View Poll Results: Do you think regression is coming?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 24.14%
  • No

    10 34.48%
  • I don't know

    12 41.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69

Thread: Do you think regression is coming?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sinnoh
    Posts
    701

    Default Do you think regression is coming?

    I believe Ash will get regressed in Gen VIII or IX. The executives don't want him to win because they seem to believe that would be the end of the show (or probably just want to make it easier for him to travel to another region). Since Ash ended up runner-up in Kalos, his rank can't progress any further, so he will have to be regressed. The executives seem to believe making him win will make them lose a lot of money, but him getting regressed won't affect the show much, it will still be doing tons of money. So given their mentality, the executives will push the "Regression" button. By the time Gen VIII comes, most of those who watched Best Wishes will be outside the target audience.
    Yes, the whole show is available online, but who's going to watch it from the beginning with its 1000+ episodes?

    So, do you believe regression is coming or you think I am being too pessimistic.
    What do we want? Sinnoh remakes.
    When do we want them? Soon.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Down the Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    6,392

    Default

    There was a lot of flak towards BW for the stupid regression, and a lot of flak towards the Kalos League for the loss to Alain. The showmakers hopefully have realized by now they can't just 'reset' Ash after his progress from OS->DP/XY, considering they still made him a competent battler in SM despite his personality shifts matching the series tonality. I think more likely than a reset/regression, Ash will continue looking good while his character changes based on the type of series they want to depict.

    Another regression should kill the show for all I care because it's just insulting to show that little loyalty to your protagonist, as well as to the fandom. I don't think it'll happen.

    That being said, I think SM/Gen 8, whichever has the next league, is the breaking point. Ash reached all stages of the league after XY. He has the skills, and the reserves. He won the BF before. There is no more excuses other than they just want to keep dragging out an iconic character (who should finally be given the chance to succeed) because they don't want to wipe the slate clean.
    Last edited by Navin; 12th January 2018 at 6:44 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Agree with Navin here, another reset would effectively kill the Pokemon Anime franchise for good. For me at least.

    I'm still hoping Gen 8, they make an anime where the primary purpose is to develop Ash in a new way and take on a more traditional anime style, not to just promote the games. Heck scratch Ash if you have to, but make an anime that runs along side Ash's journey specifically for older fans

    Credit to FairyWitch and her AMAZING shop! Seriously, what are you waiting for? Go ask her for a signature!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Isn't there supposed to be a league eventually in SM? We won't have to wait till Gen 8 to see if Ash will get the reset button or not.
    Friend code:3454-4819-4829

    Feel free to add me

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    No, in fact, I'm going to sound optimistic (for some reason) and say that gen VIII will be Ash's swansong season. Now obviously SM seems like a vacation for Ash, and would be a terrible season to conclude his story, so I'm sure Ash will be around for gen VIII. As stated by Navin, BW got a lot of flack for reseting Ash, and I don't think they'll take that risk again.

    Furthermore, he's won the Battle Frontier, and by being a runner up in Kalos, he easily has the skills now to win a league. There have also been rumors that gen VIII will be Kanto games, so what better way to end Ash's journey than by making him win a league where it all started.

    Of course, this could just be me being optimistic, and for all you know like you're suggesting, they could reset Ash. Of course, that would effectively kill the anime for good for me, much like for Power Up, Navin and many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilligantLewis View Post
    "Because I like BW and SM when a lot of people don't, if someone criticizes SM, even if it's a valid criticism, I will suddenly complain that no one criticized XY in the same way. I will then proceed to pretend the thread is being raided by XY fanboys even though I'm the only one who brought up XY in the first place".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    If he regresses in SM then sure because frankly he's steamrolling his way through Alola.

    Unless they bring back heavy hitters like Alain, Paul, Gary etc etc because there is a new league to conquer. So he actually works for his league position.

    Basically if he regresses he better have some strong af opponents to lose to.

    3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Moon (Moon)

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    80

    Default

    If they do then i'll going to stick with the games and fanfiction.

  8. #8

    Default

    Maybe. They don't have to regress him though, I mean he can place lower in a league but that doesn't mean that he regressed; more like the competition got tougher.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    At my exact coordinates
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    There is one other option. Have it be a tie for first before outright victory. Though Nintendo did say that the Switch Pokemon games would be different so who knows?
    Hey, the new subs I found do use Snowball. I win.


    I enjoy writing.


    Some people want to blend into the crowd.
    Some people want to stand out from the crowd.
    I want to be the crowd.


    Currently patiently waiting for my crazy theories to pan out.

    Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    4,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    There is one other option. Have it be a tie for first before outright victory. Though Nintendo did say that the Switch Pokemon games would be different so who knows?
    Why though? He made it to the Top 2 last time, down to the last Pokemon in the last battle, it was a matter of whether Ash-Greninja or Mega Charizard X fell after the explosion. The only logical progression I can see this time is winning.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!



    Imgur.com

    Ash's potential Alola ace!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    3,242

    Default

    I'm on board with those who think BW was a one-off; and given the fan backlash over Ash being regressed in that series, I would like to have faith that the anime staff won't make the mistake of regressing Ash like that again.

    Ash doesn't have to be regressed in order to place lower in a league. His competition just has to be tougher. He may have placed second in the Kalos League, but aside from Sawyer and Alain, his competition did not appear to be that challenging; he pretty much steamrolled his way to the semifinals.

    Ash may be progressing steadily as a Trainer (aside from BW, of course), but he has one disadvantage that the writers could take advantage of to justify his not placing as high in a league: He always enters the league with the team of Pokémon with which he traveled through a region. Thus, his Pokémon are never as experienced as he is. Sure, his experience as a Trainer can and should be able to make up for most of his Pokémon's lack of experience, but one can argue it can't make up for all of his Pokémon's lack of experience.

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Request a banner from Studio Satomine Graphics
    Check out my art gallery to see more of my banners


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Really, most of the problems of the anime are generated by overcompensating for the original problem

    Ash is too bland and we're getting tired of an eon-long story - reset him to give him a semi-fresh start
    Ash is too idiotic and underpowered - make him a preachy Black Hole Sue
    Ash is too much of a preachy Black Hole Sue with a personality of a brick who lost to Alain - make him the most expressive member with probably the cleanest battle record compared to other sagas
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

    "Momentai!"

    "Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

    But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Really, most of the problems of the anime are generated by overcompensating for the original problem

    Ash is too bland and we're getting tired of an eon-long story - reset him to give him a semi-fresh start
    Ash is too idiotic and underpowered - make him a preachy Black Hole Sue
    Ash is too much of a preachy Black Hole Sue with a personality of a brick who lost to Alain - make him the most expressive member with probably the cleanest battle record compared to other sagas
    SM does treat things a bit more carefully in the sense it remembered the mistakes not just from last series but the series before, making him more comedic and expressive, but remembering to keep him competent, often winning while still looking fallible about it to some degree, not to mention using the convenient introduction of new challenges and concepts to better excuse and balance his naiveté or inexperience.

    That is at least a suggestion that the writers are learning from their mistakes through trial and error in some areas, rather than constantly shifting back and forth between one extreme or the other like they do some other elements.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 12th January 2018 at 6:32 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    2,295

    Default

    I don't think Ash as a trainer will necessarily be 'regressed' - I agree with the majority here that Best Wishes seems to have just been a 'one-off' in terms of how poorly he acted as a trainer back then - but I think in future Pokemon Leagues after Alola Ash won't fare as well as the Final Two. I think later sagas will be written well enough for Ash to lose on high notes to worthy trainers in the Top Eight or Top Four, but Top Two seems to have been a one off and probably won't happen ever again until perhaps Gen 10 at earliest.
    If you're a fan of Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, DC Comics and Movies, Fear The Walking Dead, GTA, Heroes, Mass Effect or Saints Row, hit me up with a VM, I'm always eager to talk about things I like with fellow fans.


    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/nmgcc9.png[/IMG]
    Credit goes to AvengingAngel for the banner.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Po Town
    Posts
    7,673

    Default

    Anything less than top two is a regression, don't care if the trainer has a freaking Zeraora and Marshadow on his team, if Ash loses before placing in the top two, it is a regression simple as that.
    They can easily just let him win the Alola League and go on to lose to the one Elite Four member he never faced, Kahili.
    It'd be nice to let Ash move on to facing the Elite Four each region and eventually able to take out a Champion, it'd give the Elite Four a more meaning full appearance like back in DP rather than Siebold, Drake, Lorelei, Bruno, Caitlin appearing just cuz. And it'd stop some Elite Four members from not making the cut.... poor Grimsley.
    Fanfic Corner
    Best Wishes Rewrite - Ferris Wheel shipping story, Team Rocket vs Team Plasma action (Disclaimer: No Iris)
    Sun/Moon Rewrite - A standalone story with a new lead. (Coming soon)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Eh, I just stopped to care. If there is an Alola League in the front, I can see it like a local thing, basically a knock off league Kukui put together as a first try, barely a school tournament (maybe with Royal Mask as the champion/last oponent). It can be as be as big as a normal league conference, but, considering Alola doesn't necessarily treats these things as serious competitions, I can't see why I should.

    But, anyway... top 2 or top 4 at most. Not expecting Kahili or Acerola appear as E4, but aleatory challengers. I wouldn't mind one of them is the main league rival, but most probably will be Hau or Gladion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Yeah he was clearly frustrated with Pikachu, and sent Charizard to finish the job, the change in his voice tone indicates that.
    "Why can't I get rid of this stupid yellow rat?"
    Friend Code: 0104 - 4278 - 4482

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    In a not announced region.
    Posts
    1,311

    Default

    I think after SM they'll try to make another DP/XY level of serious series, so I expect his skills to not get resetted at all but maybe to introduce stronger than usual characters, rivals etc.

    I hope so. I want Ash to go full out in Gen 8 and win the league with all his reserves.
    "I have two rules: First, I am never wrong. Second, if I am wrong...back to the first rule", L - Death Note

    BoruSumi fan



    Credit: lilshironeko


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    365

    Default

    He’s already regressed in personality and characterization going back to being the bland one-dimensional idiot he was in the original series...So until they fixed that major mistake and learn from it, he’ll probably keep regressing in skill and competence as well.
    Check out my original story: Forbidden Book
    http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3163587/1/Forbidden-Book

    [IMG]http://sngk.net/upioUz/img1[/IMG]
    A Saga of pain, love, and revenge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Amerurriccca
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Regression is inevitable. Pokémon isn't exactly meant to be followed by children until they turn into adults and then some. Do I think the regression will be like BW? No probably not but they'll eventually throw a new bucket of paint on Ash to make him "newer" whenever they feel the current fans age out.


    Quote Originally Posted by XY Rules View Post
    He’s already regressed in personality and characterization going back to being the bland one-dimensional idiot he was in the original series...So until they fixed that major mistake and learn from it, he’ll probably keep regressing in skill and competence as well.
    Because he was so full of personality in the last saga.
    "It's weird people refuse to watch BW yet hate Iris for the sole purpose that she calls Ash a kid. Her catchphrase is supposed to be ironic, she's a kid herself.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    4,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AshxSatoshi View Post
    Regression is inevitable. Pokémon isn't exactly meant to be followed by children until they turn into adults and then some. Do I think the regression will be like BW? No probably not but they'll eventually throw a new bucket of paint on Ash to make him "newer" whenever they feel the current fans age out.
    I disagree. Rica Matsumoto will retire at some point and then they will have to inevitably replace Ash. Japan is very strict regarding VA's.
    Last edited by 345ash-greninja; 13th January 2018 at 8:50 AM.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!



    Imgur.com

    Ash's potential Alola ace!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Amerurriccca
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 345ash-greninja View Post
    I disagree. Rica Masumoto will retire at some point and then they will have to inevitably replace Ash. Japan is very strict regarding VA's.
    She's been voicing him long enough for children of OS to become adults, I don't see why she'd stop anytime soon; especially considering she's probably highly paid and still in working condition.
    "It's weird people refuse to watch BW yet hate Iris for the sole purpose that she calls Ash a kid. Her catchphrase is supposed to be ironic, she's a kid herself.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    4,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AshxSatoshi View Post
    She's been voicing him long enough for children of OS to become adults, I don't see why she'd stop anytime soon; especially considering she's probably highly paid and still in working condition.
    I said 'at some point'. At some point she obviously have to. The point is, I don't see Ash being around for another 20 years or so. So I don't see a point in regressing him now.
    Last edited by 345ash-greninja; 13th January 2018 at 8:41 AM.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!



    Imgur.com

    Ash's potential Alola ace!!!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Amerurriccca
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 345ash-greninja View Post
    I said 'at some point'. At some point she obviously have to. The point is, I don't see Ash being around for another 20 years or so.
    And that doesn't mean he'll be replaced either. Japan may not be keen on replacing voice actors but that doesn't mean Ash will be replaced. He's a signature of the anime itself. We don't how Pokémon will react to a main character no longer having its original voice actor due to them leaving/retiring because the only person it's ever happen to was May who already left years ago.
    "It's weird people refuse to watch BW yet hate Iris for the sole purpose that she calls Ash a kid. Her catchphrase is supposed to be ironic, she's a kid herself.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    4,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AshxSatoshi View Post
    And that doesn't mean he'll be replaced either. Japan may not be keen on replacing voice actors but that doesn't mean Ash will be replaced. He's a signature of the anime itself. We don't how Pokémon will react to a main character no longer having its original voice actor due to them leaving/retiring because the only person it's ever happen to was May who already left years ago.
    Hmm, the reason May didn't return in XY to promote ORAS was probably because of the fact that May's VA retired. Considering how strict Japan is regarding VA's, I doubt Ash will be around after Rica Matsumoto retires.
    Last edited by 345ash-greninja; 13th January 2018 at 8:50 AM.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!



    Imgur.com

    Ash's potential Alola ace!!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Amerurriccca
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 345ash-greninja View Post
    Hmm, the reason May didn't return in XY to promote ORAS was probably because of the fact that May's VA retired. Considering how strict Japan is regarding VA's, I doubt Ash will be around after Rica Matsumoto retires.
    Fair argument but if they didn't even return IRIS who was suppose to return in XY (thank goodness she didn't because Serena beating her would of been too cringy for me), why would they return May? The only reason why they had Lyra in DP during HGSS release was probably because Kris never made an actual appearance in the show minus specials. However it's not like Leaf was in the anime during FRLG release anyway. Also May was never promised to return in XY due ORAS, it was just always speculation. And since XY holds the least continuity to date, I wouldn't of expected for May to even return.
    Last edited by AshxSatoshi; 13th January 2018 at 8:55 AM.
    "It's weird people refuse to watch BW yet hate Iris for the sole purpose that she calls Ash a kid. Her catchphrase is supposed to be ironic, she's a kid herself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •