Thread: Community POTW #046

Default Community POTW #046

Time for the next Pokémon and this week we have another beloved Pokémon, albeit one that is ignored greatly

It's Flygon!

https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/330.shtml

Go nuts

Ahhh, Flygon. The one mega that everyone wanted since ORAS. But without one, where does Flygon stand? Well...

Positives:
    +100 base Attack and Speed is passable at best
    + A good movepool with moves such as Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Superpower, Fire Punch and U-Turn
    + A Pretty good Ability
    + A Pretty good offensive and defensive typing
    Negatives:
    - 100 Base Speed while good, fails to outspee a lot of Pokemon above it
    - 80/80/80 aren't the best defenses in the world
    - 80 Sp Attack isn't much despite getting a few special moves
    - Flygon is mainly outclassed by Garchomp or Zygarde in almost everything
    - Why no mega?

Abilities: Levitate: A good ability that almost any Pokemon enjoys having. It's also Flygon's only ability so it doesn't have much other choices.

Counters: Alolan Ninetales is possibly the best Flygon counter out there, only being weak to the rare Fire Punch and can OHKO backk with Ice STABS, Choice Scarf Vanilluxe does a similar job as well, and can take a Fire Punch better than Ninetales-A. Bulky Waters that aren't weak to Dragon or Ground can deal severe damage with their moves or just OHKO altogether if they carry ice beam and finally, faster threats such as Mega Salamence or Garchomp can wipe the floor of Flygon.

Aah Flygon, how far you have risen from the lowly Trapinch I caught while grinding for Norman... wait what? Trapinch has the same attack as Flygon? Dear Arceus, I feel bad for little cup. Anyways the main thing that separates Flygon from the rest of the pack of Ground Dragons is its expansive movepool. Few dragons can claim to have as wide of range moves as Flygon, giving it a degree of unpredictablility. However, ever other dragon seems to smoke Flygon's average stats into dust. A jack of all trades, but a king of none Flygon will probably continue to peddle the lower tiers, as a varied and potent threat.

A Dragon by Choice
    Flygon
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: Choice Band
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Stone Edge/Fire Blast
    -U-Turn
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) or Jolly (+SPD, -SATK)
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 HP

While grossly outclassed by other dragons, Banded Flygon packs a bit of a punch. Earthquake is your primary STAB and is fantastic as always. Dragon Claw is secondary stab and has good coverage, but lacks a bit in power. Outrage patches the power issue, but makes you setup fodder to fairies [and requires Pokébank]. Stone Edge pairs well with Earthquake and allows you to catch Ice types on the switch. Fire Blast as always is a good answer for bulky threats like Durant, Escalvier, etc. U-Turn is what truly sets Flygon apart from other Dragons, being a respectable participant in VoltTurn combos, being immune to Ground moves and works well with a predicted switch.

High Specs Bug?
    Flygon
    Ability: Levitate
    Item: Choice Specs
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -Bug Buzz
    -Earth Power
    Nature: Modest (+SATK, -ATK) or Timid (+SPD, -ATK)
    EVs: 252 SATK/252 SPD/4 HP

Specs set. While the drop in power is noticeable, Flygon has the movepool to pull it off (albeit as a surprise set). Draco Meteor is your unreliable STAB, having immense power, but forcing you to switch. Earth Power is your reliable STAB. Fire Blast is for Bronzong and the like. Bug Buzz hits a variety of threats.

Other Options
    Crunch -Hits Levitate Bronzong hard but otherwise redundant with U-Turn and Earthquake.
    Sunny Day/Fire Blast/Solarbeam -Extreme niche but Flygon has the moveset to pull of a Sunny Day classic combination and takes care of the bulky waters that otherwise trouble it.
    Dragon Dance -A great buff move that Flygon has been begging for for generations.
    Boomburst -A spread base 140 power move with no drawbacks? Flygon maybe the weakest fully evolved user of the move, but it is still worth a mention.
    Dragon Pulse [Pokébank Only] -Reliable Dragon STAB, though with how common fairies are and Flygon's poor SATK means that Draco Meteor is generally more preferable.
    Tailwind [PokébankOnly] -Speed Support for your team.
    Defog [Pokébank Only] -Immunity/Resistance to Entry Hazards + Defog = one of the best entry hazard removers in the game.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 9th October 2017 at 1:48 AM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

Pain is getting flinched 3 times in a row by an Aerodactyl.

"Well, we're semi-trained quasi-professionals at any rate." -Roy Greenhilt

FC: 5043-1767-3387

A New Toy
    Flygon
    Levitate
    Adamant/Jolly 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 SpDef
    Groundium Z/Dragonium Z
    ~Dragon Dance
    ~Outrage
    ~Earthquake
    ~Iron Tail

Game freak has blessed the overshadowed Dragon with a new toy in Dragon Dance this generation. Dragon Dance allows Flygon to be an excellent set up sweeper in lower tiers, with Dragon/Ground being amazing STAB. Outrage and Earthquake are powerful STAB attacks that hit hard, especially after boosts, and Iron Tail is used to threaten fairies, mainly Gardevoir since it can switch in and Trace Levitate. The item of choice depends on what you want to hit harder. Dragonium Z is used to launch powerful Devastating Drakes that hit most pokemon hard, but Groundium Z can be an option to accurately hit bulkier fairies, such as Florges.

Accessorizing Flygon
    Flygon
    Levitate
    Jolly 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 SpDef
    Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    ~U-Turn
    ~Outrage
    ~Earthquake
    ~Dragon Claw
    Flygon's good speed tier allows it to function as an amazing revenge killer or wallbreaker, depending on your item of choice. U-turn is used for momentum and nice chip damage. Outrage should only be used when opposing fairies have been dealt with. Until that point, Dragon Claw is a safer STAB option. Earthquake is also a nice STAB move that hits a lot of pokemon.

Other Options
    Defog
    Roost
    Toxic
    Fire Punch
    Life Orb
    Mixed Sets

A couple important things to remember about Flygon: 1.) it resists Stealth Rocks and is immune to all other forms of entry hazards, and it has access to Defog; and 2.) Flygon's typing and ability allow it to resist the classic QuakeEdge combo. Regrettably, both these facts are offset by Flygon's relatively poor defenses and only better-than-average speed tier. Nevertheless, in its home tier of RU Flygon actually makes a good defogger, despite some competition with Gligar for the role. (Flygon used to be a viable defogger in higher tiers, but with the introduction of the Tapus and Alolan Ninetales it's not reliable anymore.)

If you're going offensive in RU, be sure to remember the resistance to the QuakeEdge combo. It's a very useful way to switch into a few threats like Gigalith or (some) Rhyperior. However, bear in mind that offensive sets without Choice Scarf need to be careful; DD sets can get Encore-locked by Prankster Whimsicott, and other sets always have to watch out for revenge killing via Mega Abomasnow's Ice Shard or coverage Ice-type moves from the likes of Aerodactyl or Jolteon.

Fortunately, with Flygon's massive movepool there are few hard counters to it; revenge killers will have to come in safely, and there is no wall that won't be hit for SE damage by at least one of Flygon's potential moves. Some of the best counters to Flygon, while dependent on the set, are Gligar, Porygon2, and Chesnaught. The first two can avoid SE damage from any of Flygon's moves and are only threatened by Z-moves, one of which Gligar is immune to. They can then stall with Toxic or KO with Ice Beam respectively. Chesnaught is hit hard by Fire Punch but it's rarely used on Flygon and even if Flygon has it, Fire Punch won't score a KO easily without a burn. On the other hand, Chesnaught can easily whittle Flygon's HP with Spiky Shield, Drain Punch, and/or Wood Hammer.
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.

Flygon in VGC? Whaaaaaaaaat???

Oh boy, how I have waited for this. First entry of mine where we can speculate sets for VGC 17 AND VGC 18! This year, Flygon was not used much. Compared to Garchomp, the only thing Flygon has going for it is its immunity to Ground attacks (which lots of Flying types get anyway...) and access to Dragon Dance. Salamence gets both of these anyway as well as Intimidate and better stats overall (although the STAB Ground Tec Rage could be nice). So how do you use Flygon? To be honest I don't think it's possible but Ashton Cox used one anyway. When I faced him (hadn't seen him since Internats) at the Ohio State Midseason Showdown, he was running Scarf special Flygon with Draco Meteor and Flamethrower (those were the only two moves I saw in our set anyway). As far as speculation for 2018, I wouldn't expect much. In a season with the national Dex, AND a reintroduction of Megas in the format (I think/hope), it's not likely Flygon will be able to carve a niche for itself. I sure do hate that Flygon still doesn't have a Mega Evolution, and as much as I want to use it, sorry guys, still pretty unusable.