Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Choose You

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    They were included because this movie was a celebration of the anime's 20th anniversary. It was an homage to the show's history. I don't know why they were confused, but I don't see why that would imply they're going to appear somewhere in the future.
    Well they definitely didn't celebrate them correctly by denying them time in 20th anniversary movie don't you think? And the reason why I said what was because this movie came out months before Misty and Brocks cameo in SM and following that the writers confirmed more characters could possibly be visiting in SM.
    "It's weird people refuse to watch BW yet hate Iris for the sole purpose that she calls Ash a kid. Her catchphrase is supposed to be ironic, she's a kid herself.

Quote Originally Posted by AshxSatoshi View Post
    Well they definitely didn't celebrate them correctly by denying them time in 20th anniversary movie don't you think?
    So you wanted them to shoehorn nine additional characters into a movie that was already pressed for time? Something tells me that wouldn't have worked out that well. I think cameos during the credits was plenty.

And the reason why I said what was because this movie came out months before Misty and Brocks cameo in SM and following that the writers confirmed more characters could possibly be visiting in SM.
    But there's not really any evidence to suggest it's anything but a coincidence.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old. It's an out-of-this-world adventure!
    Check it out!

For news, episode reviews, info on my games, Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, Special Episodes, features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing my custom Pokémon with pictures, and more visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Ooh, a thread for the movie. I saw the movie in the cinema this weekend and I enjoyed it. The Luxray flashback was nice, and I thought it helped flesh out Sorrel and explain why he acts so sternly and almost solemnly in the present. Pikachu talking came off very cringey to me, but I know Ash was hallucinating and the kids in the theater really enjoyed that part. Cynthia most likely being Verity's mom (is this confirmed?) is a nice touch. Cynthia's one of my favorite characters in the Pokemon games and anime. I wish Marshadow had gotten to do more and have more of a backstory, but alas. I guess it's just up to our imagination.

I have a question, though: was Ash really angry at Charmeleon for losing to Cross's Incineroar, or were his reactions influenced by Marshadow? I couldn't tell, but I was thinking Marshadow was affecting him somehow because it seemed so out of character for Ash.

Currently writing: The Missing Link!

Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponATime View Post
    I have a question, though: was Ash really angry at Charmeleon for losing to Cross's Incineroar, or were his reactions influenced by Marshadow? I couldn't tell, but I was thinking Marshadow was affecting him somehow because it seemed so out of character for Ash.
    Marshadow's entire plot was extremely confusing, but I think the entire point of Marshadow was to make sure that the Rainbow Hero's heart remains pure. When Ash started to be corrupted by his anger at his loss, Marshadow came in and showed him the vision of a world without Pokémon, causing Ash to re-realize what's really important and return to his rightful path. This would Ash was being corrupted by nothing but himself.

Honestly, I would argue this isn't even that out of character, at least for this Ash. Think about how Ash reacted to losing to Paul, a trainer with similar morals to Cross, and then think about how those reactions may be compounded by the fact that this was Ash's first ever loss. Basically, this movie had the advantage of compressing all 20 years of Ash's character development down into just over an hour, making his actions and reactions much more extreme than normal. That was one of my favorite parts of the movie, as it is often easy to forget how much Ash's character has developed over the years, since it's so spread out. Compressing it allowed us to really be reminded of how far Ash has come.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old. It's an out-of-this-world adventure!
    Check it out!

For news, episode reviews, info on my games, Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, Special Episodes, features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing my custom Pokémon with pictures, and more visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

I thought the movie was fun. Very refreshing to see Pokemon on the big screen again. The only aversion I had was they ditched the original BGM, which was what I was most looking forward to.

Marshadow's entire plot was extremely confusing, but I think the entire point of Marshadow was to make sure that the Rainbow Hero's heart remains pure. When Ash started to be corrupted by his anger at his loss, Marshadow came in and showed him the vision of a world without Pokémon, causing Ash to re-realize what's really important and return to his rightful path. This would Ash was being corrupted by nothing but himself.

Honestly, I would argue this isn't even that out of character, at least for this Ash. Think about how Ash reacted to losing to Paul, a trainer with similar morals to Cross, and then think about how those reactions may be compounded by the fact that this was Ash's first ever loss. Basically, this movie had the advantage of compressing all 20 years of Ash's character development down into just over an hour, making his actions and reactions much more extreme than normal. That was one of my favorite parts of the movie, as it is often easy to forget how much Ash's character has developed over the years, since it's so spread out. Compressing it allowed us to really be reminded of how far Ash has come.
    Gotcha, thank you for responding. That's what I was originally thinking while watching it but then thought too far into it. Also, I love what you pointed out about the condensation of Ash's growth. I hadn't thought about it like that. Similarly, I didn't mind the condensation of Butterfree and Charizard's very quick evolutions because they paid really great nostalgic homage to OS, being two of the most iconic storylines. It seemed a little wonky while watching because evolutions were happening so rapidly, but after thinking about it I wouldn't want the movie without them tbh.

