Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 10 episode mark, your thoughts now vs first thoughts

The plot isn't too bad, but I hate how stupid Ash's new design looks and that it might become my big problem when I watch Sun & Moon. If the writers wanted to make Ash look so "young" to fit his age, they shouldn't have made him act stupid as well because this new Ash is reminding me way too much of Best Wishes, which was of course the era of stupid and absolutely clueless Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I never get why people see SM Ash as an idiot. He's the first Ash in recent history to actually do research on moves/mechanics before using them.
    True, actually the whole setup almost seems conceived in a way to make sure Ash doesn't look like a total idiot. A lot of the time he's a fish out of water at worst.

I also like this series has done a bit of a downplay on the 'Dodge' spamming or at least added more developed variations of it that involve more strategy (eg. Using a move to dodge, or commanding a direction). It's not brilliant but at least it feels more like an actual tactic.

This Ash if anything has the potential to be the most cerebral and methodical of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Satomine Night View Post
    IMO, SM Ash has looked quite serious in battle: http://i.imgur.com/Kn4ETMqm.jpg. It depends on the battle. He looked serious enough in his battle against the Totem Gumshoos and Hala's Grand Trial and whenever he is activating a Z-move. But that is my personal opinion.
    But a lot of the time, whenever he was reacting to, say, Crabrawler getting an attack off, he had these over-the-top facial expressions (I mean, come on, his uvula had a facial expression) where he NEVER had one of those before. At least, not to the extent he had here. That just doesn't come off as Ash but a caricature of him. To me, the problem they're starting to have is going too over the top. Over the top is just that, and the more you use it, the less special it becomes to the point it becomes dull and boring...like if a series killed off a character every episode, you'd become desensitized unless it was a mystery.
    Dare to Be Silly!

Ancienverse AU Fanfiction

Love in the Time of Teamwork
    Once every seven years there was a tournament celebrating the bonds between people and Pokemon. Of course, Serena expected Ash to want to take part, but she had no idea the ways in which it would change their lives for good or ill. She was confident, however, that by the end of that week, something between herself and Ash would be different. Amourshipping.

Remaining stories can be found in this community here.

The problem here is that people are exaggerating the scenes with funny faces and ignoring all the other scenes where the funny faces weren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    The problem here is that people are exaggerating the scenes with funny faces and ignoring all the other scenes where the funny faces weren't there.
    Yeah he looks pretty normal the rest of the time.
    Serena as a character>>>>>>>>>>Amourshipping

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax512 View Post
    His reactions look weird af

Revamping the design of a character who was been an integral part of the show for 20 years was always going to be a controversial decision
    This. This, right here, is what's putting people off about Ash's design.

Change is always controversial because people get used to the way things are. There's always going to be people against it. Aside from minor differences, Ash has looked more or less the same for 20 years. SM Ash is by far the most radical design change they've ever made. It doesn't matter what they were going to do with him, there were going to be people against it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

It's not like anyone was complaining about Ash's old design anyway.

That being said, I'm completely neutral to his new design. I neither love it nor hate it. Some of the facial expressions are a bit odd, but considering SM seems to be more comedic and SOL, they're not completely out-of-place either.

#slayqueenslay

Well SM was stated to be "slapstick", and that does mean exaggerated expressions and activities. As long as it's done in balance with a competent Ash, serious moments, and in continuity, then I'm okay with it.

Lightbulb

I mean the way I look at it SM ash is already a better character than how he was in best wishes mainly due to the fact that best wishes was a complete reboot having Ash making so many rookie mistakes that he should have known not to make.

tbh I think the writers are trying to do the comedy like they did back during the OS series, but at the same time the way the comedy being handled feels way too forced upon Ash, Sure in past sagas Ash would do funny stuff on his own that would embarrassed his friends at times, here it's like they just have to put all the comedy on poor Ash. I have no problems with team rocket since they're not be crammed into every episode and the comedy with them is funny.

I will say that the way Ash is in SM feels like a mixture of his OS self and XY self where we have a more expressive Ash similar to the Kanto and Jotho days and still a slightly mature Ash at times and Competent battler from the XY saga and at least he's not reset like many other fans have been claiming since SM started he's already off to a great start being able to use 2 z-moves and cleared his first grand trial with a 2-0 victory. Also Rowlet is amazing when it battles so far(really looking forward to how it develops in the future), as for pikachu he's always been a dependable pokemon when in battle.
    Last edited by ashsfuture; 16th January 2017 at 8:49 PM.

When I started, I was expecting the worse since I don't really like slapstick comedy. No qualms about potential skill level cuz you can't really determine that from the trailers/posters but his redesign annoyed me, especially when everyone else looks fine.

Now, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I still like XY better. Right now, the pacing for SM is really weird, seeing as Ash already beat the Grand Trial, and by extension, ~20% of the SM game already. I really hope it isn't loaded with fillers in the near future to make up for it and instead put an interesting story in the middle.

The slapstick is excessive IMO; there are scenes which are just flat out pointless aside from comedy. The lack of a consistent group is somewhat strange to me since it restricts his interactions to his Pokemon. I really hope the rest of the students show up more often and develop, and not just in some fillers.

Ash's design still annoys me. Going from the mature design in XY to this child design in SM is definitely a big jump, but I just can't stand his squiggles on his face being so exaggerated now. They seriously look ridiculous. Speaking of his design, the new art style isn't bad. I know the changes are to use a new animation style promoting fluidity, but I prefer detail in art style over fluidity in animation style, seeing how gorgeous the Ash-Greninja vs. Mega Sceptile battle looked due to all of the shadings throughout. The lack of shadings in SM makes it seem blander to me, regardless of animation style.

I might just be a person who prefers a more shonen protagonist as opposed to a slapstick show, but I preferred the more serious tone in XY with hints of comedy as opposed to somewhat of an even balance, forcing in some unneeded comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by doofinc View Post
    Ash's design still annoys me. Going from the mature design in XY to this child design in SM is definitely a big jump, but I just can't stand his squiggles on his face being so exaggerated now. They seriously look ridiculous. Speaking of his design, the new art style isn't bad. I know the changes are to use a new animation style promoting fluidity, but I prefer detail in art style over fluidity in animation style, seeing how gorgeous the Ash-Greninja vs. Mega Sceptile battle looked due to all of the shadings throughout. The lack of shadings in SM makes it seem blander to me, regardless of animation style.
    Actually, the squiggles on Ash's cheeks aren't that much more exaggerated in his SM character design than they were in his character designs from OS, AG, DP, and BW. In that regard, his XY character design stands out the most: the squiggles were smaller and less defined (that is, they weren't as darkly drawn). However, I suppose going from his XY character design to his SM character design does make the fact that his cheek marks are more pronounced again even more glaring.

(Banner made by me, Satomine Night)

Quote Originally Posted by MattySadler View Post
    This is basically my issue with the whole thing. Far too often Ash looks goofy, bordering on the ridiculous.
    That's why it's a kid's show not Downton Abbey.

Actually, the squiggles on Ash's cheeks aren't that much more exaggerated in his SM character design than they were in his character designs from OS, AG, DP, and BW. In that regard, his XY character design stands out the most: the squiggles were smaller and less defined (that is, they weren't as darkly drawn). However, I suppose going from his XY character design to his SM character design does make the fact that his cheek marks are more pronounced again even more glaring.
    I would say it's more or less the fact that Ash's z-marks are more round than ever before in Sun and Moon. Along with the hair. Sometimes, sharpness does have an edge in terms of impression, even if roundness is easier to animate.

Okay, so my thoughts then and now.

Thoughts then:
    - Horrified by the design change of Ash, accepted that I might have to take a long while to get used to.
    - Instant dislike of the "whacky" face on the poster and what it was implying.
    - School-format, hope they get out of this context soon.
    - Side characters, I hadn't played the game so I didn't know much, but I had thoughts that it would be getting too crowded quite fast and that development of them will be slow if any.
    - Horrified by the idea that Sophocles was getting a prominent role. That design honestly disgusts me more then Ash's redesign.
    - Gave the show a grace period until the end of 2016. Then realized that they were sort of still going to be in the introduction-phase (for which I can't fault it due to the set-up) so extended that by a bit until things get rolling some more.

Thoughts now:
    - Ash's redesign still bugs me everytime I see it..
    - But, in a large part, I've already stopped caring.

I've watched the first couple of episodes, but I wasn't even bothered to watch the Egg, Totem-episode nor the Hala-fight. Episodes I'd normally be viewing live. The Litten-troll really did a number on me, especially after that cringefest of a Sophocles-episode. I think I was right on the money when I thought that the character development will be slow. What the heck has Lana done since her episode? What has Sophocles done? Has Kiawe been a background character since the first episode? Yes. Pretty much the case. And yes, Kiawe is getting "his" episode this week, but how long will it take for him to get a second episode? Can we honestly expect to see "development" in the normal sense of the term for Bounsweet and Turtonator? I'm not banking on it at all. Maybe a short clip as to where Kiawe got it, but anything other then that? I doubt it.

And since I've now started playing the games, I'm even become to resent the school-format even more. I'm a chronically slow player and I've only just arrived at the Battle Royal-site, but I really like the vastness of some of the locations, or in any case, the feel of them. Yet, this school-format is limiting the amounts of travel is actually doing. Going back and forth between locations for a single episode or two isn't doing the region justice.

So it is my hope, sincerely, that sometime during the next 10 episodes, that Ash captures Litten and sets off from Melemele Island for good and then I might watch this show again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Well SM was stated to be "slapstick", and that does mean exaggerated expressions and activities. As long as it's done in balance with a competent Ash, serious moments, and in continuity, then I'm okay with it.
    Could just be me, but I've never seen the statement.

Honestly disagree here. First off, the squiggles were drawn quite near to Ash's eyes in his OS, AG and DP design. The middle vertical part is a good indicator of distance, as the distance was never more then half of the length of that vertical line in the middle of the squiggle. In SM, they've dropped significantly and thus stand out more. Secondly, the shape. They are now more "~"-shaped squiggles (as opposed to a slightly tilted "z") and are longer then the bottom part of the eyes, which wasn't the case during other series. This is due to the bottom of the eyes being drawn rounder since BW, but even moreso in SM. They are just about the first things that stand out.

You're right about the lines being drawn thinner in DP and XY though. So looking at placement, shape and length, they do look a lot different and the difference is very noticable, even when compared to the older series and not just XY.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

"If I had my way in DP, Ash would've hit the league with: Pikachu, Ambipom (his to keep), Torterra (Grass/Starter), Lucario (Ace), Chingling (Cute), Bidoof (Water-type) and Heatran (Fire-type)."

Spoiler:- GenVII Starter names speculation:

The second line is meant to be sarcastic.. Though there was a random trainer with a Heatran at the Sinnoh League..

As someone who couldn't stand XY by midway through its run and was forcing myself to watch the end of it, I really enjoy the change of pace SM has brought to the table.

My only concern before the series started was the new art look. At first, I found the re-designs to be pretty jarring, namely Ash's. The more I looked at it, however, the more used to it I got, and now that we're 10 episodes in, I like the art style for what it is. Looking back, it's beginning to feel like each new series has its own unique style, which I think is interesting and sets each one apart. Also, SM's animation is simply stunning, so that helped out a lot when it came to adjusting to the new art style for me!

I was actually intrigued by the whole school aspect from its first announcement. I know Pokémon is an action based series, but I personally tend to zone out during battles, and gym battle episodes were especially starting to get a little old for me. I feel that so far, they've taken this new approach on Ash's adventure and really run with it. I think the balance between school, home life, and battles has been done well so far. I enjoyed the first trial and Hala battle because they were balanced out with other events. Those episodes managed to keep my attention, which battle heavy episodes just haven't been doing lately.

The classmates are probably my favorite part of SM so far! I love their different personalities and designs. They all feel like definitively different characters while still meshing together nicely as a group. I really like that each one seems to be getting a focus episode, and we're learning more about their backgrounds, families, interests, even insecurities (as we did with Sophocles and continually do with Lillie.) This is something I hope they keep up. I already feel like I know these characters better than many others we've gotten in the past.

Aside from the classmates, my favorite part of SM so far has been the humor. I get that slapstick isn't for everyone, but for me, I'm LOVING it! I'm actually laughing during episodes again, which is something I haven't done in forever. Watching Ash be rash and impatient, and getting himself into less than ideal situations has brought him back to life for me as the protagonist. I am having so much fun watching him this time around. Yes, he's still competent, but he's no longer boring and one dimensional, and that is what I've been waiting to see out of him.

I know it's only 10 episodes in, but I am a big fan of SM so far! Every series tends to break down as it goes on, though, so I'm really hoping the writers can keep up at this pace for the rest of the series...or at least not have the series totally fall apart as they've done in the past.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456