris in some aspects too.

Another unpopular opinion: Ash shouldn't have won in the Kalos League. The KL was rushed, and there were no cameos of older characters nor reserves appearing to battle. It was just a B-plot for the Flare climax.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Another unpopular opinion: Ash shouldn't have won in the Kalos League. The KL was rushed, and there were no cameos of older characters nor reserves appearing to battle. It was just a B-plot for the Flare climax.
    I personally feel he should have been disqualified as soon as the referee called time on his no-show against Tomo. Would have taught him to listen to Serena and think about the bigger picture than 'ooh battle'.
    3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Chitoge (Moon)

Unpopular opinions? I got some.

I think Amourshipping is not only overrated, but a major problem causer for the Pokemon Community.

I liked the BW series AND I don't mind Iris. In fact, I sort of liked her catchphrase because with Ash the way he was in that gen, it had truth to it.

I don't think getting emotionally invested in this anime is good for you.

I'll edit this once I think of more...
    Last edited by Satoshi & Touko; 12th January 2017 at 2:26 AM.

This is Ayla, my proud heroine from Pokemon Sun.
    She's a lively Festival Plaza goer and the fashion queen of Alola.
    She's also a people person and loves to help out fellow
    Pokemon Sunsters and Moonsters.

My FC: 4742-8614-1947. Please PM me if you need help
    evolving Pokemon, getting Dex entries, or need some Sun-exclusive
    Festival Plaza shop. I may be able to help you out.

I agree with this and for the reasons being said. When they're ready for Ash to win a league, there should be cameos, more episodes for the league showcasing more of his battles, maybe an episode before the finals where he doubts himself and thinks about the past leagues he was in, etc...a win at the KL wouldn't of felt right from this sense.

Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi & Touko View Post
    That's actually some good advice. I don't get too invested in the show that way anymore myself cuz I don't want to be disappointed when things go bad, like when Ash lost at the Kalos league.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi & Touko View Post
    That is some good, sound advice right there.

~ I love SM Ash, and I think he is probably the best Ash yet. His character design is very appealing; he is cuter and way more expressive than he has ever been, and his movements are so fluid and realistic. I also like his character; he is a nice balance of skilled Trainer and goofy, young boy.

~ I'm actually not too salty that Ash lost the Kalos League. At least he lost to an opponent whose strength as a Trainer was already well-established. On top of that, he was still runner-up.

~ *gets ready to run for my life* During my initial viewing of OS, I preferred Tracey over Brock. Brock's womanizing got on my nerves, and I thought Tracey was a nice change. Even now, I still, to a degree, feel that way.
    Last edited by Satomine Night; 12th January 2017 at 3:17 AM.

(Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Feel free to use this banner. Just credit me!
    More signature banners: You Fool! | Inferno Overkill | Laugh Together | Girl Power!

i would love to see ash and melody get together at some point
    Fc 190809318571 ign for y Aireus
    My friend safari has electrode, zebstrika, helioptile
    In game name for omega ruby is Aaron
    In game name for sun Aireus

I have claimed Pichu and together we will change the world

I personally think SM Ash is the worst Ash ever. He is acting like an idiot most of the time and his mature and badass self from XY which was one of his best aspects in my opinion, has totally disappeared. Though I will admit that I am liking SM more than I thought initially, that's mainly because of the other characters. Ash's character design+attitude is the worst so far among all sagas in my opinion.
    Last edited by 345ash-greninja; 12th January 2017 at 3:26 AM.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

DeviantArt

- Ash losing the KL league was the best approach if the league was getting that kind of treatment no matter what.
    - SM anime isn't bad. It's not amazing, but it's not awful as most people seem to exaggerate it as.
    - I didn't mind the Ash BW reset too much. It was far from BW's main problem. To add onto this BW isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.
    - I liked Trip as a character/rival, at least near the start. Too bad he became a jobber at all the tournaments he attended other than the Junior Cup and got abandoned by the writers for no good reason.
    - XY(Z) is overrated. Like really overrated
    ~ Limits are meant to be broken ~

Quote Originally Posted by Shinyhunter1990 View Post
    i would love to see ash and melody get together at some point
    That hussy from the 2nd movie? She and Ash barely even exchanged dialogue, though. I'm more of an Ash x Latias fan, myself.~

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    That hussy from the 2nd movie? She and Ash barely even exchanged dialogue, though. I'm more of an Ash x Latias fan, myself.~
    she did give ash his first kiss and nobody know if it was latias or the girl who kissed ash in the 5th movie
    Fc 190809318571 ign for y Aireus
    My friend safari has electrode, zebstrika, helioptile
    In game name for omega ruby is Aaron
    In game name for sun Aireus

I have claimed Pichu and together we will change the world

Sawyer is a good rival, Serena is a good character, Clemont is best male companion, Ash Greninja isn't that bad (by that I mean it's a really asinine concept but the execution could've been way worse). Ash gets way to much grief in XY with the "no personality" stuff and is exaggerated to high heaven, Alan isn't that bad either. (might as well start with XY because I figured it'd be very prominent in this topic)

I hate how Misty's two most prominent Pokemon (Togepi and Psyduck) were walking DeM machines which invalidated a lot of Misty's own actual trainer skill, and her Pokemon that COULD fight had zero personalities and little screen time

No opinion I have on BW is an unpopular one lol

SM Ash actually is better then XY Ash in terms of balance though, I don't mind if Lillie isnt like her game self, and Lana is best girl.
    Last edited by Soniman; 12th January 2017 at 4:00 AM.

Based solely on how the Kalos League was written, yeah I agree. Given the whole XY/XYZ series, no he shouldn't. But the way they wrote the KL forecasted a loss now that you mention it.

Attempts at serious drama work better as bad parodies and drinking games.

TF, despite their great arc, were still terrible villains because they had nothing to set themselves aside from even that of Team Plasma other than their leader.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

"Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast