Thread: Root Fossil or Claw Fossil?

Default Root Fossil or Claw Fossil?

In the desert at Route 111 in R/S/E, you'll find two fossils in the sand: The Claw Fossil and the Root Fossil. Which fossil do you remember picking up? Which Hoenn fossil Pokemon did you prefer? Please explain your choice(s) a little.

I loved Anorith's design (though I wish it had been a Water-type), so I always chose the Claw Fossil and got the Root Fossil via trade.

Back then... I always chose the Claw Fossil almost for the exact reason I chose the Dome Fossil in Pokemon Blue and Yellow... because the Pokemon at the end looked like a badass and back then I thought Cradilly and Omastar looked nowhere near as cool, nowadays I realise how dumb I was back then because both of them are awesome. Armaldo is still my favourite primarily because his design is awesome and he has access to a lot of moves that can do a lot of Heavy Lifting in Hoenn... also... Mystery Dungeon he was pretty awesome.
    Shiny's Obtained

Pokemon Silver
    Pokemon Leaf Green:
    Pokemon Platinum
    Pokemon Heartgold

Escaped Shiny's
    Pokemon Black
    Pokemon Y

armaldo for me, since it has a great attack stat, has a neat design, and i love bug types. (even though bug type doesn't have any good moves besides fury cutter i suppose...)

On Ruby, I am pretty sure I picked the Root Fossil (I know I have a Cradily with that game's OT, and I don't think it came from an egg). The reason? I don't know...maybe it was the first one I clicked on lol. I knew absolutely nothing about the Hoenn fossil Pokemon when I found the fossils (the Steven fight was the first time I'd even heard of Cradily/Armaldo), so I had to pick blindly.

On my other games, I can't remember what I picked. Well, I got both during my Emerald playthroughs of course, but I don't know which one I got at the Mirage Tower vs the Desert Underpass.

It's hard to pick which line I like more. I'd say that I prefer using Armaldo in battle - I really liked using it on a Sapphire team once and would consider using it again. But I think I prefer the design of the Lileep/Cradily family.
    >>// \\<<

I usually pick the Root fossil for Lileep/Cradily's unique typing.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

When I first played I preferred claw fossil because it sounded cooler. Nowadays I guess root is preferable in-game because cradily is using for chain fishing. Although anorith is a fantastic rapid spinner in little cup.

I think I usually picked the Claw Fossil. Mostly because I tended to go with Treecko for my starter and didn't really need another grass type, but also because for some reason when I first played through Sapphire I thought Armaldo was a partial water type instead of a partial bug. (I think it was the blue coloring and Anorith's learning water gun that threw me.)

The Root fossil because of lileep/cradily design and typing and it useful in battle.

I can't remember which fossil I picked, and on which game. I must have gotten both in Emerald, and I'm quite sure I must have picked both of them in the R/S days since I completed my Pokedex and had to get Fossils for that. I might have traded over one of the Pokemon from a friend's game, but I doubt it.

As for which one I prefer, I don't really know. I never thought much about them when I played R/S, and I'm not sure now either. Armaldo is kinda cool but I have never used it much. It has a cool type combination, but it is rather slow. Cradily on the other hand is the only Pokemon I have a love-hate relation towards. Two times, in different Battle facilities in different generations, I have been up against Cradily in extreme stall battles. The first time was in the Battle Tower on Diamond, the second time in the Battle Maison on X. It happened during Double battles both times. This has made me very careful every time I face a Cradily in a Battle facility if I can't defeat it with ease. I also tried using a Cradily myself on my post-game team for Black 2 (currently in my signature!) but it didn't really change my opinion on it. Anyway, after writing all of that, I think I prefer Cradily over Armaldo, for the reasons described above. That said, I never used it in Gen 3 other than evolving my Lileep for Pokedex purposes.
    September Blue, Thy sorrows be forgotten
    October Auburn, Let this season pass
    November Gray, Restore with thy rain
    December White, Thy beauty ever last

On Ruby (the original), from what I remember, I chose the Root Fossil, thus getting Lileep. On Omega Ruby I selected the Claw Fossil for Anorith, but this was actually a mistake as I wanted to follow my choice in the original version. Luckily, I traded for a Lileep, and I now have both of the Hoenn Fossil Pokémon in my Pokédex. I might evolve them both at some point if I ever re-visit OR, though I'm mostly concentrating on filling the Alola Dex on Sun at the moment.
    I love Canada now and forever.

Sun Team:

Planned Ultra Sun Team:

I usually picked the Root fossil cuz I like Lileep more than I like Anorith in general ha ha. I wish we could've picked up both fossils in the desert in R/S however, although thankfully Emerald rectified that issue with the Desert Underpass location.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    I usually picked the Root fossil cuz I like Lileep more than I like Anorith in general ha ha. I wish we could've picked up both fossils in the desert in R/S however, although thankfully Emerald rectified that issue with the Desert Underpass location.
    I prefer Lileep over Anorith too. I think Lileep has more resistances than Anorith does, including to Fire, thanks to her half-Rock typing (which is good against Fire).

Sun Team:

Planned Ultra Sun Team:

I always went for the Claw fossil since I prefer Armaldo. I didn't liked Lileep or Cradily at all, but I did like how Gen 3 reintroduced fossils again after Gen 2 skipped them.

I picked Claw Fossil, because I prefer Armaldo over Cradily. I find it's design cooler.
    Claimed:
    Pokemon Omega Ruby team:
    Pokemon Moon team:

I usually pick Claw Fossil, since Anorith appears to be a bit easier to raise than Lileep, although I only evolved it to complete the Pokedex in Generation III.

I checked which fossils I picked on some of my other games (thank you, recent happenings threads):
    -On my most recent Sapphire playthrough, I picked the Root Fossil
    -On my most recent Emerald playthrough, I picked the Root Fossil at the Mirage Tower (so it was my #1 choice)

I'm surprised I've favoured the Root Fossil recently. I honestly thought I picked the Claw Fossil last time on Sapphire.
    My reasoning might have been the fact that in addition to preferring Lileep/Cradily's designs, I really like their Rock/Grass typing (partly because of how it confused me a lot when I was younger - I had NO IDEA what type Cradily was at first, and then I couldn't remember what it was weak to for quite a while).
    >>// \\<<

MegaButterfree is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

I really like the bug type as well as Anorith & Armaldo's designs, so Claw for me. I still do like Lileep & Cradily though.

The claw fossil since I find Armaldo to be cooler than Cradily.

Claw Fossil since Anorith evolves into Armaldo which as we know is the strongest Hoenn fossil Pokemon.

ROOT OR YOU GET THE BOOT

/caps

Where competitive things happen~

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet
    art credits to American-Pi

While most players of R/S/E seem to have preferred Anopth (Anorith), I preferred Lilyla (Lileep), so naturally the Root Fossil was my favorite. I didn't like that we could only attain one of each Fossil in Ruby and Sapphire, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonhart View Post
    While most players of R/S/E seem to have preferred Anopth (Anorith), I preferred Lilyla (Lileep), so naturally the Root Fossil was my favorite. I didn't like that we could only attain one of each Fossil in Ruby and Sapphire, however.
    In Emerald you could get the Fossil you didn't choose after you defeated the Champion, however. It's really late in the game though, I think after you defeat Steven in that cave near Dewford Town.

Sun Team:

Planned Ultra Sun Team:

Cradily, because she digs hers roots deep into the ground, can recover, kind of like Synthia's Milotic using aqua ring, ingrain. And being Meganium like, with those pink neck feathers makes things more pleasant and sweet.

Armaldo is just kind of like a soldier, a warrior, the strong and silent type, very reliable yes, but not too exciting.
    All fear the raging Typhlosion... ROAR - unleashed from the deepest depths of chaos and the ultimate sea of freedom, a time of untold legends and deep labyrinths of Frenzy and Lightning, the split from peace and the sanctuary of fulfillment reveal this one divine wish... THE LIGHTNING!!!
    Will we make it through victory road? If so, then our last task towards freedom would be to checkmate the dark-sided King at the Game's highest stage for the win! Happiness isn't perfect until it's shared, so let love lay the foundation and point the way!