Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Choose It Or Lose It! (407)

Squirtle should never evolve. Ash doesn't need a Wartotle.

Squirtle's personality is why it's so popular, why would they kill it off for a pointless evolution? It's the whole point why people like Bulbasaur and Squirtle, those two evolving would be idiocy upon the writers part. Squirtle kicks ***, I don't know why people think otherwise, it's stronger than that dim-witted lobster anyday.

As for his Johto pokes, yeah maybe some of them should have evolved. I really wanted Phanpy to evolve, but after all this Donphan crap the writers have shoved at us (Donphan filler, then Tetsuya having Donphan), seeing Ash with Donphan wouldn't be that special anymore.

frednmethod mentioned that Noctowl got shafted in Johto, which I can't say I totally agree with....it won nearly the entire Morty battle by itself with this outta-nowhere super-powerful psychic attack...it just blew in the battle against Harrison because it was up against a Steelix...but Phanpy I totally agree with, that little cutie didn't get enough airtime at all
    I was actually mentioning the Johto league, instead of the whole Johto saga, but come to think of it, Noctowl was shafted in the entire Johto region.

So it got the honor in beating Morty... and what else? That was the only gym battle Noctowl participated in (like Torkoal's only gym battle being against Norman). And as far as I can rememeber, Ash almost never used it to battle at all. Compare it to pokemon like Cyndauquil/Swellow/Corphish/Bayleef/Glalie... so yes, it was shafted. We could have seen a whole lot more of it, if Ash had realized that bird types are actually worth before he got Swellow.

Quote Originally Posted by frednmethod
    So it got the honor in beating Morty... and what else? That was the only gym battle Noctowl participated in (like Torkoal's only gym battle being against Norman). And as far as I can rememeber, Ash almost never used it to battle at all. Compare it to pokemon like Cyndauquil/Swellow/Corphish/Bayleef/Glalie... so yes, it was shafted. We could have seen a whole lot more of it, if Ash had realized that bird types are actually worth before he got Swellow.
    True, and it got seen once or twice in the league(like Torkoal) and I think it lost. But I'm not sure.

But I'm having NO hopes of Torkoal in the next match due to we See Torkoal using flamethrower and Shiftry dodging it. But Torkoal must be redeemed don't you guys agree?

I have now seen this episode, and the battle was just... meh. Fortunately Masamune got his act together after his Guardie fainted, and continued the rest of the battle with his usual vigor. I'll try to give a short summary of the episode:

-There is a brief summary of the previous episode
    -From what I could understand, the judge is about to declare Masamune to be disqualified
    -Satoshi objects and insists Masamune sends out his next pokémon
    -Masamune chooses Guardie, and Heigani has little trouble defeating it
    -Masamune is about to have a breakdown when Satoshi yells at him to keep going, or something
    -Masamune regains his fighting spirit and sends out Laglarge
    -It and Heigani exchange atacks untill they both faint
    -They take a break as Masamune has lost three pokémon
    -The battle is resumed on a grass field
    -Satoshi chooses Pikachu and Masamune sends out Haganeeru
    -They exchange some attacks, mainly dig and quick attack, and eventually Pikachu is knocked out when they both use iron tail at the same moment
    -Satoshi sends out Kootasu, who is doing fine at first, but ends up being knocked out by dragonbreath
    -Satoshi sends out Juputoru, who dodges all of Haganeeru's attacks and uses leaf blade to cut straight through dragonbreath, at the same time defeating it
    -Masamune sends out Gligar and the two pokémon get into a semi-aerial battle which ends up with Gligar slamming Juputoru into the ground and defeating it
    -Satoshi sends out Oosubame, who engages Gligar in an aerial match (obviously)
    -The two pokémon end up knocking each other out
    -Satoshi sends out Onigohri, and Masamune uses Metang
    -The two pokémon exchange attacks, and Onigohri comes out on top
    -Later, Masamune and Satoshi-tachi meet up again, and Masamune congratulates Satoshi and wishes him luck, or something XP
    -Musashi-tachi are shown eating a large dinner, provided by their 'boss'
    -Tetsuya is shown talking to is pokémon and there is a rather interesting-looking dialogue between Nyasu of the Rocket-dan and Tetsuya's Nyasu
    -Satoshi and Masamune are shown having a rather long converation sitting in hammocks next to each other in the trees
    -Satoshi finds out that he will be facing Tetsuya
    -The battle begins with Satoshi choosing Onigohri, and Tetsuya going with Jukain right off the bat
    -The episode ends as Jukain's solarbeam and Onigohri's ice beam collide and make a large explosion (gee, where have we seen that before?)

Worst summary ever. :P

Anyways, on a whole the battle could have been much better, but it did have it's good points. I also liked the music they chose to use - there were a couple pieces from the fifth movie and at least one from the Raikou special, so that was good. And I'll be looking foreward to when someone who knows Japanese gets ahold of the episode so they can translate the what Nyasu says to Tetsuya's Nyasu.
    Last edited by Heracross; 29th May 2005 at 12:30 AM.

I just saw AG130.

I noticed something, if Satoshi loses against Tetsuya, I know it would be top 8 again. However it would be that he made it to the third round and in one of the first eps of Hoenn he was talking about how he made it to the second round in Johto. If that is true then regardless if he loses or wins he made it one round further than Johto.

However he did make that second round comment in the dub so I hope it is accurate.
    Last edited by Haine; 28th May 2005 at 7:39 AM.

By the way, if anyone was wondering what meteor mash looks like, here's a picture. Pretty cool-looking attack if you ask me, and the computer generated stuff looks great.

Wow, poor Glalie, but I always wondered what it would look like.

Thanks for the summry though, it helped me.

Flamethrower Charizard Guest

What about Swampert who did he face? (sorry I don't know the Japanese names)

So far in the league, speed and evasiveness have played a major role. Unfortunately, Torkoal has very low abilities of this nature. Why do you think Swellow, Grovyle, Glalie and Corphish are kicking arse and he's not? He can hardly move, and I doubt he's the brightest bulb in the box.

Anyway, the updated table as it stands!

Pikachu
    Wins- Hitmonlee
    Losses- Dugtrio, Steelix

Grovyle
    Wins- Quilava, Walrien, Steelix
    Losses- Charizard, Gligar

Glalie
    Wins- Charizard, Dugtrio, Metang
    Draws- Misdreavus

Corphish
    Wins- Swalot, Golduck, Girafarig, Growlithe
    Losses- Walrien
    Draws- Swampert

Swellow
    Wins- Venomoth, Scizor
    Losses- Walrien
    Draws- Gligar

Torkoal
    Losses- Golduck, Steelix
    Draws- Tropius
    Last edited by ChaosMage; 30th May 2005 at 12:47 PM.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Chaosmage, Corphish didn't loose to Venomoth. Kaeda tried to have Venomoth use supersonic on Corphish, but it was already confused so the move didn't work. Then Ash quickly returned it and sent out Swellow. Corphish was brought out later and was defeated by a (painful looking) body slam thanks to Walrein~

So let me get this straight, Swampert had about 10 seconds of battle time?

:/

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    So let me get this straight, Swampert had about 10 seconds of battle time?

:/
    49 seconds, to be exact.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

what attack did glalie use to take down metang? It look like rapid spin too me ( cause it was spinning like crazy..^^) but I m not sure if satoshi ordered a different attack as it sounded nothing like "Kousoku supin" to me. was it a headbutt on crack?

Type Wild!! *dances about* How awesome!
    I must admit this episode wasn't as good as the last one, but it would have been hard to top it anyway.
    In order to bring out more emotional scenes (that were the real focus of this ep IMO, rather than the battle) they rushed the fight a bit too much. But I'm okay with it. At least they played some good BGMs ^_^
    I'm really glad Ash provoked Masamune in order to make him battle properly. As I said in the Speculation Thread, I would have hated it if it had been some corny dialogues.

As for the battle, I liked Swellow vs. Gligar the most. The only thing about it that irritated me was that they used the same attack-and-explosion-animation three times in a row..
    Glalie did well too, but Ash forgot to hug it this time XP Not that I'm complaining, but it was a sweet habit somehow.

Lastly, I loved the conversation between the two Meowths. It was really funny when TR Meowth warned the other one of Pikachu, and Meowth-in-boots just made some snobbish sounding comments and walked off.

Overall, it wasn't excellent, but still a very good episode.

EDIT: TeddiUrsa, it was Headbutt. But it looked different in this episode, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Sushi; 28th May 2005 at 8:08 PM.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

Are they afraid to give Glalie new moves? That Headbutt sure is a jack-of-all-trades attack. Next thing you know, it'll give birth.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

WindyNight Guest

Okay, I just watched that episode.. The battle between Ash and Masamune was okay...
    Now, I have a few things to say:
    ~Pikachu was acting poorly in the HL and same as Torkoal...
    ~Grovyle and Glalie were really great in the HL...
    ~Masamune was not battling as good as he used to be....
    Overall, I give a rating 7/10 for the episode...^^

Gligar versus Grovyle is a HUGE YES from me. Everyone knows Grovyle is a powerhouse, and anything that can take it down is a powerful Pokémon. If anything, this episode was meant to show us how strong a Gligar really can be. It didn't get a direct loss, either, as it tied with Swellow. Yay for the writers liking Gligar!!
    Glalie has been owning in this League, which I think great. Glalie's pretty UU anywhere(even though all of its Base Stats are 80, which is pretty good), and these impressive victories really give it some much-needed redemption.
    Also, Snorunt probably had a great deal of experience beforehand. It evolves at Lv. 42 ingame. I know the animé is different, but that has to play some part in this. Snorunt evolves later than any other Pokémon Ash has ever had. For it to evolve in such a short time after receiving it, it must've had a great deal of experience beforehand. We just never realized it through its goofy, eccentric exterior.

SC~ out
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Sheer Cold
    Also, Snorunt probably had a great deal of experience beforehand. It evolves at Lv. 42 ingame. I know the animé is different, but that has to play some part in this. Snorunt evolves later than any other Pokémon Ash has ever had. For it to evolve in such a short time after receiving it, it must've had a great deal of experience beforehand. We just never realized it through its goofy, eccentric exterior.
    My thoughts exactly, we rarely get any indication how much experience the pokemon have when they're first caught (except for a few examples).
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

I know. People are always saying 'X shouldn't evolve/win because he was only barely caught and has little experience!' Krabby, like Snorunt could have had a good amount of battling experience before it was caught. And it's not that surprising, since Ash focused on training for only Snorunt for like 15 episodes.

But Satoshi's 'training' really sucked, and consisted mainly of him telling Yukiwarashi to use ice beam repeatedly. -_-

And like I said earlier, even though it may have been in battles in the wild, that's nothing like competing in the Houen League. Pokémon battling there are much more powerful than wild ones, and have been trained by humans. The fact that Onigohri is doing so well with such little competitive battling experience and rather lousy training is what I find annoying.
    Last edited by Heracross; 29th May 2005 at 3:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    But Satoshi's 'training' really sucked, and consisted mainly of him telling Yukiwarashi to use ice beam repeatedly. -_-
    It may not have helped it learn the move but it probably jacked up its experience level. Punching a bean bag will make you stronger even if your fighting skills don't improve from it. ^_^

And like I said earlier, even though it may have been in battles in the wild, that's nothing like competing in the Houen League. Pokémon battling there are much more powerful than wild ones, and have been trained by humans. The fact that Onigohri is doing so well with such little competitive battling experience and rather lousy training is what I find annoying.
    I wonder just how much that applies in the anime. They've never actually said that wild Pokemon are usually weaker than trained ones, though it can be said to be usually true some of the wild Pokemon they've encountered have been far stronger than trained examples. The variation is extreme. i.e just look at how small and weak that Swampert of Masumune's was compared to the Swampert met early in Hoenn (which had recieved some training but my point stands).

Unlike in the game, wild Pokemon train themselves and get stronger through living. Once they have a human trainer they can unlock even greater power but not always. It seems it comes with a risk. They've repeatedly said in the anime that a Pokemon can only be as strong as its trainer. Due to that connection, a lot of Pokemon may not perform to their true potential. For instance, I'll bet Masamune's Girafarig would have appeared a lot stronger if it had been commanded properly. And we've seen how weak Ash's Pokemon can seem when he gives them poor commands. It's the old trainer link.

Im just looking at the pics

How could Corphish knock out Swampert with crab hammer?

As a user of swampert I am offended!

It's nice to see Torkoal have some screen time, especially againts a Steelix
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Corphish and Swampert DKO'd each other and Torkoal lost to Steelix which i think is really unfair even though he lost through what looked like "Dragonbreath".

How could Corphish knock out Swampert with crab hammer?
    Then what other attack did you expect Corphish to use? Crabhammer is Corphish's strongest attack. It KOs more than 80% of its opponents by Crabhammer.

Hey, I just noticed something while playing the games.
    My Snorunt just evolved into Glalie and I checked its size... it's bigger than the trainer! I wonder why the animators decided to shrink Glalie so much and make it just about as big as Ash's upper body, when in the games it's supposed to be about a head bigger than Ash. Maybe they thought it would be too scary then? I'm not sure but I sure would have like Glalie to be its original size, then quite a few people would stop complaining about how Glalie is on fire and defeating anyone in sight right now.

It doesn't matter how big it is, it's the fact that it was so recently caught and only evolved about five episodes ago. >_>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast