• Squirtle

14 13.33%
  • Bulbasaur and Charmander (Yellow)

2 1.90%
  • Charmander and Squirtle (Yellow)

3 2.86%
  • Squirtle and Bulbasaur (Yellow)

2 1.90%
  • I'm Using All Three, Of Course!!! (Yellow)

37 35.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Will You Start With?

Default Which Will You Start With?

So as we all know (unless you have been living under a rock for the past few weeks) the original Red, Blue and Yellow games are being released on the 3DS Virtual Console 27th February. My question to you is which starter will you be choosing?

Will it be Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

Or if you are intending to nab Yellow version, which one of the three is most likely to secure itself a place on your team?

Let us know!

Personally I might go with Bulbasaur as I used it in my first ever play-through of Blue and of Leaf Green, so, you know... tradition.

I'm gonna go with Bulbasaur. I want to try something different with these VC games, and I usually pick one of the other two.

For me... I think I may go do Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Charizard tends to few a lot of love, so I will be tending to Venasaur instead. We will sure, for sure, when the time actually comes however. (:
    We all live in a Pokémon world.
        Spoiler:- ❤️:

I'll be using them all in my Pokemon Yellow game. I like all of the Kanto starters so i'll just have to choose all of them.

In Red, I'll probably go with Bulbasaur. Squirtle's my favorite of the three (though I definitely like them all)...but I used one in a Blue Nuzlocke earlier this year, and I got a Charmander from Sycamore in the Y Nuzlocke I'm doing right now.

In Yellow, I'll probably make all three a part of my travelling team. Someone in the RBY VC thread talked about doing an Ash-inspired run, only using Pokémon that he caught during his Indigo League Badge quest, which sounds like a fun idea.

Of course all three in Yellow! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix12 View Post
    In Yellow, I'll probably make all three a part of my travelling team. Someone in the RBY VC thread talked about doing an Ash-inspired run, only using Pokémon that he caught during his Indigo League Badge quest, which sounds like a fun idea.
    I did that many a time before, way back when. Pidgeotto are found in Viridian Forest and level 9, but only have a 1% chance of being found. I once spent about four hours searching for one, and not once did it occur to me that if I just caught one of the level 6 Pidgey I kept running into, within those same four hours I could probably have trained it to level 18, when it evolves naturally! And most of the time when I tried to make an "Ash" team, "Ash" usually ended up owning a Nidoking. Must have been a lost episode or something? :P

For Gen 1- I ultimately choose Charmander!

Gen 2- Totodile!
    「M O N S T R O C K E R 」
    ► Monstrocker's shipping list
    ► DEVIANTART

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    I did that many a time before, way back when. Pidgeotto are found in Viridian Forest and level 9, but only have a 1% chance of being found. I once spent about four hours searching for one, and not once did it occur to me that if I just caught one of the level 6 Pidgey I kept running into, within those same four hours I could probably have trained it to level 18, when it evolves naturally! And most of the time when I tried to make an "Ash" team, "Ash" usually ended up owning a Nidoking. Must have been a lost episode or something? :P
    Ha. Good point about Pidgeotto too. I think I'll take a flexible approach and allow myself to use anything within the evolutionary families he had - mostly because I don't want to have to keep Bulbasaur and Squirtle in those stages permanently

I'm planning to use all three starters in Yellow and I'm picking Charmander in Red for my VC playthrough.

"The Dragon that is immune to Dragon and the Fairy that is weak to Fairy."
    Sugimori art used; Peace to Dragons and Fairies
    Banner created by me

Bulbasaur, its quite bulky which is good for nuzlockes, its strong in the first three gyms, and its status moves make it better for catching other pokemon so its glaring weaknesses against opponents like Blaine Lance and Lorelei etc. aren't such a big deal by the you reach them. Also, after seeing some ideas for an Ash playthrough I kinda want to do a Red playthrough with Pika Poli and Saur.

Likely I'd choose Charmander in Red and Bulbasaur in Blue. I haven't decided if I'll get both games yet however but these are what I'd likely select. :3

I'm thinking of going with Squirtle on Blue version, though I may go with one of the other two if I decide to use a different Water type on my team.

Red - I'll probably play through it several times and use a different starter each time.
    Yellow - I pretty much always end up with all 3 on my team.
    >>// \\<<

Not sure if I'll use a starter for the whole game on any of them, but Bulbasaur is most likely to be on my team. He has great typing for Gen 1 and is the only starter that has a STAB with a guaranteed crit in his learnset. Even if they patch the ~100% crit on Razor Leaf, he's still faster than other Grassmons iirc.

