Thread: Community POTW #022

Default Community POTW #022

Time for the next Pokémon and this week we have a classic!

Whimsicott is an incredibly useful and versatile Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/547.shtml

Go nuts

Whaling on Whimsicott

Whimsicott, the first Prankster user. That ability alone redefined what it meant to be an "Annoyer" Prankster in addition to Whimisicott's blisteringly high speed and a movepool that could almost abuse it to its greatest extent (really, if Whimisicott got Sleep Powder or Spore, it would be in a higher tier). Priority Stun Spore and Tailwind puts an end to nearly all speed shenanigans. Priority SubSeed keeps Whimisicott around and that plus Toxic give it a method to deal with Tanks. Priority Light Screen and Cotton Guard give the Cotton Spore a semblance of bulk. Priority Sunny Day gives you another reliable Sun Setter... The list goes on.

So how to stop Whimsicott. Taunt. Taunt stops Whimsicotts cold (as it seals off everything buffed by prankster). Dark types are also immune to Prankster boosted moves, but must be wary of Whimsicott's fairy typing, as even a base 77 SATK begins to sting if you are being struck for super effective. The Houndoom, and Pawniard lines are prime examples, being immune to Prankster, resist everything (barring Hurricane for Houndoom) that Whimsicott can throw at them. Weavile is another serious issue for Whimsicott. Possessing a naturally higher base speed, priority in Ice Shard (so Tailwind doesn't work) and a Dark typing to shutdown prankster shenanigans, Whimsicott really needs to catch Weavile on the switch in with Moonblast. It should be noted that Prankster moves targeting opponents fail on dark types. Self targeting moves (like Tailwind, Cotton Spore, Light Screen) are not affected and are still buffed like normal.

Really though, KOing Whimsicott isn't difficult. A quad weakness to Poison, and fragile defenses plus lackluster offenses real means that Prankster is all it has. Once that's gone, Whimsicott is dead weight.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 25th April 2017 at 12:08 AM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

Pain is getting flinched 3 times in a row by an Aerodactyl.

"Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals at any rate." -Roy Greenhilt

FC: 5043-1767-3387

Ah yes, I have used Whimsicott in VGC this year and it has done me some success. The interesting thing about it is that you don't necessarily need to run Prankster and Focus Sash. While Prankster is more favorable, Infiltrator can be used if you don't want Tapu Lele to mess with your priority status moves and to better hit Sub Kartana with Foul Play and so Dark types aren't immune to it or Chlorophyll to screw with Lilligant + Torkoal leads, and Whimsicott is already pretty fast. Sash is the most favorable item, but you can also use Psychic or Misty Seed to boost defense which allows Whimsicott to live Ninetales-A's Blizzard plus Hail damage. As for favorable moves, Tailwind is pretty mandatory, Endeavor which works well with a seed or sash, Dazzling Gleam/Foul Play/Moonblast to break sashes/maim physical attackers/provide decent STAB with juicy chance to reduce target's SpA, and Fake Tears to help your special attackers, like Tapus Koko and Lele, clean opponents up. Other nice options include Safeguard (if you don't have Tapu Fini), Taunt, Swagger (works well on your physical attackers if you DO have Fini), U-Turn, Z-Nature Power, Encore, Tickle, Grass Whistle, Memento, Helping Hand, Sunny Day, and Grass Knot (for Gigalith). I personally like to invest max speed, and enough EVs to maximize your defenses while making SpD one point more than Def. Timid nature makes most sense. I don't suggest investing in HP since you wanna reduce it as much as possible.

Pranks For Nothing
    Whimsicott@Leftovers
    Bold nature
    Prankster
    252 HP/252 Defense/4 Speed
    ~Taunt
    ~Toxic/Giga Drain
    ~Leech Seed
    ~Substitute

Whimsicott is supremely irritating. High Speed, bunch of status moves that it gets priority on, and giving it Fairy as a secondary type lets it switch in on Dragon moves fearlessly. Taunt is to forestall any attempt to stop it with the same move. Toxic and Leech Seed are for racking up the damage. Substitute gives it something to hide behind while Leech Seed heals it. Giga Drain is an option over Toxic if you want an attacking move.

Item heals Whimsicott. Ability gives priority to its status moves, making it even more of an irritation.

Other options:
    *Priority Tailwind? Hell to the yes!
    *Priority Swagger? See previous answer!
    *Need Whimsicott to dish out the damage? It's got Giga Drain, it's got Moonblast, it's got Shadow Ball, it's got Hurricane. It's also got Growth, power up that iffy Special Attack.
    *There's also U-turn. That's a thing.
    *Priority Switcheroo. Also a thing. Slap some Specs or a Scarf on Whimsicott and you can have a little fun.
    *There's also Nature Power. Essentially Tri Attack with priority (or Energy Ball/Moonblast/Thunderbolt/Psychic depending on the terrain). Something to think about.

Abilities:
    *Prankster: Whimsicott's claim to fame right here. Whimsicott's status moves gain +1 priority, but become ineffective against Dark-types. An absolute must for your standard Whimsicott.
    *Infiltrator: Whimsicott's attacks bypass the effects of Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, Mist, Substitute, and Aurora Veil. A handy Ability, especially if you want to give a more offensively oriented moveset, but for the more annoying standard Whimsicott, stick with Prankster.
    *Chlorophyll: Whimsicott's Hidden Ability. Whimsicott's Speed is doubled in sunlight. Honestly, the least tempting of any of Whimsicott's Abilities, as it's already blindingly fast as it is. Increasing priority is one thing- that's just flat-out good any way you slice it- but this... nah.

Partners:
    Something to deal with Dark-types would be ideal if you're not packing Moonblast, because they counter Prankster Whimsicott hard this time around- Prankster-affected moves don't work on Dark-types. Also, pick a tapu- whether Koko, Bulu, or Fini, it's gotta be something that can combat Tapu Lele, because Whimsicott does not want Psychic Terrain to be present at all.

Counters:
    Tapu Lele can screw Whimsicott over with Psychic Surge, though should beware of Shadow Ball. Similarly, Bruxish and Tsareena have the potential to give Whimsicott trouble, the former not so much if you're packing Giga Drain. Also, Salazzle. It gets Taunt, Oblivious means it's immune to same, it quad-resists both of Whimsicott's STABs, and can hit Whimsicott for super effective damage several different ways, including that nasty 4x weakness to Poison.

Opinion:
    Whimsicott's pretty cool. Very annoying if you're not prepared to deal with it.

Prediction for next week:
    Regirock.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 6 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 13 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade. Vote Missingno. for new SSB4 fighter!

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by ampfire101 View Post
    Ah yes, I have used Whimsicott in VGC this year and it has done me some success. The interesting thing about it is that you don't necessarily need to run Prankster and Focus Sash. While Prankster is more favorable, Infiltrator can be used if you don't want Tapu Lele to mess with your priority status moves and to better hit Sub Kartana with Foul Play and so Dark types aren't immune to it or Chlorophyll to screw with Lilligant + Torkoal leads, and Whimsicott is already pretty fast. Sash is the most favorable item, but you can also use Psychic or Misty Seed to boost defense which allows Whimsicott to live Ninetales-A's Blizzard plus Hail damage. As for favorable moves, Tailwind is pretty mandatory, Endeavor which works well with a seed or sash, Dazzling Gleam/Foul Play/Moonblast to break sashes/maim physical attackers/provide decent STAB with juicy chance to reduce target's SpA, and Fake Tears to help your special attackers, like Tapus Koko and Lele, clean opponents up. Other nice options include Safeguard (if you don't have Tapu Fini), Taunt, Swagger (works well on your physical attackers if you DO have Fini), U-Turn, Z-Nature Power, Encore, Tickle, Grass Whistle, Memento, Helping Hand, Sunny Day, and Grass Knot (for Gigalith). I personally like to invest max speed, and enough EVs to maximize your defenses while making SpD one point more than Def. Timid nature makes most sense. I don't suggest investing in HP since you wanna reduce it as much as possible.
    You definitely have more experience that I do with this thing this year (tho I don't think Infiltrator is a thing), but how would Chlorophyll specifically help against Lilligant-Torkoal that Prankster does not already do? Endeavor once you've been brought down to your Sash seems like the only useful move, since Moonblast is a 3HKO at best on even non-bulky Lilligant (and even that can be boosted by Prankster depending on your team), unless you're heavily investing in special attack.

The Seed ideas are cool too, but really only if your Sash is taken up elsewhere on a Pokemon that needs it more. Unless you have zero bulk, you're basically surviving anyway thanks to spread damage:

(generic spread)
    252 SpA Ninetales-Alola Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 132-156 (79 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
    (min HP, SpDef just higher than Def like you mentioned)
    252 SpA Ninetales-Alola Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 172 SpD Whimsicott: 108-128 (79.4 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
    Last edited by EKZ1505; 24th April 2017 at 8:44 PM.
    FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post18385672) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!

It sucks when Whimsicott cannot learn Sleep Powder and especially spore! Imagine running this set:

Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Prankster
    Modest (252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 SpDef)
    - Spore/Sleep Powder
    - Growth
    - Giga Drain
    - Hurricane/Shadow Ball/Psychic/HP Ground

There's grasswhistle but it's unrealiable

Of course it doesn't have that. Priority sleep induction at that accuracy would be OP as hell, especially with Substitute as a buffer for when the opponent wakes up.

Take Ashton Cox's team for example, lots of lilligant torkoal teams have tapu lele on them, basically chlorophyll is an option that works against lilligant torkoal teams but also covers tapu lele

It gets leech seed, and tailwind, making it excellent support, along with encore and substitute, to stall.

Quote Originally Posted by ampfire101 View Post
    Take Ashton Cox's team for example, lots of lilligant torkoal teams have tapu lele on them, basically chlorophyll is an option that works against lilligant torkoal teams but also covers tapu lele
    To what end though? That's what I'm trying to see (again, haven't used it this year, and every time I face it they're Prankster). I still want to include it since there's a small percentage of them out there according to usage stats, but just seems really niche, and kind of defeats the purpose of using Whimsicott. You can still use Tailwind even in Psychic Terrain, and since so many are the Nature Power variant, they often carry other Tapus other than Lele (especially Fini) in the back for the priority Nature Powers anyway (among other things).

I'm trying to think of specific examples you would use Taunt or Encore. Like After You+Eruption won't happen if they had to switch their Lele in for Torkoal anyway. They could try to Sleep Powder your teammate I suppose, but Whimsicott is immune, and no matter what you can Encore them into, they can still use their Z move (which many Lilligant have).

Just doesn't seem worth it when every other time you don't encounter Torkoal-Lilligant-Lele teams, your Whimsicott will be outsped by other Tailwind users like Aerodactyl, or be OHKO'd by faster Pokemon before you can get up Tailwind at all...
    FC: 2680-9085-8247
    IGN: Andy
    PotW VGC Writer

VM/PM me if you're interested in some VGC 2017 battles!!
    Also check out my trade post (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post18385672) for my list of hundreds of competitive shinies, events, and competitive legendaries up for trade!