Thread: Community POTW #016

Default Community POTW #016

Time for the next Pokémon, and we have another classic and often used Pokémon

It's Weavile!

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/461.shtml

Go nuts

Aw sweet, one of my favorites!

Abilities:
    Pressure: Opponents PP usage is increased to 2 while this pokemon is out. Not the best of abilities, but definately more useful than it's other one.
    Hidden Ability:
    Pickpocket: Steals the opponents held item when a physical attack is used. The main problem with this is that it requires weavile to not be holding an item for it to work, so it ends up pretty disappointing.
    My FC is 3136-7747-4882.

Weavile @ Choice Band
    Jolly nature
    252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def
    -Throat Chop
    -Icicle Crash / Ice Punch
    -Poison Jab
    -Fake Out / Pursuit

Basic Choice Band set. Two STAB moves, a coverage move, and a utility move. Throat Chop is your most powerful Dark STAB attack and prevents sound moves like Bug Buzz. Icicle Crash is the preferred Ice STAB for that neat flinching chance and decent power, but Ice Punch has a bit more accuracy. Poison Jab is a good move to counter Tapu Fini if it dares to switch in.

Weavile has other options too, it can also use Ice Shard for priority, Brick Break to hit opposing Weavile or Bisharp and breaking through Reflect or Aurora Veil, or Swords Dance to boost. It gets Knock Off, but that's from ORAS move tutor so it's banned in competitions that require Alola-met pokémon. If you go with Knock Off, it would replace Throat Chop obviously, both because they're both Dark STAB and because they exclude each other. Throat Chop also hits harder against foes with Z crystals or mega stones.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 12th March 2017 at 5:48 PM.

Weavile is one of my fav Pokémon, I love it because of its design, it is very cool looking and as seen in the calendar and in Pokkén Tournament it has a playful side. I wish someone in the main cast caught one but since it was used for evil in the Kalos saga twice, its chances are 0%. *sigh* ;(

Weavile
    -Ice Shard
    -Low Sweep
    -Beat Up
    -Agility

Ice Shard is one of the most powerful STAB moves for Weavile, while Beat Up is not the most powerful move but it is useful against Psychic and Ghost types since it can them 6 six times, as long as you have a full party. Low Sweep is useful to deal with normal and other dark types, while agility is good to increase its speed. Other coverage moves would be Metal Claw to counter Rock and Fairy types, while Shadow Claw is useful to deal with Ghost and Psychic types. Despite Weavile having good attack, sp. attack and excellent speed and can be a dragon slayer, its only flaw is its type combination which makes it an easy target to Fighting, Steel, Rock, Fire and Fairy types if not fast enough.
    Last edited by esquilo09; 13th March 2017 at 12:12 PM.
    My fav Pokémons

I don't recommend Ice Punch because Icicle Crash picks up more KOs and it doesn't make contact. Not to mention Icicle Crash requires breeding, while the Sneasel line requires a move tutor to learn Ice Punch.

Also, Agility isn't good on Weavile because it's already pretty fast. And did you confuse Low Kick with Low Sweep? Because Low Sweep isn't good in competitive battles while Weavile usually has Low Kick.

Anyways, here's the set for doubles.

Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure/Pickpocket
    4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
    Jolly Nature

- Protect
    - Icicle Crash
    - Knock Off/Throat Chop
    - Fake Out/Ice Shard/Poison Jab

Focus Sash allows Weavile to take at least 2 hits before going down, Life Orb is used to boost the power of its move at the cost of some of its health. Its abilities aren't great, but Pressure is more preferred because it works with Protect.

Icicle Crash is the best Ice-type physical attack in the game even with its relatively low accuracy. Knock Off removes most of the held item while dishing out a sizable damage to the target. Only use Throat Chop if you don't have access to Knock Off (then again, there's Pokemon Showdown! and Pokemon Bank). Fake Out is very useful for effectively giving allies a free turn, though it does clash with Life Orb. Ice Shard allows Weavile to KO its weaken target before they can use their very own priority. While Poison Jab doesn't have priority, it does deal a ton of damage to Tapu Lele and other Fairy-type Pokemon.

For its other options, there's Low Kick to deal with weaken Steel-type Pokemon and Feint that breaks protection moves.
    Last edited by HeatEdgeSword; 13th March 2017 at 9:48 AM.
    AKA flamemario12 though I rarely used that dumb name since 2013
    Don't expect me to do all that much here.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKyurem3DS View Post
    Aw sweet, one of my favorites!

Abilities:
    Pressure: Opponents PP usage is increased to 2 while this pokemon is out. Not the best of abilities, but definately more useful than it's other one.
    Hidden Ability:
    Pickpocket: Steals the opponents held item when a physical attack is used. The main problem with this is that it requires weavile to not be holding an item for it to work, so it ends up pretty disappointing.
    Actually, pickpocket can see some use if you run a focus sash since the sash is gone after one use so you can hold a item again. And Weaville needs a sash bad since it's typing is horrible defensively and it has bad bulk too.
    My alpha sapphire in game name is kisame. My pokemon moon in game name is Matthew.

3DS FC: 1564 3843 9409 (If you add me let me know so I can add you.)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatEdgeSword View Post
    I don't recommend Ice Punch because Icicle Crash picks up more KOs and it doesn't make contact. Not to mention Icicle Crash requires breeding, while the Sneasel line requires a move tutor to learn Ice Punch.
    Ice Punch is also an Egg move for Sneasel, it doesn't need a move tutor for it. It can just breed for it through Smeargle or Buneary, with Buneary getting it by breeding with Hitmonchan or Medicham.

Weavile can learn Crush Claw an egg move which can lower the opponent's defense. Another option that I would recommend is Spite another egg move, which can lower the last used move's pp to 4 which combined with Pressure makes 6.
    Last edited by esquilo09; 13th March 2017 at 11:30 PM.
    My fav Pokémons

Quote Originally Posted by esquilo09 View Post
    Weavile can learn Crush Claw an egg move which can lower the opponent's defense. Another option that I would recommend is Spite another egg move, which can lower the last used move's pp to 4 which combined with Pressure makes 6.
    Crush Claw hits very little, if anything, and Weavile can't really take advantage of Defense drops since it needs its targets taken out ASAP.

Spite is a bad move and a waste of a moveslot. Weavile needs to be dealing damage because it's a glass cannon, and doesn't have the luxury of running a move like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndrew24
    spoiler ansem isnt ansem but is actually pretending to be ansem as riku inside ansem pretending to be ansem

Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    Crush Claw hits very little, if anything, and Weavile can't really take advantage of Defense drops since it needs its targets taken out ASAP.

Spite is a bad move and a waste of a moveslot. Weavile needs to be dealing damage because it's a glass cannon, and doesn't have the luxury of running a move like that.
    Oh ok, sorry. So how about Metal Claw and Blizzard? Metal Claw is good to counter Fairy and Rock type while Blizzard is also a powerful STAB it also may freeze the opponent.
    Last edited by esquilo09; 14th March 2017 at 2:10 AM.
    My fav Pokémons

Quote Originally Posted by esquilo09 View Post
    Oh ok, sorry. So how about Metal Claw and Blizzard? Metal Claw is good to counter Fairy and Rock type while Blizzard is also a powerful STAB it also may freeze the opponent.
    If you're looking to hit fairys go ahead and just run standard Poison Jab.
    Speakin of which, i've had fair success with the Poisinium-Z Poison Jab as a lure. After a bit of prior damage on the switch, Weavile can dispatch 248 HP / 192 Def Fini a good chunk of the time with Acid Downpour. If you REALLY want to get rid of Fini quickly, try it! It bluffs Band. ^^ I do end up missing the LO boost sometimes though hehe.

Blizzard is an absolute waste as either Ice Punch/Crash'll probably do more due to Weavs poor Sp.Atk. If the freeze chance is truly a big part of your choice Ice Punch is there. Though Crashs' flinch chance tends to happen a lot more and does basically the same thing in Weaviles case. Incapacitates the opponent so Weavile can strike again.

^ Credits to Conquer Phoenix

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

Weavile has lost so much of its glory with the loss of Knock Off in Sun and Moon. It's not a bad Pokémon in VGC, but there are better options nowadays, and Ninetales-A and Muk-A serve as more common and useful Ice and Dark types respectively. His saving grace in VGC17 is access to Feint and Fake Out, and I'd say the best chance you may have at pulling off an Icium Z this gen is on Weavile. However, having to resort to Throat Chop as physical Dark STAB can get to be annoying. It can stop Perish Song, though. What stops Weavile tends to be very common in the current meta. Scarf Lele, Hariyama, burns, Steel-types like Metagross, Kartana, Celesteela, and Magnezone, Tapu Fini, and Arcanine (THE WHOLE AFK CORE CAN RELIABLY TAKE IT OUT). What can Weavile take out? Goodra, non Scarf Garchomp, Tapu Bulu, OranguruYou really need Sash or LO when using this. Just some last minute food for thought, it can be used. But oh is it difficult, best of luck Trainers!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    If you're looking to hit fairys go ahead and just run standard Poison Jab.
    Speakin of which, i've had fair success with the Poisinium-Z Poison Jab as a lure. After a bit of prior damage on the switch, Weavile can dispatch 248 HP / 192 Def Fini a good chunk of the time with Acid Downpour. If you REALLY want to get rid of Fini quickly, try it! It bluffs Band. ^^ I do end up missing the LO boost sometimes though hehe.

Blizzard is an absolute waste as either Ice Punch/Crash'll probably do more due to Weavs poor Sp.Atk. If the freeze chance is truly a big part of your choice Ice Punch is there. Though Crashs' flinch chance tends to happen a lot more and does basically the same thing in Weaviles case. Incapacitates the opponent so Weavile can strike again.
    Oh ok, gonna try to remember that. I just became super duper happy when Weavile became a playeable character in Pokkén Tournament. So you just need Ice Crash/Punch, Poison Jab, Low Kick and Throat Chop and the holding item should be either Focus Sash, Choice Band or Life Orb and it needs to have the Jolly nature.
    My fav Pokémons