Currently writing: The Missing Link!

So how exactly does throwing people into the air signify aggression from Primeape? Am I missing something?
    I've got your back > : )

Credit goes to Satomine Night <3

Honestly Pikachu talking was the most awkward weird out of place thing in this movie even my niece and nephew thought the same also I thought Pikachu was male why did they give him a girl voice

Quote Originally Posted by DanielS View Post
    Honestly Pikachu talking was the most awkward weird out of place thing in this movie even my niece and nephew thought the same also I thought Pikachu was male why did they give him a girl voice
    Pikachu is male (just look at its tail). Pikachu is, however, voiced by a girl, and they were probably trying to get it to sound as close as possible to the voice actress who does the "Pika-speak." Also, it makes it still sound like a cute little animal. I can agree it was a tad on the awkward side though. Still heartwarming though at the same time.

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by AshxSatoshi View Post
    I think the past characters are looking confused in the screen because the movie was hinting possible cameos from all of them. I dont see otherwise why'd they need to be included if not that
    From what I've read (I forgot where), according to the movie director, the part where they were all looking confused in the end credits was supposed to depict Ash asking his previous companions where the next gym will be. I'm not quite sure about this though and I'd appreciate some confirmation like a source from where this was stated. I forgot where I've read about this but AshSerena did confirmed it for me in Twitter.
    Last edited by Satoshi no masara; 9th November 2017 at 6:18 PM.

I wonder if they just up and forgot that Todd was a companion at one point.

When I saw Verity's mother I thought "oh, her hair is covering her face to obscure her identity so this must mean that she's dead" and was very surprised that Verity used present tense when speaking of her. I didn't get "this is Cynthia" but people are treating it like fact. Does anyone have a shot of that image?

I also have to wonder how much thought went into the Luxray scene because Sorrel should have at least been frostbitten from that sort of cold.

I feel like Pikachu's "voice" should have been Ohtani as well. If they couldn't get her to sound natural at it, then come as close as possible to her via some sort of voice modulator. Or at least keep casting. Having a generic "kiddie" voice didn't work.

I love me some Team Rocket but DAMN they had no right to be in this movie. When they commented about "our Entei" I thought that meant it was a trap they had set with a fake Entei. I do love that they clearly posed for their wanted poster though.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (Chapter 31 posted on August 21st, 2017!)
    It's got its own TV Tropes page!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine, winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!
    Heart Like A Stone, winner of Most Heartbreaking Fic and 3rd place Best Canon Character-Centric 2014!
    Solar System, 4th place, Villainous Intent

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    I wonder if they just up and forgot that Todd was a companion at one point.
    Only for a couple episodes. If he counted, then there'd be a large list of other temporary companions that would count too, such as Lyra, N, Alexa, or Korrina.

I feel like Pikachu's "voice" should have been Ohtani as well. If they couldn't get her to sound natural at it, then come as close as possible to her via some sort of voice modulator. Or at least keep casting. Having a generic "kiddie" voice didn't work.
    As interesting as that might have been, that would also mean she would have to do a voice for every language.

I love me some Team Rocket but DAMN they had no right to be in this movie. When they commented about "our Entei" I thought that meant it was a trap they had set with a fake Entei. I do love that they clearly posed for their wanted poster though.
    I'd rather have background Team Rocket than no Team Rocket at all myself. I was just happy that they were there at all, as I was afraid they'd be cut.

Check it out!

Ho-Oh was the driving force of the movie. Even if it wasn't physically there, it was a pretty important role to play.
    The "main legendary/mythical" of each movie has gotten way better personality/characterization/storyline than Ho-oh got here. And we don't even get to see the battle, on top of the fact that "a battle" is a lame legendary plot
    Or, you know, the two of them are just really good friends, as the writers intended it. I don't like the ship either, but it only exists in the minds strange fans. You can't blame the writers for emphasizing the friendship of the two.

Saying in a cute voice "because I want to be with you..." is NOT what "friends" say to each other.

Also, that doesn't even make sense. Pikachu didn't want to get in his Poké Ball WAY before he met Ash
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnrob View Post
    Maybe everyone gets kicked out of school for having an orgy. Who knows? You don't. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by LilligantLewis View Post
    Saying in a cute voice "because I want to be with you..." is NOT what "friends" say to each other.
    I don't want to use the phrase "beyond friends," as that would imply the opposite of what I mean, but the point is, they are extremely good friends, to the point where they do want to be with each other as much as possible. That doesn't require there to be a romance between them.

Regardless of how you may feel on the topic, my point remains the same. Pika shipping (just like almost any other ship) is something created by fans who read too deeply into things. As far as the writers are concerned, nothing like exists. Just try not to read too deeply into it, like the shippers do, and you'll be fine.

Also, that doesn't even make sense. Pikachu didn't want to get in his Poké Ball WAY before he met Ash
    That was probably supposed to be Pikachu's character development. Maybe that was originally the case, but now there's a new reason.

Check it out!

So am I the only one appalled by the dub replacing the soundtrack? I know they've been doing it for a while now, but I was really hoping they would let this one be the exception. With that in mind, I hope everyone reading this will consider not getting tickets to sdee it when it gets that 2nd showing in theaters, if you wanna see it buy tickets for Thor and then sneak into the other movie.

I doubt boycotting will work; people will still go see it regardless.
    As for the dub replacing music as long as it replaced them with good bgm then I don't mind which seemed to happen with this movie from what I've seen so far imo.
    ~Sailor Saturn~

Quote Originally Posted by uncutpokemon View Post
    So am I the only one appalled by the dub replacing the soundtrack? I know they've been doing it for a while now, but I was really hoping they would let this one be the exception. With that in mind, I hope everyone reading this will consider not getting tickets to sdee it when it gets that 2nd showing in theaters, if you wanna see it buy tickets for Thor and then sneak into the other movie.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'll admit the soundtrack wasn't the best, but don't you think that's a bit extreme? The movie was still great, regardless of the music. It's still the same movie. It's ridiculous to suggest that people purposely not watch a good movie just because you're bitter about the music being changed.

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    I doubt boycotting will work; people will still go see it regardless.
    As for the dub replacing music as long as it replaced them with good bgm then I don't mind which seemed to happen with this movie from what I've seen so far imo.
    People threatened boycotts over the recasting, and look how well that turned out. As for the music, well, just refer to my "new #1 Pokemon soundtrack" comment. Of course, I won't promise you'll have the same experience, but I doubt you'll have uncutpokemon's experience with it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'll admit the soundtrack wasn't the best, but don't you think that's a bit extreme? The movie was still great, regardless of the music. It's still the same movie. It's ridiculous to suggest that people purposely not watch a good movie just because you're bitter about the music being changed.
    The person you said this to hates people who feel even the slightest bit of positivity toward the dub. Remember, he bashed my entire taste in music over the fact that I wholeheartedly prefer Ed Goldfarb as a Pokemon composer over Shinji Miyazaki.

But anyway, it's only the individual's choice whether or not to see the movie. It's not up to anyone else.
    -Ryu, a resolute fan and advocate for the Pokemon cartoon's English dub.

Clearly I am the only one then, in that case I'll just go somewhere else to badmouth Goldfart and his sad excuse for a score.

Quote Originally Posted by uncutpokemon View Post
    Clearly I am the only one then, in that case I'll just go somewhere else to badmouth Goldfart and his sad excuse for a score.
    No one ever said you couldn't dislike the music. The problem comes in the extreme reaction you took to this dislike in calling for a boycott.

Check it out!

So if this is an alternate reality and the credits of Ash's companions through the years are scenarios where he's asking where the next gym is, does this mean the movie is connected somehow to the Ultra Wormholes where Ash doesn't travel with them?

Quote Originally Posted by roguedr4g0nite View Post
    So if this is an alternate reality and the credits of Ash's companions through the years are scenarios where he's asking where the next gym is, does this mean the movie is connected somehow to the Ultra Wormholes where Ash doesn't travel with them?
    The companions are there for nostalgia purposes , and yes this is an alternate reality, it was stated before the release of the movie in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Serena gave Ash a kiss, Lillie gave him a child.
    Currently hyped up fo 20th Movie . BRING IT ON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DankOverlord View Post
    The companions are there for nostalgia purposes , and yes this is an alternate reality, it was stated before the release of the movie in Japan
    Guess I won't be seeing Iris again...ever... because she's so despised

It's an alternate reality, but that doesn't automatically mean Ultra Wormholes are involved.

Check it out!

Guess I won't be seeing Iris again...ever... because she's so despised
    I don't think she's despised outside of the american fandom, not as popular as Serena, Misty, Brock or Dawn, but still isn't hated
    Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Serena gave Ash a kiss, Lillie gave him a child.
    Currently hyped up fo 20th Movie . BRING IT ON!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast