Thread: Day and Night

Default Day and Night

One of the most noticeable new features in G/S/C was the day and night system. For the first time, we were able to set the time and play during the night in-game.

Did you like this feature? Why or why not?

I loved it, and really liked that wild Pokemon encounters could change depending on the time of day lol. Glad this feature stayed with most future installments in the series, too.

I thought it was okay. Didn't really care much about it when playing G/S/C, though I thought it was cool that the overworld in the games made a visual change depending on what time it was and how the music changed. I also thought it was interesting how some wild Pokemon encounters changed, though it wasn't only positive as I found it annoying to get up early just to catch a Ledyba, and it felt a bit limited too since the encounters didn't change that much. It seems that Crystal made some pretty good use out of the encounter changes depending on the time, though I never noticed it much when playing the game. Overall, this feature was pretty cool but a bit limited for its time. I didn't really miss it in Gen 3. Though it was only completely absent from FR/LG, it was just the visual effect that was missing from R/S/E. I like the feature, but it isn't extremely important to me. It was innovative for its time, but it feels like the old games never really did a lot with it. Modern games have done much more and better things with it, especially Sun/Moon.
    September Blue, Thy sorrows be forgotten
    October Auburn, Let this season pass
    November Gray, Restore with thy rain
    December White, Thy beauty ever last

When I first played GSC, I didn't really like the day & night feature as my GBA's screen was so dark during nighttime in the game that I had a difficult time seeing what was going on in the overworld. I no longer had this problem when I got my SP, fortunately.

Nowadays, I think the feature's fine. I'm used to it, so it's just a normal part of the game like everything else. However, it's not a super important feature to me - I didn't care that it was really limited or non-existent in the Gen 3 games.
    >>// \\<<

I loved the night feature in G/S/C, but I'll admit that when I first saw the dark hue change in G/S/C when it was dusk, I thought my game was broken hee hee. I also liked mornings in the Johto games cuz everything looked so crisp and bright. :3

I liked the night feature from GSC because of the fact that Pokemon like Hoothoot and Spinarak would only come out at night. It made the games seem more realistic.

I like the feature. It makes sense that some pokemon would be nocturnal and its cool to see areas look different at night. It can be interesting to think about in GSC Nuzlockes too. But I kinda with I could change night and day by using beds, I mean I'd normally just change the DS clock anyway. And it would be nice if people acted differently in cities.

It is cool, but it creates a problem for kids in school or people at work. I can't play the game whenever I want; if I'm only home at night I can only catch nocturnal Pokemon.

I like the feature. It makes sense that some pokemon would be nocturnal and its cool to see areas look different at night. It can be interesting to think about in GSC Nuzlockes too. But I kinda with I could change night and day by using beds, I mean I'd normally just change the DS clock anyway. And it would be nice if people acted differently in cities.
    Not a bad idea; I've often wished there was a way to change the game's clock.
    † I am a Christian and not ashamed of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

https://websitering.neocities.org/

It was a nice touch that made the game a bit more interesting. It certainly made it easier to include so many pokemon within the games.
    I can't remember if it happened in Gold and Silver, but I do remember that in Crystal, it was possible to encounter sleeping pokemon through headbutting trees at at different times. I remember for certain catching a Spearow at night and a Hoothoot during the day thanks to this.
    Favourite Water Types

Although I was kinda annoyed when the game went dark at night, I overall liked the day and night feature. I liked the choice of Pokemon that appeared at certain times (Hoothoot at night only, etc), and I thought it was interesting how Eevee only evolved into Umbreon or Espeon at certain times.

Yes, it was a nice addition. The nighttime feature made it look cool. I like that certain Pokemon are available depending on the time of the day.

I liked this feature. The change of the battle music theme against wild Pokemon was nice, and so was the Pokemon avalability during certain times of the day. The overworld changes were a bit sudden, though, but I didn't really like the overworld in Generation IV from 5.00 PM to 7.00 PM,either.

I think a game where day and night is a major theme is a good idea, so I like it. Even still, the earlier games could have dark or scary periods without a 'night' period, because you could assume that the light matched the atmosphere of the location..
    { We keep praying and looking to the skies }

When I played GSC games for the first time as a kid, I was really annoyed and mad at the developers, since it indeed made it difficult to play the game. The palette and hardware limitations might have contributed to making the games even more confusing and hard to follow for kids during night time. But as I grew older and became used to day and night systems in games, it began to make more sense and turns out I like playing at night more now.

Although Pokémon games have always been vibrant and colourful, some locations look really beautiful at night, particularly in relatively newer games. Having gameplay dependent on time is a nice feature as well. I remember killing time just to be able to get access to certain areas and catch pokemons that are available only at night.

It was cool to see night in these games, though it wasn't too realistic (i.e. NPCs still roamed outside despite how late the time was).

I absolutely enjoyed the Day/Night time feature. It seemed more realistic to me. Plus I'm a night time person in real life, so I loved the fact that it could be night time in the games as well.

Spoiler:- Here's my friend codes for PS4, Xbox One and 3DS:

I thought it was great and was really disappointed when it didn't return in RS. It made the world feel more alive. I wish that they would do more with it in future games, it's almost purely cosmetic these days.
    Currently Playing

Yellow VC

Night and Day was a really fun feature And made my crystal game feel more 'real' to me.
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

*drool's over her kawaiiness x3*
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

Interesting idea, but like most features in GSC, not at all thought out.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Rain the thunder, the bird of thunder: Zapdos!

Proud supporter of AmourShipping

Sylveon Fan!

Emerald Team