Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 episode mark, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

Default 10 episode mark, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

Now that we're in the double digits and we've had our first major battle of the saga I wanted to know where people stand in regards to the saga right now and how they compared to your initial thoughts to it

I liked it to begin with and I still like it.

I still think it's early days because it could easily take a nosedive in quality.
    3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Chitoge (Moon)

Knew it was gonna be good just by Rowlet confirmation.

Turns out it's slowly becoming my favorite. Ash is likeable again, The cast feel like their own characters again, the interactions feel natural again, Rowlet is God-tier, Pikachu isnt as overdone as early XY, and Litten has me super hyped.

Episode 6 was supposedly the worst, but Ive still watched it 5 times because I adore the feel of this series.
    Last edited by phanpycross; 12th January 2017 at 12:18 PM.

My first thoughts: this has potential to become something great.

My current thoughts: this has potential to become something great.

I like it. There is a gradual plot build-up (Totem Pokemon treating Ash differently, Tapu Koko taking an interest in Ash for whatever reason, Lillie's fear of Pokemon and its mysterious cause, Lillie's family, Team Skull) and the characters are overall quite likable. The minimal Team Rocket intrusion is refreshing and their new gag is HILARIOUS. Ash is still competent and battles are decent. Some characters are not quite as impressive (looking at you Sophocles!) and some writing choices are worrying (the lack of Trial Captains makes me worry, hopefully they do appear at some point), but all in all, I'm pleased with what has happened so far.

Good. I would never like Ash's character design and his attitude in this series, but his performance in battles, his classmates have been very likeable. He has only one capture, haven't caught Litten yet, but it still has been overall good(especially Ash vs Hala, which was a sweep for Ash).
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

DeviantArt

Can't say I feel the same way. The first two episodes had me really interested but since then the only episode that outright grabbed my attention was Lillie's one.

Not a fan of the Rowlet line, and the more I look at it the more I dislike it. Although I think his character is somewhat overdone with the amount of derpiness, as much as I'm content with it being like that.

Similarly as much as people want to say Ash has more personality he's a lot more grating to put up with. He shows more EMOTIONS maybe, but that doesn't mean he has a better personality. Then those emotive responses just seem way too OTT. Not to mention I get pissed off looking at his face sometimes and I really don't know why I end up getting that mad.

As a whole I really think they're just overdoing the humour and it's slowly made me like it less. There's some things I enjoy with that, Bewear's random entrances are always wacky and are the highlights of the TR-involved episodes.

Oh and the battle vs Hala just didn't grab me like I thought it would, maybe I can put that down to watching a rubbish quality video that cut some important bits. Might actually have to go watch this episode again which I haven't done all series, even though I used to. Could maybe appreciate things a little better.

EDIT: Like I'm all for future Team Skull plot lines and that but it's the stuff in between that's just irked me so far.

Actually Lana's episode was good too, forgot about that.
    Last edited by DS0308; 12th January 2017 at 1:05 PM.

At the very start, I was pretty meh. Later previews really improved my opinion and episode 1 and 2 caught me. Are there issues? Yes, but it's not like any series has been free of issues.

I don't think my thoughts really changed.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

I still like it alot and I feel it's one of the best series so far. It definitely beats XY and XYZ imo
    Credit goes to Satomine Night

It's amazing so far, some episodes were 'bad' but it's getting better and better, IMO. Only one problem: Ash needs Pokemon ASAP.

Not really all that hooked. I kind of feel like I've been watching these episodes as a chore rather than because I am excited. Nothing has really caught me yet and maybe that is because I'm just not into it.

Like people have said already, Ash has personality...If you call "OMG ARORA! LOOK AT MY STUPID FACES HAHAHA A POKEMON JUST HIT ME ISN'T THAT FUNNY?!?" as personality lol? It gets annoying fast and it really makes you question his competence. Okay, him and Pikachu are strong and haven't been reset, we've established that, but he barely ever uses strategy and gets surprised when Rowlet does things he should have thought of.

The cast also has its own problems. The school companions barely appear, and most of the time its just Mallow and Lillie. Lana barely ever says anything when she appears, and none of them really have anything that stands out to me. I like how Lillie is afraid of Pokemon but even her gag is a little dry. It does however open doors for a strong character arc for her and her past. All the companions have a chance to show out in the future especially since all their trials are on the same island coming up, so I am looking forward to that. But then there is Sophocles..

I don't know why Sophocles is on the cast at all. Ash is already the Electric-type guy and he is showing off the Electric-type Z-Move, so why is Sophocles here? He isn't an Akala Island Trial Captain and he never interacts with any of the other school companions in the games until the games' ending. His Togedemaru is cute but very annoying and has random outbursts, just to have outbursts. Sophocles doesn't even add a noteworthy character archetype to the cast. He's just that nerd that specializes in Electric-types. His episode didn't improve on his character at all, honestly made me dislike him even more, and Tapu Koko giving Ash Electricium Z just made Sophocles' role as a Trial Captain completely pointless. What is he supposed to give Ash when he beats the Trial? A high five?

Don't even let me start on Rotom. Man that guy has so much potential but he just intrudes on things and drags things out and kwalege;krengldnj it's just so irritating lol

We are at the 10 episode mark and there hasn't even been a battle yet that I can say I legitimately enjoyed. Maybe because there has been a real lack of battles. Hala's battle was good but it as well as the other battles in SM lack the over the top hand motions trainers would make in battles to keep everything in motion. Most of the time Ash and his opponent are just standing still and it is jarring. Maybe because XY blew me away with this that I'm holding SM up to a higher T

So far I'm just not impressed with the series.

Quote Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
    Like people have said already, Ash has personality...If you call "OMG ARORA! LOOK AT MY STUPID FACES HAHAHA A POKEMON JUST HIT ME ISN'T THAT FUNNY?!?" as personality lol? It gets annoying fast and it really makes you question his competence. Okay, him and Pikachu are strong and haven't been reset, we've established that, but he barely ever uses strategy and gets surprised when Rowlet does things he should have thought of.
    He literally used strategy in today's episode, both with Pikachu and Rowlet.

He actually took advantage of Rowlet's ability to sneak up on his opponents and copied the exact same move Rowlet showed him in the previous episode in the fight versus Totem Pokemon's allies (the same one that surprised Ash initially because he didn't know Rowlet could do that).

Ash capitalized on his Pokemon's abilities and techniques and yet...I don't know why I even bother. As if anything SM Ash does will ever impress anyone.

The comedy is really getting annoying in SM so far. While a lot of things have been likeable, I think the comedy should be kept away from the battles.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    He literally used strategy in today's episode, both with Pikachu and Rowlet.

Ash capitalized on his Pokemon's abilities and techniques and yet...I don't know why I even bother. As if anything SM Ash does will ever impress anyone.
    I literally said "barely". He didn't use any against Team Skull, Tapu Koko, Grubbin, Mimikyu, James, and none against Yungoos and Gumshoos until Rowlet showed him and he went and said "hey I can do this".

The fact that he is so competent with Z-Moves is cool and its always great when we see him use one, but the whole comedy Ash thing the writers got going on just isn't working for me. He stands still during battles and only ever reacts with some over the top crazy face and jerky movement when something is off.
    Last edited by nuzamaki90; 12th January 2017 at 3:20 PM.

Prior-Looks odd, but I'm sure I'll love it all the same like the rest of the series.
    Now-Still looks odd, but I'm loving it all the same like the rest of the series.

The dramatic faces are the only thing that I need to get used to, and for the most part it's just been "Oh...ok" and then next scene happens. Other than that, it's still the same Pokemon I've always loved.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

IMO, disappointing so far. I was expecting the series to focus more on the plot than the animation this time, but only now the plot started and, despite being something new, the trials seemed like one of those boring tasks that Ash would've to do in order to solve a random problem from a filler episode. At least we got the totem battle, however, it didn't last much. There is also the kahunas, but we only get 4 kahunas and Hala's battle wasn't all that great, especially animation-wise (compared to xy gym battles).

Well, i hope it'll get better once Lusamine appears at least...

Quote Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
    I literally said "barely". He didn't use any against Team Skull, Tapu Koko, Grubbin, Mimikyu, James, and none against Yungoos and Gumshoos until Rowlet showed him and he went and said "hey I can do this".

The fact that he is so competent with Z-Moves is cool and its always great when we see him use one, but the whole comedy Ash thing the writers got going on just isn't working for me. He stands still during battles and only ever reacts with some over the top crazy face and jerky movement when something is off.
    This is something I noticed today, myself. While the Rowlet vs. Crabrawler match didn't fall as victim to it, the battle against Hariyama...dragged. There was this huge lag time simply for Pikachu and Ash to finally go "Let's dodge!"

As for my thoughts. I started out with high hopes. I still have high hopes, but after today...my fears have also increased in regards to the large cast and potential for lackluster battles where there should be great ones. Also, needs more Hau.
    Dare to Be Silly!

Ancienverse AU Fanfiction

Love in the Time of Teamwork
    Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash to want to take part, but she had no idea the ways in which it would change their lives for good or ill. She was confident, however, that by the end of that week, something between herself and Ash would be different. Amourshipping.

Remaining stories can be found in this community here.

At first I liked it. Had a good balance between almost everything.

Now the quality is starting to drop, but it's still ok as long as this drop ends somewhere.
    ~ Limits are meant to be broken ~

The first two episodes were somewhat promising, but after so many episodes without any meaningfull plot going on (Team Skull, Lillie or development of important characters not including the captains).

Right now, the series lacks of good characters, goal related protagonist besides Ash and some excitement. Right now it feels like a cartoon with different episodea and plot with some actual important episodes thrown in.
    I have still some interest into the series, but I can imagine the series to bore me to death in some months if the series continues like now.

I enjoy it because it's a series that I know is not meant for me, a person older than 20.

At first I didn't like it because of how goofy it looked. But as I kept watching, I started liking it.

Guess I was still salty for Ash losing the Kalos League it seems...

My initial thoughts: The series was shoring up to be very entertaining; the animation was going to be a pleasure to watch (from an artistic standpoint); and Ash was showing signs of being emotive again.

My current thoughts: SM is very entertaining. The animation is a pleasure to watch (it's so fluid!). Ash is back to being a goofy, overly excitable young boy, yet at the same time, he hasn't lost any of his competence as a Trainer. The other main characters show promise, especially Lillie (I'm really looking forward to her character development). Really, the only new character I don't like is Togedemaru; her random bursts of roly-poly excitement are a little grating.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this series, and I think I'll continue to enjoy it, as long as the quality doesn't drop or the emotional budget runs dry.

(Banner made by me, Satomine Night)

Decent so far, but the fact we already had a major battle done worries me... Well, the first island is pretty short compared to the others, so...

"I despise earth-dwellers. Self-centered, emotional... But when they need something, it's 'Oh dear seraphim, heed my prayer!' Heed this, morons."

Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Xenoblade Chronicles - Walkthrough

My first thought: meh, I give it a chance.

My current thought: ya not impressed, honestly my biggest problem with this series in the first ten episodes is that there no real plot or really any progression right now with the only exception is Lille which she is the best part of the series. That and the comedy is starting to get on my nerves now since it trying way too hard to be funny imo.

I haven't watched ep10 yet, but what I can say about what I've seen is that I'm... enjoying it? I seriously thought I wouldn't find the anime exciting or funny or interesting for the first portion before we got deep down into the plot, but boy was I wrong! There are some genuinely funny jokes, the style of animation has grown on me, the Lillie plot has already got me invested and Team Rocket are as funny as ever!

Is it just me or is Kiawe hot as hell

Credit to American--Pi for the amazing banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Do you touch yourself to XY Ash every night?

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast