Thread: Community POTW #012

Default Community POTW #012

Time for the next Pokémon and we have another Pokémon from Alola, in fact the Guardian of Melemele Island

Tapu Koko is one of the more popular Pokémon in competitive play at the moment and is capable of so much

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/785.shtml

Go nuts

Tapu Koko is one of the most common Pokémon in OU as I often see it

All-out Offense Koko (OU)
    Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Electric Surge
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch/U-turn
    -Dazzling Gleam/U-turn
    -Hidden Power Ice

A pretty standard Koko set, with Thunderbolt being its primary STAB and Koko's main form of attacking, which is powered up further due to Koko being affected by Electric Terrain. Volt Switch, which is also used in conjunction with Electric Terrain, can be used to pivot Koko out from non-Electric immune threats and U-turn can also be used to switch Koko out of Ground types and anything else immune to Electric. HP Ice is Koko's main coverage move and can be used to hit Ground types somewhat hard. Dazzling Gleam is a filler STAB move that can be used on Koko for its Specs set but unfortunately doesn't hit as hard as HP Ice on Garchomp. Choice Specs and maximum EV investment in Sp Attack is used to make Koko hit harder but the Life Orb is an alternative so that Koko could more freely use moves. Timid nature is to make Koko outspeed as many Pokémon as possible in conjunction with max EV investment in Speed.

A mixed set with Brave Bird (Life Orb, no Specs) can be run with Koko but its EV spread must be changed to 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe with Naive Nature so that at least Brave Bird can hit with respectable damage.
    Last edited by Mega Altaria; 12th February 2017 at 1:36 PM.

"The Dragon that is immune to Dragon and the Fairy that is weak to Fairy."
    Sugimori art used; Peace to Dragons and Fairies
    Banner created by me

I like Tapu Koko in doubles.

Tapu Koko @ Terrain Extender / Choice Specs / Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Discharge
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Grass Knot
    -Volt Switch / Thunderbolt

Discharge is your primary attacking move, hitting everything on the field decently hard thanks to Electric Terrain. Pair it up with a partner that likes taking electrical attacks, for instance Electivire, and go nuts. Dazzling Gleam is secondary STAB and also hits both opponents. Grass Knot hits ground types fairly hard, especially heavier ones like Hippowdon. Final slot is a single-target electrical attack. Volt Switch for utility, I think it's the better option, and Thunderbolt for more power. Thunder is also an option if you're also running rain.

You can also pair up Tapu Koko with a Wide Guard user which protects against Discharge and also protects Tapu Koko at the same time from Sludge Wave and/or Earthquake. Alolan Golem for instance gets Wide Guard and as well as Galvanise-boosted moves that benefit from Electric Terrain. Gallade gets Wide Guard and can also deal with most poison types thanks to STAB psychic moves. Unfortunately you can't mega evolve Gallade yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Leaf Blade View Post

Timid Nature
    -Discharge
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Grass Knot

Discharge is your primary attacking move, hitting everything on the field decently hard thanks to Electric Terrain. Pair it up with a partner that likes taking electrical attacks, for instance Electivire, and go nuts. Dazzling Gleam is secondary STAB and also hits both opponents. Grass Knot hits ground types fairly hard, especially heavier ones like Hippowdon. Final slot is a single-target electrical attack. Volt Switch for utility, I think it's the better option, and Thunderbolt for more power. Thunder is also an option if you're also running rain.

You can also pair up Tapu Koko with a Wide Guard user which protects against Discharge and also protects Tapu Koko at the same time from Sludge Wave and/or Earthquake. Alolan Golem for instance gets Wide Guard and as well as Galvanise-boosted moves that benefit from Electric Terrain. Gallade gets Wide Guard and can also deal with most poison types thanks to STAB psychic moves. Unfortunately you can't mega evolve Gallade yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Altaria View Post
    Tapu Koko is one of the most common Pokémon in OU as I often see it

All-out Offense Koko (OU)
    Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch/U-turn
    -Dazzling Gleam/U-turn
    -Hidden Power Ice

A pretty standard Koko set, with Thunderbolt being its primary STAB and Koko's main form of attacking, which is powered up further due to Koko being affected by Electric Terrain. Volt Switch, which is also used in conjunction with Electric Terrain, can be used to pivot Koko out from non-Electric immune threats and U-turn can also be used to switch Koko out of Ground types and anything else immune to Electric. HP Ice is Koko's main coverage move and can be used to hit Ground types somewhat hard. Dazzling Gleam is a filler STAB move that can be used on Koko for its Specs set but unfortunately doesn't hit as hard as HP Ice on Garchomp. Choice Specs and maximum EV investment in Sp Attack is used to make Koko hit harder but the Life Orb is an alternative so that Koko could more freely use moves. Timid nature is to make Koko outspeed as many Pokémon as possible in conjunction with max EV investment in Speed.

A mixed set with Brave Bird (Life Orb, no Specs) can be run with Koko but its EV spread must be changed to 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe with Naive Nature so that at least Brave Bird can hit with respectable damage.
    I don't understand, why do people use this pokemon as a special attacker when it's base attack stat is much higher?
    FC: 3711-9176-7509
    IGN: Creyk

Here's one for VGC that I've found to be a lot of fun.

Z-Mirror Move
    Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly/Naive Nature
    - Mirror Move
    - Brave Bird/Dazzling Gleam
    - Wild Charge
    - Protect

Z-Mirror move is a great trick, it boosts Koko up to+2 and lets it use the Z version of whatever the opponent used. This means it does massive damage to Alolan Marowak and dragons like Salamence when they use ghost or dragon moves.
    Protect is to let it live the first turn so it can mirror a move.
    Wild charge is a standard stab move to deal damage, and at +2 it is phenomenal. It will OHKO bulky muks in electric terrain.
    Brave Bird will OHKO most Bulus and Alolan-Exeggutors as a Z-Move as well as Whimsicott (and the less bulky whimsicotts are sometimes OHKO'd by regular brave bird) so its worth having 2 options for Flyinium Z.

Like most Kokos, this set pairs well with ground types as it struggles against other Tapu Kokos, Torkoal and magnezone. Also trick room is a nightmare for Koko so might want to consider something with taunt if you see a bunch of slow pokemon and a whimsicott in team preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Creyk View Post
    I don't understand, why do people use this pokemon as a special attacker when it's base attack stat is much higher?
    Mostly because it doesn't get any physical fairy STAB. PArtly because discharge is great in doubles.
    Last edited by Aduro; 13th February 2017 at 3:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    Mostly because it doesn't get any physical fairy STAB. PArtly because discharge is great in doubles.
    I really don't understand the logic behind GF's decision of not giving "Play Rough" to the Tapu's (especially in case of Koko & Bulu).

By the way, is "Nature's Madness" not that good of a move for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Leaf Blade View Post

Timid Nature
    -Discharge
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Grass Knot

I think this set is fine for the Battle Tree, but in competitive play, Terrain Extender is pretty worthless with how common the other Tapus are. Thunderbolt should always be your primary attack if you're special, and Protect is 100% necessary on the Life Orb set.

Look at its available movers. On the physical side you have Wild Charge, Brave Bird, U-turn, and uhhhhh Quick Attack? Really not much to choose from, and no fairy STAB. The special attack stat is still decent, and combined with a boosting item (Life Orb, Specs, even a Z move if you want a nuke) and your terrain for electric moves, it still hits really hard. You have more options for electric STAB, and you actually have a fairy move, plus options like HP Ice/Fire/Ground or Grass Knot. I can't speak as much for 6v6 singles, but in VGC/doubles, Intimidate is EXTREMELY common, meaning you often lose out on that higher attack anyway. Physical sets are still good, but there's plenty of reasons to want to go special.

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    Here's one for VGC that I've found to be a lot of fun.

Z-Mirror Move
    Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly/Naive Nature
    - Mirror Move
    - Brave Bird/Dazzling Gleam
    - Wild Charge
    - Protect

Z-Mirror move is a great trick, it boosts Koko up to+2 and lest it use the Z version of whatever the opponent used. This means it does massive damage to Alolan Marowak and dragons like Salamence.
    Protect is to let it live the first turn so it will copy to opponent.
    Wild charge is a standard stab move to deal damage, and at +2 it is phenomenal. It will OHKO bulky muks in electric terrain.
    Brave Bird will OHKO most Bulus and Alolan-Exeggutors as a Z-Move as well as Whimsicott (and the less bulky ones are sometimes OHKO'd by regular brave bird) so its worth having 2 options for Flyinium Z.

Like most Kokos, this set pairs well with ground types as it struggles against other Tapu Kokos, Torkoal and magnezone. Also trick room is a nightmare for Koko so might want to consider something with taunt if you see a bunch of slow pokemon and a whimsicott in team preview.
    I was actually going to suggest this set, but for BSS (not sure how it would fair in 6v6 OU)! I've seen in tried in VGC and it's a little tougher to pull off, but I agree that it's really fun to use. I would suggest Hasty for VGC though if you want Dazzling Gleam so that Porygon 2 will get an attack boost.
    Last edited by EKZ1505; 12th February 2017 at 4:35 PM.
    Trust The Process

FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post18447542) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

Quote Originally Posted by EKZ1505 View Post
    I think this set is fine for the Battle Tree, but in competitive play, Terrain Extender is pretty worthless with how common the other Tapus are. Thunderbolt should always be your primary attack if you're special, and Protect is 100% necessary on the Life Orb set
    I guess that's true. I don't think the AI actually uses the Tapu's or any terrain in the Battle Tree so terrain-focus works very well there. I haven't played much competitive yet due to connection issues at Plaza. I've only successfully managed to complete two battles so far, the rest all ended prematurely (or didn't even manage to reach team preview) due to connections failing, so I can't really judge what's popular at all yet. In my short opponent's list I've seen people use Charmander for instance.

Terrain Wreck
    Tapu Koko@Terrain Extender
    Jolly nature
    Electric Surge
    252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    ~Wild Charge
    ~Brave Bird
    ~U-turn
    ~Roost

First and foremost- yes, I am back to posting in these. Second, yes, I'm doing something for a sublegendary. My long-standing refusal to utilize legendaries, I've rethought it quite extensively as of late, and have decided to relax this personal rule of mine insofar as sublegendaries. Now then. This set makes use of Tapu Koko's formidable Attack and Speed, letting it deal some decent damage. Wild Charge is your STAB move, further fueled by the Electric Terrain it'll be setting up. Brave Bird is extra coverage. Roost lets you heal off the inevitable recoil damage, and U-turn lets you move things on to something else that might be able to take advantage of the Electric Terrain.

Item prolongs the duration of Electric Surge's effects. Ability is the only option thus far, but by far the best one.

Cuckoo For Koko
    Tapu Koko@Life Orb
    Timid nature
    Electric Surge
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Dazzling Gleam
    ~Grass Knot
    ~Volt Switch/U-turn

Tapu Koko also has a respectable Special Attack stat. Not quite as impressive as its Attack, but it does at least have Fairy STAB to work with off this stat, which is... something. Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam are STAB, Grass Knot is coverage, Volt Switch is to get the heck out. U-turn is also an option- not as powerful, but nothing's immune to it.

Item gives some extra needed power, since Tapu Koko's Special Attack is lower than its Attack. Ability needs no explanation.

Other options:
    *Calm Mind and Roost on the special attacking set could have a little merit, perhaps.
    *Maybe something with the Electric Seed and Acrobatics, but in general, Brave Bird is the preferable option.
    *The special attacking set could go with Hidden Power, possibly Ice.

Abilities:
    *[B]Electric Surge/B]: When Tapu Koko enters the battle, it sets up Electric Terrain for five turns (eight if it's holding a Terrain Extender). One of four Abilities that have brought the various Terrains into greater prominence, and easily Koko's best option.
    *Telepathy: Tapu Koko's Hidden Ability. Tapu Koko won't take damage from an ally's attack in a double battle. It's an Ability that has its uses in general, make no mistake, but... yeah, no, stick with Electric Surge. Tapu Koko can't legally have Telepathy at this time, but I don't think any of us actually care about that.

Partners:
    Hope Tapu Koko likes pancakes, because one partner that springs readily to mind is Alolan Raichu- activate that Surge Surfer. Alternatively, virtually anything that could benefit from Electric Terrain's effects works well with this guy.

Counters:
    Steelix can be a pain in the *** for Tapu Koko to deal with unless it's a special attacking variety. And even then, all it'll really have to do against a Steelix is... what, Hidden Power? Grass Knot? On that note, Alolan Dugtrio can be problematic- its defenses aren't top-notch, of course, but Tangling Hair can really throw a Mankey wrench in Tapu Koko's plans, slow it down some for other opponents to more easily pick it off.

Opinion:
    Design-wise, it's probably my favorite tapu. It's really grown on me since its reveal, even before I decided I was fine with using sublegendaries.

Prediction for next week:
    Toxapex

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 6 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 14 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade. Vote Missingno. for new SSB4 fighter!

Fizzy Bubbles info

Are you gonna do the rest of the island guardians within the next few weeks?

Really not a fan of Specs Koko. While it does hit really hard, using a Choiced Electric-type that relies on STAB for its damage output requires godly prediction skills. Honestly an OO at best.

Life Orb is legit but I prefer Zap Plate for Singles. You click Volt Switch/U-turn so much that you rack up residual damage super fast.

Don't run Terrain Extender. Other Tapus are super common in both(?) major formats, so you're just gimping Koko a lot of the time. I also wouldn't run pure physical either because special and mixed have more coverage and your Electric STAB doesn't induce recoil.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

Oh Koko, how commonly you are seen in VGC. Koko's stat's make it seem to be a fat physical attacker, but in VGC it is know for its Electric special attacking moves boosted by Electric Terrain. Its most notable moves are Thunderbolt/Nature Power, Nature's Madness, Dazzling Gleam, Hidden Power Ice or Fire, Discharge, Volt Switch, Grass Knot, Wild Charge, Brave Bird, Sky Drop, Taunt, and Protect. It tends to work best when paired with Choice Specs, Focus Sash, or Life Orb, though we have seen Fairium Z variants, and with a Modest or Timid nature (maybe Naive if you're running mixed, Koko already gives Porygon2 the Download boost in Attack with base 85 Defense and 75 SpDefense). When using it, be wary of Ground types like Mudsdale, Gastrodon, and Garchomp, Poison Types like Nihilego and Muk-A, Tapu Lele and Bulu (especially if they have their Terrains up which they likely will if they aren't Scarfed), Marowak-A, Trick Room, and opposing Tailwind. It's kinda one of those Pokémon that you can make a case for it to be a good partner alongside quite a lot of mons, but two of the most notable are Garchomp which is immune to Discharge and Raichu-A which benefits from Electric Surge to activate Surge Surfer.
    Last edited by ampfire101; 13th February 2017 at 2:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ampfire101 View Post
    Oh Koko, how commonly you are seen in VGC. Koko's stat's make it seem to be a fat physical attacker, but in VGC it is know for its Electric special attacking moves boosted by Electric Terrain. Its most notable moves are Thunderbolt/Nature Power, Nature's Madness, Dazzling Gleam, Hidden Power Ice or Fire, Discharge, Volt Switch, Grass Knot, Wild Charge, Brave Bird, Sky Drop, Taunt, and Protect. It tends to work best when paired with Choice Specs, Focus Sash, or Life Orb, though we have seen Fairium Z variants, and with a Modest or Timid nature (maybe Naive if you're running mixed, Koko already gives Porygon2 the Download boost in Attack with base 85 Defense and 75 SpDefense). When using it, be wary of Ground types like Mudsdale, Gastrodon, and Garchomp, Poison Types like Nihilego and Muk-A, Tapu Lele and Bulu (especially if they have their Terrains up which they likely will if they aren't Scarfed), Marowak-A, Trick Room, and opposing Tailwind. It's kinda one of those Pokémon that you can make a case for it to be a good partner alongside quite a lot of mons, but two of the most notable are Garchomp which is immune to Discharge and Raichu-A which benefits from Electric Surge to activate Surge Surfer.
    Good thoughts, but like I said above, if you want to be mixed and not give P2 the SpA boost, go Hasty. With perfect IVs and no investment in either stat, a Hasty nature gives a defense stat of 94, and a special defense stat of 95, so P2 would get the attack boost. With how common Intimidate is, it isn't difficult to make up for the lower defense stat anyway.
    Trust The Process

FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post18447542) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

Zap Plate or Magnet > Choice Specs

The singles OU set should be special based with Zap Plate or Magnet and LO for options, Magnet/Zap Plate along with the Stab Boost and electric terrian boost makes for a very powerful pivot.

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Volt Switch
    - U-turn

This is the set I use, and overall I think it's the most optimal set.
    161.5 TP 61 KO (TL3)
    28 W, 17 L, 3 D