Thread: Community POTW #010

Default Community POTW #010

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and this week's output from the RNG is just complete garbage.

It's Garbodor, the hideous but surprisingly useful Poison-type

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/569.shtml

Go nuts

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Gunk Shot
    - Seed Bomb

Garbador is a good Spikes setter in lower-tiered play, and fortunately he has access to both forms of Spikes. Gunk Shot is your main source of damage output, and Seed Bomb is to hit a lot of bulky Water-resistant harder. Rocky Helmet can be swapped for Leftovers if you want passive recovery.

Also, can I just mention something, regarding the most recent PotW? I realize that many of these PotWs are chosen randomly, but considering we are at the start of a brand new generation, is it not possible to bend the rules a bit and pick something more viable, at least in the first few months of Gen VII? Mawilite is the main reason to use Mawile competitively, and it is not released (and the writers of the last PotW even acknowledge this). Is Mawile's Gen VII PotW ever going to be updated if and when Mawilite is released? Probably not, no, meaning that for the entirety of Gen VII, we'll have a competitive analysis of Mawile that basically offers mediocre sets and wistful remarks for Mawilite. I like the PotWs, they sometimes offer up a new perspective on certain Pokémon that other sites do not offer. But covering what is right now a completely unviable Pokémon competitively is (in my opinion) an injustice to the PotW segment, and an injustice to Mawile.

Looking for some good competitive singles battles?
    Join the "Council of the Wall" Discord server
    here!

The Council of the Wall: Military Police Leader
    Pokégyms Reborn: Ghost-type Elite Four

FC: 1693-1773-2651

Talking Garbage Ideas

For those trainers bold enough to try an aggressive Garbodor set... like me... then maybe this one will take your fancy!

Weak As Garbage
    Garbodor @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Weak Armor
    EVs: 252 HP /252 Att / 4 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    -Gunk Shot
    -Protect/Explosion
    -Seed Bomb/Explosion
    -Drain Punch/Explosion

OK; so the set is mostly bad. BUT; with the Weak Armor buffs; it's not quite as bad as you might think at first. Once Garbodor takes a hit, it gets a -1 in Def, but a +2 in Speed. Basically, for the cost of taking a hit, you get a free Agility. Combining that with Weakness Policy if you can predict a coverage Ground or Psychic-type move, considering Garbodor's bulk isn't all that bad, and all of a sudden the opponent has a Pokemon on their hands which is running at +2 Att; +2 Sp. Att and +2 Spd, all at the cost of -1 Def. It's a rather risky set; don't get me wrong, but it's fun to experiment with in lower tiers.

Gunk Shot is the best Poison-type move that you get. From there, you've got your choice of moves. Seed Bomb hits the Ground-types that would inevitably threaten to spill your bin juices all over the place. Drain Punch helps keep Garbodor healthy; especially after the Weakness Policy proc. Protect is Protect, while Explosion is a good combination move with the Weakness Policy/Weak Armor combo; especially if you can boost Garbodor into being faster than the opposition, as it allows you to potentially take out a threat as well as the trash.

Back in Gen V; I used to run a defensive Garbodor set, running Clear Smog to help stop people setting up against it. Special Garbodor has a few more coverage options available to it, gaining access to Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, Psychic Giga Drain/Solarbeam, and the reliable STAB options Sludge Bomb and Sludge Wave. However, even with the greater versatility; anything coming off a base 60 Sp. Attack is hardly threatening, and it's not worth really looking into running special booster sets. However, as a tech option for defensive Garbodor sets; Clear Smog is actually a fairly effective choice as it allows you to keep all your hazards set up.
    While I'm no experienced trainer, I'll battle, trade and give anything a go...

FOR THE FREEDOM OF FANFIC WRITERS EVERYWHERE!

Ah Garbodor, the poor man's Alolan Muk. Seriously, Aloloan Muk badly outclasses Garbodor in most areas, leaving Garbodor's access to entry hazards as its saving grace.

Other Options

Haze - Strips setup sweepers of their buffs. However, since Garbodor has only slightly above average bulk, it might have difficulty surviving boosted attacks.

Favored Partners
    Sweepers love Garbodor for its entry hazards, breaking Sashes, Sturdy and turning near OHKOs into actual OHKOs. However Garbodor needs significant support to do its job. Defog users and rapid spinners abound ruin Garbodors setup attempts and Psychic/Ground attackers can quickly wipe out Garbodor before it can do its job. Xatu is particularly troublesome to Garbodor, bouncing back its spikes and quickly KOing it with STAB Psychic moves. The Misdreavus line make great partners, being immune to Ground, able to KO Psychics, immune to Rapid Spin and can taunt any potential Defog users (and clip them with Thunderbolt). The Drifloon/Murkrow lines are similarly complimentary, but either don't have access to Taunt (Drifloon) or are not Immune to Rapid Spin/able to quickly take out Defog users (Murkrow). Earthquake support is also greatly appreciated as Garbodor has nothing to take out Poison/Steel types that utterly wall its offenses and ignore Toxic Spikes. Gravity support is also appreciated, fixing the accuracy of Garbodor's more powerful STAB attacks and making sure everything suffers from its Entry Hazards.

Offensive Garbodor sets appreciate Psychic Terrain support for anti Priority, Reflect to offset Weak Armor, and Sticky Web to help overcome speedier threats.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 29th January 2017 at 3:24 PM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

Pain is getting flinched 3 times in a row by an Aerodactyl.

"Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals at any rate." -Roy Greenhilt

FC: 5043-1767-3387

What about a suicide set? Something like entry hazards + weak armor + Explosion + Gunk shot. Take a hit or two while setting hazards, activate weak armor, then suddenly outrun and go boom. It's horribly walled by Ghost types though, especially Gengar that cleans up Toxic Spikes. But then again, unless Garbodor runs Payback or Thief Gengar is going to wall every single Garbodor set out there. It can probably even reliably counter those with a Dark move if it manages to Disable it.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 29th January 2017 at 6:29 PM.

My least favorite Pokemon from my favorite region. Oh well.

Abilites:
    Stench: If the Pokemon makes physical contact with the opponent, then there is a chance the opponent will flinch. Interesting ability, but difficult for Garbodor to use considering its speed.
    Weak Armor: If hit by a physical attack, defense lowers by 1 stage and speed rises by 2 stages. Pretty nice. You could use this with some surprising results if you know how to set it up properly.
    Hidden Ability:
    Aftermath: If a physical attack was used to K.O. Garbodor, then the attacker loses 1/4 of their max hp. Not too bad either, but usually many will say to use Weak Armor instead.
    My FC is 3136-7747-4882.

Welp. Here's some VGC analysis on this… "thing." Haven't tested it but this is what I think it'd look like.

Garbodon't
    -Gunk Shot
    -Protect
    -Toxic Spikes/Stockpile/Curse
    -Recycle
    Ability: Aftermath/Weak Armor
    Item: Figy/Aguav/Iapapa/Mago Berry
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP or Spe, 252 Atk, 4 SpD

Okay. So with the abundance of Tapus running around, now is a good time for Poison types to come into play. I'd say the two best in this format are Nihilego and Muk-A, with Salazzle and Tentacruel having their niches as well. But Garbodor is there with a base Attack of 95 so it's not bad in that respect. But Garbodor only has one attack that can really make use of that: STAB Gunk Shot. So this thing really has limited uses. Poison does exceptional damage to the Tapus and Ninetales-A as well as Lilligant, but not much outside of that. Having Weak armor also helps it to sponge maybe one attack and outspeed a ton of things in the format, but Aftermath breaks Sashes and does damage period upon being KO's (which will happen a lot). Garbodor can kinda do what Snorlax can in Recycling its berry and boosting its defenses via Stockpile or Curse or use Toxic Spikes and poison anything that switches in. Tapu Fini can help against this with Misty Surge, but if you can predict the switch, you can maim it with Gunk Shot. It's really weak to Ground, especially Tectonic Rage Garchomp. So if you want to use this, you'll need a counter to Ground types, like Ninetales-A (which can also set up Aurora Veil for it). Psychic is also a problem from Raichu-A and Tapu Lele (Lele is done for if you already have a Weak Armor boost up tho), so be sure to carry like a Steel type like Metagross or Celesteela (Muk-A doesn't worry about Psychic types as much…). The EVs are to maximize attack and health or speed, and to make sure P2 gets an Attack boost from Download. Garbodor is useful in its own niche way, but you can guarantee it won't make any huge waves in VGC.

Quote Originally Posted by ampfire101 View Post
    Welp. Here's some VGC analysis on this… "thing." Haven't tested it but this is what I think it'd look like.

Garbodon't
    -Gunk Shot
    -Protect
    -Toxic Spikes/Stockpile/Curse
    -Recycle
    Ability: Aftermath/Weak Armor
    Item: Figy/Aguav/Iapapa/Mago Berry
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP or Spe, 252 Atk, 4 SpD

Okay. So with the abundance of Tapus running around, now is a good time for Poison types to come into play. I'd say the two best in this format are Nihilego and Muk-A, with Salazzle and Tentacruel having their niches as well. But Garbodor is there with a base Attack of 95 so it's not bad in that respect. But Garbodor only has one attack that can really make use of that: STAB Gunk Shot. So this thing really has limited uses. Poison does exceptional damage to the Tapus and Ninetales-A as well as Lilligant, but not much outside of that. Having Weak armor also helps it to sponge maybe one attack and outspeed a ton of things in the format, but Aftermath breaks Sashes and does damage period upon being KO's (which will happen a lot). Garbodor can kinda do what Snorlax can in Recycling its berry and boosting its defenses via Stockpile or Curse or use Toxic Spikes and poison anything that switches in. Tapu Fini can help against this with Misty Surge, but if you can predict the switch, you can maim it with Gunk Shot. It's really weak to Ground, especially Tectonic Rage Garchomp. So if you want to use this, you'll need a counter to Ground types, like Ninetales-A (which can also set up Aurora Veil for it). Psychic is also a problem from Raichu-A and Tapu Lele (Lele is done for if you already have a Weak Armor boost up tho), so be sure to carry like a Steel type like Metagross or Celesteela (Muk-A doesn't worry about Psychic types as much…). The EVs are to maximize attack and health or speed, and to make sure P2 gets an Attack boost from Download. Garbodor is useful in its own niche way, but you can guarantee it won't make any huge waves in VGC.
    I don't think Garbador can pull off anything close to Snorlax with Recycle due to its typing and much worse stats, but it is an interesting take since Garbador is never seen anyway! Toxic Spikes are terrible in VGC though, as are any hazards. I think that's even more so the case this year with Tapu Fini being one of the most common Pokemon.
    FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!

I would have to agree on that; entry hazards aren't really all that viable in VGC. As much as I enjoy the format; Garbodor isn't really cut out for it. Tapu Fini, Celesteela/Steel-types in general... Garbodor isn't fast enough to hit the Tapu before it nukes the garbage bag, and Garbodor can't touch Steel-types in VGC, considering that the only Fighting-type move it gets is Drain Punch from Gen VI tutor.

I should point out that Garbodor DOES get Dark Pulse to hit Gengar with; but as I stated earlier, Garbodor's special offense leaves a lot to be desired.
    While I'm no experienced trainer, I'll battle, trade and give anything a go...

FOR THE FREEDOM OF FANFIC WRITERS EVERYWHERE!

Quote Originally Posted by EKZ1505 View Post
    I don't think Garbador can pull off anything close to Snorlax with Recycle due to its typing and much worse stats, but it is an interesting take since Garbador is never seen anyway! Toxic Spikes are terrible in VGC though, as are any hazards. I think that's even more so the case this year with Tapu Fini being one of the most common Pokemon.
    What I'm saying is like it doesn't have much else, plus it can deal big damage to fini if you can bait it in but yeah still situational

Quote Originally Posted by WhyBuffet View Post
    Rocky Helmet can be swapped for Leftovers if you want passive recovery.
    Err, dont'cha mean Black Sludge, there?
    Sonic's the name, speed's my game!

Why would Tapu Fini switch in on Garbodor though? Just to clear hazards with Defog? Misty Surge triggers after hazards so Tapu Fini can't prevent itself from being poisoned by Toxic Spikes either.

Not gonna lie, I have almost literally zero experience with Garbodor, either using it or facing it. This thing appears to work best defensively, given its typing and movepool, but I suppose there might be some potential for offensive sets given its stats? 80/82/82 is not spectacular bulk, but 95 base Attack is...okay, I guess. Garbodor has access to Rock Polish, which turns its base 75 Speed into a considerable threat even without full investment, so you could place some investment in bulk. Eventually, transfer could make Drain Punch and Seed Bomb available to it again, and Fighting/Grass/Poison get decent coverage together. It's not ideal by any means, but I figure it could be situationally useful in NU, maybe OO worthy. Has anyone tried anything like this before?
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.