Squirtle! My fave Gen 1 starter.
    But probably I will use all starters by restarting the game.
    FC: 0748-6074-2990

Gonna ride the world like a merry-go-round
    Like a Ferris wheel that's breaking down
    Scream, screaming, screaming bloody murder,
    ...wow yeah

I'll be playing through Green with Bulbasaur. He is probably my favourite starter. And I don't want to use Charmander lol

Still, fitting no?
    Alatar VGC & Lord Fighting
    Apricorn IV Breeders + VGC/Smogon Battles!

I may have chose Bulbasaur in my original blue, but if I do download this game from the VC, I think I'm going to choose Squirtle. I really like Blastoise for some reason. I have no idea what version I'm downloading yet, if I download....
    Team on Pokemon Emerald Cartridge:
    Team on Pokemon Blue Cartridge:

Are these also coming out translated? Might be a stupid question.

I've always picked Charmander. Even in Yellow, I will pick up Bulbasaur and Squirtle, but I hardly use them. I've also never really used any of the other Fire-types in GenI games. Which is a shame, because I generally like the type, but there's no point in training a Magmar if you've got very little of the story left. And comparisons leave me regretting not picking Charmander half of the time..

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    Classic! xD

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix12 View Post
    Ha. Good point about Pidgeotto too. I think I'll take a flexible approach and allow myself to use anything within the evolutionary families he had - mostly because I don't want to have to keep Bulbasaur and Squirtle in those stages permanently
    Try doing Johto without the flexible part.. No kidding, my Totodile owned Lance..

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    Bulbasaur, its quite bulky which is good for nuzlockes, its strong in the first three gyms, and its status moves make it better for catching other pokemon so its glaring weaknesses against opponents like Blaine, Lance and Lorelei aren't such a big deal by the you reach them. Also, after seeing some ideas for an Ash playthrough I kinda want to do a Red playthrough with Pika Poli and Saur.
    Forgetting Sabrina? Because it's a Poison-type?
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

"If I had my way in DP, Ash would've hit the league with: Pikachu, Ambipom (his to keep), Torterra (Grass/Starter), Lucario (Ace), Chingling (Cute), Bidoof (Water-type) and Heatran (Fire-type)."

Spoiler:- GenVII Starter names speculation:

The second line is meant to be sarcastic.. Though there was a random trainer with a Heatran at the Sinnoh League..

I'm going with squirtle in red and possibly charmander in blue. Squirtle was my first ever starter so I have to go with nostalgia =) and I dont think I ever used charmander in first gen because my brother said it was the worst starter so.

Pokemon fan girl since 1999 =D
    Raichu is #1 Forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post

Forgetting Sabrina? Because it's a Poison-type?
    I just didn't want to list too many, for Gen I Sabrina there's not much to do but go for bulk and power, snorlax, tauros and gyarados are probably gonna be more helpful than any starter. In fact the main reason I'm not that interested in squirtle, Pikachu or charmander is that I like Gyarados, jolteon and Growlithe so much but Bulbasaur was my favourite Grass type in Gen I by far.

I got my first pokemon game Yellow version since I heard I can get all 3 starter. My brother wanted yellow and try to get back at me by getting Red but as a kid that didn't bother since got all 3 starters.

I never use my starters anymore beyond the capture and training of my first Pokemon to level 5, but I will be picking Squirtle and playing Red. Both were my firsts in Pokemon. In Blue I'll probably pick up Charmander, as I have always disliked Bulbasaur. I remember in my recent playthrough of Yellow (still a few years ago though), I tried making an "Ash" team but it wasn't really my cup of tea. A team with all the starters on it and none of my favorite Pokemon kind of made me hate playing, even though I WANTED to make the Ash team hahah. So I have a feeling those 3 gifts will just get shoved into the PC. Might keep Charmander for a while so I have a fire-type though.

I'm going for the beautiful Pokémon Yellow so all three.
    I got a Shiny Reshiram after 97 soft resets .

I'm playing Yellow so I'm going to use all three on my team with Pikachu.

i started out playing pokemon when it first came to the states back in the 90s on blue. ive been planning on purchasing blue for the 3ds this whole time, but now have been debating on getting yellow so that i can have all starters. since breeding isn't an option in these games, and you can't run around catching starters, they will be much harder to get unless people go out there and start their game over and over again just to trade starters out into the world. i just hate pikachu following me.
    3DS Friend Code: Doobius - 1607-2505-9784
    Safari: Electric - Pikachu - Dedenne - Luxio

***Your signature contained too many images. Read the rules before you add anything new.***

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast