Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Symbol Life (413)

No one ever did Answer why there's words on the screen near the end, I've only seen the screen shots..
    Black - JP
    FC: 1848 9979 6673 Trainer name: Billy IDNo: 65021
    White - UK
    FC: 2537 2960 7121 Trainer name: Bella IDNo: 62467
    White2 - JP
    FC: 0819 9968 5972 Trainer name: Benny IDNo: 39588
    Black2 - UK
    FC: 4170 2407 1321 Trainer name: Britney IDNo: 09957

It was a notification of earthquakes somewhere I think.

Well, the drawing-style was a real turn-off, but I was expecting that. The animation team didn't do as horribly as they did with the first GF part, but still, the characters looked either too fat or just .. kinda two-dimensional >.<

I enjoyed the battle though. Although it made Articuno look like an average Pokémon, it was long enough and quite filled with action and twists. And they did a good job with the music =D

I see Team Rocket had to butt in again...but it was okay this time I guess, the motto looked cool XD
    Last edited by Sushi; 30th July 2005 at 2:18 PM.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi
    I see Team Rocket had to butt in again...but it was okay this time I guess, the motto looked cool XD
    When you mention it, I was really expecting Rocket Dan to just roll down the sloping roof, fall off the outside of the building, shout their usual "Yana kanji!" as they fall, and be done with it. Instead, they fell along the inner wall. Thankfully, they didn't take up too much time, and the battle was still pretty great for most of it. I too enjoyed the new look for Seismic Toss, and that was kinda cool-looking how Lizardon's wing got frozen and it rolled along the ground a bit (I haven't seen the screenshots Serebii posted, so I don't know if that scene still looks impressive without the animation or not).

On the bad side, I didn't appreciate Lizardon suddenly learning Overheat, neither. They blew the perfect opportunity to showcase Blast Burn, plus he took Coatoise's signature technique. Now all Coatoise has going for it is its insane defenses, and you just know how the writers love taking advantage of that trait [rolls eyes]. And it seemed a little cheap at the end, how Lizardon was down and Freezer was standing, but Datsura just intentionally calls off the judge's announcement, as if he could predict Lizardon would recover quickly and Freezer would collapse shortly afterwards (you know, Pikachu was declared unable to battle on several occasions, but he managed to recover and stand up again a helluva lot quicker than Lizardon did here). Also, it did baffle me how Lizardon used Seismic Toss, but both fighters seemed damaged. I guess they were trying to dramatize the end of the battle, but the way they pulled it off sure seemed less logical than most other dramatizations (thank god they didn't give Freezer swirly eyes, though. All throughout Houen, every serious battle, every serious, cool-looking Pokemon like Juptle and Oosubame, they all go out with comical swirly eyes that just degrades the seriousness of the battle and the Pokemon's character. Really annoyed the hell out of me). Overall, could've been better, but hey, I got to hear more of Hiyama Nobuyuki, so I'm happy ^^.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 30th July 2005 at 8:08 PM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Blaziken master Guest

I actually thought this battle was pretty good.My favourite BGM played{the one in Jirachi:wishmaker when flygon came to the rescue of Ash and Max}and the new seismic toss was ace.I also enjoyed the explosion between overheat and water pulse.Some of the drawing was iffy, but I've seen worse.I would give it 8/10. Wonder when Scott will make his next appearance?

Which frontier building will they be heading for next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    I think Ash won't go to Kalos right away and there'll be a time skip, thus his grown hair and all. Alexa would leave alone and meet Ash again when he arrives to Kalos.

Blaziken master Guest

The battle arena

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    On the bad side, I didn't appreciate Lizardon suddenly learning Overheat, neither. They blew the perfect opportunity to showcase Blast Burn, plus he took Coatoise's signature technique. Now all Coatoise has going for it is its insane defenses, and you just know how the writers love taking advantage of that trait [rolls eyes]. And it seemed a little cheap at the end, how Lizardon was down and Freezer was standing, but Datsura just intentionally calls off the judge's announcement, as if he could predict Lizardon would recover quickly and Freezer would collapse shortly afterwards (you know, Pikachu was declared unable to battle on several occasions, but he managed to recover and stand up again a helluva lot quicker than Lizardon did here). Also, it did baffle me how Lizardon used Seismic Toss, but both fighters seemed damaged. I guess they were trying to dramatize the end of the battle, but the way they pulled it off sure seemed less logical than most other dramatizations (thank god they didn't give Freezer swirly eyes, though. All throughout Houen, every serious battle, every serious, cool-looking Pokemon like Juptle and Oosubame, they all go out with comical swirly eyes that just degrades the seriousness of the battle and the Pokemon's character. Really annoyed the hell out of me). Overall, could've been better, but hey, I got to hear more of Hiyama Nobuyuki, so I'm happy ^^.
    Overheat may have been Torkoal's signature move, but that doesn't mean others can't learn it, i mean that's like saying Grovyle can't learn Solarbeam cause Bulbasaur has it, and personally i hope Cyndauil learns Overheat as well, they need to be up to date with attacks, now as for the Blast Burn issue, who knows, maybe they want Ash to learn from that lady on two island in the Sevii islands, and may be he, Gary coming back as trainer long enough to pull it off and Hajime could do something like in the manga like running down tunnels doing skill tests for the moves.
    Last edited by Almighty Zard; 30th July 2005 at 9:24 PM.

Almighty, you're missing the point ENTIRELY. Torkoal, like many before it, was a Pokemon that was screwed over ROYALLY by the writers. However, Overheat, a powerful-yet-grows weaker Fire attack, was something that made the little dude unique. Not only do they take that away from him after dumping him from the show, they give it to CHARIZARD. Charizard, the fame-stealer. Charizard, the glory-hog. Charizard the frikking move stealing *****.

Y'know, now that I think about it, Yamato, it may have been too little, too late for Torkoal even before this. I know that throughout the series, they've played up Overheat as Torkoal's very own attack, but that just flies off the bull**** meter. In actuality, Torkoal's exclusive attack is Heat Wave, as I'm sure most of you know. However, if we remember carefully, that attack was seen being used at the Hoenn League in the clutches of Charizard.

So how do you like that? It seems the big lizard is behind much more stealing than we thought. So now, we've seen it use Heat Wave (a Torkoal exclusive move [yes, I'm aware that it can pass on through breeding, but only to 2 other Pokemon! {one of which is Charizard -_-}]), we've seen Ash's pull off Overheat (the attack they we insinuating was Torkoal's), and the Charizard exclusive attack, Blast Burn, has yet to be witnessed, but likely will be showcased sometime in the future. Honestly, isn't it enough already?
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

...I'm pretty damn sure other Pokemon other than Torkoal can learn Heat Wave. o__o; Arcanine, for one, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    ...I'm pretty damn sure other Pokemon other than Torkoal can learn Heat Wave. o__o; Arcanine, for one, I believe.
    I'm still thinking in Hoenn terms.

In Ruby/Sapphire, Torkoal was the only one that could get Heat Wave.

In Fire Red/Leaf Green, Moltres can get it (nothing to fret about). But they also made it so Charizard had it as a move tutor attack. -_-

Before that, I was sure that Slugma/Macargo could get it through chain breeding, but I guess that isn't the case looking at Serebii's Dex. And Arcanine and Ninetales are new news to me, but they still don't really learn-learn it.

EDIT: As a matter of fact... Click. Psypoke says it can.
    V | Faction

Waveblaster Guest

I remember that too. The Chaeizard did use Heat Wave, why couldn't Ash's Charizard use Heat Wave and not steal Overheat from Torkoal...

Why couldn't it have used Blast Burn and saved us some anguish?
    V | Faction

Wolf Cypher Guest

How dare they have Ash's battle against the coolest Brain a simple battle between two Pokémon? The battles should have been like the game: Ash battle a couple of trainers, switching from Rental Pokémon to Rental Pokémon and then battle Noland using Random Pokémon! At least they gave Noland a legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Cypher
    At least they gave Noland a legendary.
    I don't see that as a plus. It means the only possible contender is Charizard. And I'm not too keen on it.

If it was something other than Articuno, we may have gotten a slim chance of another Pokemon.
    V | Faction

Just be glad it wasn't a Pikachu Vs. Articuno fight.

Would it be bad to say that I'd actually prefer that to Charizard coming back, as long as it meant Pikachu getting a new (good) attack? >_>

Hi Volt Tackle!
    V | Faction

Yeah, but you know all the bashing that would come to the anime because of Pikachu taking down a legendary.

People still don't even like it that Pikachu took down Dragonite (despite the fact that Charizard, Squirtle and Tauros all weakened it first)....so I fear what would happen if Pikachu ever DID take down a legendary Pokemon.

-Everyone kept saying that Charizard had "awesome power" at the start of the episode. I couldn't see much of a difference, aside from the fact that Flamethrower had gotten bigger. May also commented that Charizard has "awesome speed". Again, it didn't seem any faster to me.
    -TR's crayon-drawing fantasies never fail to amuse me
    -You have to wonder how TR managed to talk while frozen :/
    -As great as TR is, they really shouldn't be in eppies like this...
    -The ref said "Ready, go!". In English. I find that awesome for some reason.
    -Gotta wonder how winged Pokemon have to flap to take off, but once they're in the air, they can ascend, change direction, and go forward without any flapping at all. They can't ALL be riding on rising hot air.
    -So Charizard apparently can't change the direction of Flamethrower once its started, and it can't stop abruptly if it see that the opponent is just going to dodge the entire thing. Hmm.
    -What happened to Charizard being able to flap its wings to clear away mists, smokescreens, and fogs? Or was it just caught off guard and not able to allevate the situaution beofer Articuno struck?
    -It's oddly appropriate that this episode happened to get Regice eyecatches...
    -Aaaanddd...we get another variation on Seismic Toss. Joy.
    -Remind me again why Datsura had the ref wait before declaring Charizard unable to battle?
    -Wait...so basically, Articuno was owning Charizard for nearly all of the battle, but Charizard was the one left standing after Seismic Toss? WTF.
    -Knowledge symbol? More like the "Charizard always wins(unless its against Blaziken)" symbol.
    -Ash gets another case in which to old the shiny plastic objects he's collecting. Joy...still, it's blue, which is a nice change of place from the omnipresent red(of Pokeballs, Pokedexes, Ash's other badge case, Ash's hat, May's outfit, May's ribbon case, Scott's car, Birch's car, the TR logo...of course, I could probably get a list just as large for other colors). And I like the shade of blue it is.
    -A random thought...will we ever get to see Scott's eyes? Or will they remain hidden behind those sunglasses, but not recieve much notice because people are too focused on Brock's lack of eyes?
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    Yeah, but you know all the bashing that would come to the anime because of Pikachu taking down a legendary.

People still don't even like it that Pikachu took down Dragonite (despite the fact that Charizard, Squirtle and Tauros all weakened it first)....so I fear what would happen if Pikachu ever DID take down a legendary Pokemon.
    I didn't say it would have to beat it! Ha! No, it would a learning experience for Ash, with the bonus of Volt Tackle. Later, they'd have a rematch or something with normal Pokemon.
    V | Faction

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    Why couldn't it have used Blast Burn and saved us some anguish?
    Where's the fun in that? It gives us an excuse to see Charizard towards the end of the BF saga! *jumps for joy*

And Pikachu did sweet shag all to that Dragonite. A Thunder to the head? Wow. And only after three others had to weaken it first. Good work there Pikachu. I would have nearly wanted Pikachu to fight Articuno, just so it could get it's arse handed to it on a plate.

How many new attacks has Charizard discovered with important battles now? Seismic Toss with Magmar (well not really discovered, but first used by him), Dragon Rage with Dragonite, Dragonbreath and Overheat with Articuno. Is that it?

Don't know if it may come back. Seeing Blast Burn in the anime is going to be quite the experience. The attack may suck harder than a Geodude in a rainstorm in the games, but it's portrayal in the anime is bound to be something spectacular. I only wonder what they could pit Char-head against that would rival Articuno, making Blast Burn that more worthwhile. Another legend perhaps?

EDIT: As for the attacks discovered, Dragon Rage was actually during the episode where Ash gained Charizard's trust, remember? It had the Poliwrath with a belt in it. Also, apparently Charizard had Dragonbreath and Overheat ahead of time. So I probably wouldn't say discovered. Used might be better.
    Last edited by V Faction; 30th July 2005 at 11:31 PM.
    V | Faction

As for the attacks discovered, Dragon Rage was actually during the episode where Ash gained Charizard's trust, remember? It had the Poliwrath with a belt in it. Also, apparently Charizard had Dragonbreath and Overheat ahead of time. So I probably wouldn't say discovered. Used might be better.
    I thought the whole belt thing was the standard rage attack? When his tailflame grew massive? That's what the dub told us anyway.

Y'know, now that I think about it, Yamato, it may have been too little, too late for Torkoal even before this. I know that throughout the series, they've played up Overheat as Torkoal's very own attack, but that just flies off the bull**** meter. In actuality, Torkoal's exclusive attack is Heat Wave, as I'm sure most of you know. However, if we remember carefully, that attack was seen being used at the Hoenn League in the clutches of Charizard.
    Now, when I said "Coatoise's signature technique", I was fully aware that several other Pokemon can learn Overheat, and I was aware of Heat Wave. I was just saying, the technique is (or was) unique to Coatoise as far as Satoshi's Pokemon goes.

And Almighty Zard, you were missing the point entirely. Also, since you mention it, someone else could stand to steal Fushigidane's thunder, take that guy down a few notches (probably not Juptle, but Bayleef could stand for some more power, especially when she can learn Solar Beam naturally).

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Quote Originally Posted by Batdude
    I thought the whole belt thing was the standard rage attack? When his tailflame grew massive? That's what the dub told us anyway.
    Hmmm... Are you going by the episode guide by chance (sorry if you aren't, I just checked it)? I recall it being Dragon Rage. It was the attack used to destroy that drill vehicle of TR's. The Dragon Rage against Dragonite, as I can remember, was the finisher (with that climatic dragon taste to it).
    V | Faction

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast