Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold and Silver on 3DS VC - Discussion

I'm hyped for this too!
    I can finally play it without being sad about the internal battery dying.

2 fics I'm proud of: Carry On, Blissey
    & May's Justice
    My book Drinking Poetry is availible on Amazon and Lulu

Here's the next question for this thread. Are you planning to get Gold, Silver, or both?

Probably both for me. I got RBY, no reason not to get the whole collection. Just wish we were getting Crystal as well.

Adventure started 11/18/16
    First Hall of Fame entry 11/27/16
    Alola Pokédex: 301/301 - completed 12/13/16
    Alola Living Pokédex completed 12/22/16
    Current hunt:

All, yes, both. & Crystal when they figure it out.
    Living Bank/Dex complete.

Campions beaten: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Kalos, and Alola.

Shiny Collection: ,654,694,716,717,769

I'm going to get both Gold & Silver because I always get both versions. I mentioned above that Gold will be my main version, so Silver will be used for repeat playthroughs of the story.

Also, I'll probably end up buying Silver on my other 3DS, too, for trading purposes (did that with Red previously).
    >>// \\<<

Silver. Played that version when I was young.

Quote Originally Posted by Genos View Post
    Silver. Played that version when I was young.
    I had Silver originally when I was younger (not young ). So I'll probably get Gold to start with on my new 3DS, and Silver eventually on my old 3DS XL. And then hopefully Crystal when they bring out that one later.
    F - is the Fire that rains from the skies
    U - for Uranium, Bomb!
    N - is for No Survivors...

3DS friend code 2552 2930 8097
    Secret Base profile: http://mini-info.net/galleries/misc/...SecretBase.png

Praying they don't change the TM moves. My dream of finally having an Espeon with Zap Cannon will be a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by MerBoy13 View Post
    Praying they don't change the TM moves. My dream of finally having an Espeon with Zap Cannon will be a reality.
    They won't. RBY VC has the original TM list and I transferred a Snorlax with Mega Kick and a Pikachu with Pay Day to my Moon version. I plan on getting both Gold and Silver and putting one each in my two 3DS systems to get the trade evolutions and use the Time Capsule. If Crystal is also released then I'm putting it with one of the other games on my New 3DS.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

I might get Gold. :3

I plan on using chikorita again. Great memories of my crystal one^^
    I'm a girl lol
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.
    I have autism and try to keep an open mind about things. My life can get weird.

I made this blingee of one of the most awesome pokemon EVER :3

I'm torn with this news. I recently went through my Pokemon collection and realised I have a lot more than I thought. I have:
    * Generation 1: Pokemon Red (GB)
    * Generation 3: Pokemon Sapphire (GBA), Pokemon FireRed (GBA)
    * Generation 4: Pokemon Platinum (DS)
    * Generation 5: Pokemon Black (DS)

Now I have a DS so I can still play my GBA games, and once I get a 3DS I'll be able to bring my Pokemon from Generation 3 up to the latest Generation. Having never (legitimately) played Pokemon Gold/Silver, I'm torn between getting SoulSilver or Virtual Console Silver. I can get it for $45 USD with original box and booklet. Or I would expect it to be priced the same as Pokemon Red and get a virtual copy for $10 USD.

What do people think? Go full retro? Or get the physical game? (Not too fussed on price for either option). And for those who say both, I'm really not inclined to do that. Although I could be persuaded to go Soulsilver and Virtual Crystal if there are sufficient differnces between the two (Pokemon Yellow was quite different from Pokemon Red/Blue so I'm inclined to get that on Virtual Console).
    Pokemon FireRed Team: Blastoise, Parasect, Graveller, Pidgeot, Arbok, Primeape
    Pokemon Black Team: Embroar, Krookodile, Swanna, Beheeyem, Vanilluxe, Magnezone
    Pokemon Sapphire Team (Current): Torchic, Poochenya, Lotad, Ralts, Nincada, Shroomish

As there is no Virtual Console release for Crystal (yet? at all?), you can check that option off your list.

Ultimately it's up to you - if you want an experience that's more fully realized and closer to the current standard, get Soul Silver. If you want to party like it's 1999, for better (nostalgia) and for worse (limitations), buy the Virtual Console release.

For my money, if you are dead set on only playing one, I think Soul Silver is objectively the better game, in part for its ability to take many things Generation II tried to do but could not, for one reason or another, and realize them fully and completely. The only tangible advantage that the Virtual Console releases can claim are single-system transfers ahead via Bank, though obviously the nostalgia factor, for whatever it's worth to you, falls beyond a tangible advantage.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    I think Soul Silver is objectively the better game, in part for its ability to take many things Generation II tried to do but could not, for one reason or another, and realize them fully and completely.
    Like?

Also, based on RBY, I'm hopeful that Crystal will get released and it's simply been left off because it had some extra features they need time to code for the 3DS.
    Pokemon Sapphire Team (Current): Torchic, Poochenya, Lotad, Ralts, Nincada, Shroomish

Among other things, Heart Gold/Soul Silver's Kanto is actually closer to a full region and not made to feel like a husk limited by cartridge size, as Gold/Silver's Kanto was in so many areas.

-----
    Words to|live by

I am so freaking excited for this game, finally I can play it on a console again instead of on my phone. Its just not the same. I'm also excited because this means in a few years we might get RSE on virtual console too!!

Among other things, Heart Gold/Soul Silver's Kanto is actually closer to a full region and not made to feel like a husk limited by cartridge size, as Gold/Silver's Kanto was in so many areas.
    Also, it's better to look up the full list of differences between GSC and HGSS, because it is QUITE a list of differences.
    Full shiny list: x2 x2 ;714; ;778; -Alola x3

3 shiny hunted, 24 happened naturally (Current shiny luck: pls stop)

Game OTP: FerrisWheelShipping
    Anime OTP: RocketShipping
    Manga OTP: ChoosenShipping

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystLeslie View Post
    Also, it's better to look up the full list of differences between GSC and HGSS, because it is QUITE a list of differences.
    That is a splendid idea.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...2C_and_Crystal

-----
    Words to|live by

Well that's pretty much closed it up. So for those who will be getting it: Why? Is it just for a chance for the retrographics and sound?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    Well that's pretty much closed it up. So for those who will be getting it: Why? Is it just for a chance for the retrographics and sound?
    I kinda had a similar thought once, tbh. I grew up with Gen 6, played most of the games, and currently have never played Gens 2 or 3, but played the remakes and enjoyed those a lot. It made me wonder if the original games were worth going back to.

I eventually decided, "why not?" Johto in its purest form, with limitations and unrefined mechanics. It almost sounds like a self-imposed challenge, to survive with limits, but it's an actual game. Also, if migrating pokemon from Gen 2 to USUM is anything like Gen 1 to SM, I'll be more careful with how I'll raise my pokemon, and decide on which nature I wanna give my pokemon before migrating them. I wonder if they'll keep actual pokeballs this time...

All right, next question. What do you think the reason is for there being no Crystal yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Power View Post
    All right, next question. What do you think the reason is for there being no Crystal yet?
    1- GF & Nintendo are afraid of the money they'd make
    2- the illuminati keeps us down
    3- there's some weird wireless code in Crystal that needs attention. It's a more complicated port.
    4- GF lost the original code & cant do the port
    5- none of the above
    Last edited by Vroomer; Yesterday at 3:59 AM. Reason: Typo
    Living Bank/Dex complete.

Campions beaten: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Kalos, and Alola.

Shiny Collection: ,654,694,716,717,769

I'm going to assume nos. 1, 2, 4 and 5 are the reason and call the case closed.

-----
    Words to|live by

I don't feel like repeating myself as to why Crystal's omitted, so I'll just leave this here.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystLeslie View Post
    I don't feel like repeating myself as to why Crystal's omitted, so I'll just leave this here.
    The two popular theories is that either it was thought of as the definitive version (even more so than Yellow) and they delayed the release, or that they wanted to fix the mobile features for the Japanese version.
    Last edited by Auraninja; Today at 1:55 AM. Reason: more explanation and error correcting

Quote Originally Posted by Google translated Bulbasaur entry
    A man like a cuckoo in the stomach is stubborn with the body Some things are going on.

If they release Crystal later, at least it will give me time to ready my Eevee-rific team for Crystal. Start with Chikorita, add Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon, then 2 more plain old Eevees to groom for Espeon and Umbreon.

Although, come to think of it, what we could really use is an updated Poke Transporter app that lets us rearrange and transfer items & pokemon within and between cartridges, like the Pokemon Lab in Pokemon Stadium 2.
    Last edited by Dr. Eeviil; Today at 2:01 AM.
    F - is the Fire that rains from the skies
    U - for Uranium, Bomb!
    N - is for No Survivors...

3DS friend code 2552 2930 8097
    Secret Base profile: http://mini-info.net/galleries/misc/...SecretBase.png

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12